Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I would have made this a poll, but well, the poll monster has a bottomless stomach right now.

So anyway, how do you recognise people on forums? For me, it tends to be a bit of both. A memorable avatar may stick in my mind even after only being seen once or twice, but I wouldn't be able to tie it to a person. Generally a name takes longer to learn, but once I can remember it, then I'll have a sense of who's behind the handle, so to speak.

How about you?

If it's someone who keeps their avatar for a long time (like me), then it's the avatar. If it's someone I'm constantly interacting with, then I'll remember their username.

I kept mine for ages but I've tried to remember usernames as not everyone does the same.

Avatars. Eventually I may remember a person by their username, but that's usually cause they keep changing their avatar and forcing me to, or because their name stands out to me.

I tried to keep it simple for everybody :)

I only recognize a few people. Some by avatar some by username and some I associate their username with an avatar. I'm very busy in real life these days to pay too much attention to such things though. If I was still a teenager I'd recognize everyone.

Well, for example, since Sealune just posted, I get to say that I recognize Sealune by both the name and avatar. One doesn't go without the other.

Largely recognize people most immediately by username. The avatar is kind just something that gets attached, though I do tend to internalize both to some degree.

I changed my avatar constantly years back but I think I'm kinda done doing that.

Depends on the name/avatar, but usually I'll associate one with the other. If the avatar changes I notice. I still remember name/avatar combinations from ten years ago for users that haven't posted since I stopped lurking.

Also, people are their avatar to me.

Avatars. If I suddenly see a new avatar in a thread then I'll look at their username to see if it's someone I recognize but I mostly remember people based on their avatars. I seem to be the only person to have changed their avatar in a while but most people keep them pretty consistent so it's not usually a problem.

I usually remember names if I've talked... or argued, with the person for an extensive amount of time.

Usually username, but it depends on the username. ebalosus - sorry man, that's just not memorable. The last poster I'd just read as Specter and not internalise the rest of the name

But then there are Avaters like Zykon... that's just striking

Sooo... mixed bag?

Neither really. With a few of the long time regulars as an exception, I'll remember someone I'm conversing with for a couple of weeks. Maybe recognize someone longer than that as "someone I talked with a while back... I think." And other than that the entire collection of names here are just vaguely familiar people I talk with on occasion. Sometimes I'll go back and look at my old posts and realize "oh, I talked with that guy just a few weeks ago... I didn't remember that at all."

I used to recognise people by their avatars, but I haven't been able to see avatars on this site for quite some time now so I've had to start remembering your names. :)

I have another take on this.

For my first few years on this forum, I didn't have an avatar. I seldom got responded to.

I find the Hero of All with Lucio, and I wish to show that. And then I'm apparently noticed.

By that interaction, I'd have to say Avatars are important.

Grouchy Imp:
I used to recognise people by their avatars, but I haven't been able to see avatars on this site for quite some time now so I've had to start remembering your names. :)

If you go into your settings, you can turn the avatars back on. That fixed it for me anyway.

I usually recognize an avatar first and then tie it to a username which gets confusing when someone changes their avatar. For example I see the Team Rocket avatar and I instantly know it's Redlin5.

Bit of both. I recognize most of the regulars by their avatar and username, though for less frequent posters it's usually just the username.

Almost always recognise posters by Avatar. I usually imagine that they actually are their Avatar, as well.

Some common posters have had their Avatars long enough that I do recognize them more than the name. Others not as much.
Having an avatar connected to your name makes the name easy to remember too.

My favorite avatar is probably Canadamus Prime.

Back when the site had a much larger population I primarily went by Avatars. As the population shrank I started picking up more names.

Also some of the long time posters occasionally change their Avatars so it was always necessary for me to pay at least a smidgen of attention to user's names.

Silvanus:
Almost always recognise posters by Avatar. I usually imagine that they actually are their Avatar, as well.

Same!

...Which is why I hate when you change yours! Though you keep to a theme, but its been a while since your nun.

Catfood220:

Grouchy Imp:

If you go into your settings, you can turn the avatars back on. That fixed it for me anyway.

Huh, well I never. Cheers for that, and good to see you all back!

ObsidianJones:
I have another take on this.

For my first few years on this forum, I didn't have an avatar. I seldom got responded to.

I find the Hero of All with Lucio, and I wish to show that. And then I'm apparently noticed.

By that interaction, I'd have to say Avatars are important.

Ironically, I recognise you by your username, nt your avatar.

OT: a little of both. Some avatars I remember more eadily than names. There are some people who could change their avatars a thousand times and I might not notice. Okay, I'd probably pick up on it eventually.....

A few months ago, I would have said I recognize both names and avatars equally, but during an Escapist "derp" moment when avatars were disabled, I suffered rapid onset Alzheimer's: I felt like I vaguely recognized everyone, but honestly had no idea who any of you were.

JoJo:
I would have made this a poll, but well, the poll monster has a bottomless stomach right now.

So anyway, how do you recognise people on forums? For me, it tends to be a bit of both. A memorable avatar may stick in my mind even after only being seen once or twice, but I wouldn't be able to tie it to a person. Generally a name takes longer to learn, but once I can remember it, then I'll have a sense of who's behind the handle, so to speak.

How about you?

I am pretty much like you. I will remember avatars from the less frequent posters, or ones I am less familiar with, but I am usually more dependent on names. All the ponies and waifus make names all that more necessary as to not see them all as one person. They sort of all mesh together as "megaponifu".

I hate it when people change their names or avatars, makes it more difficult to remember who they are. I change mine very infrequently for that reason, and only changed it to the cuter devil kitties friends sent me after people informed me I was frightening them with the devil cat demon I had before. I seem to notice people with cat avatars over most though. :D

Catfood220:

Grouchy Imp:

I had already been seeing avatars for the most part, then went to settings and made sure everything was on and no matter how many times I updated no to disabled avatars, yes to quote notifications it would set it back to disabled avatars and quote notifications.

Also my custom title had read " More Lego Goats please" forever, and when I tried to update quote notifications a few months ago, it disappeared and would not allow me to reset it. I think settings still have a good deal of work done to them to be properly operational again.

It finally let me see avatars again after multiple tries as long as I don't try to touch quote notifications or anything else. I am afraid to touch the settings until they iron out the problems.

Anyone in Tech that can give me back my "More Lego Goats please!" title would be appreciated. :)

Usually avatars. Some people I've seen post often for a long time are ones I can recognize by name, but the users I don't see as frequently tend to be recognized by avatar alone

Most of the time it's by avatar.

There are some avatars that I really enjoy since I think they're either cool or rememberable. Super helpful for me with posters that don't post too often since I probably won't remember their user name.

Unless someone changes theirs a million times then I just go by username, but then again there tends to be a theme with them so I try to remember that.

Avatars mostly. Basically the site is so bricked I can either see people's avatars, or receive forum notifications, not both, so I've chosen avatars.

By usernames, unless it's people who never change avatars.

Both and I dislike it when people radically change their any of them.

Sometimes I completely forget people who turns out I already knew who they are because they changed their avatar.

Samtemdo8:

Sometimes I completely forget people who turns out I already knew who they are because they changed their avatar.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one

Saelune:

Silvanus:

Same!

...Which is why I hate when you change yours! Though you keep to a theme, but its been a while since your nun.

It is a weird thought. In my logical mind, I have to understand some of the people I like to talk with are not really an anthropomorphized grey animal, a satanic feline, and two hula women (who I assume takes turns responding). But it's hard.

Tis why I'm glad we stopped those pic threads. I don't need my reality breaking.

Something Amyss:

Ironically, I recognise you by your username, not your avatar.

... but... Dat Lucio, though!

Names. Sometimes avatar, too. But mostly by name.

Avatars far more than names, at least as a point of recognition.

I try to not associate any poster with their history and so use the avatars for thread recognition rather than board recognition.

User names usually, though I probably only recall very regular posters, or people who stand out as particularly funny, knowledgeable, angry or some other defining trait.

JoJo:

How about you?

But out of curiosity, OP, what is YOUR avatar from? Every time I see it, it reminds of something, but I can't put my finger on where I've seen it.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here