Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Usernames are easier to remember.

Primarily avatars, which is why it annoys me so much when some of you chuckleheads keep changing them.

I'd say usually I have an instinctual reaction to an avatar pic- at the same instant I see the avatar, I mostly acknowledge the name, and am also tying in why they may be involved in the thread- but it's hard to say for sure which comes first.

Xprimentyl:

JoJo:
I would have made this a poll, but well, the poll monster has a bottomless stomach right now.

So anyway, how do you recognise people on forums? For me, it tends to be a bit of both. A memorable avatar may stick in my mind even after only being seen once or twice, but I wouldn't be able to tie it to a person. Generally a name takes longer to learn, but once I can remember it, then I'll have a sense of who's behind the handle, so to speak.

How about you?

But out of curiosity, OP, what is YOUR avatar from? Every time I see it, it reminds of something, but I can't put my finger on where I've seen it.

I thought it was from Oliver Twist. But then I just make up where avatars came form. I assume yours is some lady legs crossed

ObsidianJones:

... but... Dat Lucio, though!

...I'm going to be honest. I had to look up who Lucio was. It probably packs some resonance to your average gamer, but out of context, it's some dude in sexy Halo cosplay swimsuit edition dancing or...something. I don't know. My vision kind of sucks and gifs are usually low enough resolution I have trouble telling what's going on at this size. Like, I can play games fine, but looking at tiny moving images can be a problem. I think I'more likely to remember someone's avatar if it's static.

Xprimentyl:

JoJo:
I would have made this a poll, but well, the poll monster has a bottomless stomach right now.

So anyway, how do you recognise people on forums? For me, it tends to be a bit of both. A memorable avatar may stick in my mind even after only being seen once or twice, but I wouldn't be able to tie it to a person. Generally a name takes longer to learn, but once I can remember it, then I'll have a sense of who's behind the handle, so to speak.

How about you?

But out of curiosity, OP, what is YOUR avatar from? Every time I see it, it reminds of something, but I can't put my finger on where I've seen it.

Ah, it's a short clip from the British TV show Ashes to Ashes. A little long in the tooth at this point, but it's served me well.

JoJo:

Ah, it's a short clip from the British TV show Ashes to Ashes. A little long in the tooth at this point, but it's served me well.

Huh... My old avatar was the title card of the BBC Life on Mars. Because the world needs more John Simm. The only reason why I switched is because after like 7+ years with it my avatar was lost in the great Escapist Server Crises of 2018...

So I experimented with some software to make my new one.

Yours is better put together, though. Less pixelated and more frames by the look of it... what software package did you use?

Addendum_Forthcoming:

JoJo:

Huh... My old avatar was the title card of the BBC Life on Mars. Because the world needs more John Simm. The only reason why I switched is because after like 7+ years with it my avatar was lost in the great Escapist Server Crises of 2018...

So I experimented with some software to make my new one.

Yours is better put together, though. Less pixelated and more frames by the look of it... what software package did you use?

I have to admit, I ripped the original from Tumblr and then cropped and resized it for the Escapist with an online tool. Probably with ezgif.com or something similar.

Baffle2:
User names usually, though I probably only recall very regular posters, or people who stand out as particularly funny, knowledgeable, angry or some other defining trait.

I see what you did there Santemdo. Going all S/W/F on him LOL!

I tend to use avatars unless someone does something good or bad that is notable enough for me to pay attention to their name.

Baffle2:
User names usually, though I probably only recall very regular posters, or people who stand out as particularly funny, knowledgeable, angry or some other defining trait.

Worgen:
I tend to use avatars unless someone does something good or bad that is notable enough for me to pay attention to their name.

Great, now the "I wonder what category I fit into" starts.

Damnit, high school was years ago!

ObsidianJones:

In that case I'm afraid I have to put you in the old, old, terribly old category. (I'm in the old, old, even older category.)

Mostly usernames. I have terrible memory but for some reason remembering names is one of my "talents".

I can barely remember anyone outside of a thread. Maybe a handful of names over the years but those folks aren't about anymore. I suppose a memorable avatar would be more associated with a person than the name. Generally I can't remember a name outside of a thread so would've forgotten it and moved on with no real memory of to whom I replied or was replied to by. (It isn't personal if anyone thinks I ought to know them and don't.)

I remember Daystar Clarion, because the name came from an Elizabeth Haydon book series of which I am/was a fan (sorta). I remember Caramel Frappe. I remember Vault 101. Actually that's probably it for names; I have a crazy high IQ and a memory like a goldfish. I have no idea if anyone knows me by name, but despite being around since 07/08, I'm a frequent visitor but infrequent poster.

I used to have a different avatar (an animated gif from the Panda Cheese ads), but I changed it to the current one when the forum started malfunctioning and hiding it on the home page. Since then it's gone and I don't think I had a copy anywhere :-(

Usually I remember the avatar and then the name. Case in point, it took me to the end of the thread to realize that

Baffle2:
Snip

You're not Samtemdo! You're an imposter!

It's annoying when someone changes their avatar and their name, then I have to go digging into their post history to figure out if I know them or not.

ObsidianJones:

Something Amyss:

Ironically, I recognise you by your username, not your avatar.

... but... Dat Lucio, though!

Don't worry, I recognize you as the green swirly light!

KingsGambit:
I have no idea if anyone knows me by name, but despite being around since 07/08, I'm a frequent visitor but infrequent poster.

I recognize you by name, and I remember your panda smashing keyboard avatar.

Adam Jensen:
I tried to keep it simple for everybody :)

I only recognize a few people. Some by avatar some by username and some I associate their username with an avatar. I'm very busy in real life these days to pay too much attention to such things though. If I was still a teenager I'd recognize everyone.

Well, for example, since Sealune just posted, I get to say that I recognize Sealune by both the name and avatar. One doesn't go without the other.

Uhh, you spelt it wrong.

JoJo:

I have to admit, I ripped the original from Tumblr and then cropped and resized it for the Escapist with an online tool. Probably with ezgif.com or something similar.

Ahhh ... I threaded together a bunch of tweaked frame caps in GIMP to begin with.

I'm not tech savvy, so a bit of a learning curve. I'm happy with mine, though I was thinking of getting a prancing Celestia avatar. That might be easier, but I like mine as is. I think I can clean it up a bit more, though ... but I thought it was pretty good in omparison to most avatar gifs. Just that yours seems surprisingly good given actual natural light on skin tone, and usually that kills trying to not to pixelate the fuck out of that.

I still like mine because of how I cut out frames it looks like she's ranting while bouncing up and down, and that's pretty much me.

JoJo:

Xprimentyl:

JoJo:

How about you?

Welp, Mandela Effect for the win; I would have bet a dollar to a dime I knew that gif from somewhere, but I've never seen or heard of Ashes to Ashes. And as your new avatar is alien to me, I am no longer haunted by false memories, so thanks on TWO fronts! XD

trunkage:

Xprimentyl:

I thought it was from Oliver Twist. But then I just make up where avatars came form. I assume yours is some lady legs crossed

Agreed, it had a very much "Oliver Twist-y" or maybe Peter Pan? Something I'd certainly seen, but alas... nope.

As for avatar, not lady legs crossed; it's Aphex Twin's logo.

So, Jojo (the Creator of this Thread) decided to change his avatar to what appears to be a pixelated version of the main little boy in "Verb" from Schoolhouse Rock

I must assume it was for one of two reasons.

One, he started this thread with the foreknowledge he was going to change it, in efforts to throw us off which the inevitable change.

Two, the thread was started in efforts to soften the blow...

... And given that I lost a lot of faith after 2016, I choose one. Well Played, Jojo. Long game for the win.

OT: I had no idea who Jojo was when I first saw his new avatar. When I read his name, I thought "Wasn't there already someone here named Jojo?" So, yeah. Another point for avatars.

Either/or, it kinda depends. Personally, I change my Avatar whenever I feel like it, so...

Fortunately the issue with my Avatar showing up is fixed, so I don't have to worry about that.

ObsidianJones:
So, Jojo (the Creator of this Thread) decided to change his avatar to what appears to be a pixelated version of the main little boy in "Verb" from Schoolhouse Rock

I must assume it was for one of two reasons.

One, he started this thread with the foreknowledge he was going to change it, in efforts to throw us off which the inevitable change.

Two, the thread was started in efforts to soften the blow...

... And given that I lost a lot of faith after 2016, I choose one. Well Played, Jojo. Long game for the win.

OT: I had no idea who Jojo was when I first saw his new avatar. When I read his name, I thought "Wasn't there already someone here named Jojo?" So, yeah. Another point for avatars.

Heh, you got me. Though I didn't anticipate the forum's recent downtime, and so this thread ended up much more "current" than I had imagined XD

I follow the common trend. If you've been here a while, I know you by username. Of course never changing your avatar or posting in a very distinct manner helps me learn this faster. But for everybody else it's avatar.

Avatar. In fact, I specifically chose a picture of a dapper gentleman wearing three hats so as to deceive innocent Escapists into believing that was how I dress in real life. (In real life, I am wearing tracksuit pants. THEY'RE COMFORTABLE AND I'M TRYING TO RELAX.)

I do pay attention to people's usernames, but I am ashamed to admit I sometimes get people with similar usernames confused. Like Avnger and Agema. Sorry, you two. Whichever one is reading this. (I won't be able to tell you apart.)

bastardofmelbourne:
Avatar. In fact, I specifically chose a picture of a dapper gentleman wearing three hats so as to deceive innocent Escapists into believing that was how I dress in real life. (In real life, I am wearing tracksuit pants. THEY'RE COMFORTABLE AND I'M TRYING TO RELAX.)

I do pay attention to people's usernames, but I am ashamed to admit I sometimes get people with similar usernames confused. Like Avnger and Agema. Sorry, you two. Whichever one is reading this. (I won't be able to tell you apart.)

There are a couple of people on here who's avatar have made me imagine them as the kind of people who wear suits as everyday clothing, but then I remember they are regulars on a gaming website.

Also you're Australian! And honestly the Australian accent has never sounded fancy to me, so realizing you well, probably 'sound Australian' amuses me.

I also sometimes mix up those two as well.

And also there are a collection of users who never set up any avatar who I mix up a lot.

bastardofmelbourne:
I specifically chose a picture of a dapper gentleman wearing three hats so as to deceive innocent Escapists into believing that was how I dress in real life. (In real life, I am wearing tracksuit pants. THEY'RE COMFORTABLE AND I'M TRYING TO RELAX.)

A-Ha-Ha! You are as PRESUMPTIOUS as you are POOR and IRISH! Tarnish notte the majesty of the TOWER of HATS.

Disclaimer: recipient of bon mot may or may not be Irish.

Baffle2:
snip

Wow! I donn't remember Monsters Inc being so realistic!

Wait a second...

CaitSeith:

Baffle2:
snip

Wow! I donn't remember Monsters Inc being so realistic!

Wait a second...

Yeah, he got me too.

Saelune:

Also you're Australian! And honestly the Australian accent has never sounded fancy to me, so realizing you well, probably 'sound Australian' amuses me.

Not Australian, Victorian. Australia begins and ends with NSW. Victorians are marginally acceptable, however.

ObsidianJones:

War High School. High School never changes ends.

ObsidianJones:

Yeah, I think we had someone called JoJoDeathunter or something like that. Don't know who this new guy is. Some sort of poser.

Drathnoxis:

ObsidianJones:

Yeah, I think we had someone called JoJoDeathunter or something like that. Don't know who this new guy is. Some sort of poser.

Pffh, screw that guy. He's been trying to kill me for eight years now, and still hasn't managed it.

JoJo:

Drathnoxis:

ObsidianJones:

Pffh, screw that guy. He's been trying to kill me for eight years now, and still hasn't managed it.

Well, there's only one thing to say to that.

I guess it comes down to personal preference some people are good at remembering faces then names and vice versa. So i am assuming the same principle might be in play and would be interesting if could truly find out with a poll.

As for my avatar I have really never changed it simply because the escapist is the only forum which has given me grief uploading.

RobertEHouse:
As for my avatar I have really never changed it simply because the escapist is the only forum which has given me grief uploading.

Your Avatar and username are themed though, like Canadamus_Prime. It would be wrong for either of you to change that.

Wintermute:
Mostly usernames. I have terrible memory but for some reason remembering names is one of my "talents".

I miss your other avatar.

Early in my time here I relied on avatars.
As time passed, I found myself recognizing usernames as well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here