Embedded Videos not showing?

This is a test thread and a question thread. In my Troy thread, can anyone see a video embedded in my OP post?

Also I am gonna try to embedded one here to see if you guys can see it or not, and if I can see it now if I make a new one.

Do you see this video above this sentence, and I will edit a new post if I don't see it?

EDIT: I don't see the embedded video. But is this a problem on my end only, or no one else can see it?

Samtemdo8:

No, not showing up for me either.

Actually, if you'd just posted a big blank space, you could make people think there was a video there that wasn't showing, in a very weak trolling.

Thaluikhain:

Samtemdo8:

No, not showing up for me either.

Actually, if you'd just posted a big blank space, you could make people think there was a video there that wasn't showing, in a very weak trolling.

Try embeddeding a video yourself then?

Also doesn't want to show up.

Archived Forum borked the embedding system then :P

Makes me wonder if this is a sign that the new forum will be up soon?

Samtemdo8:

This isn't a sign of that specifically.

The code to embed the video is still there, but it seems to be blocked by your browser because of security reasons;

The website of the escapist recently got itself a nice SSL certificate and is serving pages over HTTPS, however, the forum code that embeds videos uses HTTP links ( http://www.youtube.com/embed/D56CckqlsB4?autoplay=0 , in your case ).

And because willy-nilly including HTTP content on a site that is being loaded over HTTPS is deemed a security risk, the browser blocks this request.

Solution; the person who apparently has access to the Escapist's source should do a quick search for "http://www.youtube.com/embed/" and change http to https.

Thaluikhain:

Pretty sure you couldn't do that, because the forum parser would remove all the white space.

Broken on my end too :c

It's been reported to the Tech Team.

Samtemdo8:
EDIT: I don't see the embedded video. But is this a problem on my end only, or no one else can see it?

Until the Tech Team figures it out, I added a quick fix for it to the Escapist Plus add-on, if you happen to be using Chrome or Firefox and have a desperate need to see embedded YouTube videos right now.

So, three weeks later what is the status of this particular problem?

Has the Tech Team shelved it because the forum will be transitioning to new software anyway, does the Tech Team consist of a bunch of bears that are in hibernation? 🙃

bluegate:

Samtemdo8:

This isn't a sign of that specifically.

The code to embed the video is still there, but it seems to be blocked by your browser because of security reasons;

The website of the escapist recently got itself a nice SSL certificate and is serving pages over HTTPS, however, the forum code that embeds videos uses HTTP links ( http://www.youtube.com/embed/D56CckqlsB4?autoplay=0 , in your case ).

And because willy-nilly including HTTP content on a site that is being loaded over HTTPS is deemed a security risk, the browser blocks this request.

Solution; the person who apparently has access to the Escapist's source should do a quick search for "http://www.youtube.com/embed/" and change http to https.

What's ironic about that is this site itself is still identified as being "unsecure", at least by Firefox.

hanselthecaretaker:
What's ironic about that is this site itself is still identified as being "unsecure", at least by Firefox.

I'm taking a guess and assume that you're talking about this old "v1" version of the website, in that case, the site is still being flagged as insecure because although the pages are loaded over HTTPS, there is still content inside it that is loaded over HTTP.

For example, the avatars of people in your friend list that show up when you hover the mouse over your "avatar" at the top of the page.

Also, the Arcade Stick image and the Shopping Cart image in the top navigation.

And here is me including the images in a post, further flagging this page as "insecure" 😜

Then in forum threads like this, the avatars are also loaded through a HTTP link.

bluegate:

Has the Tech Team shelved it because the forum will be transitioning to new software anyway, does the Tech Team consist of a bunch of bears that are in hibernation? 🙃

Wow. How do you fit through doors with all that sass?

There are a few things happening here:

1. Enthusiast HQ is still building out its tech team.
2. Escapist tech was way more broken than anyone initially assumed, so it's taken a while to prioritize specific fixes.
3. There are A LOT of fixes that need to happen.
4. We're still scoping out how New Forums are going to look, so limited tech time isn't being spent here until we know what's staying and what will be left behind.
5. We'll be circulating a thread shortly for you all to chime in on what forum features you love and what features you could live without.

Stay tuned.

Samtemdo8:

No, pretty sure it was doing this before the v2 stuff launched.

Russ Pitts:

bluegate:

2. Escapist tech was way more broken than anyone initially assumed, so it's taken a while to prioritize specific fixes.
4. We're still scoping out how New Forums are going to look, so limited tech time isn't being spent here until we know what's staying and what will be left behind.
5. We'll be circulating a thread shortly for you all to chime in on what forum features you love and what features you could live without.
Stay tuned.

Bluegate was the one trying to keep to keep the website functioning after the tech team left on his own time. Well, until Epyc. The site took a downspiral since then til you picked it up. I wouldn't be suprised if they have more invested in this place than any other user.

Russ Pitts:

bluegate:

Stay tuned.

I must admit, getting through doors is a bit of a pain in the ass. In my own home I've had those wide doors installed that are designed to accommodate people in wheelchairs, but in most public places it's a royal pain, aside from hospitals and retirement homes, obviously.

Above joke aside, no sass was intended actually, it was just a question about the situation. The line about hibernating bears was a joke keeping in spirit with the Escapist's thread display hamsters occasionally tripping out of their little wheels; if the threads are displayed through hamsters, why not have bears working the tech positions? 🙃

In any case, thanks for the straightforward answer!😊

bluegate:

Russ Pitts:

bluegate:

Stay tuned.

I must admit, getting through doors is a bit of a pain in the ass. In my own home I've had those wide doors installed that are designed to accommodate people in wheelchairs, but in most public places it's a royal pain, aside from hospitals and retirement homes, obviously.

Above joke aside, no sass was intended actually, it was just a question about the situation. The line about hibernating bears was a joke keeping in spirit with the Escapist's thread display hamsters occasionally tripping out of their little wheels; if the threads are displayed through hamsters, why not have bears working the tech positions? 🙃

In any case, thanks for the straightforward answer!😊

So you have so much sass, you have to wheel it around. Got it. :)

I'm familiar with your contributions. Thanks for caring.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here