Scientists predict time will stop completley

Pages 1 2 NEXT

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/9337990/Not-enough-hours-in-the-day-Scientists-predict-time-will-stop-completely.html

The theory of time running out was devised by researchers from two Spanish universities trying to explain why the universe appeared to be spreading continuously and accelerating.

Observations of supernovae, or exploding stars, found the movement of light indicated they were moving faster than those nearer to the centre of the universe.

But the scientists claimed the accepted theory of an opposite force to gravity, known as dark energy, was wrong, and said the reality was that the growth of the universe was slowing.

Professor Jose Senovilla, Marc Mars and Raul Vera from the University of the Basque Country and the University of Salamanca said the deceleration of time was so gradual, it was imperceptible to humans.

Their proposal, published in the journal Physical Review D, claimed dark energy does not exist and that time was winding down to the point when it would finally grind to a halt long after the planet ceased to exist.

The slowing down of time will eventually mean everything will appear to take place faster and faster until it eventually disappears.

Professor Senovilla told the New Scientist: "Then everything will be frozen, like a snapshot of one instant, for ever."

Gary Gibbons, a cosmologist the University of Cambridge, told the news website RT that the idea was not as absurd as it sounded.

"We believe that time emerged during the Big Bang and if time can emerge, may disappear as well as the opposite effect," he said.

So what do you think? Escapist?

Hmm... it still doesn't explain why the universe expanded faster than c early on.

Interesting as a thought experiment, but how exactly would one test the idea?

Give me 4 or 5 years after I've finished studying theoretical physics at University (I am actually starting that this year) and I might be able to give you valid thought on it.

Until then:

This universe is fucked-up.

That's really weird.
So like, if everything is going faster, will we notice it? Or will it seem normal 'cause our brains are working faster?

Well, it's not exactly a brand new theory. So what - if it stops it stops, it's not like we'd notice. Nor would we care at this point. On top of that we can't really do much about it either. So, I think it's a moot point to discuss.

However, there might be a problem is some pockets of space "run out of time" before others. I imagine that would be awkward - just think of it like this - an entire town just, well, stops suddenly and that spreads outwards like a wave. That shit would be scary. Just how fast would you need to move to outrun it? And even if you are able to do it...where would you go? Ugh, I'd hate to be caught up in such situ

I see a technothriller whose premise is "Time is slowing down, making things appear to happen faster as it goes on. Why do you think five minutes was an eternity when you were a small child, but a week takes no time at all now that you're an adult?" in the near future. Too bad Michael Chricton is dead. He'd be my first choice to write it.

That is both weird, interesting, and terrifying all at the same time.

What would happen when time stops? Would we even know we are running out? Will one day, we all just stop, and what would happen to any conseince being when it happens?

Well, I just hope it doesn't run out befor

I'm going to need some time to think about this.

Guess I'd better brush up on my Bulgarian. Oh, and go to the loo beforehand. Top priority.

Time would have to be an actual thing that affected the speed of objects, sounds like magic to me.

Oh theoretical physics....

Midgeamoo:
Give me 4 or 5 years after I've finished studying theoretical physics at University (I am actually starting that this year) and I might be able to give you valid thought on it.

That's a nice thought, but I just finished my integrated masters in theoretical physics and all I thought was "Is it in my extremely specific field? No, then it's stupid."

Where abouts are you going? Despite the unique ability it'll give you to be unphased by anything, it's a brilliant thing to do.

Midgeamoo:

Until then:

I thought you were doing Natural Science or is it all under the same degree?

Matthew94:
I'm going to need some time to think about this.

Ba-Dum Cha!

OT: We will find out eventually.

Time did stop completely. Last Tuesday morning.

None of you remember because you were time-stopped.

In fact, time stops every third week, for maintenance purposes.

Matthew94:

I thought you were doing Natural Science or is it all under the same degree?

Zantos:

That's a nice thought, but I just finished my integrated masters in theoretical physics and all I thought was "Is it in my extremely specific field? No, then it's stupid."

Where abouts are you going? Despite the unique ability it'll give you to be unphased by anything, it's a brilliant thing to do.

Yeah I'm doing Natural Sciences at Cambridge, after a couple of years of studying say Chemistry and Physics, you specialize for your 3rd and 4th years.

If I don't get the grades I've applied for straight theoretical physics at Durham for my insurance.

(Important chem exam went well btw Matthew)

teqrevisited:
Guess I'd better brush up on my Bulgarian. Oh, and go to the loo beforehand. Top priority.

България - вечна класика.

But I don't you'll be terribly worried about the loo. How much would it suck to be left in there for an eternity?

However NEW QUESTION: would heaven and hell still continue functioning as normal? And if so, what happens with all those people left in the world - will they move on and join one or the other, or would they stay there forever?

Midgeamoo:

Nice one! :D

I'm glad you did well, especially as it was the one with the jammy requirement.

Rowan93:
Time did stop completely. Last Tuesday morning.

None of you remember because you were time-stopped.

In fact, time stops every third week, for maintenance purposes.

Wow servers being down isn't actually time stopping. Though it feels like it.

Better give me an exact date so I can at least freeze in an awesome pose!

Midgeamoo:

See you back necroing this thread in 2016!

I'm not sure I fully understand what their idea is, but my understanding of physics suggests one of two things would be the case if this were true:

1) Time is indeed variable, but since it is the measure by which all change happens in the universe, there is no perceptible consequence of it changing, and no way for any inhabitant of the universe to know about it. It would be untestable and irrelevant, and there's no point in anyone but philosophers discussing it.

2) Time is locally or universally variable and causes physical processes that should be constant to speed up or slow down. In this case, we might expect to see the measured value of physical constants change. We have not.

It seems to me that the claim is either inconsequential or bogus, and belongs in the same bin as profitable cold fusion.

I'd like to know how time can slow down in such a way that some processes, such as gravitation, speed up or slow down while not comprehensively altering physical constants and showing up as systematic errors in any sensitive measurement we make. Nearly everything in the universe would be altered by this.

Matthew94:

Midgeamoo:

You done your C4 exam yet?

Midgeamoo:

Matthew94:

Midgeamoo:

I have it on Thursday. I've redid every single C4 practice test all over again so I should be fine. I'm just going to brush up on a bit of the trig and a small bit of vectors while I have the time.

The good thing is it's so formulaic so I should be fine. Should.

Matthew94:

Midgeamoo:

Matthew94:

I have it on Thursday. I've redid every single C4 practice test all over again so I should be fine. I'm just going to brush up on a bit of the trig and a small bit of vectors while I have the time.

The good thing is it's so formulaic so I should be fine. Should.

Mhm I find thats always the key word with exams, everything should have worked, but for no explainable reason it sometimes doesn't.
I'm sure C4 will go fine anyway, there's no "weird" questions in it where you're not quite sure what they're looking for, they just plain and simple say "use by parts to integrate this", "test if these vectors meet" etc.

On the plus side without time, we probably couldn't perceive time being stopped.

You know after years and years of studying various fields of science I feel like I have a decent grasp on what someone can throw at me or at least with a little research be able to get a grasp on it. But then stuff like this comes out and I feel like these guys...

Scientists predict that time will soon stop completely. When asked, they theorized it would happen some time next week, when their in-laws were coming over for a visit.

The boy's hand raised, quivering for fear of reprisal.

"But sir," he began, "isn't time just a concept created to measure, y'know, shit, like distance?"

The teacher turned. Glared. The smell of urine filled the air. Slowly, the teacher began to explain...

TopazFusion:
Damn. So this means that Valve will never release HL:EP3/HL3

Without time, a good game will never be made again!

It's just not the same, huh?

OT: Well, this is... mind-boggling. I'm assuming it's being proposed to happen well after everyone currently alive has died anyway, but that's certainly something to try comprehending. Here's a question: After time stops completely, will everything just... cease existing? That would be something to see.

Even though I don't have any scientific background to argue against it, I'm going to have to call bull on it.

Time does not effect how I move; I effect how I move. So I guess while all you people will be standing in place frozen, I'll be going about my day doing whatever I want, taking what I want, and drawing funny faces with mustaches on everybody I see.

Imthatguy:
Hmm... it still doesn't explain why the universe expanded faster than c early on.

Or why it appeared to. c is a speed. Any measure of speed requires time... so, really, the idea of c as a constant is predicated on the idea that time is a constant. If time isn't constant, neither is c.

It might be that when time "began," it was faster than it is now.

Meh. Time is a function of change. I don't like to listen to anyone who seems to treat it as a dimension or some kind of all-powerful force.

Scientists were already saying that the universe may run out of energy. No energy = no vectors to cause change. Old hat.

I love science.

So you're telling me Wintersuns next album is never going to come out after all? : [

If time stopped. We would never know about it. For all we know, time stops every 5 earth seconds.

Sounds like bullshit scare mongering SCIENCE!

If we're going by M-theory then there should be "plenty" of time.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked