Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 . . . 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 NEXT

Terminator: Dark Fate
Dark fate indeed. Star Wars 2015 meets Halloween 2018: let's resurrect the original stars back so they can wink at the camera while sponsoring new hotshots that will hook the millennial crowd with their Disney Channel wokeness. Fucks this movie.
Alright. I really dig Mackenzie Davis as an action heroine. She's the one good thing about the movie, even if it means Linda Hamilton gets the limelight. She's got the chops, the looks and the screen presence. "Dani", on the other hand, can fuck off.
Speaking of Halloween 2018, what do you know, original heroine returns as the head of three generations of female badasses all bent on destroying one man (well, machine - or shell of a man, to keep the Halloween analogy running).
This begs the question: when do we get Alien 5 starring Sigourney Weaver for 10 minutes and 2 other younger actresses fighting off patriarchy in the form of a xenomorph?

Johnny Novgorod:
Speaking of Halloween 2018, what do you know, original heroine returns as the head of three generations of female badasses all bent on destroying one man (well, machine - or shell of a man, to keep the Halloween analogy running).

The really silly thing about that movie is that it's a direct sequel to the first Halloween, yet Laurie Strode is doomsday prepping like she's actually aware of Myers' legacy as an unstoppable killer established in the sequels. Like, I know that was an awful night for her, but little of her encounter with Michael justifies taking this many precautions for so many years, like it's the freaking Predator. And I actually like the 2018 movie, but this is always in the back of my head.

OT: I saw Revenge, the 2017 French/English rape revenge movie, and it was a damn good ride. It's a very simple premise and obviously a bit exploitative with the whole rape revenge. But the actual rape is not overly brutal or shocking for the sake of getting the audience riled up for the revenge to come, yet still really uncomfortable to sit through. The directing is magnificent and the movie looks gorgeous. And boy, does it get bloody as all hell.

Johnny Novgorod:

I think you're really overthinking this?

This begs the question: when do we get Alien 5 starring Sigourney Weaver for 10 minutes and 2 other younger actresses fighting off patriarchy in the form of a xenomorph?

Hopefully never.

I'm not opposed to an Alien 5, but I am opposed to it overriding Alien 3 and Resurrection because people still can't get over Newt and Hicks.

Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines (5/10)

So, in preparation for Terminator: Dark Fate, I went back and watched this. I mean, Dark Fate is selling itself as the "real" Terminator 3, so let's see how this film stacks up. This film, which has regularly appeared at the bottom of my Terminator movie lists. Watching it now, again, what do I think of it? Well, to be honest, I like it even less now.

Thing is, this isn't a bad movie by any means. It's perfectly adequate. But there's two ways I can evaluate it - as a movie in its own right, and as a movie in the Terminator franchise. As the former, it's fine, but the pacing feels off. It feels rushed for about 80% of the movie, and slows down a bit at the end. Also, there's numerous little leaps of logic here that add up to a lot of aggravation. Where does Arnie get the shotgun? How does the T-X get to the cemetery so quickly when the characters spent hours driving there previously? How are John and co. able to just walk into CRS carrying explosives and automatic weapons? Why are the T-1s and Hunter Killers equipped with live ammunition (granted, it could be the T-X providing them). Why does Arnie ignore Kate telling him to let her go throughout the film, but follows her orders to save her father when the plot demands it? These are nitpicks, granted, but I can't help noticing it.

Now, that aside, how does this film feature into the Terminator mythos? Well, simply put, it doesn't. Or, rather, it does, but the irony of T3 is that it's riffing off T2 in its plot structure, yet simultaneously undermining it. T1 and T2 have the theme of "no fate, the future is not set." T3, on the other hand, goes "yes fate, the future is set." I mean, the ending did manage to give me chills watching it, but it's an ending that just doesn't tonally shift with the franchise up to this point. T2 more than anything suffers from this because it means that all the protagonists' actions in the film were for nothing. I mean, sure, maybe JD is delayed a few years, but there's more people in the world in 2004 than 1997, and Salvation shows how messed up the future is as a result of changing the timeline (though that's not T3's fault, granted). Also, something I noticed when watching this is how 'basic' the directing is compared to T2. T2 utilized heavy colour schemes, such as blues and oranges for its scenes. T3 occurs almost entirely in daylight. There's nothing interesting in cinematography here, nor is there anything meaningful in its score. I can try and look at T3 on its own terms, but as the third film in a series, I can't look at it in isolation. More than anything, the "minigun scene" in both films shows the difference between them. T2 has better music, better atmosphere, and the "0.0" casualties from the T-800 is part of its character arc. In T3, the scene is just there because it's cool to see Arnie fire a minigun. That's it. It happens over a few seconds, and we move on. Again, adequate. But in comparison, lacking. Also the CGI hasn't aged that well. The Terminator CGI is fine, but there's a lot of noticeable greenscreen effects. And likewise, the chase, as big as it is, feels bloated compared to the truck/bike chase in T2. That was smaller, but the stakes felt more intimate.

There's also mini things, in that the timeline doesn't really make sense in various dropped comments (e.g. John says he was thirteen when T2 happened, but that would mean the film would take place in 98, a full year after JD was meant to happen), but that I can overlook. What is harder to overlook is that John doesn't really get a chance to do much here, and comes off as a bit of a whiner. If anything, Kate has a more interesting character arc...sort of. Thing is, I get what they were going for with John - a man who knows what the future holds and wants to desparately avoid it, but it just doesn't work that well. Partly because apart from the very end when he uses the radio, he never really does that much, or, rather, anything that affects the plot. It also doesn't help that the T-850 assassinating him in the future has no payoff, and requires future!John to hold the idiot ball. FFS, as soon as John sees Arnie, he asks, not unreasonably, if he's here to kill him. Future John apparently saw Arnie and thought "gee, he looks like Uncle Bob, let's let him in." Again, I see what they might have been trying to do, to emphasize that this is a machine that simply follows programming, but it just doesn't work. And if I compare it to T2 Arnie, it works even less. A robot discovering its humanity might be a clich?, but it's a clich? that works. Here, there's setup, but no payoff, and unless there's a film that ever takes place in 2032, there likely never will be.

And as for the T-X...I'm kind of mixed. Thing is, the T-X started a bad trend of constantly having to one-up previous models, and while Genisys did something interesting with the T-3000, that was primarily because of the character dynamic, not the technology one. Kristana Loken is fine, but she's trying to imitate Patrick, and it just doesn't work as well. I actually noticed watching this that a lot of her head movements are more stiff than Patrick, and I think that's intentional, as the T-X is a solid robot while the T-1000 is pure liquid metal, but that, coupled with line delivery doesn't have the same effect. Compare "Say, that's a nice bike" to "I like your gun," and tell me which line has more intimidation behind it. Also, it might be that knives have more of a horror factor than plasma cannons, but I dunno.

Also, it occurred to me that the ending would have been better if the TX was destroyed in the particle accelerator, and ended with the corrupted T-850 fighting John and Kate, with John killing him. Symbolism of John killing his 'father' as JD is stopped, and riffing off T1 as the T-X has riffed off T2. Just a thought.

So, at the end of the day, how does T3 stack up? Well, what we're left with is a perfectly adequate action movie...and a Terminator movie that absolutely derails the story that led up to it. T3 is T2 lite. It's louder, dumber, and undermines the movie it bases itself off. It's also the movie that marks a shift in the franchise, because while I like Salvation and Genisys, they're still not on the level of the first two. In many ways, T3 is the moment where the franchise jumped the shark, and while it's swum back to the shark, it's never been able to jump back over it. I don't know if Dark Fate will manage that, but whatever the case, T3 has always been my least favourite Terminator film. After re-watching it, I'm even more convinced of that assessment.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

I think the people making these movies are overthinking this.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:

The really silly thing about that movie is that it's a direct sequel to the first Halloween, yet Laurie Strode is doomsday prepping like she's actually aware of Myers' legacy as an unstoppable killer established in the sequels. Like, I know that was an awful night for her, but little of her encounter with Michael justifies taking this many precautions for so many years, like it's the freaking Predator. And I actually like the 2018 movie, but this is always in the back of my head.

I liked it too, Michael is scary again, the dumb sibling twist is undone and I hate they killed Laurie in Resurrection, so it's nice to see her vindicated... And shafted by turning her into a survival freak that has wasted her life prepping for a duel against a man that couldn't give two shits about her and only coincidentally runs into her for a meaningless (to him) "final" encounter.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

Hopefully never.

I'm not opposed to an Alien 5, but I am opposed to it overriding Alien 3 and Resurrection because people still can't get over Newt and Hicks.

Any movie after Alien, Aliens, T1 & T2 are bad fanfics. Salvation was at least decent and tried so hard.

Black and Blue High Matinee. A good action thriller Naomi Harris & Tyreese Gibson. I never saw any trailers (my mom took us to the show), so I did not know what to expect. I was surprised to see Frank Grillo in this movie. Definitely put a smile on my face. There are a few other surprises I won't spoil either. Go see it if you want to kill off an an early morning or afternoon.

CoCage:

Any movie after Alien, Aliens, T1 & T2 are bad fanfics. Salvation was at least decent and tried so hard.

I'm not going to debate the notion that both franchises peaked at their second film (because I agree), but I'd say there's a difference between the scenarios here. Terminator is based on time travel and alternate timelines, so "fanfiction," if we're calling it that, can come and go. In contrast, Alien obstensibly has a single timeline, even if the canon is a mess via the EU. Whatever one thinks of Alien 3 and Resurrection, they can't just be swept under the rug in the same way that Dark Fate is attempting to do with T3 and Salvation.

The Force Awakens:

It was alright. I like Rey. She isn't incredibly charismatic, but she's fun in this. Finn is wasted potential. I was on board for where they were going with him, but his turn from "We're never going to win and I need to run" and "I need to help Rey!" was entirely unconvincing. It also felt like they were trying to go for a romance between Finn and Rey that felt hollow. Han's scene with Kylo Ren was great and I love Poe and Finn's relationship.

The Last Jedi:

I enjoyed it well enough, but it's kind of a mess. Finn is even more unbearable. I get what they were going for with Poe, but that last second twist of "Oh, Amilyn had a plan all along!" felt cheap. It would have been better if we were told Amilyn and Leia's plan, but Poe mutinied anyway. All Amilyn did was quote Leia for a while and that made her seem incompetent for the sake of a reveal that feels dishonest. I liked everything else, though. Poe, Finn, and Rose ruining the plan by going behind Amilyn's back was great. I liked Rey meeting Snoke and Ren's betrayal. I was kind of iffy on the Luke stuff, but I liked puppet Yoda. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the final movie in the... sequeilogy?

CoCage:

I'll agree to half of your opinion. Most things are better than BvS, but MoS is better than Joker. I like Joker, but I agree to an extent that most of its themes are window dressing. Joker is obviously more of a character study, but if you're going state the obvious with your themes, then do something with them or don't. I am in no rush to get the DVD when it comes out. but at least the film was a fun experiment, and I like to see more comic book movies do more weird experiments than copy the MCU verbatim. Luckily, we are getting that now.

Meh. I have a strong dislike for Man of Steel and the DCEU's Superman in general. At the very least I can enjoy Joaquin Phoenix's performance in Joker. Man of Steel has nothing for me. I do agree that DC taking a different path is great and I hope that continues, I just hope Joker doesn't influence future films.

Terminator: Dark Fate (7/10)

Before I say anything else, I'm going to try and talk about this movie on its own terms. Honestly, it's pretty decent. The characters are good, for the most part. It does get a bit exhausting towards the end, because there's stuff constantly being thrown on the screen in a style that reminded me of Transformers (and not in a good way). I will say that this film is political, or at least touches on issues such as automation, border control, and feminism (there's a line that may as well be "the future is female"). Whether these are good or bad things is up to you, but while the film doesn't really examine these things, it doesn't beat you over the head with them either. And concerning plot, again, decent, but there's plot twists that if you haven't seen trailers you should be able to see coming a mile away, and if you have seen the trailers, congratulations, you've seen those 'twists' in action.

Now with that said, I'm going to rank this as a Terminator movie, and oh boy, there's a lot to talk about here. First of all, let's deal with the premise, both in-universe and out of it. People, some of them those who worked on the film, have called this the "true Terminator 3" or a "true sequel." As far as I'm concerned, that's definitely not the case. There's still a gap in quality and narrative between T1/2 and DF, and DF doesn't have any more right to 'true sequel' status than any other installment in the franchise. And even if that was the case, considering that John Connor is killed on-screen within the first five minutes, then if it's a trilogy, it just doesn't really sync. The last shots of T2 are with the Terminator giving its life to save the future, and Sarah facing said future wtih a sense of hope. Now imagine popping Dark Fate on and seeing "nope!" It's not as egregious as T3 (more on that later) but already the premise doesn't make sense. So Skynet not only sent multiple Terminators through time (retconning T2 in its first five minutes), but apparently sent them to dates well after 1997. That they're coming from a future that no longer exists isn't the point. What is the point is that these dates don't make sense, because why would Skynet send them after JD. Oh and yes, if you haven't figured this out, Arnie, the Terminator who kills John, is the one that the group teams up with. Because after completing his mission, he grew a 'soul,' and connected with a family, and oh God, spare me. T2 did it first, and did it better.

Did I mention T2 did something better? Well, get used to that. Because DF is really a blend of T1 and T2, and like every film in the franchise that follows those films, fails to eclipse them. But it does have its own essence, though that raises a potential conundrum - how close to its predecessors should a film stay, even when there's Watsonian precedent for differences? Because in many ways, DF is different, and I'm not sure how I feel about that. For instance, the future war scenes have machines that move much faster, have tentacles, and if anything, kind of remind me of Edge of Tomorrow with the aesthetics and equipment used. Miller uses a much 'faster' style of directing than Cameron, and this is exemplified with the action scenes, both future and present. Now, arguably, this is intentional, because at the very start, we have a flash forward to the future war as it existed under Skynet, and then more flash forwards that show the world under Legion. So yes, there's a point of contrast, and it's not the only one. Also, the REV-9, which is basically the T-1000 on steroids. He flips up, jumps up, has moments of body horror in the way he moves, roars in a demonic manner at the end, and Grace fights him with just as much speed and, um, grace. Also, I get the sense that they're trying to harken to the T-1000 in that he was a police officer, while the REV-9 is using a border patrol uniform for most of the movie, but even if the uniform is similar, the effect isn't. Gabriel Luna is trying, and at times does a great job of conveying menace, but he can't eclipse Patrick. Also, at times his abilities don't make sense. Like, he can portrude spikes from his body, but never uses this ability against Grace, even when she's at close quarters.

So the question is, in regards to DF branching out, is this bad? Should Dark Fate stick to the slower style of the past films, where machines and Terminators moved and fought slowly? Or should it do its own thing, showing how future-future technology is even more lethal than future technology? TBH, I don't know. Or, I sort of know, but I'll address that at the end of this review.

There's also a matter of context. DF is clearly trying to modernize itself with its socio-political themes, and that includes technology. The REV-9 for instance is able to track the protagonists by hacking into the Internet and accessing street cameras, and later, UAVs. DF is very aware that 2020 is a far more advanced world than 1995, and it leverages that in the plot. Again, I'm not sure how to feel about this. I mean, Genisys paid lip service to these ideas, but DF outright engages with them. And I guess that's a good thing, but...I dunno. "It's different, and now it sucks" comes to mind. Again, whether this is good or not will depend on how you view franchises, as to whether they should evolve with the times or not.

I'm also going to comment on the characters, um, again. Like I said, they're pretty good. Much better than I thought they'd be actually. Grace is this film's equivalent of Kyle Reese, and she follows a similar...not exactly arc, but her relationship with Dani is similar to Kyle's relationship with Sarah...sort of (I actually won't go into spoilers here, even though you should see the 'twist' coming a mile away). Likewise, Dani. I really like Dani. She's the film's equivalent of T1 Sarah Connor, but while she has a similar arc from helpless bystander to hardarse, I'll say it, it's an arc that's better done. In T1, Sarah was helpless for about 90% of the film, to the point where they reach the factory. Dani's arc is far more spread out. That she's the leader of the Resistance, not the "mother of a man" (gee, subtle) actually works in her favour, because we can see her emerge to a person that I can understand why people would follow. Determined to do the right thing, and with a strong moral core. For Arnie, there's not much to say, only that we're really stretching ways to get him to keep coming back (hardy hah hah), and the film doesn't even really need him. The most payoff from Arnie is the final shot between him and the REV-9. Let's say I was hoping the film would do something between them, and in a sense, it does. And yes, his last line...sniff, hit me in the feels.

Which leaves us with Sarah. Hmm. Okay, thing is, her arc, if it can be called that, is dependent on John's death, so if John was to come back in this film, it would have to be rewritten. I've seen people say that Sarah is the true protagonist of the series, and while that's not an unreasonabel statement, I've always seen that position belonging to John. The plot's always revolved around him in some form, even when he wasn't on screen. But that aside, Linda Hamilton is fine. I couldn't help but smirk numerous times at seeing this sixty-soemthing year old still be a badass and not take shit from anyone or, in some cases, anything. It's arguably a form of fanservice, but it's fanservice with arguably a point in that Sarah represents the 'old guard' while Dani and Grace are the 'new guard.' However, I have to ask, for those who've seen the film, shouldn't her cotnact in the USAF be Daniel Dyson? I thought that would have been such an obvious narrative choice, but no, it's just some guy we've never seen before who gets five minutes of screentime.

There's also something else I want to touch on, and that's this film's idea of Judgement Day. In this timeline, an AI called LEGION is developed for cyber-warfare who, one day, decides "screw humanity." Fair enough, Skynet was a jerk like that. What I like though is how it isn't nukes first. Grace, narrating the future, shows how one day, everything just shut down. Cities go dark, planes literally fall from the sky, etc. A nuclear war still happens, but there's a kind of 'quiet horror' to it. That an AI

Also, speaking of the USAF, we have a one robot attack on an airfield, and said robot commadeers a plane and destroys a pair of fighter jets with it. Again, Transformers.

So. Dark Fate. A film that has an open ending and the potential for sequels, but as far as I'm concerned, no great need for them. Is it a better film than T3? Well, yes, in part because it doesn't subscribe to the idea that fate is inevitable. That the future is constantly in motion, and constantly mutable. But even that aside, it's a more interesting film in its concepts, and while it takes inspiration from the first two films, it doesn't use them as a crutch as T3 did, or arguably, even as Genisys did. On the other hand, it's not as good as those films, so it's left jostling with Salvation and Genisys in my ranking system. But that aside, I asked a question earlier in this review - what should a franchise do when it's asked to either evolve to stay relevant, or to stay true to form? I don't know. But Dark Fate primarily chooses the former. So it's less of a T3 or a sequel to T2, and more a film that uses T2 as a jumping off point, to do its own jumping off point, to set up films that will presumably do their own thing. Hence, I don't see Dark Fate as a "true sequel." I see it as a film that branched off from T2 like so many other pieces of Terminator media did.

So, did I enjoy the film? Yes. Is it a masterpiece? No. Has it made Terminator relevant again? Possibly. Will I be torn up if this is the last film? Not really. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this film doesn't do well, then years from now there's another reboot or branching off point. But, whatever. Good, if not great.

Captain Marvelous:

The Last Jedi:

I enjoyed it well enough, but it's kind of a mess. Finn is even more unbearable. I get what they were going for with Poe, but that last second twist of "Oh, Amilyn had a plan all along!" felt cheap. It would have been better if we were told Amilyn and Leia's plan, but Poe mutinied anyway. All Amilyn did was quote Leia for a while and that made her seem incompetent for the sake of a reveal that feels dishonest. I liked everything else, though. Poe, Finn, and Rose ruining the plan by going behind Amilyn's back was great. I liked Rey meeting Snoke and Ren's betrayal. I was kind of iffy on the Luke stuff, but I liked puppet Yoda. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the final movie in the... sequeilogy?

I think it would have been way better if Leia was the one Poe was mutinying against. Holdo is an unknown quantity. But with Leia, she has lead the rebellion for a long time and probably has a good plan. But... Carrie Fisher clearly wasn't doing well.

trunkage:

Captain Marvelous:

The Last Jedi:

I think it would have been way better if Leia was the one Poe was mutinying against. Holdo is an unknown quantity. But with Leia, she has lead the rebellion for a long time and probably has a good plan. But... Carrie Fisher clearly wasn't doing well.

I disagree there. If Poe was rebelling against Leia, everyone would know that Leia was on the level. Holdo's an unknown factor though, and there's the chance that she's a First Order agent, or at least, you can't be sure she's in the right.

It could have been done better, but it wouldn't have worked with Leia in my mind.

I remember why I don't watch those Tobey Maguire/Kirsten Dunst Spiderman movies very often.

Fantastic 4 and the sequel with the Silver Surfer are alright, though.

The Report
Journalistic investigation movie, about compiling and publishing a report about the CIA's "enhanced interrogation techniques" (torture) in the wake of 9/11. Stars Adam Driver as a Young Idealist and Annette Bening as his sponsor, a "This is DC" role that reminded me of Anne Bancroft in G.I. Jane. Remember G.I. Jane? It's written by Soderbergh's go-to screenwriter Scott Z. Burns, who also directs. Soderbergh would've been the better choice I think. He's into these expansive hyperlink plots with let's-expose-the-corporations themes. Fine acting and good dialogue but there's very little originality to the plot and I think the movie would've benefitted from having a more experimental approach from someone with a more creative, playful energy like Soderbergh. I just didn't find the movie half as shocking or audacious as the movie would like you to, and I don't think I'll remember much about it.

The Strange Thing About the Johnsons
A short film by Ari Aster (Hereditary, Midsommar). It's uh... let's just say there's a whole slew of reaction videos to it.

Hawki:
Terminator: Dark Fate (7/10) Good, if not great.

I thought 5/10 was generous.
Remind me, with Skynet out of the picture, is it even explained how or why this "Legion" takes over? Or is it like Star Wars were no matter what there's always gonna be a new super weapon to blow up?
Anyway, I hated what they did with JC and that ruined the movie for me from the first minute.
And I hated Dani. I didn't buy her badass TF or the future Che Guevara thing. I'm ready for another reboot.

The Witch

Really, really good, but not a movie I'll probably ever watch again due the oppressive atmosphere and sense of persecution. Fucking phenominal acting, too, especially from some of those kids.

Rocketman
Just fabulous. I'd recommend to anyone who isn't mortally allergic to musicals or the gay. Taron Egerton is not only a wonderful performer, physical and emotional, but also did all the vocals in this too. Such talent! I don't even have much fondness for the source music, yet it drew me in and helped me appreciate it far more than anticipated. This is about on par with Ray for musical biopics for me. Brilliant.

Godzilla: King of Pokemon
Alright, what the fuck is going on with the humanoids in this? They don't adhere to any sense of logic and just seem to be doing stuff cause it's what movies do. Now ok, humans aren't the focus of Godzilla, and I understand that. So why are we stuck with these assholes for so bloody long?? Also, from purely a CGI perspective, I found it lacking, especially in the water physics...I really love me some water physics in huge scale events being rendered convincingly, so the mahoosive giants making only tiny little toilet splashes kinda came off as disappointing at the very least. I went in with only expectations for entertaining CGI battles and still came out wanting. Seriously though...no idea what those characters are, but they definitely aren't human.

Casual Shinji:
The Witch

Really, really good, but not a movie I'll probably ever watch again due the oppressive atmosphere and sense of persecution. Fucking phenominal acting, too, especially from some of those kids.

It is a great film, the audio is so important for atmosphere. Depends on if you watch it alone or not too, as atmosphere gets under the skin way more then. There's one called Kill List which is modern day urban hitmen given one last dodgy job and it is just as oppressive with the atmosphere. The synopsis sounds dull and samey but I garuntee it's nothing like it sounds. Recommended, but probably only once like The Witch.

Dolemite Is My Name
The first genuinely good "Netflix Original". Took 'em long enough. Movies about moviemaking are always right up my alley - bonus points for the period setting - and it's nice to see Eddie Murphy at the top of his game after all this time. It's like your typical rise-and-fall biopic but just focusing on the rise, about an artist trying to get his voice out there but also an entrepreneur who connects the dots, sees an opening and corners a niche market. Now I don't know how much of "Dolemite's" importance is exaggerated for the sake of this movie, as every biopic must do, and I don't care either. The original movies are probably trash like most exploitation shlock from that era but it's good enough that they can inspire actual good movies like this (or Tarantino's work for that matter).

Johnny Novgorod:

Remind me, with Skynet out of the picture, is it even explained how or why this "Legion" takes over?

How: It takes over infrastructure/servers, cutting off power, causing planes to crash, etc. Military tries to take it out with nuclear weapons (per the effects of EMPs) but fails. Legion launches nuclear weapons in turn, causing Judgement Day to occur.

Why: It isn't. However, I'm not put off by that for the following reasons:

1) Grace might not know why (we never asked "why" Skynet did what it did in T1 for instance)

2) A theme of the film is that the development of AI is inevitable and Judgement Day can be indefinitely postponed, but the threat of AI can never be eliminated. Ergo, Legion fits in with this theme.

3) Of all the incarnations of Skynet, IIRC, only two incarnations have been given motivation for their actions (arguably three). So while Skynet has always benefitted from those explanations, Legion's being unexplained isn't out of character for the franchise as a whole.

Or is it like Star Wars were no matter what there's always gonna be a new super weapon to blow up?

No. The Death Star has no thematic significance behind it. It's a BDO. Skynet/Legion/Genisys/whatever are key to the motifs of the franchise (AI turning against its creators, human prospensity for self-destruction, etc.)

Anyway, I hated what they did with JC and that ruined the movie for me from the first minute.

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't miffed slightly by John's death. However, I can't be angry for the following reasons:

-There's many incarnations of John across the franchise. Him dying in of itself doesn't put me off too much because I've always got alternatives. Including, even by the films, his Salvation version.

-While the death arguably has shock value, it's a death that informs the film. As in, Sarah is haunted by it, Carl is haunted by it, and there's the added layer of tragedy to it that he "was killed from a future that no longer existed." At the very least, John's legacy hangs over the characters throughout the story, if only indirectly.

I'm ready for another reboot.

God no.

There's no reason to reboot Terminator. Or at least, there's no reason to alter the first two films.

When you look at the franchise, T1 and T2 have formed the bedrock. Almost every piece of Terminator media has branched off from T2, or in rare cases, T1. So if you mean a reboot, as in, stuff spinning off from them, sure. As I said, I don't care if Dark Fate gets a sequel or not, because it's just as valid a sequel to me as T3, SCC, or whatever (even though it's much better than that stuff).

Johnny Novgorod:
snip

Johnny since you seem to be more active in watching movies, I ask are you gonna see the Irishman?

Terminator Dark Fate - 5,5/10

It's not terrible. Like all previous attempts to revive this franchise, I give this movie a 5 or 6. The writing is bad, Carl is bad, Dani is bad, and sexagenarian Sarah Connor was cool for a little while. The guy playing the Rev9 wasn't menacing (which is the important part here), but I liked him when he was being "nice". Mackenzie Davis is the best thing about this movie. She happens to be in a lot of stuff I enjoy so I figured I'd see her in an action role. Maybe her character Grace should have been future Jesus, I'd be happier if she went back in time to save her younger self for whatever reason, instead of Dani. Or to save John Connor because hey, the robopocalypse is still happening, you guys thought you changed things but you didn't. Whatever. Shotgun to the chest before you find your seat in the theater, though... that was a great idea.

Wait until someone uploads the action scenes to youtube.

Samtemdo8:

Johnny Novgorod:
snip

Johnny since you seem to be more active in watching movies, I ask are you gonna see the Irishman?

Yup, screens at a local theater 10 days or so before the Netlix release. I'll be in line hours ahead if I have to.

Johnny Novgorod:

Samtemdo8:

Johnny Novgorod:
snip

Yup, screens at a local theater 10 days or so before the Netlix release. I'll be in line hours ahead if I have to.

I am hoping it plays in my closet theater on not in San Juan which is hours away from where I live.

Johnny Novgorod:
Dolemite Is My Name
The first genuinely good "Netflix Original". Took 'em long enough. Movies about moviemaking are always right up my alley - bonus points for the period setting - and it's nice to see Eddie Murphy at the top of his game after all this time. It's like your typical rise-and-fall biopic but just focusing on the rise, about an artist trying to get his voice out there but also an entrepreneur who connects the dots, sees an opening and corners a niche market. Now I don't know how much of "Dolemite's" importance is exaggerated for the sake of this movie, as every biopic must do, and I don't care either. The original movies are probably trash like most exploitation shlock from that era but it's good enough that they can inspire actual good movies like this (or Tarantino's work for that matter).

Haven't seen the movie. I did watch this:

https://youtu.be/0PvnNmr7ylc

This might give you an idea on exaggeration but this was before this new Dolomite movie

Last couple of movies I watched were House and House 2: the Second Story

These are not good movies

House is nominally a horror movie, but it doesn't know what kind it wants to be. Are we dealing with ghosts? A haunted house? Zombies, demons? Post Vietnam psychosis? Yes and no to all of the above! That said, it's a much more coherent story than:

House 2: The Second Story. Nominally a horror-comedy, the main character digs up his zombie great grandad to protect a crystal skull he found from his former best friend he shot but also became a zombie somehow. It features a trip to prehistoric times, some Aztec shenanigans, an electrician/adventurer and best part of the movie, "classic" '80s "humor", and an appearance by Bill Maher, who I'm convinced is only labeled as a comedian because he shows up in "comedy" movies. There was no visible attempt at comedy in House 2 at least.

It's something you either want to watch while high or never watch while high.

Wintermute:

It's not terrible. Like all previous attempts to revive this franchise, I give this movie a 5 or 6.

Using this as a segway to expand on my review. I've settled my rankings as thus:

6) Rise of the Machines

5) Salvation

4) Dark Fate

3) Genisys

2) The Terminator

1) Judgement Day

Rise is like a 5/10, 5-3 get a 7/10 each, 2 and 1 are probably in the 8/9 range.

The Mortal Instruments: City of Bones

Oh, when people are hoping for a long running movie series and they put a subtitle in and everything and the film is a big failure. Must really upset the main characters who were hoping for a big career boast, or at least steady incomes for a while.

I'd not say this is a really bad movie. It's not by any means really good, but I'd give it a pass. Lots of cliched YA teen waffle and pointlessness, but eh, whatever.

altnameJag:
House 2: The Second Story. Nominally a horror-comedy, the main character digs up his zombie great grandad to protect a crystal skull he found from his former best friend he shot but also became a zombie somehow.

I started watching that not long ago, gave up shortly after the graverobbing bit.

Dark Phoenix

It was fine. I like it better than Apocalypse and X3. I don't know if it's a Phoenix story at all because Jean isnt the Ultimate bad guy in this

Go watch Legion. Kinberg did a better job there

5/10

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

Remind me, with Skynet out of the picture, is it even explained how or why this "Legion" takes over?

How: It takes over infrastructure/servers, cutting off power, causing planes to crash, etc. Military tries to take it out with nuclear weapons (per the effects of EMPs) but fails. Legion launches nuclear weapons in turn, causing Judgement Day to occur.

Why: It isn't. However, I'm not put off by that for the following reasons:

1) Grace might not know why (we never asked "why" Skynet did what it did in T1 for instance)

2) A theme of the film is that the development of AI is inevitable and Judgement Day can be indefinitely postponed, but the threat of AI can never be eliminated. Ergo, Legion fits in with this theme.

3) Of all the incarnations of Skynet, IIRC, only two incarnations have been given motivation for their actions (arguably three). So while Skynet has always benefitted from those explanations, Legion's being unexplained isn't out of character for the franchise as a whole.

Or is it like Star Wars were no matter what there's always gonna be a new super weapon to blow up?

No. The Death Star has no thematic significance behind it. It's a BDO. Skynet/Legion/Genisys/whatever are key to the motifs of the franchise (AI turning against its creators, human prospensity for self-destruction, etc.)

I'd be lying if I said that I wasn't miffed slightly by John's death. However, I can't be angry for the following reasons:

-There's many incarnations of John across the franchise. Him dying in of itself doesn't put me off too much because I've always got alternatives. Including, even by the films, his Salvation version.

-While the death arguably has shock value, it's a death that informs the film. As in, Sarah is haunted by it, Carl is haunted by it, and there's the added layer of tragedy to it that he "was killed from a future that no longer existed." At the very least, John's legacy hangs over the characters throughout the story, if only indirectly.

I'm ready for another reboot.

God no.

There's no reason to reboot Terminator. Or at least, there's no reason to alter the first two films.

When you look at the franchise, T1 and T2 have formed the bedrock. Almost every piece of Terminator media has branched off from T2, or in rare cases, T1. So if you mean a reboot, as in, stuff spinning off from them, sure. As I said, I don't care if Dark Fate gets a sequel or not, because it's just as valid a sequel to me as T3, SCC, or whatever (even though it's much better than that stuff).

There's always room for completely made up, retro-fitted contrivances to explain why the fight goes on a purely technical level. I'm not interested in them. I didn't get one good reason why not!Skynet takes over the world in Dark Fate anymore than why not!Empire is still around in Force Awakens. If I learned anything from Dark Fate is that everything is pointless and nothing matters. If you stop one AI takeover then another AI takes over; if you kill the future leader of the resistance then another one just shows up. So on and so forth. Thirty years from now they can just make a movie where a Terminator shoots CGI Dani in the face. So why do I give a shit?

I'm glad this is bombing.

Hawki:

Wintermute:

It's not terrible. Like all previous attempts to revive this franchise, I give this movie a 5 or 6.

Using this as a segway to expand on my review. I've settled my rankings as thus:

6) Rise of the Machines

5) Salvation

4) Dark Fate

3) Genisys

2) The Terminator

1) Judgement Day

Rise is like a 5/10, 5-3 get a 7/10 each, 2 and 1 are probably in the 8/9 range.

You know, after some more consideration, I think I'd put this movie in third place, which doesn't mean much.

Also, I now wish Sarah Connor and Carl the friendly T-800 weren't in the movie. They went from meh/bad to why are they even here? If you wanna make something new for the new generation or whatever, if you must kill John, then show Sarah dying trying to protect her son or something. That shotgun to the chest is a huge fuck you. Carl saying feels bad man is another.

Forget Sarah and Carl, send Grace and another turbohuman to fight the evil Terminator sent by Skynot to kill John Connot. Maybe one of them gets sent to the wrong date (a clever commentary on the messy timeline of this franchise), only appearing the next day, who knows, so Grace has to get Dani and run from the Rev9 because she can't fight him alone. Maybe they also have some reprogrammed T-800 (if you must have Arnold's face in the movies) they managed to get a hold of in the future. I don't know, I'm not paid to write movies. Get some muscular guy and deepfake Arnold's face over the guy.

-

Anyway... I finally saw Blade Runner. I was 8 the first time I watched it. My aunt had it on VHS and I thought it was boring. Back then I expected something similar to Terminator 2 because it's literally called "THE HUNTER OF ANDROIDS" here. It's been in my watchlist for an eternity, but I never touched it again until yesterday when I caught it on Netflix.

The movie is set in November, 2019. I saw that and chuckled. The world in this movie is incredible, I was impressed with it from start to finish. It's a pretty "simple" movie but really well made, and I loved the ending. After the over the top action in Dark Fate, I appreciate the slow pace here. That's it, really, I suck at writing reviews. It's not the best movie ever, but it's really good.

Better than all Fast and Furious movies combined/10.

Johnny Novgorod:

I didn't get one good reason why not!Skynet takes over the world in Dark Fate anymore than why not!Empire is still around in Force Awakens.

It's stated right in the opening crawl of TFA that the First Order are Empire remnants.

If I learned anything from Dark Fate is that everything is pointless and nothing matters. If you stop one AI takeover then another AI takes over; if you kill the future leader of the resistance then another one just shows up.

I really can't take that away from Dark Fate myself. It shows how much the future has changed. And even if it's inevitable that humanity develops AI, there's nothing to suggest that Judgement Day under Legion can't be averted just as it was with Skynet.

Wintermute:

Also, I now wish Sarah Connor and Carl the friendly T-800 weren't in the movie. They went from meh/bad to why are they even here? If you wanna make something new for the new generation or whatever, if you must kill John, then show Sarah dying trying to protect her son or something. That shotgun to the chest is a huge fuck you. Carl saying feels bad man is another.

Forget Sarah and Carl, send Grace and another turbohuman to fight the evil Terminator sent by Skynot to kill John Connot. Maybe one of them gets sent to the wrong date (a clever commentary on the messy timeline of this franchise), only appearing the next day, who knows, so Grace has to get Dani and run from the Rev9 because she can't fight him alone. Maybe they also have some reprogrammed T-800 (if you must have Arnold's face in the movies) they managed to get a hold of in the future. I don't know, I'm not paid to write movies. Get some muscular guy and deepfake Arnold's face over the guy.

-You could technically have Dark Fate without having any returning characters, but it would be difficult, or, you'd have to gloss over certain things. Like, if we cut out Sarah/John/Carl, then you either have to have a story that doesn't mention T1/T2/Future War at all, or somehow work those things into the plot in a way that has the characters learning about them. And I'm not sure how you could do that without bringing back characters.

-When you say bring a T-800 back from the future, do you mean a literal T-800, or are you using that as a shorthand for Legion's Terminators (or Rev units, whatever). Because if the former, that shouldn't be possible. There's no way a Skynet Terminator should end up in a different future (I mean, it's not impossible, but very improbable). If the latter, I still disagree. We've had the "protector Terminator" plot point done 3 times prior to this with varying degrees of success, so Grace being an augmented human, while arguably trying to have its cake and eat it (personality of Kyle Reese, abilities of Uncle Bob), it's still a change.

That's not to say Carl facing the Rev-9 at the end is a bad move in my mind, because it works on both the plot and thematic level (helped by the visual storytelling), but I wouldn't want another Terminator rock em sock em at the start.

It's not the best movie ever,

Nup, but it is the best sci-fi movie ever IMO.

Y'know, it actually gives me a bit of hope that we've reached the timeframe of Blade Runner, in that while we haven't got space travel or flying cards, the world's at least not as screwed up now as it was in that setting. Whether we avoid the grim future of 2049 though is another matter.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

I didn't get one good reason why not!Skynet takes over the world in Dark Fate anymore than why not!Empire is still around in Force Awakens.

It's stated right in the opening crawl of TFA that the First Order are Empire remnants.

Yeah, I saw that movie, Return of the Jedi. The good guys won. Nothing in it suggests the fight has to go on. And nothing in TFA explains why it does. Their existence is handwaved and left to be rationalized by anybody who wants to. This would be like starting off Lord of the Rings 4 with the bad guys going stronger than ever and the good guys at their weakest. Some geek is going to explain how it's entirely possible because, I dunno, we didn't see this, or didn't know that, etc. But come on. Let's face it.

I really can't take that away from Dark Fate myself. It shows how much the future has changed. And even if it's inevitable that humanity develops AI, there's nothing to suggest that Judgement Day under Legion can't be averted just as it was with Skynet.

The threat of Skynet in T2 was a direct consequence of what happened in T1: the remains of the Terminator are found and that leads to the (paradoxical) creation of the Terminator, Judgment Day, etc. T1 opens a loop, T2 closes it.

"Legion" is something they just made up. It's the way the movie has its cake and eats it. Characters stop one Robot Apocalypse, creating another Robot Apocalypse. So on and so forth. There's always another Evil AI waiting in line and there's always another Chosen One in line. Thirty years from now, Terminator 11 can open with Dani getting her head blown off seconds after Dark Fate's plot ended, just like JC gets unceremoniously offed. Except in the case of Dark Fate, that would be a mercy kill.

Thaluikhain:

altnameJag:
House 2: The Second Story. Nominally a horror-comedy, the main character digs up his zombie great grandad to protect a crystal skull he found from his former best friend he shot but also became a zombie somehow.

I started watching that not long ago, gave up shortly after the graverobbing bit.

On the one hand, I don't blame you and I'm actually kind of jealous, on the other hand, you never got to the insane parts

Scattered Night
South Korean movie. Mom and dad gather the kids after supper to tell them they're getting separated and have to decide who will be living with who. It looks like it's up to the kids but the adults subtly start to mold their own model. It's a coming of age story but directed with zero sentimentality, all matter-of-fact business that seems to be hiding a deep sadness for all. Nobody's happy with what's going on but everybody takes it with the aplomb of something that must be done anyway.

I Was at Home, But
German movie. I call these "Woman Under the Influence" stories: movies that center around a middle-aged, middle-class character that allows an actress to flex her talent for being quirky and neurotic. What's going on with Astrid? Who the fuck knows. Either the answer's too simple (she's recently widowed) or there isn't one. Scenes barely connect to each other and play out unnaturally - 5 minutes of Hamlet rehearsal here, 10 minutes of nouvelle vague dialogue there. There's no story, just impressions of a state of mind.

Never thought I'd see the day when I was defending TFA, but fine, okay:

Johnny Novgorod:

Yeah, I saw that movie, Return of the Jedi. The good guys won. Nothing in it suggests the fight has to go on.

That's true, but it didn't stop the EU from originally doing that.

Look, anyone who says that Return of the Jedi ended in a manner that suggested the fight was over is correct, as far as I'm concerned. It's part of why I was never really interested in post-RotJ material as I didn't see a need for it. That said, if a story ends definitively, it doesn't automatically override any attempts at a sequel.

And nothing in TFA explains why it does. Their existence is handwaved and left to be rationalized by anybody who wants to.

It actually kind of does. Maz states that (I forget the exact line) that the Dark Side has effectively operated through proxies over time. The Sith, the Empire, and now, the First Order. We'll have to wait and see how that'll be resolved in Rise of Skywalker, since it's selling itself as the ending of the Skywalker Saga, but within TFA itself, its premise is that the First Order is simply the latest incarnation of a malignant force that has continuously returned.

Again, you can say that RotJ had no such conceit, and yes, you're right. But TFA does justify the First Order thematically and conceptually, even if it's very bare bones in regards to worldbuilding. Plus, the out of universe reason why the First Order looks like the Empire is that the Empire sells, and TFA is (IMO, to its detriment) very 'back to basics.'

This would be like starting off Lord of the Rings 4 with the bad guys going stronger than ever and the good guys at their weakest.

Well, not quite. The First Order isn't as strong as the Empire, or if it is, there isn't much to suggest it. Yes, they kind of get a 'power boost' for Last Jedi, but even then they still didn't rule the galaxy, even if they were on their way to doing so.

The threat of Skynet in T2 was a direct consequence of what happened in T1: the remains of the Terminator are found and that leads to the (paradoxical) creation of the Terminator, Judgment Day, etc. T1 opens a loop, T2 closes it.

"Legion" is something they just made up. It's the way the movie has its cake and eats it. Characters stop one Robot Apocalypse, creating another Robot Apocalypse. So on and so forth. There's always another Evil AI waiting in line and there's always another Chosen One in line. Thirty years from now, Terminator 11 can open with Dani getting her head blown off seconds after Dark Fate's plot ended, just like JC gets unceremoniously offed. Except in the case of Dark Fate, that would be a mercy kill.

There's arguably a case to be made that Skynet must have existed by itself at some point in time regardless of time travel. But that aside, yes, T1 has the premise of a closed loop, and with T2 breaking the loop.

That said, I still can't be miffed at Legion. I don't have anything against the premise that humanity could develop AI outside Skynet, and it's incorrect to say that Legion exists because of T1/T2. Rather, it exists in spite of it. And even if Dark Fate establishes the idea, however indirectly, that the development of AI is inevitable, and conflict can only be pushed back or inevitably occur, that's still more in keeping with the franchise's "no fate" theme than, say, T3.

Also, as I pointed out in my review, Dark Fate is clearly trying to modernize the franchise, which, among other things, involves engaging with the real-world issue of artificial intelligence. T1/T2 have artificial intelligence that only exists because of time travelling shennanigans, Dark Fate has an AI that exists because we're at a point in time where AI is a very real thing. Whether this is a good or bad thing is down to personal preference, but I don't see Dark Fate invalidating the first two films. Because not only is this one of many continuations from T2 that have popped up, but nothing in Dark Fate invalidates the efforts of the first two films (except John's death in of itself). Skynet was never created, Judgement Day never occurred. The development of Legion and the Judgment Day it initiated doesn't lie on the shoulders of Sarah, John, or Reese.

Also, I wouldn't count on Terminator 11. Dark Fate's bombed at the box office. So if there's ever a T11, let alone a T7, I doubt Dark Fate will even be on any producer's radar.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here