Featured ArticlesWhich Next Gen Console is Right For You?Featured Articles - RSS 2.0
There are as many different gamers as there are colors in the rainbow. So when someone asks me "Which next-gen console is the best?" I usually say "You are asking the wrong question."
We already know which console is selling the best. That's the PS4, with 25 million units sold worldwide. The Xbox One is estimated to have sold around 13 million units and the Wii U has sold 10 million.
But that's not usually what people mean when they ask this question. Usually, they mean "Which console will give me the most fun?" and that entirely depends on what sort of gamer you are.
So we have compiled a list of some of the most common gaming archetypes and examined what each next-gen console offers you. Maybe this list can help you decide which next-gen console is right for you. Click onwards for a type-by-type overview, or jump right to who you know yourself to be... though you might be surprised what other viewpoints have to offer:
- The Fighter: Not interested unless they can throw fireballs using a $200 custom arcade stick.
- The Shooter: Only at home behind the sights of a gun.
- The Role-Player: In it for the story, but also enjoys watching numbers go up.
- The Family Gamer: Spends what little free time they have gaming with the kids.
- The Party Animal: Surrounds their consoles with drinks and friends.
- The Indie Hipster: Plays experimental games made by tiny studios funded by Kickstarter. You probably haven't heard of them.
- The Retro Historian: Firmly believes sprite graphics and chiptunes are the pinnacle of game design.
- The Importer: Saikō no gēmu wa, Nihon kara kite imasu.
- The Budget Gamer: Will buy a game or two a year, if they have the money for it.
- The Media Mogul: Games are cool, but they're just a break from Netflix.
- The Sharer: Please like, comment, subscribe, and check out our Twitch.TV channel!
- The Tech Head: Ready to spend all their money on VR goggles, motion cameras, wearable tech, and handheld devices.
- The Brand Loyalist: Buying games for the names.
- The Graphics Connoisseur: Ooooh, look how shiny it is!
You can also just skip to the final thoughts, but why would you do that?