WalkthroughsSee With Jonathan Blow's Eyes in This Crazy The Witness Secret EndingWalkthroughs - RSS 2.0
Want to see through Jonathan Blow's eyes? Whether you want to or not, there's a way to do it in The Witness, the open-ended first-person puzzle experience that only recently landed on PC and PS4. Follow these instructions to fall into a truly meta Easter egg ending right at the start of the game.
The Witness is a huge game with a single, simple concept. Explore a mysterious, colorful island and solve line puzzles spread throughout in whatever order you please. It sounds simple, but the gimmicks in each area get more complicated as you progress. There's a secretive narrative wrapping the whole game together, and if you're interested in a developer's eye view of the whole situation, we've got quite a hidden ending for you.
Get a deeper glimpse into the puzzling gameplay with The Escapist's full The Witness review, and see what we thought of Jonathan Blow's second indie release.
Secret Ending - Easter Egg Guide
WARNING: We're talking about the Ending, so beware of spoilers!
There is a spectacularly strange Easter egg ending right at the start of The Witness. It takes creativity and a close eye, but anyone can reach the end in less than five minutes -- if you know exactly what to do.
Luckily, we totally do. Follow the step-by-step instructions below to enter the ending passage and earn the special full-motion video sequence.
- At the beginning of the game, you appear in a long tube passage. Here, you'll learn the basics of the puzzle mechanics.
- Complete the first line puzzle, then complete the second to reach a colorful garden.
- To the right, you'll see a locked gate with a tall pillar of bright white light.
- Line up the pillar of light with the bright white of the sun. Does it look familiar? That's right, you can complete an ambient light line puzzle using the pillar of light and the sun.
- Press the sun and drag down. The screen will shake and rumble, and you might have to adjust your alignment until the puzzle works.
- Once you're able to interact, the sun is your round start point. Drag downward until the gates open, allowing you to enter the island hotel.
When you're inside the hotel, just follow the linear path up and through the hotel, winding through a cavern and up to a second floor, eventually until you reach a completely black void.
Follow the void to hit the actual FMV ending sequence.
The ending video depicts life through the developer's eyes. You see him wake up, remove devices connected to his head, and put shoes on. For a moment, there's a visible urine jar, presumably connected to a catheter.
He gets up, walks across the office, and falls down. He plays with objects on a desk, explores the restroom, enters the kitchen, wanders outside, and finally lays down on a backyard bench.
What does it all mean? You're going to have to tell us. Let us know what's up with this ending in the comments.
Kevin Thielenhaus is a freelance writer for The Escapist. Find him on Twitter here.