Guy Cry Cinema
5 Food Movies to Make Guys Cry

Firefilm | 5 Nov 2015 15:00
Guy Cry Cinema - RSS 2.0

DISCLAIMER: This is not a series dedicated to proving men shouldn't cry, or to suggest ONLY women cry and are therefore inferior. The goal of this series is to dispel the pre-established (yet flawed) notion that being "manly" and being disconnected from your emotions go hand-in-hand. Even the most macho of men enjoy and even shed a tear at films, and the sooner we can admit that the sooner the concept that one sex is better than the other can go away. While the approach to these articles is one of light-hearted comedy, the emotional core is valid. While men might be more hesitant to admit it, movies often times have the potential to make us cry, for example:

"Food Movies"

November may currently be known as the month before the month of Christmas, but for a select few it means Thanksgiving. A celebration of what America does best: taking things that weren't ours to begin with, and eating a lot of food. Even if you don't agree with Christopher Columbus praising, or think that spending time with your family twice in two months sounds like a special level of hell, we can all agree that sitting down to a warm feast of all your favorite dishes sounds great. Whether you come for the turkey, mashed potatoes, or even non-traditional sides like lasagna, food can make or break a holiday. Movies are no different, and there are several movies dedicated to food. Whether it be how good the food is, what the food means to someone, or even food that might have sinister origins, movies about food tap into a need that we all share. As such, we can all relate on some level to the themes of these films, and care about the characters within. Here's five examples:

1. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Starting off on the lighter side of things, we have a movie literally about food falling out of the sky. This film is always hunger-inducing, even though it's an animated tale based off a children's book. The main character, despite several amazing inventions that the film passes off as not cool enough to garner praise, considers himself unsuccessful. The film dives into exactly what his definition of successful is, after a malfunction results in his ability to not only control the weather but have it create literal manna from heaven. Written by the same guys who gave us The Lego Movie and the Jump Street reboots, this film is 90% jokes. The other 10% is amazing jokes, plus the villain is Bruce Campbell so you know it has my vote.

The film does focus on the protagonist's father having a poor line of communication with his son. After his wife dies off screen, the father retreats into himself and makes very little effort to connect with his son. Even at the end this isn't resolved, with a brain-to-speech translator being the only way the dad can even tell his son how proud he is. The film realized late in the game that it had too much on it's plate and never really resolved that character arch, which is kind of sad.

Comments on