Things you used to hate that you now love

Yeah, we've done this before, probably. Screw it, once more won't hurt.

People tend to change over time, and as they change, so do their tastes. Things they hated become things they love. It can be anything. Food, music and all kinds of other media, sports, clothing, even people and much more.

As for me, used to hate parmezan cheese as a young un. Despised it. Wouldn't even touch something that had it. Nowadays , people are likely to ask if I'd like some pasta to go with my parmezan. Only freshly grated tho. No pre-packaged stuff.

Or music. Used to be a hardcore metalhead. Big on prog metal too. The more complex, the better. Pop and electronic music? Talentless hacks that just press a button and then playback. I got over it and myself. I love all kinds of genres now. Or rather, I enjoy a very wide variety of artists. My rule is that there are no bad styles of music, only bad artists. Someone talented enough can make anything work.

Eh, men's dress shoes. Stuff like oxfords and derbies. Always hated it when my mom made me wear some as a kid for family gatherings and fancy stuff. Why couldn't I just wear my sneakers? Now I pretty much don't wear anything else. Got a preference for Italian styles.

So how about you lot? What is something you used to hate that you now love?

Onions and garlic. Was never a fan when I was little. Now they, along with ginger, are a holy trinity of delicious.

And I still despise most of Disney's animated 'musical' movies (though I did find The Emperor's New Groove amusing)... but Moana was... delightful. Touching. I dunno, it won me over. Might have to do with my son having fallen in love with the movie too, though.

Guitar Hero. I don't get into Rock music at all (not a fan of popular music on the whole,) so when GH took last gen by storm with its Playskool-esque peripherals and a new licensed game seemingly every 9 minutes, by default, I hated it; I didn't need to play it know I hated it. It wasn't long before my cousin mentioned he had the latest GH and how much fun it was. Mind you, he was/is a super casual gamer, owning an Xbox and maybe 3-4 games which he might indulge in a few times a month, so when he told me, a "real" gamer, about GH, I sloughed him off as amateur. But he insisted I try it, so one weekend, I lowered myself to his level (with a caveat that copious amounts of alcohol be involved) and told him to bring by his "toy." Aaaaaaaaaand, I ended up loving it. I still didn't like the music, but the game itself was fun. I didn't eat crow right away, though; instead, I waited a week before buying my own GH guitar... then another... and GH2 and GH3 and Aerosmith. In about a month, I had 5 starred every song on every game on Medium and was displaying competence on Hard. I eventually became the guy trying to convince all my "real" gamer friends how much fun GH was.

Half the food pyramid. Used to hate vegetables as a kid, obviously, and now I find that I go out of my way to eat them (to the disgust of my college friends).

Music, never cared for it. I still sort of don't, but I listen to music often these days due to long commutes, so I'm starting to develop my taste in music.

Bob_McMillan:
Half the food pyramid. Used to hate vegetables as a kid, obviously, and now I find that I go out of my way to eat them (to the disgust of my college friends).

Music, never cared for it. I still sort of don't, but I listen to music often these days due to long commutes, so I'm starting to develop my taste in music.

Wow, you don't like ANY music? That's strange, but I can actually relate. I didn't like music as a kid either; I grew up surrounded by all the popular '80s-'90s stuff, some older stuff from my parents, but none of it really spoke to me. I wasn't averse to music, I just saw it as largely... pointless? But I was gifted a keyboard when I was 12, and after showing a strong ear and knack for playing, my parents enrolled me in piano lessons. After a while, I discovered Classical music; of all the music I'd ever heard, it was the only that I actually liked. Then I found Yanni and his blend of a classical sound and electronic instrumentation, a sound that I later learned to be New Age and it dominated my listening for the better part of the next 3 years. With my ear now turned towards sounds that traditional instruments can't produce, I found Electronic music around the age of 16 or so; it was like a drug; it is like a drug; it's still all I listen to +20 years later, and is a very important aspect of my life (i.e.: my username is an homage to experimental electronic music.)

Sucks though because it's hard to find people to relate to and share music; anybody can mention a name like Nirvana, Tupac or Prince and get recognition, but tell someone about Autechre, Boards of Canada or Plaid, and you'll get a blank stare. Then the music itself isn't like any of the same 6 songs repeated ad nauseam on the popular radio stations, so they just think it's alien or weird. Yes, it's often different, but I like to think it's more intellectually demanding than the mass produced fodder on the radio, hence a lot more rewarding.

Meat. It was hard getting child-me to eat anything other than chicken, but these days I'm fairly carnivorous and will have a crack at most things. My dad reckons its because he might have overcooked things, not wanting to give his kids food poisoning and over-compensating to the other extreme. Its less that I've developed a taste for meat and more just that its being prepared properly now

You guys <3

Love is perhaps a bit strong but I appreciated the matrix films a lot more after somebody clued me in that it was about Boudrillard and not just skepticism (as well as the setting illustrated that idea) and, on rewatching, after understanding that talk with the architect at the end of the second film. That talk calls out a lot of the things that made no sense during the first one and a half movie, like why does Neo have superpowers in the matrix, why do the characters feel the need to wear sunglasses in the dark (In one scene, Neo even has the gall to take them off as bright light starts shining in his face) and why are the events as convenient to the plot as they are?

I have to say that I can think about a lot of things that I used to hate that I now think are allright or at least not as bad as I thought, but I can't come up with any real 180's off the top of my head.

anthony87:
You guys <3

Harder rock.

Easy mode in games.

Dubs of anime.

Reading fiction. Never saw the point of it as a kid. The stuff that happened in history, decided by real people, always struck me as far more interesting. These days I can appreciate the value of a fictional scenario with a plot tailored for maximum dramatic impact.

The Transformers movies. There was this sort of culture around them very similar to the one around the Twilight franchise where it was fashionable among movie enthusiasts to treat them as some sort of insult. Having actually watched all of them recently, with a greater understanding of the medium than I had when I was younger I actually felt that they are beautifully made movies, in turn of craftsmanship far beyond your usual high budget action movie. I'm a pretty big Michael Bay fanboy now.

Batman v Superman didn't really click for me the first time but now it's easily my favourite superhero movie I'Ve ever seen. I think initially I didn't really watch it on its own terms, I expected something more conventional but watching it with the expecting I watch any other superhero movie made me disregard the greatest epic to come out of the genre.

I had to start Dark Souls over about three times until I actually got invested in it. First time I gave up on the Belltower Gargoyles, second time at the Moonlight Butterfly, then I gave it another try and I actually finished it and I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's a fantastic game.

The Metal Gear series.To be fair, my first experience with it was with MGS 4 on the PS3 because I only had Nintendo consoles before but 14 year old me, who expected something like Splinter Cell and had little tolerance for long cutscenes hated it. I actually got into the series way later when I bought the legacy collections and then I realized what people see in it. I still think MGS 4 kinda sucks, though.

Compassion & kindness.

Coffee.

Political activists.

Sleep.

Rehabilitation instead of punishment.

Mathematics and science.

Euthanasia.

Tanis:
Harder rock.

Easy mode in games.

Dubs of anime.

That's a simple reason why: even in the 90s, the quality of dubs were going up, even back then compared to the 80s. By the time the 2010s hit, there was rarely a bad dub in sight. You can thank companies like Funimation, Senta Filmworks, Manga Entertainment, and ADV (though they had a few missteps that caused them to shutdown).

Ghost in the Shell (95 anime) - In 2002, I first watched it and found it boring and overrated. Watching again a couple of years ago, and looking a Bennett's review, I have a new appreciation for what it did for the anime medium and Western medium as a whole. I still think movie is overrated, but I'll take this and most of the old school over the moe-centric/over focused "otaku appeal" that is put out nowadays. Most anime, I don't bother with, because most of it looks the same. Say what you will about anime back then, but at least most people were setting new things, trying to tell stories, or had their own unique art style, and weren't always (some anime shows did and it increased in the mid 2000s) trying to appeal otaku's in their 30s or 40s with the same old slop.

Jim Sterling. At the time I saw him as nothing more than another "angry vg critic". Back then, that was the truth. Him listening to other's legit criticism, and Jim learning some humility and learning to improve himself did wonders. I went from not liking him, to respecting him, to enjoying and couldn't get enough of his videos. I still respectfully disagree with some of his opinions, but the fact he states his opinions in a non-insulting (unless the person(s) are that shitty) manner unlike some "celebrities" on the net, makes him all the more joyful for me.

"Hate" is a strong term, but okay, I'll play:

Sushi

Mushrooms

-Diablo (sort of - let's just say I played D2 when it came out and hated it, but quite enjoy D1 and D3, and I was made admin of the Diablo wiki, so, sure...I can add this)

-Expanse (again, sort of - I'm really not fond of the books, but much to my surprise, I really like the TV series)

-The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker (I originally really disliked this game, but when I replayed it, because my favorite game of all time)

-Mission: Impossible (sort of - found myself liking this series far more than I used to in the past)

Blighttown in Dark Souls. Everyone loves to hate Blighttown, myself included until recently. I started a new character, made it to Blighttown, and framerate issues aside, it's a really fun area (once you know it like the back of your hand.) Basically, for me Blighttown is the first area where you and the game feel like you're on level playing ground; it feels like the most "Dark Souls-y" area of the game. Prior to Blighttown, you're under powered, but enemies are all basically static allowing you to engage as you see fit; after Blighttown, Sen's is a frustrating puzzle, Anor Londo has an awesome boss fight, but is basically empty, then after that, the game almost losses any semblance of challenge at all. Blighttown is the area where you feel "gud" but must be "gud" at the same time. The ghouls have wide aggro ranges and are extremely aggresive, the moving bridges, the mosquitos, the "dart guys," the vertical maze structure, the poison lake, all the items to find and resources to manage...

A lot of people say Ornstein & Smough are the line that separates the "nubs" from the "guds," and in many ways, that's true insofar as learning how to handle yourself in a boss fight, but Blighttown is the first protracted and definitive Dark Souls experience. Even after finding both bonfires, neither is anywhere close to the safety and convenience of the world above (i.e.: blacksmiths, vendors, etc.;) you have to rely on yourself. And should you decide to retreat? Guess what: doublely-hard as now you must travel back through Blighttown, but with even less than you came in with!

Dill pickles. Onions. Various spices. Spicy food is my jam now, though I almost always suffer for it later.

Honestly, mostly just foods I disliked as a child but am good with now. Also beer. I drank nothing but vodka martinis my whole first year of university because I thought it was cool.

In fairness, beer has gotten hella better since then.

Xprimentyl:
Boards of Canada

+1

I do think my music tastes are more eclectic than when I was younger though I also think everone kind of tells themselves this at one point.

Chewster:

Xprimentyl:
Boards of Canada

+1

I do think my music tastes are more eclectic than when I was younger though I also think everone kind of tells themselves this at one point.

Not me; I've always been on the musical outs as compared to the popular, more accessible majority. At 14 listening to Chopin and Liszt, at 17 listening to Enya and Suzanne Ciani and now in my 30s listening to the likes of Arc Lab and Near The Parenthesis, it's rare (read: never) that I'm ever asked to play DJ at social gatherings. If anything, my taste in electronic music has changed; I started with the semi-MTV friendly stuff like Chemical Brothers or Moby, but I've since "evolved" as I've dug deeper over the years. I don't discount a lot of that early stuff though, fond memories and my current favs stand on the shoulders of giants, but were I hear some of it fresh today, it probably wouldn't hold my attention.

The 2DS. Back when it was first announced in a Gaming thread I looked at it with distrust and as an easy cashgrab. Got pretty wordy about it too.
I own one now with a continuously growing library of puzzle games, and while it still has a gummy D-pad I've had good fun with it.

Neapolitan ice cream. I didn't understand why it existed when I was a kid. Can't get enough of the stuff now though.

As a kid I used to hate whendad would play 70s and 80s music. The Police, Yusuf Islam, James Taylor, Billy Idol, etc...

Now I find myself just listening to them again.

I'm not sure if 'hate' is the correct word, or that 'love' is the correct word either, but modern pop music. Katty Perry, Miley Cyrus, Gaga, and a few others.
Their music isn't nearly as bad as I once thought. Its okay. Not great, but its not bad.

I never hated them, but as a teen I highly preferred both Aliens and Terminator 2 over their orginals, now I'm the complete opposite -- Alien and The Terminator demolish the sequels.

Dogs.

Loud, hyperactive, drooling everywhere, and always making me sneeze. I couldn't stand them, or anything that made spontaneous loud noises for that matter.

Eventually, my parents got a hypoallergenic puppy who managed to crack my shell. She was quiet most of the time, and was small and fluffy, so when she wanted my attention, the worst she could do was poke my leg with her nose, unlike the big ones who try to tackle you to the floor.

Nowadays, I can now enjoy them as long as I don't have to take care of them.

Human babies are still on my shit list though. Maybe that'll change over time as well.

Xprimentyl:
Autechre, Boards of Canada or Plaid,

All lovely choices. Also, I dig the Aphex Twin avatar man.

Look at some of my posting history and you'll legitimately be able to call me a massive weeaboo (well, sort of), but as an ethnically Chinese person who inherited a lot of WWII interest from his pops, I grew up with a nigh irrational hatred for anything and everything Japanese.

Then I got over myself.

Casual Shinji:
I never hated them, but as a teen I highly preferred both Aliens and Terminator 2 over their orginals, now I'm the complete opposite -- Alien and The Terminator demolish the sequels.

Aged into having a finer appreciation of the thriller leanings and out of the action leanings!

Elijin:

Casual Shinji:

Aged into having a finer appreciation of the thriller leanings and out of the action leanings!

Not even so much that, I mean, The Terminator is an action movie itself. And there are other actions movies that I've actually learned to appreciate more now that I've gotten older. Aliens I just have a lot of big problems with now, and Terminator 2 is essentially just a bigger budget (and consequently a more bloated) version of the first movie.

Subtitles

I used to be all "If I wanted to read, I'd crack a book". Recently, my son and I have been watching a lot of DTV foreign martial arts films with Iko Uwais, Tony Jaa, Marko Zaror, Donnie Yen, etc. This didn't bother me as much because you're mostly there to watch the sweet fights. The thing is, some of these movies happened to have somewhat engaging stories and I really got used to subtitles.

This led to me watching a lot of movies that I never would've considered before. Also, Train to Busan is brilliant.

Recently, my wife and I have been watching Castle Rock. This show has a lot of those moments with quiet or whispered dialogue and my wife kept rewinding to try and hear what they said. I suggested simply turning on the subtitles and we didn't have to do that for the remainder of the show. So yeah. I'm real big on subtitles these days.

I think I should go back and watch some Tom Hardy movies with the subtitles on.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here