Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 15 NEXT

Samtemdo8:
I just watched Superman III.....

What the fuck did I just watch? What a complete and utter pile of a movie.

And people said Man of Steel and Superman Returns was bad?!

I kinda like that movie. I mean there are flaws. Biggest problem is I love Richard Pryor as a comedian, but he is really bad in it.

But I enjoy it for what it was. Also evil Superman is awesome and I like the fight between him and Clark Kent

A Wrinkle in Time -

Okay, going in, I knew nothing about this film since I have never read the book, I saw the trailer briefly and didn't remember it much. So I went into this cold. That being said, I thought it was terrible.

Yes, its visually impressive, Storm Reid has a great performance and its pretty ambitious in scope. Also the scenes with her and Chris Pine are great. Too bad the rest is such a boring and terrible flick with a cliched, unfocused script, bland characters, pretty bad acting and just a waste of potential. I can get over cliches if you can give me good characters, but wow, this was hollow and probably one of the most predictable, cliched fantasy films I've seen in a while.

3/10

Natemans:

Samtemdo8:
I just watched Superman III.....

What the fuck did I just watch? What a complete and utter pile of a movie.

And people said Man of Steel and Superman Returns was bad?!

I kinda like that movie. I mean there are flaws. Biggest problem is I love Richard Pryor as a comedian, but he is really bad in it.

But I enjoy it for what it was. Also evil Superman is awesome and I like the fight between him and Clark Kent

I could forgive the evil Superman fight even more, if it was actually Bizzaro Superman. Heck it could have been an interesting set up if it really was Bizzaro Superman.

But anyway, I am gonna post a proper review of the first Superman movie soon and I like your response to it.

Superman: The First Movie. The ever loved classic by everybody, I have seen this movie many times but recently my brother bought a Classic Superman movie collection and it has the extended cut of the first movie, and my post is gonna be a unique because well I have VERY mixed feelings of this movie and I will present like this, I am gonna praise and scorne every individual sequence of this movie:

The opening sequence on Krypton with Jor-El to Krypton blowing up: Awesome, Marlon Brando in all his glory shines here, Terrence Stamp was fine aswell. And out of every portrayal of Krypton, and that is including Comic Books and Animation, this is the best portrayal of Krypton I have seen.

Clark Kent growing up on Earth as a farmboy to setting off to Antartica: Good, very heartwarming place is Smallville, is practically a bordenline Farm Village, it gives the same vibes you get with the Shire in Middle Earth.

Clark Kent finding the Fortress of Solitude, meeting his real father and training to be Superman, awesome, just awesome.

Superman establishing himself in Metropolis and goes on his heroic endevours: Ok, some parts of it can be goofy like when he stopped those bank robbers escaping via boat and the robbers were counting money just felt so Silver Age, but overall it was classic Superman, and the scene with him reaching out to Jor-El wishing he was alive as the father he never had got a feeling from me.

The rest of the Movie before the climax...mediocre, I am sorry but this part of the movie just shows how utterly stupid and dated the Silver Age of Superheroes was, case in point Lex Luthor, I am sorry but he sucks, he's too nice, his personality just doesn't have a hateful bone in him and don't get me started on his henchmen, I feel like they came out of a James Bond movie, a Roger Moore James Bond movie to be accurate. If this movie made Lex the cold caculating egomaniac we see in the Animated Series, it would have made the movie better. And than there was the Lois romance scene, it just felt so unbelieveably cheesy, and I am not a fan of this movie's Lois at all.

The Climax when Lois died and Superman spinning the planet to reverse time. Completely mixed on this. Superman seeing Lois dead and his breakdown felt real like this guy was so boyscout than he actually suffered pain in the heart, it felt real. But than there was the infamous scene of him basically turning back time by rotatting the planet. We all know this has been debated and despite some ideas my brother tells me, I still think it was dumb and I mean this is Silver Age Superman where he can sneeze and whole solar systems get obliterated. But of course the iconic ending shot of him flying on Earth's Orbit is iconic for a reason.

So the TL;DR version is, the first half was the peak, the second half dropped down in quality pretty badly.

7/10.

Samtemdo8:
Superman: The First Movie. The ever loved classic by everybody, I have seen this movie many times but recently my brother bought a Classic Superman movie collection and it has the extended cut of the first movie, and my post is gonna be a unique because well I have VERY mixed feelings of this movie and I will present like this, I am gonna praise and scorne every individual sequence of this movie:

The opening sequence on Krypton with Jor-El to Krypton blowing up: Awesome, Marlon Brando in all his glory shines here, Terrence Stamp was fine aswell. And out of every portrayal of Krypton, and that is including Comic Books and Animation, this is the best portrayal of Krypton I have seen.

Clark Kent growing up on Earth as a farmboy to setting off to Antartica: Good, very heartwarming place is Smallville, is practically a bordenline Farm Village, it gives the same vibes you get with the Shire in Middle Earth.

Clark Kent finding the Fortress of Solitude, meeting his real father and training to be Superman, awesome, just awesome.

Superman establishing himself in Metropolis and goes on his heroic endevours: Ok, some parts of it can be goofy like when he stopped those bank robbers escaping via boat and the robbers were counting money just felt so Silver Age, but overall it was classic Superman, and the scene with him reaching out to Jor-El wishing he was alive as the father he never had got a feeling from me.

The rest of the Movie before the climax...mediocre, I am sorry but this part of the movie just shows how utterly stupid and dated the Silver Age of Superheroes was, case in point Lex Luthor, I am sorry but he sucks, he's too nice, his personality just doesn't have a hateful bone in him and don't get me started on his henchmen, I feel like they came out of a James Bond movie, a Roger Moore James Bond movie to be accurate. If this movie made Lex the cold caculating egomaniac we see in the Animated Series, it would have made the movie better. And than there was the Lois romance scene, it just felt so unbelieveably cheesy, and I am not a fan of this movie's Lois at all.

The Climax when Lois died and Superman spinning the planet to reverse time. Completely mixed on this. Superman seeing Lois dead and his breakdown felt real like this guy was so boyscout than he actually suffered pain in the heart, it felt real. But than there was the infamous scene of him basically turning back time by rotatting the planet. We all know this has been debated and despite some ideas my brother tells me, I still think it was dumb and I mean this is Silver Age Superman where he can sneeze and whole solar systems get obliterated. But of course the iconic ending shot of him flying on Earth's Orbit is iconic for a reason.

So the TL;DR version is, the first half was the peak, the second half dropped down in quality pretty badly.

7/10.

Yeah, I'm still not the biggest fan of the turn the world back in time thing too. Its a rather anticlimatic way to end. The romance with Lois was alright except for when they flew. Look I like when they were flying, but the bit where we start hearing her thoughts out of nowhere for no reason at all is the only time I kinda cringed.

I mean I love this movie a lot and I enjoy its goofy stuff since I like the Silver Age, but even Lois's internal thoughts really ruin the flying bit for me.

The Sniffer
Bahahahaha! This is some hilarious shit! But it needs more humour, it needs way more stupidity; for a single joke can only be drawn out so long... usually once, maybe twice if it wears a funky hat. Is this really taking itself seriously though? I cannot tell. Sooo, it's about a guy - nay - a detective with the powers of psychic smell loitering around his job, basically being Sherlock Holmes, but only when he removes his cyborg-esque nose-blockers, or doesn't have a cold...soon hijinks ensue that only the sensitive sniff pads of our solemn sapient can solve. You would not believe how many problems can be fixed with this power! It appears to be playing everything straight and sober, but is it really? Is. it. really??

Oh, this shit's supposed to be a series? Damn...

Hawki:
As someone who actually likes the Hunger Games films more than the books, I demand an explanation.

Maybe. Am going to see last 2 films before any such endeavors, as the thoughts were based mainly on the first film, and they can easily be issues that change, if the 2nd is anything to go by.

Pacific Rim Uprising 6/10
About as fun as giant mechas beating the shit out of monsters with fiery swords can be without any interesting human element. Funny how John Boyega has a penchant for teaming up with self-taught junkyark wunderkinds just moments before joining a resistance movement. Also funny that Boyega and Eastwood stand in for "grizzled veterans" even though they're barely older than the "kids" they're training. Adults are slowly being erased from four-quadrant movies. Will investigate further.

Johnny Novgorod:
About as fun as giant mechas beating the shit out of monsters with fiery swords can be without any interesting human element. Funny how John Boyega has a penchant for teaming up with self-taught junkyark wunderkinds just moments before joining a resistance movement. Also funny that Boyega and Eastwood stand in for "grizzled veterans" even though they're barelys older than the "kids" they're training. Adults are slowly being erased from four-quadrant movies. Will investigate further.

Give it a few years and these actors will become true adults anyway.

But as to the movie, is the action better than the last movie, there was a sore lack of variety in it, and the monsters were not varied enough.

And are the characters tolerable because I could not STAND almost any of the characters of the first movie except Idris Elba.

Samtemdo8:

Johnny Novgorod:
About as fun as giant mechas beating the shit out of monsters with fiery swords can be without any interesting human element. Funny how John Boyega has a penchant for teaming up with self-taught junkyark wunderkinds just moments before joining a resistance movement. Also funny that Boyega and Eastwood stand in for "grizzled veterans" even though they're barelys older than the "kids" they're training. Adults are slowly being erased from four-quadrant movies. Will investigate further.

Give it a few years and these actors will become true adults anyway.

But as to the movie, is the action better than the last movie, there was a sore lack of variety in it, and the monsters were not varied enough.

And are the characters tolerable because I could not STAND almost any of the characters of the first movie except Idris Elba.

A lot of the movie seems to answer some recurring criticisms from the original Pacific Rim. There're more action scenes, all of the fighting is shown by daylight, the biggest fight is saved for last and the secondary mechas get their leg in rather than being offed first chance. I don't think there's much kaiju variety though, everything looked more or less as it did in the first movie. And I didn't like any of the new characters or the way they treated the few returning ones for that matter.

Good Time:

Really great. Solid direction, gorgeous cinematography, good soundtrack, well-written script and fantastic performances. Especially Robert Pattinson which is surprising because I haven't liked him in other films he's been in.

Johnny Novgorod:
About as fun as giant mechas beating the shit out of monsters with fiery swords can be without any interesting human element. Funny how John Boyega has a penchant for teaming up with self-taught junkyark wunderkinds just moments before joining a resistance movement. Also funny that Boyega and Eastwood stand in for "grizzled veterans" even though they're barely older than the "kids" they're training. Adults are slowly being erased from four-quadrant movies. Will investigate further.

Are the effects and direction good? I'm kinda worried about that by the looks of the trailers. I'm mainly asking this as a fan of the original film.

Natemans:

Johnny Novgorod:

Are the effects and direction good? I'm kinda worried about that by the looks of the trailers. I'm mainly asking this as a fan of the original film.

The effects are fine I guess. Saw it in 3D and nothing really stood out as improved or worse.
I missed Del Toro as director, the movie doesn't feel as focused or particularly personal as the first one. The objective is clearly to launch a kind of cinematographical universe, the director has literally said those very words in an interview and the end of the movie baits you about what they're going to do differently in the next one. Kind of a stay tuned for more!

Johnny Novgorod:
The objective is clearly to launch a kind of cinematographical universe, the director has literally said those very words in an interview

Jesus Christ, we've already got a "Monsterverse" in the works with Godzilla and King Kong, do we really need a "Kaijuverse" (Rimverse?) to go with it?

Or heck, merge them together, because while I'm not a kaiju fan, I'm guessing that a lot of people might like to see a Jaeger fight Godzilla or something.

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:
The objective is clearly to launch a kind of cinematographical universe, the director has literally said those very words in an interview

Jesus Christ, we've already got a "Monsterverse" in the works with Godzilla and King Kong, do we really need a "Kaijuverse" (Rimverse?) to go with it?

Or heck, merge them together, because while I'm not a kaiju fan, I'm guessing that a lot of people might like to see a Jaeger fight Godzilla or something.

Also don't forget the pretend "Universal Classic Monsters" universe that supposedly began with The Mummy.
Movies are starting to feel like TV pilots.

Johnny Novgorod:

Hawki:

Johnny Novgorod:

Also don't forget the pretend "Universal Classic Monsters" universe that supposedly began with The Mummy.
Movies are starting to feel like TV pilots.

Technically it began with Dracula Untold.

But regardless that movie universe is dead in the water.

Ghost Stories 2/4

A UK horror drama about a paranormal-hoax exposer. He's given a trio of cases and told they provide undeniable proof of the supernatural, and the movie mostly is looking at him investigating these three ghost stories.

The movie felt enjoyable in the cinema, but within seconds of getting out of my seat I started to notice what was wrong with it, and by the time I got home I realised how bullshit the whole thing is. In the movie's favour, it has some nice visuals, a decent atmosphere and the acting is really good, especially that done by Alex Lawther. It's also nice to see ghost stories take place in locations other than creaky old mansions; one of the locations is a caravan park falling off of a cliff into the sea, which just so happens to be only a few miles away from my childhood town. The movie is also quite comical because it has Martin Freeman and Paul Whitehouse in it. These two big name actors kind of undermine the scary aspect a little though, just by virtue of being such familiar comedy actors.

The flaws of the movie are in the metaplot however. The movie ends up following a pattern of the worst Black Mirror episodes, where there are small clues provided throughout to let you know something is amiss on a wider scale, with the thing culminating in a giant writing cop out that the viewer could in no way predict. Think White Bear and you're basically on the money. (an episode where the whole thing turns out to be an impossibly elaborate, completely stupid facade that wasted 45 minutes of our time and forced us to sit through watching some hapless chump suffer for the sheer cruelty of it).

A lesser problem - one I have with ghost stories in general - is that it has the ghosts dick around, doing pointless ghost things (unplugging the electrics, smashing things, moving objects around etc). I like ghosts in stories to be doing something weird for some specific purpose, rather than just the old "let's be spooky to scare some bland white family". Ghosts in movies behave like chavs.

Samtemdo8:

Technically it began with Dracula Untold.

But regardless that movie universe is dead in the water.

It was meant to begin with that, but it's no longer counted among the Dark Universe. Dracula Untold is to the Dark Universe what Green Lantern is to the DCEU - an aborted attempt.

Personally don't get why - haven't seen either, but if anything, their second attempt seems to be even worse.

Ready Player One 8/10
An MMORPG scavenger hunt that flips back and forth between the real world and the virtual world ala Inception. I don't think there's much depth to the story and, like Inception, for a movie boasting about how imagination's the limit a lot of it is rather generic, but Spielberg makes it fun and exhilarating and finds an emotional chord to strike in nostalgia. The Shining sequence alone makes the movie worthwhile. If you're into counting pop culture references you're going to have a field day.

Johnny Novgorod:
Ready Player One 8/10
An MMORPG scavenger hunt that flips back and forth between the real world and the virtual world ala Inception. I don't think there's much depth to the story and, like Inception, for a movie boasting about how imagination's the limit a lot of it is rather generic, but Spielberg makes it fun and exhilarating and finds an emotional chord to strike in nostalgia. The Shining sequence alone makes the movie worthwhile. If you're into counting pop culture references you're going to have a field day.

Did they redo the Iron Giant's death in the movie?

Out of all the references the movie has the commericials was promoting more the Iron Giant than anyone else.

Johnny Novgorod:
Ready Player One 8/10

I heard there are some Eldar and a Dreadnought in the final battle. Confirm?

Samtemdo8:

Johnny Novgorod:
Ready Player One 8/10

Did they redo the Iron Giant's death in the movie?

Out of all the references the the movie was promoting more the Iron Giant than anyone else.

Sure, I'll spoil it for you if you want.

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:
Ready Player One 8/10

Than where you heard that from must be bullshit because there is no way they would refernce an Eldar before a Space Marine :P

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:
Ready Player One 8/10

Than where you heard that from must be bullshit because there is no way they would reference an Eldar before a Space Marine :P

http://readyplayerone.wikia.com/wiki/Ready_Player_One_(film)#Contemporary

It says Eldar from Warhammer, and the comments keep referencing a Dreadnought in the background too

Silentpony:

Johnny Novgorod:
Ready Player One 8/10

Maybe? Just looked those up, never played Warhammer. They look fairly generic, could've easily snuck in cameos. Even if I knew what I was looking for the final battle is a clusterfuck of blink-and-you'll-miss-it.

Looks at page...

Jesus Christ, the wiki is going to create an article for every single reference out there?

Finally saw Thor Ragnarok yesterday. Great visuals (the aesthetic of the whole film clicked into retrospective place once Taika mentioned the Kirby influences, which is awesome to see after Doctor Strange did something similar with classic Ditko), a lot of fun, and enough of the humour worked for me.

Fairly light on dramatic moments, and I wasn't keen on Banner's portrayal, but this is the kind of film films should be if they're in the genre marked 'turn your brain off and enjoy the sights/sounds', as it had enough heart and idiosyncrasies to make it more than just inert eyecandy. Marvel Studios should really be trying to do more than just tweak formula in terms of plot arcs and events, but one major genre subversion worked quite well, so that was welcome.

Could've done with more Hela, Korg, and Valkyrie. I liked some of the developments on Asgardian lore, though I wish they'd lingered a little more on them. I do love that a major Marvel film more or less ended on some Kiwi vernacular.

I give it: 15 Korg "Piss off, ghost!"'s out of A-Number-Lost-In-Spacetime.

Three Billboards outside Ebbing, Missouri 9/10. An excellent movie full of dark humour, so dark in fact I was afraid to laugh in the theatre. Superb acting (apart from some one-note side characters), editing and pacing. McDormand's character is as intriguing as can be, going from unlikable but justified to likable but unjustified and everything in between.

Annihilation. Dull, ugly and dumb. This is a horror film disguised as "sci-fi". It's all style and no substance - and it's not even a good style.

Quick question guys, would it be worth creating a similar thread for TV/cartoons/anime/"other?" Normally I'd just create it myself, but I'm more interested in discussing seasons as a whole rather than individual episodes. If it's on a "by episode" basis, it isn't my jam so much (or someone else can create it anyway).

I watched the Last Jedi just now.....And whatever opinions I spout will cause controversy none the less so I will sum it up:

This is a bad movie, all the bad things ever said about this movie was true, 3/10.

What have these people done to this franchise.

I am just gonna stick to the older Expanded Universe thank you:

Hawki:
Quick question guys, would it be worth creating a similar thread for TV/cartoons/anime/"other?" Normally I'd just create it myself, but I'm more interested in discussing seasons as a whole rather than individual episodes. If it's on a "by episode" basis, it isn't my jam so much (or someone else can create it anyway).

I've been wanting to make a TV show thread. I'm just afraid it would die off quickly. Plus, I don't watch that many shows.

Hawki:

If you don't mind me coming in to slag off Discovery, go ahead!

Ninjamedic:

Hawki:

If you don't mind me coming in to slag off Discovery, go ahead!

But I like Discovery you monster! :P

But, okay, fine:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1048469-Discuss-and-Rate-the-Last-Thing-You-Watched-non-movies

Let's see how this goes.

Samtemdo8:
I watched the Last Jedi just now.....And whatever opinions I spout will cause controversy none the less so I will sum it up:

This is a bad movie, all the bad things ever said about this movie was true, 3/10.

What have these people done to this franchise.

I am just gonna stick to the older Expanded Universe thank you:

Dude, its Star Wars. Any time somebody says something that is good or bad is gonna spread anger, fan wars or some bs.

Veronica 1/4

It's a ghost story about a Spanish catholic schoolgirl who attends a seance during an eclipse, and starts getting haunted afterwards.

It's not very good. There is nothing blatantly wrong with any part of it, but it is a very boring and by the numbers horror which does all the usual ghost tropes for no good reason. The ghost moves things around the house for no reason. The ghost rolls a drinks glass around the house for no reason. It removes crucifixes and paintings off of the wall for no reason. The ghost eventually appears and looks like a slender man ripoff, again, for no reason (and it looks pretty shit too). The movie also does that thing of questioning whether the protagonist is really seeing ghosts or is just another hysterical female. There is a twist with her by the end, but I wasn't invested enough to be impressed by it. Absolutely nothing is original.

There is exactly one good thing about this movie, and that's this support character, an elderly blind nun who can "see" ghosts, and likes to sneak into the school basement for a smoke. That combination of elements makes her way more interesting than anything else going on, and she should have been the main character in a better movie.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here