Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

PsychedelicDiamond:

Silentpony:
Just got back from Birds of Prey. Before I give you my thoughts, yes this movie is bombing. We were at the Galaxy's MegaScreen, a fucking huge screen in an auditorium that can seat 300+. Including my party of three, there were 9 people in the 9pm show, Saturday opening weekend. I would say tragic buuuuuuttttt.....

I can't fathom why anyone thought making a follow-up to Suicide Squad, starring the worst aspect of Suicide Squad, was a good idea. Then again, they did dump this in February with minimal marketing.

Oh no it barely is a sequel to Suicide Squad/the DCEU. Everything previously established was retconned.
-Metropolis is no longer the twin city to Gotham
-Gotham is no longer under the Batman's protection
-Harley just breaks out of Waller's prison. Just breaks out one day.
-Neck bombs? No, gone, she had her's removed.
-The rest of the squad is apparently on the loose too, with bombs removed too

And I know its a Harley movie, but bitch is OP. She takes down the Gotham PD. By herself. With a grenade launcher and smoke rounds. Literally walks in to the GPD HQ and just destroys the place, beating dozens of cops at a time(none of which have guns oddly enough) and then just leaves. She pulls a Terminator and it has 0 lasting consequences. Even at the end the cops let her go because she took down the big bad, even though she permanently crippled like 80 cops in 5 mins. And not one super hero showed up.

Xprimentyl:
I think the final scene where we see him in a mental institution leaving a trail of bloody footprints is the scene that hints that Arthur's reality and "ours" are two very different things, but that's all I can do; think it. *shrug* Question being at what point was he institutionalized? Where did reality end and the delusion begin?

And no, I've not seen Requiem for a Dream. Neither have I seen The Comedian and I've only seen Taxi Driver once about 15 years ago and remember very little about. I'm told Joker is basically a point-for-point rehash of them, so maybe that's what allowed my expectations to be as grounded as your chatty companion and enjoy the film as much as I did, but all three movies sound like they merit a watch/re-watch.

And I'll save you the search for the aforementioned TED Talk, buddy!

Ah, thanks for the easy linkage to the video! Appreciated much. Must take a lot of courage to be up there opening up as she does. Had a friend in college who had schizophrenia, people were scared of him due to some outbursts and he had a nickname that cemented their perception further, but he was far easier and nicer to talk to than the substantial number of dickheads floating about at the time, plus was more relatable in a few ways.

Did you mean The King of Comedy instead of The Comedian? Is only cause I hear those comparisons made regularly with the former while none with the latter. Haven't seen either yet too. Though I would be careful recommending Requiem if anyone's in a particularly sensitive state of mind as it can get quite intense in the mood it goes for.

Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey - Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! The Suicide Squad movie should have been this. And I thought SS (2016) was just okay, not a disaster certain critics, Marvel fanboys/girls, and DC fanboys/girls were making that out to be. This is Harley's story, but it's also the Birds of Prey origin story. The actions great (done by the John Wick guys), the movie is colorful, the writing is balls-to-walls funny, and making this in to a Deadpoolesque movie worked. The only thing that sucks about the movie is the reception it's getting from audiences. I heard about the under performance this film is getting and I don't understand it. Critics hated SS, but most audiences liked it or thought it was okay. Yet it's now the reverse. What the actual fuck? Whatever. It ain't ruining my mood. DC live-action materials keeps getting better and better. They had a few slip ups with Batman V. Superman, JL, and SS, but they definitely hit their stride starting with Wonder Woman. Seeing HQ makes me all the more excited for WW84 this summer. Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey gets an A rank from me.

CoCage:
Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey - Beautiful! Absolutely beautiful! The Suicide Squad movie should have been this. And I thought SS (2016) was just okay, not a disaster certain critics, Marvel fanboys/girls, and DC fanboys/girls were making that out to be. This is Harley's story, but it's also the Birds of Prey origin story. The actions great (done by the John Wick guys), the movie is colorful, the writing is balls-to-walls funny, and making this in to a Deadpoolesque movie worked. The only thing that sucks about the movie is the reception it's getting from audiences. I heard about the under performance this film is getting and I don't understand it. Critics hated SS, but most audiences liked it or thought it was okay. Yet it's now the reverse. What the actual fuck? Whatever. It ain't ruining my mood. DC live-action materials keeps getting better and better. They had a few slip ups with Batman V. Superman, JL, and SS, but they definitely hit their stride starting with Wonder Woman. Seeing HQ makes me all the more excited for WW84 this summer. Harley Quinn & The Birds of Prey gets an A rank from me.

You forget, media can only have two states: a godly perfect that gives you the greatest orgasm or a crime against humanity. There is no inbetween.

Anyway, I'm seeing with my partner whenever we can tee up babysitting. Valentine's day is taking the wind out of those sails

CoCage:
And I thought SS (2016) was just okay, not a disaster certain critics,

Ditto.

Marvel fanboys/girls, and DC fanboys/girls were making that out to be.

Wouldn't DC fanboys/girls make it out not to be a trainwreck?

trunkage:

Anyway, I'm seeing with my partner whenever we can tee up babysitting. Valentine's day is taking the wind out of those sails

Least you have someone to be with on V Day. :(

Hawki:

CoCage:
And I thought SS (2016) was just okay, not a disaster certain critics,

Ditto.

Marvel fanboys/girls, and DC fanboys/girls were making that out to be.

Wouldn't DC fanboys/girls make it out not to be a trainwreck?

(

I've met plenty of DC fans that hated Suicide Squad. It has its loud defenders, but they don't represent the entire fandom.

trunkage:

CoCage:

You forget, media can only have two states: a godly perfect that gives you the greatest orgasm or a crime against humanity. There is no inbetween.

Which is a pretty stupid black and white view. It once again proves that not everyone knows what they want, whether they be the audience, the critics, or the filmmakers. You and your girl enjoy the show and have fun.

Speaking of Birds of Prey, Margot Robbie was also in The Legend of Tarzan.

Which was not very good. Way too many cliches, and you're allowed to fire those guns you're pointing at your enemies. Whole thing was decidedly meh, and a white saviour story can only be so progressive even if you're being really clever, which the writers were not.

Birds of Prey (6/10)
Birds of Prey, a.k.a. Birds of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn), a.k.a. Harley Quinn and the Birds of Prey, is proof that no matter what you call a movie, it doesn't change how that a film called Birds of Prey is more like a pidgeon than a raptor. Because while this film starts off very strong, by the end I was left feeling exhausted.

To start with, I'm going to see some of the most common comments/complaints that I've seen about the film. To that end:

-This film does share similarities with Suicide Squad in its style, namely its 'name tag/traits' system. That said, this is really the only similarity there is. Even Harley feels like a different character. It does reference Suicide Squad a few times, but the film is very much stand-alone, and very much eager to distance itself from SS's take on the Joker.

-I've seen it commented that this is basically the Harley Quinn version of Deadpool. There's some similarities, such as how both will address the viewer, but it's different style. Harley does a voice-over narration (to the point where it's sometimes redundant), while Deadpool will address the camera directly. Again, these are superficial similarities.

-On the comment that the other titular birds don't get a chance to shine, I have to disagree, mostly. Harley's very much the main character, but most of the secondary women are reasonably fleshed out. Huntress is the key exception here, who gets the least screentime, and the most minor arc, if it can even be called that. Which is a shame for me personally, but at least Winstead does what she can (or at least the script does - the key trait of Huntress is that she's very socially awkward, among both friends and enemies).

Right, now that that's out of the way, I'm going to give general thoughts. This movie starts off being fun, but over time, its cracks begin to show. For instance, not everything is told chronologically, and there's a point in the film where it takes 20-30 minutes to catch up to where the film is. At the start, there's stuff like "4 minutes ago" appearing on the screen, but this trick gets old. Honestly, I'd have been fine with the film being told chronologically. There's also things that don't quite make sense. For instance, to symbolize breaking up from Mister J, Harley destroys the Axis Chemicals plant (how many people does she kill? I dunno) and everyone concludes that it means she's broken up with the Joker, and ergo, it's open season on her. This is a stretch - I mean, we know it's true, but it's far less credulous to believe that everyone comes to that same conclusion when destroying stuff for shits and giggles is what the Joker (supposedly) does. Or not. Cassandra Cain somehow has never heard of the Joker, and I get what the scene means (that Harley doesn't have to exist in his shadow), but if the Joker is so terrifying that no-one will touch Harley, even when she damages their property, I'd have thought that everyone in Gotham would have heard of Mister J. I dunno, maybe they just wanted to forget Suicide Squad.

Also Gotham looks like any other city apart from near the end. I like to think it's a sign that Bats has brought it back from the brink, but that's being generous. And speaking of Bats, where is he? I saw a pre-release blurb that Bats has disappeared from Gotham, but this is never mentioned in the film itself. If Harley is walking through Gotham in broad daylight and shooting up the GCPD (among other things), what the heck is Bruce doing? I know that the MCU had a similar problem in Phase 2, where the Avengers not turning up to help people like Tony is handwaved away, but the sins of one cineamtic universe don't excuse the sins of this one.

Speaking of sins, there's Black Mask. At the start, I really liked him - fun, flamboyant, has a good time even while condemning people to die in horrible ways. By the end of the film, even when he puts on his titular mask, I was sick of him, as by this time, he's been reduced to a petulant manchild. Again, I get what the film was going for, showing that Sionis is all surface, but I just got tired of it by the end. He doesn't become as obnoxious as the Joker was in Suicide Squad, but he does veer a bit too close for my liking.

Minor point, but the action scenes. Most of them are very good, because they're insane, and roll with it, whether it's Harley storming the GCPD with a grenade launcher that shoots everything apart from actual grenades, to her choosing a baseball bat over a chainsaw, to her being a lethal acrobatic, to everything else. It's at the end that they stop working however, because while the scenario itself is rediculous (a funhouse battle), the tone is serious. Which matches the plot, granted, but it doesn't gel with the fight scenes as they've been presented up to this point. Also, Harley is a shrink. And it works.

One last thing - while there's been far less of an outcry than films such as Ghostbusters 2016 and Last Jedi, there has been the usual accusations of "man hating" or "feminist film." Usually I wouldn't bother going here, but now that I think about it, every male character in the film is either a criminal psychopath, or a snitch, or grossly incompetent, the only exception being a mobster who saves Helena as a child. If not for the culture wars going on, I probably wouldn't have noticed, but I did, and...well, honestly, it doesn't really mean anything. I mean, I can enjoy James Bond where females are there as eye candy and/or rewards, the film doesn't owe me a "strong male character" or whatnot. But I noticed it all the same, so make of that what you will. Even Wonder Woman had Steve, and Captain Marvel had Nick Fury. Also doesn't help that BoP is weaker than both of those films. In fact, it's weaker than most of the DCEU films I've seen.

So. That's Birds of Prey. It's okay, but after DC seemed to get some of its groove with Aquaman and especially Shazam, this is a step back. I'm not sure if this is going to effect much, since the DCEU right now seems to be less about telling a single cohesive story (see Man of Steel to Justice League), and more self-contained stories/mini-series that pay lip service to the larger universe, so at the least, I don't think the low box office returns will hamper the DCEU, even if it might hamper the chances of a Gotham City Sirens movie. I think how much you like this film will depend on your "zanniness tolerance," because the film starts insane from literally the first shot (said shot being of sperm and an egg, and yes, it does work), to the very end (where Harley finally gets her egg and bacon sandwich - yes, it does make sense in context). I can't say I'm sorry I saw it, but as someone who's hoped for the DCEU to succeed from day 1, this hasn't done me any favours.

Night Fare - 5/10

I felt like rewatching Joy Ride, but Netflix had this instead. It starts good, gets gooder and then towards the end the movie ungoods itself. If you like movies about faceless psychos in vehicles chasing people, you'll enjoy it, even if it seems like the taxi driver can teleport anywhere he wants in some scenes, but I'm willing to forgive these things because dumb movie, who cares, but there's a twist that is unforgivably awful. Maybe it'll work for you though. It really gives the impression that the people behind this movie didn't know how to end it properly, so they shyamalaned it.

Neurotic Void Melody:

Xprimentyl:
Snip

Ah, thanks for the easy linkage to the video! Appreciated much. Must take a lot of courage to be up there opening up as she does. Had a friend in college who had schizophrenia, people were scared of him due to some outbursts and he had a nickname that cemented their perception further, but he was far easier and nicer to talk to than the substantial number of dickheads floating about at the time, plus was more relatable in a few ways.

Did you mean The King of Comedy instead of The Comedian? Is only cause I hear those comparisons made regularly with the former while none with the latter. Haven't seen either yet too. Though I would be careful recommending Requiem if anyone's in a particularly sensitive state of mind as it can get quite intense in the mood it goes for.

You are correct; I did indeed mean "King of Comedy."

Ford Versus Ferrari: Recommended

I went into this film with no expectations; to say I was apathetic would be an understatement. Two and a half hours later, I came out genuinely impressed by one of the better movies I've seen in a long time, second only to Joker as my personal favorite film coming out of 2019. I've qualified myself as not being particularly critical when it comes to cinema, so I found it initially difficult to pin down what made it work for me as well as it did. The story was great; acting across the board was excellent, and that's all well and good, but what surprised me most was the pacing; every moment felt purposeful. Even at two and a half hours, it somehow managed to simultaneously command my attention and respect my time.

Underwater

Alien, but under the sea. It was made 3 years ago but it's only getting a release now, so you know it's good.

Flash Gordon.

Ok, the writers and the actors weren't terrible interested, but Queen was having fun with the music and the "make this look weird" department was very enthusiastic.

Sonic the Hedgehog (6/10)

Well, this is a movie that's had more up and downs than Green Hill. Everyone saw the first trailer and declared, myself included, that the film would be a dumpster fire. Then the redesign happened, and people got slightly more optimistic, but not enthused (again, myself among them). Then the film came out, and the Internet went nuts, with critics finding it decent, and most audiences loving it. Having finally seen the film myself, I can tell you with absolute authority, objectivity, and perspicacity, that the film is...okay. It's fine. It's average. It's decent. It's one of the better VG movies out there, but that isn't to say that it's "good."

I'm going to start with what works in the film, and fittingly enough, among them is Sonic himself. Now, there's been a lot of takes on Sonic over the years, and this one does a decent job. Something to keep in mind is that this is very much an origin story, in that as the film goes on, Sonic steadily unlocks abilities (e.g. his spindash) and gets other hallmarks (such as where he receives his signature sneakers). This matches his emotional journey and character arc. A theme of the film (such as it is) is loneliness/isolation, and key to Sonic's character here is his initial loneliness, which feeds into his hyperactivity. This isn't some in-depth character arc, but it is a character arc nonetheless, for a character that at least as far as the games go, has never really had one. Superhero films come to mind here, and while Sonic is called Sonic from the start, the film does show how he becomes a hero by the end of it. So, in looks, abilities, and personality, Sonic is handled well here. But what's handled even better is Jim Carrey as Robotnik. I mean, wow, I really wasn't expecting this. Yeah, everyone was harping on Sonic's original design, but when Jim Carrey steps off a lorry wearing a black suit, I died a little inside. Well, turns out I was wrong, because Carrey steals the movie, arguably even more than Sonic. He can be threatening, he can be funny, he can be both at the same time, and yet it all works. You could argue that Carrey is just being Carrey, but whatever the case, he throws himself into the role, and I love him for it. Similar to Sonic, Robotnik does have 'stages,' as he slowly resembles his game counterpart more (e.g. his red suit, his flying machine, his moustache, etc.), but these are more minor. Whatever the case, I love this take on the character. Robotnik's been everything from a bumbling idiot (e.g. AoSTH) to a sadistic tyrant (e.g. SatAM), and everything in-between, so I'm fine with Carrey's take standing alongside them.

Also, the loneliess theme. Robotnik feeds into this as well, and again, while not deep, is noticable. Sonic is lonely and emotionally stunted/isolated, but is able to make friends and open up as a result, which leads to his emotional climax. Robotnik is also isolated and emotionally stunted, but unlike Sonic, conciously pushes people away (Stone) who might otherwise be his friend. Again, not deep, but I appreciate the subtext in a film which could have forsaken it entirely.

So, so far, so good, right? So why isn't this film rated higher? Well, as you might have guessed, the problems I have in the film aren't with its titular character or his main antagonist. The problems I have are with everything else. Because for starters, it's a road trip movie, and follows every plot beat you expect. Gee, two people who don't like each other getting from Point A to Point B. Will they become friends and discover things about themselves by the end of it? Will they get into wacky escapades? If you answered "no" to any of these questions, you need to retake your English lit. classes. To clarify, Tom isn't a bad character. Maddie isn't a bad character. The other human characters aren't bad, even if some of them are stereotypes. But this is still a film called Sonic, so I'm far more interested in STH characters than human ones. To clarify, I get why Chris exists in Sonic X, and why Tom exists in this movie, but even so, I'm not that interested in them. And while the film has plenty of Easter eggs that reference the Sonic mythos (e..g the town is called Green Hills, and there's a road sign that points to Hill Top), I'd much rather see those actual locations than just have easter eggs reminding us of them. Because we see South Island at the opening of the movie, looking like it does in the games. We see "the Mushroom Planet," which is either a reference to Mushroom Hill Zone, or a shot at Mario. But we barely spend any time at these locations, and instead spend almost all of our time on Earth. And again, I'm left to ask why?

There's also minor 'glitches' in the script at times. I mean, the writing is decent - family friendly, got quite a few chuckles - but the 'glitches' exist. For instance, when Sonic and Robotnik meet face to face, Sonic calls him Eggman. No-one draws attention to this, not even Robotnik himself, and there's no explanation as to why Sonic uses that insult. The only thing remotely egg-shaped from Robotnik is his drones, but that aside...yeah, I don't get it. Just go with Robuttnik if you need an insult, the old cartoons did.

So, yeah. Decent. The movie has two post-credit scenes that both tease a sequel, and given the box office haul, I could see it being made. I'd be onboard for it, especially if we spent more times in the locations the film teases rather than Montana and California, but as it stands, the movie is fine. It's a road trip movie with Sonic characters transported into it, and that works in of itself, but it still leaves it as being average. One of the better VG movies, but not outright "good." And if you're wondering how it compares to the OVA, short version is that the OVA is the better "Sonic movie," while this is the better "movie movie." Make of that what you will.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here