Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 . . . 35 NEXT

Saw Aladdin yesterday and I'm happy to say that it was an enjoyable movie.

Whatever hung-ups people might have had about the genie's cgi, Will Smith did a great job as a genie, truly enjoyable to see.

9/10.

bluegate:
Saw Aladdin yesterday and I'm happy to say that it was an enjoyable movie.

Whatever hung-ups people might have had about the genie's cgi, Will Smith did a great job as a genie, truly enjoyable to see.

9/10.

Finally Will Smith is in a Decent movie that people likes then. He needed it after Suicide Squad and After Earth.

Samtemdo8:

Finally Will Smith is in a Decent movie that people likes then. He needed it after Suicide Squad and After Earth.

Focus and Concussion were both good/decent, and they're both post After Earth.

John Wick Chapter 3.

Better than the second movie, and it has dogs wearing little bullet-proof vests. Go fucking watch it.

US - 4/10

I found it a serviceable horror movie about a family set upon by their homicidal dopplegangers that combines some home invasion and slasher tropes, along with some social commentary on race, class and privilege. Nothing groundbreaking, but fairly effective at creating suspense and keeping my interest. But then the final act came, and everything was ground to a halt for a lenghty exposition dump about the dopplegangers motivations and background.

Explaining too much is one of my pet peeves in horror and US basically spends 10 minutes doing exactly that. Every bit of tension gone in a flash, replaced by annoyance and a whole cavalcade of new nagging questions resulting from the movie explaining itself.

CoCage:
John Wick 3.................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YEEESSSS!

YES!

AKA, John Wick: Raid Edition! Definitely better than the 2nd movie. Do not miss out on it.

Dirty Hipsters:
John Wick Chapter 3.

Better than the second movie, and it has dogs wearing little bullet-proof vests. Go fucking watch it.

^These. It's a movie that's entirely self-aware and OWNS its identity. Loved every second of it.

Godzilla 5/10

A monster movie with Godzilla as the good guy. It's a simple popcorn movie that looks really nice at times. Bryan Cranston's character is the only even slightly interesting one and he isn't in it for very long. The people in it aren't holding too many Idiot Balls, but I would've liked to see more CARNAGE. Thousands of people die after all. I'm going to see the sequel next week so might as well watch this one first.

Kong: Skull Island 8/10

Huh. I wouldn't have guessed but this is a much, MUCH better movie than the Godzilla reboot. The good actors have actually good roles! Well done action scenes! Monster mayhem! Good sound design and 70's soundtrack! And not forgetting that now we have that CARNAGE I missed in Godzilla. Even a bit of creature design instead of lifting it straight from Cloverfield. Lots of MCU (Loki as British Nathan Drake, Captain Marvel as Elena, Nick Fury still has his eye but left most of his brain in 'Nam, and John C. Reilly in the Heart of Darkness), pays homage to the original (Kong breaks chains and becomes Kratos). One of the best CGI-fests out there.

One disappointment is that Jing Tian's role is to be a token Chinese star. I mean, Tencent's money and all, but her character is useless. Sally Hawkins actually has something to do in Godzilla.

Both Godzilla and Kong have a Metacritic score of 62. Insane.

Rocketman. I liked it, but I was never into Elton John. Went with my grandparents cause my grandmother is an Elton John fan, and my grandfather hasn't seen a movie in theaters in forever. Also apparently this is the first major Hollywood movie to feature a gay male sex scene.

Yep.

Also, this is the second biopic about a gay musician featuring John Reid as a supporting character, and BOTH times he was played by a Game of Thrones actor! Little Finger in Bohemian Rhapsody and Robb Stark in Rocketman.

The guy who plays Bernie looks like Tom Holland and Jesse Eisenberg has a kid.

Godzilla King of Monsters.

Saelune:
Rocketman. I liked it, but I was never into Elton John. Went with my grandparents cause my grandmother is an Elton John fan, and my grandfather hasn't seen a movie in theaters in forever. Also apparently this is the first major Hollywood movie to feature a gay male sex scene.

Yep.

Also, this is the second biopic about a gay musician featuring John Reid as a supporting character, and BOTH times he was played by a Game of Thrones actor! Little Finger in Bohemian Rhapsody and Robb Stark in Rocketman.

The guy who plays Bernie looks like Tom Holland and Jesse Eisenberg has a kid.

I've been seriously considering watching the movie just because of Richard Madden. He was amazing in Bodyguard recently

McElroy:

Huh. I wouldn't have guessed but this is a much, MUCH better movie than the Godzilla reboot. The good actors have actually good roles! Well done action scenes! Monster mayhem! Good sound design and 70's soundtrack! And not forgetting that now we have that CARNAGE I missed in Godzilla. Even a bit of creature design instead of lifting it straight from Cloverfield. Lots of MCU (Loki as British Nathan Drake, Captain Marvel as Elena, Nick Fury still has his eye but left most of his brain in 'Nam, and John C. Reilly in the Heart of Darkness), pays homage to the original (Kong breaks chains and becomes Kratos). One of the best CGI-fests out there.

One disappointment is that Jing Tian's role is to be a token Chinese star. I mean, Tencent's money and all, but her character is useless. Sally Hawkins actually has something to do in Godzilla.

I keep wanting to watch this, if for no other reason that the Skull Island Director is also Directing the MGS movie reportedly in production and I'm curious if he looks like he's up to the challenge. MGS is still probably gonna be awful, but I'm hoping for "So awful it's amazing" rather then "awful"

Dalisclock:

McElroy:

I keep wanting to watch this, if for no other reason that the Skull Island Director is also Directing the MGS movie reportedly in production and I'm curious if he looks like he's up to the challenge. MGS is still probably gonna be awful, but I'm hoping for "So awful it's amazing" rather then "awful"

I've seen it. I'd say it's in a way to the Peter Jackson King Kong movie as Aliens is to Alien but that's not quite right. It's a silly, sort of self aware action movie about soldiers on an island full of monsters. I wouldn't call it very memorable and in fact I've already forgotten most of it but it's... fine. How well the director could handle a Metal Gear movie depends entirely on how closely he decides to stick to the games. If he does adapt them faithfully the games quirky plotting could compensate for direction that doesn't have much in the way of a distinctive style but it's just as likely that they to bland it up and just make it a generic special agent movie.

The thing about Metal Gear is that they're basically superhero stories masquerading as spy fiction, where you have people with names like "Vulcan Raven" and "The Pain" and characters shoot electricities from their hands or control bees without as much as an explanation. And what explanations it does give consists entirely of campy "super science" that would be right at home in a silver age comic book. That way they'd fit in quite well in a post MCU world but I strongly suspect the producers will attempt to tone it down and try to sell it to the Tom Clancy crowd.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Dalisclock:

McElroy:

I've seen it. I'd say it's in a way to the Peter Jackson King Kong movie as Aliens is to Alien but that's not quite right. It's a silly, sort of self aware action movie about soldiers on an island full of monsters. I wouldn't call it very memorable and in fact I've already forgotten most of it but it's... fine. How well the director could handle a Metal Gear movie depends entirely on how closely he decides to stick to the games. If he does adapt them faithfully the games quirky plotting could compensate for direction that doesn't have much in the way of a distinctive style but it's just as likely that they to bland it up and just make it a generic special agent movie.

The thing about Metal Gear is that they're basically superhero stories masquerading as spy fiction, where you have people with names like "Vulcan Raven" and "The Pain" and characters shoot electricities from their hands or control bees without as much as an explanation. And what explanations it does gibt consists entirely of campy "super science" that would be right at home in a silver age comic book. That way they'd fit in quite well in a post MCU world but I strongly suspect the producers will attempt to tone it down and try to sell it to the Tom Clancy crowd.

I think that would actually be a good fit for James Cameron, even though he probably wouldn't make it unless he really wanted to. Alita Battle Angel managed to stay pretty aesthetically and conceptually faithful to the manga source material even though it had to compress the plot.

Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Holy, shit! It's everything I wanted in a Godzilla and definitely better than the 2014 film. A huge improvement. I don't know how they're going to top that with Kong vs. Godzilla, but I know the film will be great either way. I now have to watch Skull Island again. Also, ignore most of the professional critics. They don't know what the fuck they want.

McElroy:

All of your comments are pretty accurate. Though I'd give Skull Island a high full price rating.

CoCage:
Godzilla: King of the Monsters. Holy, shit! It's everything I wanted in a Godzilla and definitely better than the 2014 film. A huge improvement. I don't know how they're going to top that with Kong vs. Godzilla, but I know the film will be great either way. I now have to watch Skull Island again. Also, ignore most of the professional critics. They don't know what the fuck they want.

McElroy:

All of your comments are pretty accurate. Though I'd give Skull Island a high full price rating.

I disagree. The Kaiju are barely in this move! Its just a bunch of unlikable humans doing ecoterrorism and melodrama and very badly done metaphors. I would have loved to have a good Godzilla movie, but for whatever reason Hollywood thinks what people want in a giant monster movie is less giant monsters and more drama.

Silentpony:
Godzilla King of Monsters.

My exact fucking thoughts after watching this movie.

Also can we stop making Godzilla a good guy? The dude is a radioactive Nuclear Bomb made flesh. I am actually rooting for King Kong in the inevitable Kong vs Godzilla movie. At least Kong is technically a hominid like us humans which is more relatable then a big ass nuclear lizard.

Samtemdo8:

Also can we stop making Godzilla a good guy? The dude is a radioactive Nuclear Bomb made flesh. I am actually rooting for King Kong in the inevitable Kong vs Godzilla movie. At least Kong is technically a hominid like us humans which is more relatable then a big ass nuclear lizard.

Funny- that is exactly why I'm rooting for Godzilla. He's a proper monster. And I definitely don't need him to be a good guy.

Silentpony:

CoCage:

McElroy:

I disagree. The Kaiju are barely in this move! Its just a bunch of unlikable humans doing ecoterrorism and melodrama and very badly done metaphors. I would have loved to have a good Godzilla movie, but for whatever reason Hollywood thinks what people want in a giant monster movie is less giant monsters and more drama.

That's weird. AFAIK critics in general pan this movie, because according to them, there is TOO MUCH focus on monster fighting and not enough on human drama. It's also why the critical and audience score are so far away on RT. Don't really know what to expect of this film now.

the December King:

Samtemdo8:

Funny- that is exactly why I'm rooting for Godzilla. He's a proper monster. And I definitely don't need him to be a good guy.

You'd think having the giant lizard monster with atomic breath on your side would be a good thing.

Ma 4/10

SPOILERS!!

Octavia Spencer plays the wannabe "cool" adult to a group of high schoolers and soon becomes eerily clingy. There are a couple of flashbacks that allude to her own awkward experiences in high school which give her actions psychological context, then the movie takes the obvious twists and turns in the end. It would have been fine as a self-aware B-movie suspense thriller had the marketing not literally shown all the best parts and the literal ending. The whole movie is a slow boil with shock moments that tip the film's hand, then the final 10 minutes are pretty much everything the trailers show.

MrCalavera:

Silentpony:

CoCage:

That's weird. AFAIK critics in general pan this movie, because according to them, there is TOO MUCH focus on monster fighting and not enough on human drama. It's also why the critical and audience score are so far away on RT. Don't really know what to expect of this film now.

the December King:

Samtemdo8:

You'd think having the giant lizard monster with atomic breath on your side would be a good thing.

I saw those reviews too. Even watched Moviebob's review where he's like 'finally they stopped it with the humans and concentrated on the monsters!' and they're all full of shit. This movie is 2 hours long and at best has 20mins worth of monsters in it. Its almost entirely humans being dicks to other humans.

Godzilla 2014 had humans who were barely characters. Godzilla King of the Monsters has humans who are characters but I hate them. I am not sure if this is a step forwards or back

MrCalavera:

Silentpony:

CoCage:

the December King:

Samtemdo8:

I know the movie has become decisive among the community, mostly critics, but I enjoyed the movie for what it was. I don't mind the humans in this case (the ones in Skull Island are still the best). At least there something interesting that happens between them while the monsters are duking it out. Besides, this is nothing new for a Godzilla film. There is always a "too many humans/too many monster" or not enough either. All I know is I enjoyed the film.

So, quick question about Godzilla II, would I miss anything if I hadn't seen the one a few years back?

I'm guessing the answer is no, and I'm really in no rush to see it, but it's the only film I'll be able to catch this Saturday after work, so I'm torn between my approach of "see as many films per year as possible" and "kaiju films aren't my thing."

Hawki:
So, quick question about Godzilla II, would I miss anything if I hadn't seen the one a few years back?

I'm guessing the answer is no, and I'm really in no rush to see it, but it's the only film I'll be able to catch this Saturday after work, so I'm torn between my approach of "see as many films per year as possible" and "kaiju films aren't my thing."

Good news, you don't have to see the 2014 film to know what's going on in this one. So if you're worried about that you don't have to worry.

Captive State - 3/10

A sci-fi thriller I watched purely because of it's premise. Aliens succesfully invade and conquer Earth. Humanity surrenders to the alien rule of the 'Legislators'. People are forced into the cities, conscripted into building stuff fort the aliens, and live under strict martial low and constant opressive surveillance from government and law enforcement, who are collaborating with the aliens. Any dissenters are immediately stamped down on and deported off-world. In the meantime, the aliens are plundering Earth's natural resources. The story follows a young man who ends up becoming part of a secret Chicago resistance (led by his older brother) intent on making a showy attack on the aliens to inspire an insurrection, while a cop played by John Goodman tries to prevent it.

Setting sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it. Like a certain sequel game about a crowbar wielding theoretical physicist. So yeah, it's the closest thing to a Half-Life 2 movie I've seen yet. I mean, it even has flying things that are kind of like Manhacks. Did HL2 serve as an inspiration? Don't know, and it's not the basic setting HL2 of is all that unique, so it might be coincidence. Unfortunately, it's not very good. It seems to have plenty of ideas, but no clue what to do with them. Messy editing, poorly defined characters and a story where a lot of stuff happens but without any clear direction make for a briskly paced, but overall jumbled and confusing experience that lacks any real tension.

Also, the movie naturally ends with humanity rising up, meaning it will become extinct soon. Half-Life humanity at least had the advantage that the Combine were extradimensional and got locked out of our dimension at the end of Episode 2, so only the remaining local forces are left to deal with, and there's scientists capable of creating tech that is superior to Combine tech in many ways. Still no picknick, but feasible. The aliens in this movie apparently routinely fly over to Earth and have already proven they can curbstomp the world's combined military might at full strenght and surrender was the only way to prevent annihilation. So yeah, humanity seems kinda screwed.

Chimpzy:
Captive State - 3/10

A sci-fi thriller I watched purely because of it's premise. Aliens succesfully invade and conquer Earth. Humanity surrenders to the alien rule of the 'Legislators'. People are forced into the cities, conscripted into building stuff fort the aliens, and live under strict martial low and constant opressive surveillance from government and law enforcement, who are collaborating with the aliens. Any dissenters are immediately stamped down on and deported off-world. In the meantime, the aliens are plundering Earth's natural resources. The story follows a young man who ends up becoming part of a secret Chicago resistance (led by his older brother) intent on making a showy attack on the aliens to inspire an insurrection, while a cop played by John Goodman tries to prevent it.

Setting sounds kind of familiar, doesn't it. Like a certain sequel game about a crowbar wielding theoretical physicist. So yeah, it's the closest thing to a Half-Life 2 movie I've seen yet. I mean, it even has flying things that are kind of like Manhacks. Did HL2 serve as an inspiration? Don't know, and it's not the basic setting HL2 of is all that unique, so it might be coincidence. Unfortunately, it's not very good. It seems to have plenty of ideas, but no clue what to do with them. Messy editing, poorly defined characters and a story where a lot of stuff happens but without any clear direction make for a briskly paced, but overall jumbled and confusing experience that lacks any real tension.

Also, the movie naturally ends with humanity rising up, meaning it will become extinct soon. Half-Life humanity at least had the advantage that the Combine were extradimensional and got locked out of our dimension at the end of Episode 2, so only the remaining local forces are left to deal with, and there's scientists capable of creating tech that is superior to Combine tech in many ways. Still no picknick, but feasible. The aliens in this movie apparently routinely fly over to Earth and have already proven they can curbstomp the world's combined military might at full strenght and surrender was the only way to prevent annihilation. So yeah, humanity seems kinda screwed.

That sounds like a beat-for-beat copy of Robot Overlords, with Ben Kingsley's part taken by Goodman and the alien robots replaced by aliens piloting robots. And no Gillian Anderson. And Chicago replacing some arse end of England. And money replacing whatever stale tea and biscuits were funding it. But equally disappointing. The Half Life 2 aesthetic seems initially more interesting though. I may watch it just to feed off the inevitable disappointment anyway.

Ghost in the Shell (the new one) 4/10

Dark. You need cyber-enhanced eyes to see anything. I was bored most of the way.

Neurotic Void Melody:

Chimpzy:
snip

That sounds like a beat-for-beat copy of Robot Overlords, with Ben Kingsley's part taken by Goodman and the alien robots replaced by aliens piloting robots. And no Gillian Anderson. And Chicago replacing some arse end of England. And money replacing whatever stale tea and biscuits were funding it. But equally disappointing. The Half Life 2 aesthetic seems initially more interesting though. I may watch it just to feed off the inevitable disappointment anyway.

Never seen or heard of Robot Overlords, but I'll take your word for it. Also, no, Captive State does not have a similar aesthetic to HL2. It's more a similar setup and some stuff that is functionally analogous. Tho the aliens do have some interesting designs. 'Cept the hunters. They look like they repainted a Halloween costume.

Godzilla II: The King of Monsters 5/10

Loud. Mothra is cute. Characters are so plain, boring. Every time it seems to rev up a little everything descends into aimless noise and destruction. The kid character Madison shows most personality by having a Rick Sanchez sticker in her laptop. Also apparently this guy rents Tony Stark's cabin from Endgame for his wolf photoing trips. Bloodless, but hey at least a couple of soldiers got disintegrated.

Booksmart. Coming-of-age comedy. Lighthearted and fun - really enjoyed. 8/10.

Baffle2:
Booksmart. Coming-of-age comedy. Lighthearted and fun - really enjoyed. 8/10.

I saw some ads for it and I was sure they were for an online bookstore.

Captain Marvel

Having only known her from Avengers: Endgame there was very little I could have told you about the character of Capatain Marvel aside from her being, more or less, busty blonde Superman. Her standalone movie establishes her as an elite space soldier, in other words, she's more like busty blonde Superman crossed with Samus Aran, which sounds like it would make a rock solid premise for a movie, now that I'm, writing it out. And I think "solid" is a pretty good way to describe what actually came of it.

Captain Marvel is the story of Vers, portrayed by Brie Larson, elite soldier of an intergalactic military force called the Kree, lead by Yon-Rogg (Jude Law). Vers gets captured by a shapeshifting alien race called the Krull, crash lands on earth and teams up with a young Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) to fend off an alien invasion. As far as we know at this point, anyway. I think what Captain Marvel is going for is a Demolition Man, early 90s action Sci-Fi vibe, as a matter of fact it's even set in the early 90s, but it's a movie with commitment issues. Captain Marvel is a rather shizophrenic cross of Space Opera, Fish out of Water story, spy movie and Superman pastiche with a particular fondness for flashbacks that don't exactly benefit the movies pacing. There's not much wrong with the movie in particular outside of these pacing issues, the actors are all turning in a decent performance. Brie Larson, generally a good actress, tries to make the most of a character that reflects a lot of the MCUs general struggles with writing female characters with actual emotional depth, Samuel L. Jackson... actually seemed like was phoning it in a bit and Ben Mendelson turned what has to be one of the most generic alien designs ever put to film into a decently memorable characters.

Captain Marvel is a enjoyable movie that I find very little wrong with, aside from a few sequences where it feels the need to stop in its tracks and slobber over the US-Airforce for a minute before returning to its plot. But to its credit, there were fewer of these sequences than I was afraid there'd be. I feel like Larson could very easily turn in a performance as popular as that of the franchises bigger names if she had a bit more to work with. The movies villain chastised her for not having her emotions under control which is funny, because I wish the movie had given her a bit more opportunity to be emotional, the warmth that's coming through in some of her closer character interactions would make her very likeable, if there was more of it.

Still, it's a fun movie and in a world where it wasn't impossible to write a female characters that's both competent and confident without having everyone in the Peanut Gallery scream "Mary Sue" at her there'd be very little reason for the movie or the character to be controversial in any way. It's a typical "go ahead and watch it if you have nothing better to do" movie so, you know, do that if you feel like it. And just to weigh in on that incredibly productive discourse: I think I enjoyed it slightly more than Alita: Battle Angel. So, there you have it. Now you know which dumb action movie for twelve year olds I prefer. How's that for a statement?

PsychedelicDiamond:
Captain Marvel

Still, it's a fun movie and in a world where it wasn't impossible to write a female characters that's both competent and confident without having everyone in the Peanut Gallery scream "Mary Sue" at her there'd be very little reason for the movie or the character to be controversial in any way. It's a typical "go ahead and watch it if you have nothing better to do" movie so, you know, do that if you feel like it. And just to weigh in on that incredibly productive discourse: I think I enjoyed it slightly more than Alita: Battle Angel. So, there you have it. Now you know which dumb action movie for twelve year olds I prefer. How's that for a statement?

Joking aside, at least you weren't hyping up the movie as the best/most terrible thing like some people were doing on this site and outside of it. Nor did you put down or insult others for liking or disliking C.Marvel/Alita. And this is why I respect you so much.

Chimpzy:
Never seen or heard of Robot Overlords, but I'll take your word for it. Also, no, Captive State does not have a similar aesthetic to HL2. It's more a similar setup and some stuff that is functionally analogous. Tho the aliens do have some interesting designs. 'Cept the hunters. They look like they repainted a Halloween costume.

in most circumstances, would recommend against taking word from such an entity, but in this case it's a wise path. for once. wouldn't have bothered watching it if it didn't have Kingsley or Anderson in. intrigued by the designs now, as almost all alien designs are one of the most annoyingly dull outcomes of the sci-fi genre where they never try to make them feel truly "alien" for whatever hack reason (*frowns disapprovingly in Mass Effect's general direction*). Arrival was about the closest to provoking that feeling through sight alone so far. if real life aliens turn out as dull and hackneyed, well I'm not gonna hold back on telling them, they need to know these opinions

Pages PREV 1 . . . 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 . . . 35 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here