Discuss and rate the last movie you watched

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 16 NEXT

Tomb Raider (7/10)

Slow clap...

Well done you guys. You did it. You made the first truly "good" theatrical VG-based movie...if only just.

There's a lot I like about this movie. Vikander's great in the role (mostly), I love the father-daughter dynamic, the action scenes have a feeling of 'weight' to them, and as far as the plot goes, while I was mixed, I really love the twist that:

That said, it isn't perfect. For one thing, Lara sort of has a character arc, but it feels underdeveloped. We can tell that she's traumatized by killing someone for the first time, but it's glossed over, and less than 30 minutes later, she's killing the mercs without hesitation. The villain is pretty bland as well, even if there was potential for him (more on that later). Lu Ren is underdeveloped as well. Lara, Lu Ren, and "bad guy" all have the motif of the relationship between a father and their child(ren), but it doesn't really mean anything. It's not a theme in of itself, it's barely a plot point. Lu Ren's father saved the people on the island (no idea how, it never explains that, they're still enslaved after all), and it's dropped. The villain wants to get home to his daughters after seven years of being on the island, under the premise that he can't return until he finds Himiko's tomb (maybe Trinity should reassign him? Fresh eyes and all that?). He claims that he kills Lara's father (revealed to be false), but it's never explained why he lied, or if he didn't lie, why he believed that to be true. And while it does a great job in the London scenes, early on it feels like a montage of showing how "kewl" Lara is. She's capable from the outset, and becomes more capable. It's a character arc, but a muted one.

Still, despite all these issues, I had a good time with this film. It's miles above the first Angelina Jolie film, and at the end of the day, it's a good, fun ride, similar to Prince of Persia (which is now my #2 VG-based film). It's "good," if not "great," and while it does tease sequels, it does so in a far less obstrusive way than, say, Warcraft or Assassin's Creed. Even if we don't get a sequel, it feels like the complete experience, since the last shot has Lara with her twin handguns for the first time.

So, good job.

(Also, the pawnbroker scenes are gold.)

The Death of Stalin (6/10)

Mixed feelings about this one. This film is a black comedy through and through, and whether you like it or not will depend on how black you like your comedy to be. Because on one hand, this film is quite funny. On the other hand, a lot of its humor comes from making light of, among other things, torture and execution. Things that take place on screen or just off-screen. Also, I feel that how much you enjoy this film will depend on how well you know Soviet history. Some of the names I recognize, but I will admit to being a bit out of my depth in some areas.

So, decent, but while I found myself laughing a lot, I also found myself uncomfortable at times. Both in content, and that the film was making light of innocent Russians being executed/tortured during Stalin's reign and after it.

Star Wars: The Last Jedi (9/10)

I get the feeling I'm gonna get my ass chewed out for this. So I decided to watch this again to see if my opinion has changed. Honestly I still liked it. My only flaws are that Canto Bight is bizarre tonally even if I liked the costumes and music, the 2nd act really dragged for too long, the CGI on the Fathiers was bad and Phasma was wasted again.

Also I don't hate Rose. I think she's alright, but that love quote she gave to Finn was so cringeworthy.

That aside, I thought it was gorgeous cinematography, the acting was solid, I liked some of the characters and genuinely interested in where IX goes.

There, there's my honest thoughts.

Natemans:

I get the feeling I'm gonna get my ass chewed out for this.

Sam gave it 3/10. I gave it 6/10. You gave it 9/10.

So, no, I don't think you're going to be chewed out, though it does demonstrate that 3 really is the magic number, and that this movie really is the most divisive Star Wars movie ever.

Also, I do agree with everything you said, but in my case I think it dragged down the movie for me more (hence the 6/10 rating).

Hawki:

Natemans:

I get the feeling I'm gonna get my ass chewed out for this.

Sam gave it 3/10. I gave it 6/10. You gave it 9/10.

So, no, I don't think you're going to be chewed out, though it does demonstrate that 3 really is the magic number, and that this movie really is the most divisive Star Wars movie ever.

Also, I do agree with everything you said, but in my case I think it dragged down the movie for me more (hence the 6/10 rating).

My beef with this new batch of Star Wars movies coming out so far is that I grew up watching the prequels and I grew up watching The People vs. George Lucas documentary. And I have been told repeat and repeat that "The Star Wars Prequel movies were the most dissapointing thing since my son" and that George Lucas has been revealed to be the hack moviemaker that he is. That some people wish they can get this franchise out of Lucas' hands and let true Star Wars fans make the movie that Star Wars fans derserve.

Then Disney Bought Star Wars, than they gave it to JJ Abrams and then I watched the Force Awakens and I thought it was mediocre.

Then the later movies came and they are all mediocre to divisive on the level of Man of Steel.

And I am just like "Oh look, they made a Star Wars movie without George Lucas and it still sucked, be careful what you wish for you fanboys"

Honestly I just think they should give Genndy Tartakovsky a shot at Star Wars again with his own trilogy of movies.

Lumiere! A must for fans of film.

Batman: Gotham by Gaslight A solid 2/10. Juvenile plot, the action is all the same and means nothing (Batman even prevails through a total fluke!), the men are animated like boxes with top hats on, but I'm giving one point for Selina Kyle, who looks graceful and expressive.

McElroy:
Lumiere! A must for fans of film.

Caught that in November at a film festival, seconding this endorsement.

Iron Man 3 - 6/10

Well, since Infinity War is coming up, might as well do some rewatching. This one has been incredibly hit or miss every time I thought back on it. Upon rewatch, its alright I guess.

Nice direction, the action is fun, good performances and some nice funny parts. Things that don't work is that some of the comedy takes the dramatic weight at times, the villain is fucking lame (no, I don't mean the Mandarin. I don't mind the twist. I just find Killian a lackluster villain) and Tony's arc is a bit odd to me in parts.

That aside, I had fun.

Then again its a Marvel moopie and apparently everyone sees it all as child's play so what do I know?

:P

Natemans:

Then again its a Marvel moopie and apparently everyone sees it all as child's play so what do I know?

Well, I can say that Iron Man 3 is my #3 MCU film, and is more a 7/10 from me. I admit I'm probably in the minority there, but it's nice to see that there's at least one other person that doesn't see it as the spawn of Satan.

Hawki:

Natemans:

Well, I can say that Iron Man 3 is my #3 MCU film, and is more a 7/10 from me. I admit I'm probably in the minority there, but it's nice to see that there's at least one other person that doesn't see it as the spawn of Satan.

A few friends of mine love it as well.

The Cloverfield Paradox
The entirety of this synopsis can be boiled down to the humble phrase "those multiple dimensions 'n shit are weird, amirite guis??" With that exact wording, because the impression I get from this is somebody read a dummy's introduction to particle accelerators and a dummy's introduction to theories on multiple dimensions, got bored halfway through, got stoned then wrote this while mostly distracted by their colourful new fishtank lights. Stop pissing in the sci-fi pool, asshole! It's bad enough already with how little investors care for the genre without this faux crap making it look worse. Actors did their best though, for what it's worth.

It seems not since Alien Covenant has time felt so disappointingly wasted, and at least that had some technically coherent direction, along with the Fassbender kissing Fassbender moment, even if its sole intentions were to stamp out all intrigue and itself in favour of safe, fearful, passionless fanservice. But they balance out and I hate them both equally.

In the end, the only thought left is; didn't Event Horizon do this (vaguely similar) far better 21 years ago?

Annihilation
Psss...watch this instead, unless you have an aversion to the slower paced film. And fuck those specific investors who fail to market these films and assume that audiences are just dumb instead, I wonder if it's an issue of if they don't understand enough to appreciate, then everyone else must be even worse.

The Children
Welp. This could easily be retitled "Your Kids Are Going to Fucking Kill You!" But it's done rather well, considering, and the kids really are quite creepy, even moreso than your average human spawn meats. The adults are all variations of unlikeable, but that appears more intentional in this case. Every time there is another poor white girl with straight black hair being demonised in yet another derivative attempt at horror, show those hack fucks this film to see if they learn anything.

The Limehouse Golem
Period Murder mystery with Bill Nighy in the main role. Quite a splendid script there

Lady Bird 9/10

Now, I'm rating this one nine outta ten for different reasons compared to Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (also Lucas Hedges is in both). Lady Bird's scenes feel like ones that would happen. They are both just the scenes that need to happen for the movie to go forward, but it seems the feeling of the characters actually living those moments through is realized superbly. Some characters are more about being fun movie fodder, but the ones that matter most are excellent, making this the best movie set in Sacramento in 2002-03.

Ready Player One.

The only part that got me hyped was the climax IN the Oasis, perticularly when MechaGodzilla came out and you have both the Iron Giant and The RX-78-2 Gundam fighting it.

I just wish this whole thing was more of that than the boredom that was the main story of the characters in the real world.

Not a fan of any of the designs of the main characters, also why does the villain's avatar in the Oasis look like Clark Kent/Superman, he looks almsot exactly like Alex Ross' paintings of Supes?

And speaking of the design of the world it looks way too "filtered?" I can hardly see anything in the background with all the Abrams' esque lens flare and imagry.

The only thing I hope is that this movie shows you can make a CGI movie that does not look like a Pixar film because this movie is essentially a cartoon if it did not have the live action sequences.

In the end I was not that impressed with the movie, 5/10.

Samtemdo8:
Ready Player One.

The only part that got me hyped was the climax IN the Oasis, perticularly when MechaGodzilla came out and you have both the Iron Giant and The RX-78-2 Gundam fighting it.

I just wish this whole thing was more of that than the boredom that was the main story of the characters in the real world.

Not a fan of any of the designs of the main characters, also why does the villain's avatar in the Oasis look like Clark Kent/Superman, he looks almsot exactly like Alex Ross' paintings of Supes?

And speaking of the design of the world it looks way too "filtered?" I can hardly see anything in the background with all the Abrams' esque lens flare and imagry.

The only thing I hope is that this movie shows you can make a CGI movie that does not look like a Pixar film because this movie is essentially a cartoon if it did not have the live action sequences.

In the end I was not that impressed with the movie, 5/10.

All I'm hoping for when I see it is if its better than the book. Because the source is pure garbage.

Finally watched the second film in the Apu trilogy. Authentic, sad, beautiful. 9/10.

I saw Ready Player One last weekend, and really loved it... granted, that might be due to my fondness for the book... despite it's... problematic parts. But I refuse to let that spoil my enjoyment of the book or the movie.

Though I think I might like the movie better, as it streamlines the story considerably. The CGI is incredible and really shows the scope of the OASIS, and the action scenes were great. That huge battle at the end was particularly awesome.

My only real issue with the movie is how the relationship between the two leads was a bit rushed, considering how they had more time to get to know each other in the book.

Still for me it's a pretty solid 9/10.

Call Me by Your Name
The age difference really bugged me. A lot of people bring up the fact that Elio pushes the affair single-handed but I would argue that Armie Hammer was the one in charge from beginning to end, i.e. not confused about his emotions and completely in control. Also "the child consented" isn't the best argument. Cool soundtrack though.

Ready Player One -

Okay, I'll admit after reading the book, I became incredibly skeptical and hoping that Spielberg didn't mess this up. Thankfully its fine I guess. Could have been a lot worse and a lot better. There's some cool visuals, decent moments and the second puzzle's reference was a nice tribute though it is bogged down by some weak writing and cringeworthy dialogue.

6/10

Blade of the Immortal on Netflix, 6/10.

I have a tough time watching movies that surpass the 2-hour length these days, so I watched this on two separate occasions, which kind of messed with the flow of the movie. That said, since it is adapting several arcs from the manga, there's some pacing issues overall: the stakes seem to rise, and then deflate multiple times, like a television show. It was still entertaining though. There's a delightful insistence on practical effects and tons of extras for all the important scenes, which helps ground the setting. The dynamic between Manji and the girl is interesting, since she's actually the one who's depicted as being more wrong, and Manji only helps her out of annoyance, but becomes more invested as time goes on. The violence is also meaty and ugly, which for this kind of movie is a big plus.

Ingrid Goes West
Poor Ingrid, she needs help. Not social media. She also needs to see this film!

Kong Island of Skulls Island Shaped like a Skull Island
Monkey big, people small, Jackson mad, was John Goodman's implied arc cut short? Hey...
Nevermind. What filter is that? Looks great. Not too impressed by the big bad monster design though, it looks kinda like somebody gave up halfway through drawing a dinosaur a called it a day. Alright entertainment however. It does the job like a free bottle of Scotch and an overdose of morphine.

A Quiet Place

Really fucking good. Basically about a family that have to live in silence or be hunted by a monster, very likely alien, that hunts by sound. There are a few moments that seem odd if you spend too long thinking about it, moments that are silent when they very likely shouldn't be, but overall it was a fun time.

Rewatched Scarface. Yeah, pretty good movie. The original felt more purposeful and did it in a much shorter time. I think making the law the main enemy was a better way to do it.

The Party (7/10)

This is a mixed bag for me. You can tell by the rating that I think it's "good," but still, mixed.

For one thing, this movie is incredibly short (just over an hour), and is shot in black and white for some reason. Not that that's inherently bad, but it doesn't add anything to the movie. Furthermore, the movie feels like a play, given that it's confined to a single location, and is the trope of "dinner occurs, characters discover things, resentment comes boiling to the surface." I've seen it done before, and seen it done better. It also touches on themes (class, hypocrisy, capitalism, religion), but never really does anything with them. Just because a work touches on themes and ideas, doesn't mean it's a thematic work in of itself. But, what the work is, is is a black comedy, and in that, it succeeds (or a, ahme, "black and white" comedy).

So, it's "good," if only just.

Big Hero 6 and Inside Out
Wish I had these types of brilliantly crafted films for inspiration as a kid, who knows what those morals might have changed at an early age. Though with Inside Out and generally a lot of US films about growing up, something about the presentation of the typically unblemished nuclear American family upbringing makes me fucking sick to see, with such picture perfect happiness like some 80's white suburban neighborhood TV promotion veiling the local racist killings and prevailent sexual abuse. Is everyone really that content and loved as children over there? And what is it with imaginary friends apparently being so common? I never had even a hint of that nor most people I know, what gives? Anyway, these are mere observations on a particular trend, and the film was great regardless of such nauseatingly saccharine shite, which is a credit not lightly given. Big Hero 6 wins by a nat's estranged pube on that front. Both highly recommended though.

Quite liked this little short after the credits of Inside Out, however there's a fine line between an intentional homage to Somewhere over the rainbow and just chord-for-ukulele-chord ripping it off. I don't know enough of their intentions to say which side this falls on;

Veronica Guerin
Cate Blanchett plays the eponymous reporter in this retelling of the woman who was assassinated in 1996 for her investigations and reporting of local Irish drug gang activity. Within a quarter of an hour we get an understated scene of a couple of toddlers at a dingy park casually playing with dirty old used heroin needles as if they were nought but any discovered abandoned toy, at which point my attention was caught and the cockles of my heart relaxed in warm relief, for now we know this film isn't fucking around sugar-coating or over-dramatising any aspect of the situation. Seeing as the real-life story already happened and been publicised, it isn't a spoiler to say things do not end well for her. But an inspired performance of an inspiring yet tragically fated women with a brilliant supporting cast of natural talent makes it worth the time, unless you have strong aversions to the subject matter or omnipresent overcast weather.

Hawki:
Tomb Raider (7/10)

Slow clap...

Well done you guys. You did it. You made the first truly "good" theatrical VG-based movie...if only just.

I'd argue the first Tomb Raider film was the first good VG movie. Okay, "good" might not be the best word, but certainly entertaining, and not in a purely ironic way either.

Anyway, to contribute: Get Out

I thought it was a great movie. The main twists are mostly predictable, but plot twists are way overrated and the film certainly built to them effectively. The directing was great, surprisingly consistent from a first timer, and the acting I think is phenomenal. The mood and tone are great, and it's got a lot of little details for those paying attention that add up to a very well-thought out and thorough story with interesting subtext. I give it 9/10, I think the only letdowns for me were a slightly abrupt ending and the humor was almost all from one character who kinda didn't fit into the story as well as the rest of the film's pieces.

TheVampwizimp:

I'd argue the first Tomb Raider film was the first good VG movie. Okay, "good" might not be the best word, but certainly entertaining, and not in a purely ironic way either.

...what?

Look, to each their own, but the only way I could enjoy (or see anyone enjoying) the first Tomb Raider film is in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. I mean, sure, I enjoyed it as a kid, but I rewatched it a few years ago and...oh JESUS GOD WHAT IS THIS?! By the scale of ranking in this thread, I'd give it a 3/10, just shy of a 2.

As for whether it's entertaining, I won't list Super Mario Bros or Double Dragon, because while I found them entertaining as a kid, Tomb Raider itself shows that perceptions can change with age. But I'd say Mortal Kombat certainly passes the test of beng "entertaining," if not "good" (and even then, with MK, I'd put Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, and now Tomb Raider 2018 above it).

Hawki:

TheVampwizimp:

...what?

Look, to each their own, but the only way I could enjoy (or see anyone enjoying) the first Tomb Raider film is in a "so bad it's good" kind of way. I mean, sure, I enjoyed it as a kid, but I rewatched it a few years ago and...oh JESUS GOD WHAT IS THIS?! By the scale of ranking in this thread, I'd give it a 3/10, just shy of a 2.

As for whether it's entertaining, I won't list Super Mario Bros or Double Dragon, because while I found them entertaining as a kid, Tomb Raider itself shows that perceptions can change with age. But I'd say Mortal Kombat certainly passes the test of beng "entertaining," if not "good" (and even then, with MK, I'd put Resident Evil, Prince of Persia, and now Tomb Raider 2018 above it).

I dunno, I think it's honestly better than it gets credit for. Obviously much of it is bad, even some of the good parts, but some of it is actually good. The action scenes are pretty creatively laid out. Angelina Jolie is a perfect Lara, her smirking confidence is dead on (before they rebooted the character) and she surely looks the part. I'd say tonally it is also quite apropos of the games it emulates.

Mortal Kombat is an enjoyable movie, but where it is just goofy and low-rent and effectively shitty, Tomb Raider has some polish and a clear effort to break past that exceedingly low bar.

Black Panther(2018)
In my opinion, it was just MARVELous! With Chadwick Boseman bringing his acting skills to life with the Black Panther character and Michael B Jordan doing an exceptional job as killmonger the movie is just a mixture of awesomeness.
As evidenced by the stats, no movie which has the Black Panther has ever been a failure and now there is infinity war to look forward to.
Starting off with the scene where T'challa drops from a plane, to the Black Panther rituals and to the final fight, everything was keeping me at the edge of my seat.

Annihilation (0/10)

For me, one of the worst pieces of film making I've seen in quite a while. Natalie Portman clearly wanted to do a Wynonna Rider in Stranger Things and get a bit of career bump from Netflix. Hilariously ridiculous plot, part of a State has vanished under an enormous glowing dome but the government has managed to, er, keep a lid on it. It's in a swamp you see. They send in a team of highly trained navy seals who utterly vanish, so they follow this up by sending a team of 4 entirely untrained and unsupported women scientists, who naturally all turn out to have had some sort of emotional trauma they can emote over. Diabolical acting, a pseudo intellectual ending in a desperate attempt to add some meaning to the whole torrid affair, all recounted at a pace so utterly leaden you hope the bear eats them all. I was surprised that Alex Garland was involved, I've quite liked his stuff to date, right back to when I read the Beach.

TheVampwizimp:

I dunno, I think it's honestly better than it gets credit for. Obviously much of it is bad, even some of the good parts, but some of it is actually good. The action scenes are pretty creatively laid out. Angelina Jolie is a perfect Lara, her smirking confidence is dead on (before they rebooted the character) and she surely looks the part. I'd say tonally it is also quite apropos of the games it emulates.

Mortal Kombat is an enjoyable movie, but where it is just goofy and low-rent and effectively shitty, Tomb Raider has some polish and a clear effort to break past that exceedingly low bar.

You can polish a turd, but that doesn't stop it from being a turd.

MK may be more low budget, but it's got a far better grasp on story and characters - not deep characters mind you, but still ones with understandable motivations, and understandable stakes. Tomb Raider might have some fun action scenes, but its story and characters are lacklustre.

I recently watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. I think the character arks are getting more developed in these alter MI movies. Ethan, despite his age, looks better than ever and his relationship with the British spy was so interesting. The action scenes were maybe not the most memorable in the series, but still quite cool. I guess Jeremy Renner is glad he's out of the series, as his character barely did anything. I'm super excited for Fallout!

3.5/5

throwmetothewolves:
I recently watched Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation. I think the character arks

Arks?

ARKS?!

But I like Rogue Nation and especially Ilsa as well, so I'll let that pass.

So I watched Pirates 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales......

My Life as a Dog (1985, Sweden)

I thought it was pretty good. I wonder if it's rated kind of low on IMDB because people are offended because of the slight sexuality and the preadolescent girl showing the protagonist (also a kid) her tits.

Dunkirk (yes, I'm late)

7/10

Liked it a lot, don't understand the hate it got upon release. Great visuals, great soundtrack. I like that they didn't make the 1000th anti-war movie all about how the terrors of violent conflict are changing these guys in that and that way and blablabla, it was just pure survival, more of a horror movie than anything else.

Realistic dog fights, fuck yes! Down to the tiny details like the pilots voices vibrating with the machine. Massive props to Tom Hardy for acting purely through his eyes pretty much the entire movie, what a great actor.

I'll throw in a second just to rant.

------------------------

The Dark Knight Rises

4/10

This movie was a fucking mess. The only thing that stops it from being a complete waste of time is the villain which, well... You know.

Way too much shit packed into way too little time. Maybe this is some comic book shit I know nothing about but why exactly did Catwoman have to be there? Totally unnecessary character. Not to mention that she is one of TWO love interests. Also a lot of missed opportunity. How interesting would it have been if

Instead we get this boring messy story which for the most part we've seen roughly 300 times beforehand, fused with a weird subtext about how you neeeeeeed the corrupt ruling 1%ers or everything will devolve into chaaaoooos! Which I'm not sure was even intentional, but there you go.

At the end of the day this movie would have been better without Batman in it. Just Bane and the police commander guy. Probably would have been lore rape but I don't care and neither should you.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here