Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Saw Castle in the Sky. I forgot how awesome this movie is. I liked the movie back when I saw it in middle school, but love it even more now! It's similar to an Indiana Jones adventure film, or serial shows. Yet with its own flair, and unique style. The animation, background art, and character design have a all aged like fine wine. The usual of a Miyazaki film. Looks even more beautiful on Blu Ray on the big screen. The score (2003 version) is amazing. From what I heard, even the original composer for the movie hates his own score from the 1986 version. I'll take his word for it. I have to say, Castle in the Sky and Princess Mononoke are my top favorites of Miyazaki films. Y'all have to see this if you have not yet. I don't care how you see it. Use Disney+ if you have to.

A quick ramble. Castle in the Sky feels like a proto-Uncharted in some ways. The male protagonist, Pazu, has some serious parkour he demonstrates through out the film. Especially when he is climbing. The lost civilization that destroyed itself, and the evil military that wants something from the ancient society. Then again, similar to Indiana Jones in some ways, so the influecne always spreads around.

Thick as Thieves

A cheap Pulp Fiction knockoff like so many others from the mid-to-late 90s, all but forgotten from history. I did a search for "thick as thieves + pulp fiction" and only came up with a single hit. And if nothing else I feel a duty to add to such a search result, when in another 20 years some unlucky git watches Thick as Thieves and goes "Huh, this looks like one of those fabled Pulp Fiction cash-ins from the 90s". Everybody brings Guy Ritchie and Steven Soderbergh, whom I would argue managed to jump off their cash-ins. But the Pulp Fiction quickie is essentially something that has been forgotten by history, and such is the case here.

Alec Baldwin plays a thief for the Chicago mob who is set up by the Detroit mob. Cue the cycle of vengeance as the mobs start hitting each othe with deadpan comedy and sudden violence, all framed by quirky characters having casual conversations. Michael Jai White plays a knockoff Marsellus Wallace, complete with pretensions of class and a trophy cokehead wife; his lead enforcer in turn is a knockoff Jules Winnfield (played by Andre Braugher), who likes to monologue to people before killing them. I guess, because of the situations he gets himself into, Baldwin is meant to pull double duty as Vincent Vega/Butch Coolidge, but he's kind of a cipher. He's completely flat and doesn't seem to be in the same movie with the rest of the actors.

Lastly, Rebecca De Mornay is around as a cop. She does absolutely nothing and not once affects the plot at all. For some reason, if you somehow stick around for the credits, you can hear her having dinner and talking about... salad? Go figure.

CoCage:
I don't care how you see it. Use Disney+ if you have to.

It's on Netflix.

Johnny Novgorod:
Thick as Thieves

A cheap Pulp Fiction knockoff like so many others from the mid-to-late 90s, all but forgotten from history. I did a search for "thick as thieves + pulp fiction" and only came up with a single hit. And if nothing else I feel a duty to add to such a search result, when in another 20 years some unlucky git watches Thick as Thieves and goes "Huh, this looks like one of those fabled Pulp Fiction cash-ins from the 90s". Everybody brings Guy Ritchie and Steven Soderbergh, whom I would argue managed to jump off their cash-ins. But the Pulp Fiction quickie is essentially something that has been forgotten by history, and such is the case here.

Alec Baldwin plays a thief for the Chicago mob who is set up by the Detroit mob. Cue the cycle of vengeance as the mobs start hitting each othe with deadpan comedy and sudden violence, all framed by quirky characters having casual conversations. Michael Jai White plays a knockoff Marsellus Wallace, complete with pretensions of class and a trophy cokehead wife; his lead enforcer in turn is a knockoff Jules Winnfield (played by Andre Braugher), who likes to monologue to people before killing them. I guess, because of the situations he gets himself into, Baldwin is meant to pull double duty as Vincent Vega/Butch Coolidge, but he's kind of a cipher. He's completely flat and doesn't seem to be in the same movie with the rest of the actors.

Lastly, Rebecca De Mornay is around as a cop. She does absolutely nothing and not once affects the plot at all. For some reason, if you somehow stick around for the credits, you can hear her having dinner and talking about... salad? Go figure.

CoCage:
I don't care how you see it. Use Disney+ if you have to.

It's on Netflix.

Even better. Though I always prefer physical.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Reply to Thread

Posting on this forum is disabled.