Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 . . . 22 NEXT

Whelp just saw it and it was not only AMAZING BUT SPECTACULAR, it could be the ULTIMATE Spiderman film and its SUPERIOR to any animated film I seen in the past few years(and I even seen more out there films like Isle of Dogs and MFKZ)

First off the animation and aesthetics are God-Like for me, I'm a huge fan of Graffiti and Urban aesthetics and this just tickles my fancy. In every scene in every frame I was just wowed about the quality of animation and art especially when we get to see Gwen's world. While the animation is Jankey at times(low framrate is always going to bother me.) I do think its great overall.

I really enjoyed the characters, while the B-team Spider people didn't get that much characterization I do enjoy their interactions(and I really enjoyed Peni's smugness). The Villians are good, I'm kinda irked that my homeboy Tombstone didn't get much dailouge and Normans inclusion felt very bizarre to me. I really love this version of Doc Ock(its super weird that I think Doc Ock is kinda attractive regardless on which reality we are in) and Prowler's predator like behavior was really enjoyable if a bit creepy. Also writers Kingpin doesn't have super strength so please stop having him go toe to toe with Spiderman. The main cast were enjoyable if a bit generic, its the standard fresh laced protagonist, spunky girl and wise old mentor we seen numerous of times but the trio really have good chemistry.

Another gripe I have is that I wish the film had more fight scenes, the ones we had were good but I feel as if the quota wasn't filled enough for me.

All in all I would give it a 9/10 my favorite animated feature in years

Aquaman

Fucking stupid, cringey, and campy as fuck. I had so much fun. It was written by a 7 year old probably, but the movie also feels like you're watching with a 7 year old's imagination, because I found the film fucking gorgeous. Fun enough action, honestly okay pacing, and AN ACTUAL NICE FEEL GOOD ENDING??? Just plain dumb fun that would be great to watch with some friends and some beer. Really fucking weird music choices, although it adds to the "so bad its good" appeal.

Spider-man: Into the Spider-verse

Amazing movie. Great music, great visuals, great cinematography, EXCELLENT voice acting, on point humor, and just such a fresh experience. BEST END CREDITS SCENE SINCE NICK FURY IN IRON MAN. A true testament to how the animation genre has so much to offer and how allowing creators to do what they truly want results in something special. I might end up watching this a few more times haha

And...Mortal Engines is a box office dud.

God damn it, this is why we can't have nice things.

Bob_McMillan:
BEST END CREDITS SCENE SINCE NICK FURY IN IRON MAN.

"You think you're the only Spider-Person in the world? Mister Morales, you've become part of a bigger multiverse. You just don't know it yet."

Hawki:
And...Mortal Engines is a box office dud.

God damn it, this is why we can't have nice things.

Bob_McMillan:
BEST END CREDITS SCENE SINCE NICK FURY IN IRON MAN.

"You think you're the only Spider-Person in the world? Mister Morales, you've become part of a bigger multiverse. You just don't know it yet."

I love the whole "Anyone can be Spider-Man" message. Really down-to-Earth and relatable.

Also yes, that post credits scene is perfect

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs (10/10)

The most useful thing I could say is "go see this now." I think it is my new favorite Cohen brothers movie. Its a western, and I like westerns. Its an anthology movie, and I like those as well. And its a Cohen brothers movie... I couldn't imagine a movie I'd be more predisposed to like. Great cast, 6 great western stories, great music and score... I can't think of any complaints I have. A couple of the stories move a little slowly, but a: anthology movies are paced differently than other films and B: even if some parts are "too slow," the payoff always makes it worth it.

I'm in general with MovieBob on the grimdark-ification movement. Needing "dark gritty edgy" re-imaginings of everything from Batman to Power Rangers and everything in-between is frankly stupid. But that doesn't mean there isn't a time and place for edge, grit, and dark storylines. A good example is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It EARNS its "gritty dark edge" with great writing. Its a comically dark story, not a story with darkness thrown in to make it more 'mature' and edgy. THIS is how to do "dark" right. Yup, starting off with a singing cowboy musical number.

Its easily the best movie I've seen this year. Its easily the best western of the 2010's. Its probably the best Western made since 2000, and I'd say its right up there with any of the John Ford classics or standouts like Butch Cassidy, The Ox-Bow Incident, or The Magnificent Seven.

Christopher Robin
Not one to be confident in telling other people how to watch media here, but with this I can confidently say you'd be better off watching the first and last 20 minutes while using your imagination to fill in all the hijinks around the middle, as those are where the necessary emotions are and when this mind was not falling into its' natural state of weighing up best available methods of suicide.
The colour palette is a weird choice, but it has a unique charm. Probably not for people with seasonal affective disorder though.
Basically, skip the huge middle. It's not bad, it's just lacking in anything memorable or important.

So after watching Baby Driver and not liking it that much, but still really liking Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I decided to see another Edgar Wright movie I hadn't seen. Scott Pilgrim vs the World. What a mistake that was

So Scott Pilgrim is an Incel. While simultaneously being a Chad. What a self absorbed, manipulative coward.

2/10

At best I can now say that Edgar Wright used to be good. And he probably would have ruined Antman

Kyrian007:

The most useful thing I could say is "go see this now." I think it is my new favorite Cohen brothers movie. Its a western, and I like westerns. Its an anthology movie, and I like those as well. And its a Cohen brothers movie... I couldn't imagine a movie I'd be more predisposed to like. Great cast, 6 great western stories, great music and score... I can't think of any complaints I have. A couple of the stories move a little slowly, but a: anthology movies are paced differently than other films and B: even if some parts are "too slow," the payoff always makes it worth it.

I'm in general with MovieBob on the grimdark-ification movement. Needing "dark gritty edgy" re-imaginings of everything from Batman to Power Rangers and everything in-between is frankly stupid. But that doesn't mean there isn't a time and place for edge, grit, and dark storylines. A good example is The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. It EARNS its "gritty dark edge" with great writing. Its a comically dark story, not a story with darkness thrown in to make it more 'mature' and edgy. THIS is how to do "dark" right. Yup, starting off with a singing cowboy musical number.

Its easily the best movie I've seen this year. Its easily the best western of the 2010's. Its probably the best Western made since 2000, and I'd say its right up there with any of the John Ford classics or standouts like Butch Cassidy, The Ox-Bow Incident, or The Magnificent Seven.

How does it stack up against westerns like Unforgiven, Tombstone and the more recent Hostiles?

twistedmic:

Kyrian007:

How does it stack up against westerns like Unforgiven, Tombstone and the more recent Hostiles?

To me it was better than Hostiles and Tombstone, and I really loved Tombstone. I think it stands up pretty well to Unofogiven, but I can't make a very fair comparison because its been so long since I watched Unforgiven. As I was going back trying to see where I thought a better western was I could only stop for sure right around the late 60's and Butch Cassidy. And big enough fans of Cohen brothers movies could probably argue it is superior to Butch Cassidy but I won't really try to. Buster Scruggs really is to me the best of modern westerns, and I'm someone who enjoyed remakes of classics like 3:10 to Yuma and True Grit. I'm someone who generally hates more recent styles of comedy films, and no comedies with James Franco or the Freaks & Geeks crowd have made me laugh... ever. Franco delivers a line in Buster Scruggs that had me on the floor. One of the most amazing things about Liam Neeson is his voice. Were I to cast or direct him in anything I would make sure to utilize that voice as much as possible. He has a nearly non-speaking role in Buster Scruggs that is as powerful as anything else I've seen him in. And I had to love pretty memorable (if small) roles for Stephen Root, Saul Rubinek, and Clancy Brown. As bleak as some of the stories are, its one of those movies that you wind up feeling like the actors had a blast being a part of it.

Kyrian007:

To me it was better than Hostiles and Tombstone, and I really loved Tombstone. I think it stands up pretty well to Unofogiven, but I can't make a very fair comparison because its been so long since I watched Unforgiven. As I was going back trying to see where I thought a better western was I could only stop for sure right around the late 60's and Butch Cassidy. [/quote]
I'll definitely have to give it a try, seeing as I have enjoyed the Cohen Brother movies that I've seen (The Big Lebowski, O, Brother Where Art Thou, No Country for Old Men and (a long time ago) Raising Arizona).
While I never saw many of the classic westerns (I tried and couldn't get into The Outlaw Josey Wales) if they are anywhere as good as Unforgiven (my personal all time favorite western) or Tombstone then I'll have to give them a shot as well.

Christmas time to watch movies.

Once Upon A Time in The West
9/10

Looks great, and the cast is great. Amazing score by Morricone. The plot is full of conflict driven by money, passion, and revenge (not to mention a couple of holes). Most characters are of the silent type. Claudia Cardinale looks very dolled up, and her role is to be bossed around by the gunslinging men.

Legend
8/10

Tom Hardy as brothers Kray. One is a respected businessman and the other is Kray-zy (I apologize). Hardy's performance is excellent, and the writing is solid - it doesn't stray far off from the real events and even packs in some surprises. The decision to have Reginald's girlfriend be the narrator is an interesting one, because it's not really her story but the Krays'. Morbidly funny at times.

Bumblebee - I give it a high full price. Finally, someone that has done a live-action Transformers movie right. I recommend it to any Transformers fan.

The Mule.

I did not enjoy this movie. The writing isn't very good, the acting isn't very good, and the story is quite frankly rather boring.

Clint Eastwood has multiple threesomes when I'm pretty sure the act would now kill him, and randomly uses racial slurs because "lol old man." These are the most memorable parts of the movie because everything else is just so forgettable, and these are not good parts.

The pacing is bad, scenes feel kind of slapped together. All in all I'd actually call it Clint Eastwood's worse directed movie (that I've seen).

4/10

Brick Mansions
0/10 because I only watched the first 30 minutes. Garbage.

CoCage:
Bumblebee - I give it a high full price. Finally, someone that has done a live-action Transformers movie right. I recommend it to any Transformers fan.

More like done wrong.

Once agian a Transformers propertity where the Human cast is given far more attention and charactacter development then the Transformers themselves.

Worse Bumblebee is treated literally not as a character but a doll. Seriously this movie was essentially the Iron Giant, but with Transformers.

Once again it proves Beast Wars is the best Transformers thing ever.

Shaun the Sheep Movie
9/10

The plotline is a bit dumb, but otherwise this is an extremely good movie. No intelligible dialogue, all creative pantomime. Funny gags and lots of animals doing human things. The story is simple. The message too. You can't help but smile with Shaun and his flock, and appreciate how much thought goes into pretty much every frame.

It's like when you really like a scene with Rocket Raccoon in a Marvel movie, but the whole movie is a pantomimed family version of that.

I just saw BumbleBee and I thought it was kinda underwhelming. The 1st and 3rd acts were good but the 2nd act was teen angst bullcrap, I didn't care about Charlie or her dumb family and we spent too much time on the whole "Kid tries to hide monster under their bed" routine. Bumblee not being able to talk annoys the crap out of me and I thought the villains were boring and unmemorable.

The Transformers bits were great and after the godawful Michael Bay films its great to not only see Transformers have colors and having action scenes where I don't get nauseous. I especially like how Bumblebee fights like a Luchador

The Last Jedi

In the end, I gave the Last Jedi 3 extra stars because I am always a fanboy at heart for the Star Wars brand. But this isn't Star Wars. My anger says it should be a 1/10, but my love will see Star Wars and bump it up to a 4/10

I could agree with most this what you said except this:

ObsidianJones:

Obi-wan did little too, turning off a tractor beam and holding off the bad guy. Yoda just sat on his ass and said, "too soon!" while his pupil lost his arm. Apparently, when you become Master Jedi, you get super dumb, incompetent and stop caring about people.

trunkage:
I could agree with most this what you said except this:

ObsidianJones:

Obi-wan did little too, turning off a tractor beam and holding off the bad guy. Yoda just sat on his ass and said, "too soon!" while his pupil lost his arm. Apparently, when you become Master Jedi, you get super dumb, incompetent and stop caring about people.

ObsidianJones:
The Last Jedi

In the end, I'm giving the Last Jedi 3 extra stars because I am always a fanboy at heart for the Star Wars brand. But this isn't it.

Funny. You right this review and Mauler makes a new video, this time with The Force Awakens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95mL3us0HSQ

Its a Star Wars Holiday Miracle, let us all wallow in the dark times Star Wars finds itself in.

God I miss the Prequel years.

The seats treble to the beat of her hypertrophic heart and heavy breathing. That's the 200kg on my left side. On my right side a trio of dudes from an unknown land, blabbering about. Thank goodness they shut up when the film started.

Jason Momoa has a tough time acting anything that's not just physical. He looks like he's having fun, his right brow is really high, but the delivery is awkward. His character is supposed to be awkward and insensitive, so it sort of fits... Nicole Kidman phones it in (you could say she is out of her element, hahahahaaa). Willem Dafoe collected a paycheck. Dolph Lundgren? Patrick Wilson hams it up. Also he actually looks good in Atlantean regal fashion. So does Amber Heard. She already looks quite like Scarlett Johansson, and it seems she tries to act like her as well. That swimsuit is damn sexy, though. Of course, fans of Momoa's body won't be disappointed either. The Black Guy is built to be this big personal threat to Water Lad, which is pretty cool. He has his own Pirate Theme Song playing, but that doesn't stop him from being just a distraction.

The use of pop music sucks ass. Honestly what the fuck were they thinking?

And what else, what else... I went to IMAX for this film -- my first visit to the all-new, first ever IMAX screen in the country. It looks so good. Avatar on steroids. The surface stuff is alright, but there is magic under the sea. The digital camera goes crazy, and you can follow the action well bar maybe one scene near the beginning. The rest of the action is alright, loved the Crab Rave, but as usual it's hard to tell what actually damages our protagonists and what doesn't. Few MCU-style quips -- it's clear they wanted to make Aquaman feel moist in comparison.

The plot is basic, the story arc too... The message to take home is exactly what you expect. However, there is something in between the lines. Atlantis is us, and we will sink just the same.

6/10 but my IMAX experience was 8/10. The fat lady didn't sing, for she even left before the mid-credits scene.

Bumblebee (6/10)

Bumblebee, without a doubt, is the best Transformers movie I've ever seen.

...of course, given that the only other Transformers movies I''ve seen are Age of Extinction and Revenge of the Fallen, that's a pretty low bar. So when I look at all the positive buzz this film is getting, I'm kind of baffled. Yes, I can buy people ranking it as the best Transformers film, but that in of itself doesn't make it good. Like, not 93% on Rotten Tomatoes good. But that aside, let's look at the movie, and how it relates to the others.

Well, for starters, I think it's pretty clear at the end of the day that this is a reboot, not a prequel. I'm not an expert on the Bayformers lore, but for instance, this takes place in the 80s, and is apparently Bumblebee's first time on the planet, but wasn't he fighting Nazis in the Bayformers universe? There's other things I can get into that I won't (per spoilers), but as far as I can tell, you'd need to be very creative to link the two canons together. While this doesn't bother me personally, I can't help but feel a bit uneasy about this, how its prequel/reboot status was left vague, and presumably as a result, the Bayformers saga will never get its conclusion. Doesn't bother me, but I'm guessing it'll bother a lot of others.

That aside, let's look at how this is as a film. Well, I'm mixed. Thing is, there's a lot of tonal whiplash here. People have likened this to Iron Giant or ET, and while that comparison holds true to some extent, Bumblebee is still a Transformers film, and as a Transformers film, that means fighting robots. In Iron Giant for instance, the action in that film was portrayed as a bad thing - human paranoia inviting destruction. In Bumblebee, violence is the catalyst for the film (the opening shot is fighting on Cybertron), and violence is the solution to issues in the film (Bumblebee fights three Decepticons over the course of the film). Not bad in of itself, but it does make Bumblebee less impactful than the films it's taking inspiration from. I will say that on the Transformers themselves, I do like the 'cleaner' designs it goes for. I don't really have any Gen 1 nostalgia (the Transformers I grew up with were Beast Wars), but I imagine that for those who have fondness for this era, the film's aesthetics will please them more than the more insectoid designs up to this point).

Apart from that...well, what's there to say? Girl finds robot. Girl and robot bond. Girl has boyfriend, job, mean girl, and family troubles. Through robot, girl helps overcome problems. Mean military people want robot. mean military people hurt robot, only to learn that it isn't a mean robot, and the mean robots are the Decepticons (who don't even hide that they call themselves Decepticons, as one mean military guy points out). Good robot beats bad robots, stopping a bad robot invasion of Earth...which might not be a problem, because what's noticable is that the Transformers here appear far less immune to human weaponry than the first Bayformers film, except when the plot demands otherwise. What's also noticable is that the violence is more 'cartoony' - like, two humans are killed at point blank range, but basically are reduced to a watery substance rather than blood and guts. I get the feeling that this film is intended for a younger audience. Certainly the plot is filled with the cliches I mentiond above. On the other hand, if we're comparing it to Bayformers, Charlie (our girl) is at least not hyper-sexualized. She's at least not screaming "Bumblebee!" every opportunity. Her family dynamic is at least not broken by humping dogs. Our Transformers at least avoid stereotypes (though are hardly 'deep'). The fight scenes are at least free of slo-mo, and because of the smaller scale, the stakes are slightly more intimiate. At least...

...you can probably get the issue here. I'm looking at this film in regards to its counterparts. Again, just because it's better, it doesn't mean it's "good." And while it's not bad, it's just...average. it's fine. If anything, it makes me wonder if a live-action Transformers movie can ever be good, because it's an uphill battle to make the bots relatable as characters. Iron Giant was good, but Iron Giant's focus was still primarily on Hogarth and co. - in many ways, the Iron Giant himself is the catalyst for the story, not the protagonist. Bumblebee is in many ways the protagonist (or at least deutragonist) of this film, and it therefore has to accomodate that.

So, it's fine. Didn't sting me, but didn't leave much of a buzz either.

I just got back from seeing Spider-Man: Enter the Spider-verse, and it was awesome!

First of all, the animation was great, especially the colors and camera work with all the weird angles. the music was catchy and the characters were fun (wish the B Spider Team got more to do though, but they were otherwise fine).

The story was also great, not to mention funny as all get out, as well as surprisingly heartwarming (and heartbreaking at points). Also, I like that at least one Spider-Man is well-regarded instead of being a pariah like in 99% of Spider-Man continuity. Oh, and the Stan Lee cameos were nice, if a bit harsh in hindsight.

All in all, I give it a 9.5/10.

Aquaman (6/10)

Aquaman is said to talk to fish, but in this film he talks to whales. Whales are mammals. Ergo, this film fails.

Okay, maybe not, but seriously, how come only Arthur can talk to fish? How come Mera is the only Atlantean (I know she's not from Atlantis, but you get the idea) who can manipulate water? How come...okay, fine, I'm nitpicking, but I can't help but reflect that the movie spends no time explaining their powers. But enough procrastinating, how does the film itself stack up?

Well, per the rating, I can't call this film "good" per se. When you get down to it, its plot is pretty average, and liberally cribs from well-worn hero archtypes, from everything from 'King Arthur' to 'Journey to the Centre of the Earth.' Plot points are easily predicted. The dialogue quickly enters cliche a lot of times. A lot of the time, especially in battles, the film enters the area of "throw as much at the screen as possible." Fairness where fairness is due, the film is certainly creative visually, but there's not really enough time to flesh out a lot of the things it's putting on screen. Like, for instance we effectively see four oceanic kingdoms, but apart from Atlantis, we don't really get any sense of history or culture from them. Also, if we're putting this film in the context of the DCEU, it's pretty segregate. There's a passing mention to the events of Justice League, and Aquaman acts like he's never seen Mera before when they first meet in the film. Also, while not really a plothole, there's no mention of Superman. Not when tidal waves are damaging coastal cities, and not among the Atlanteans. I can't help but wonder if they know about Supes, and if they intend on invading the surface, what their plan would be to deal with him.

When it comes to the villains, the film is also a mixed bag. It has one primary villain in the form of Orm, and one secondary villain in the form of Black Manta. Orm is certainly one of the DCEU's better villains, in that he's got understandable goals, and a sympathetic backstory, even if he's a dick. On the other hand, Black Manta basically has no reason to be here. When he first encounters Aquaman, he acts like they were always destined to meet (pretty falacious there), then develops a revenge complex against Aquaman per the death of his father. Black Manta goes up against Aquaman again later, is defeated, and is never seen again, and mentioned once again in what feels like setup to a plot point, but is never met. Considering the second fight is with him using Atlantean technology, and in the company of Atlantean soldiers, I'm left to ask why he's even here beyond brand recognition. There's no function he serves in the film narratively that couldn't be covered by other existing elements.

All of this aside, the film is still "fun." For everything I mentioned concerning its use of cliches, the film presents itself with such zest that at least some of the time, you can't help but be swept up in it. A lot of this comes down to the visuals and music, the latter of which is especially well done. The characters are reasonably engaging - certainly likable enough. They certainly have the benefit of character arcs. I will say that at the end of the day, I enjoyed this film. That, and if I had to rank it in all of the DCEU films I've seen (which is all of them), it would probably take the #3 spot (potentially #2, but unlikely).

Aquaman - 5/10

It's decent. I liked the action scenes, particularly the trench chase with the deep sea fish D&D Locathah looking creatures. Nice creature design too. Same goes for the Atlantean tech, it might not be all that original, but the whole bioluminescence plus evoking marine life thing works well enough. The nice cinematography helps. Jason Momoa does well at the physical side of things, but ok at best for everything else. Don't remember much of the rest of the cast. I know it had Willem Dafoe, but for some reason they decided to make him boring. Black Manta was kind of there, had a fight with Momoaman, and then quite literally got dumped down a cliff into the sea. There story was ok. Kind of cliched, what with the Momoaman must find the Sword in the Stone and learn to be king en route thing, but it gets the job done. Overall, a fun popcorn movie.

Chimpzy:

The DCEU doesn't do physics well. Anyway, maybe they think flying fish actually fly? The thing about Atlantean lung capacity was explained quickly by Vulko when they first visit Atlantis. Only royalty ever really bothered to learn proper breathing technique.

I might add a couple of things about the movie. I liked how only one car got wrecked in the whole movie. Also the original soundtrack is at times extremely good. I especially enjoy the synthwave-like tracks Kingdom of Atlantis and Black Manta. I watched the Half in the Bag episode about it. Those guys are cynical as hell. "Not every movie should be a Marvel movie, but we totally wanted this movie to be more like a Marvel movie." They aren't super smart either: "The ocean is like, really big, and all we did was put some warships and trash in there."

McElroy:

Chimpzy:

The DCEU doesn't do physics well. Anyway, maybe they think flying fish actually fly? The thing about Atlantean lung capacity was explained quickly by Vulko when they first visit Atlantis. Only royalty ever really bothered to learn proper breathing technique.

I might add a couple of things about the movie. I liked how only one car got wrecked in the whole movie. Also the original soundtrack is at times extremely good. I especially enjoy the synthwave-like tracks Kingdom of Atlantis and Black Manta. I watched the Half in the Bag episode about it. Those guys are cynical as hell. "Not every movie should be a Marvel movie, but we totally wanted this movie to be more like a Marvel movie." They aren't super smart either: "The ocean is like, really big, and all we did was put some warships and trash in there."

I despise Red Letter Media.

Samtemdo8:

McElroy:

Chimpzy:

We know.

Aquaman is mostly a 6/10.

There's plenty of stuff I like such as embracing the schlock and goofy concept very well, Black Manta is great if underused, the direction and camerawork in the action is superb.

The weakest part is the writing. Structurally poor and the dialogue is pretty bad. Also some of the pacing felt too rushed. Momoa's okay, but doesn't have a leading presence personally. The comedy's pretty flat. Honestly got more laughs out of unintentional moments rather than when it tries to be funny.

So yeah, fun in parts, but mostly meh.

Chimpzy:
How come all the named characters have no trouble breathing on dry land, but all the mooks start suffocating the moment their reverse scuba suits break (one time leading to that stupid toilet bowl joke)? Sounds like kind of a problem if they want to invade the surface world, since most of their warmachines (not counting the ones that are just marine life) also seem like they wouldn't do all that well on land.

It's stated in the film that only "highborn" Atlanteans* are capable of breathing underwater and on the surface. Regular Atlanteans will suffocate like a fish if they're not given a water supply above the surface.

*By Atlanteans I mean the species, not just those from Atlantis.

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:

McElroy:

We know.

Its more then that they disliked the Hobbit movies, they just come off as smug and arrogant and cynical.

And I got lectured by a fan in their comment section about how much knowledgeable they are of movies because the main guy apperently had a degree in film school.

I just wanna slap this commenter in the face for such a pretentious, fart sniffing comment.

McElroy:

Chimpzy:

Oh, ok. I probably missed that because I zoned out everytime Dafoe (had to look up that his character was named Vulko) was onscreen. I've seen movies where he's bad, like really bad, but never one where he's just so plain boring as this.

Samtemdo8:

Its more then that they disliked the Hobbit movies, they just come off as smug and arrogant and cynical.

And I got lectured by a fan in their comment section about how much knowledgeable they are of movies because the main guy apperently had a degree in film school.

I just wanna slap this commenter in the face for such a pretentious, fart sniffing comment.

To be fair, the presence of a degree does mean that the person talking about movies knows more than the person without one (usually).

On the other, doesn't mean I have to like RLM's style of reviewing. But then, my like/dislike of movies isn't going to be dictated by what others think.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

To be fair, the presence of a degree does mean that the person talking about movies knows more than the person without one (usually).

The educated criticism should should still come across as good criticism. Gotta make your point with something more than an appeal to authority (of course, the person I'm criticizing here is that fan in YT comments, but anyway). In the Aquaman review the duo doesn't come across as very educated, but I doubt that's their intention anyhow. It's more of a laid-back review. Yeah, they've seen all the superhero movies out there. Some cynicism is expected.

Also regards to the Hobbit: Aquaman shows that you can have a colossal 15-minute crab rave near the end of a single movie instead of having a whole movie literally be about The Battle.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 . . . 22 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here