What Fantasy Stories would Work as a Live Action or Animated Adaptation?

Pages PREV 1 2

Hawki:

trunkage:
I heard Wheel of Time is being made too.
That makes me happy.

Personal thoughts on WoT aside, I'm kind of left asking:

-Is it really a good idea for Amazon to produce both the Lord of the Rings and Wheel of Time series when they're so similar (yes, WoT does start to establish its own identity after its first book, but still, similarities remain)?

-Considering that Moiraine has been listed as the main protagonist for season 1, are we going to go through the whole "feminist agenda!" outcry, along with the whole "finally, a strong female character in fantasy!" from the other extreme? Because already I'm seeing elements of that. :(

-This is a series of 13 books. Even if you cut out/compress some of them...well, good luck with that.

1. Yeah, book 1 is more LotR but ends up like political sections of ASOIAF. So it could be bad in that way, too.
2. It depends if they focus on the arrogance of Aes Sedai etc, like the books. Generally, it was a bunch of arrogant pricks via for power, irrelevant of gender.
3. I don't even know how you could compress, it's such a sprawling story covering most countries, including another continent. And there is a lot of bloat during 9 and 10. A lot of it coming down to jumping to too many events across too much space. But my favourite part of the whole series, Egwene's 'torture' is in there and you need to let that breath to provide appropriate context. Even if you cut the number of main characters down, there would still be too much

Agent_Z:
The majority of the MCU films and t.v. shows are about characters almost nobody knew about or was interested in. You also have the Witcher games that are based on novels few people know of and is now getting a Netflix series. Castlevania also got a Netflix show.

Maybe by the time they got to Ant-Man and Dr. Strange, but remember they launched with Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America. Outside of the major X-Men and Spiderman those were fairly big names in Marvel, they even had prior adaptations that built recognition with widely varying degrees of success. And when they got to Thor and then the lesser known ones and the tv shows... by then they were MCU. Instant recognition through association, not out of nowhere anymore.

I brought up The Witcher. I wish it success, but I'm saying because it isn't well known outside of gaming circles it will fail after a season or 2. I hope I'm wrong... but between not being particularly well known and some fanboys inevetabley crying about "it isn't witchery enough" or whatever, I'm betting I'm right. Castlevania may fare better being animated, and seeing how it lent its name to an entire genre of videogame it may have audience enough to carry it. I hope so, I'm enjoying it.

Kyrian007:

Agent_Z:
The majority of the MCU films and t.v. shows are about characters almost nobody knew about or was interested in. You also have the Witcher games that are based on novels few people know of and is now getting a Netflix series. Castlevania also got a Netflix show.

Maybe by the time they got to Ant-Man and Dr. Strange, but remember they launched with Hulk, Iron Man, and Captain America. Outside of the major X-Men and Spiderman those were fairly big names in Marvel, they even had prior adaptations that built recognition with widely varying degrees of success. And when they got to Thor and then the lesser known ones and the tv shows... by then they were MCU. Instant recognition through association, not out of nowhere anymore.

I brought up The Witcher. I wish it success, but I'm saying because it isn't well known outside of gaming circles it will fail after a season or 2. I hope I'm wrong... but between not being particularly well known and some fanboys inevetabley crying about "it isn't witchery enough" or whatever, I'm betting I'm right. Castlevania may fare better being animated, and seeing how it lent its name to an entire genre of videogame it may have audience enough to carry it. I hope so, I'm enjoying it.

Of those four, only the Incredible Hulk was really well known. None of the adaptations of Iron Man and Captain America were big hits and made them the pop culture juggernauts Spider-Man and the X-Men were. Hell, a lot of people expected the Iron Man and Captain America movies to fail (and the first Cap movie underperformed). Let's also not forget the first successful Marvel comic movie was about Blade, a character who had even less recognition than Iron Man and Captain America.

Online fanboys bitching about something is no indicator of whether or not it will be a success. These guys have been wrong too many times to count.

Agent_Z:

Kyrian007:

Agent_Z:

Of those four, only the Incredible Hulk was really well known. None of the adaptations of Iron Man and Captain America were big hits and made them the pop culture juggernauts Spider-Man and the X-Men were. Hell, a lot of people expected the Iron Man and Captain America movies to fail (and the first Cap movie underperformed). Let's also not forget the first successful Marvel comic movie was about Blade, a character who had even less recognition than Iron Man and Captain America.

Online fanboys bitching about something is no indicator of whether or not it will be a success. These guys have been wrong too many times to count.

Just going by hulk alone. He had a decent cartoon in the 90's, a few others earlier, and well beleoved TV series. The guy who did the MCU Hulk movie mostly got into it for his love of the show (which the opening and some of the song choicses, and featuring Lu Ferigno as an extra and the voice of hulk were be omages to it). That said he also looked to other places such as Hulk: Ultimate Destruction (turnign a car into a pair of punching bags) and buyign a stack of comics to get in touch with it more.

Iron man also had a good cartoon when I was growing up in the same time frame, as did Fantastic Four, and the X men. They also had several video games come out at that time as well, including the Marvel vs Capcop series.

The rest no one knew anything about. Guardians of the Galexy was so far out of left feild, this was literaly the first introduction of these charecters for most Marvel Fans.

And yes, I understand Stugeons law, post from the last page, but give me some variety out there. It can't be Dirty Dances with Dragons and Thore out there.

saint of m:

2. Rat Queens: Its funny. Its almost like a Dungeouns and Dragons session with Seth Rogan as the DM and take four funniest women in the industry as the party members consisting of a hipster dwarven warrior, a sassy wizzard/sorceress, a aithiest cleric of a Cthule esk worshiping family (who still has powers, part of the joke), and a hyperactive halfling rouge that is largly on a diet of candy and drugs. They drink hard, swear hard, party hard, and fight hard. Seriously, the first few chapters are about them and the other guilds going on quests in penitence for taking a drunken brawl into the streets and acting like Raider Fans/Soccer hooligans. If they do this, they need to have Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphies in the background of that alone.

10. A Legend of Zelda Live Action Movie or TV show, or an animated movie or show: Nuff Said.

Rat Queens might work if they do it right though since it's essentially been rebooted I'm curious how they'd factor that in.

Legend of Zelda. I kinda sorta rememeber the animated adaptations from the 1990's(1980's) and yeah, I'm not holding my breath for this. I'm not even sure how they'd make it actually work.

I was hoping for a Dark Tower adaptation at one point but Hollywood apparently can't even handle that without screwing it up.

Dalisclock:

Legend of Zelda. I kinda sorta rememeber the animated adaptations from the 1990's(1980's) and yeah, I'm not holding my breath for this. I'm not even sure how they'd make it actually work.

Said it above, I'll say it here - if you're making a LoZ movie, DON'T adapt it from the games. Reason being is that the structure of the games isn't condusive towards a traditional three act structure. You might be able to get it to work as a cartoon series, but I'm kind of left asking what the point would be. Figure if there's going to be a LoZ movie, make it its own thing that can exist in the timeline(s) - allows it to keep in canon (making fans happy), which also allows it to have a traditional movie structure (which makes filmgoers happy). Everyone wins.

In theory.

Hawki:

Dalisclock:

Said it above, I'll say it here - if you're making a LoZ movie, DON'T adapt it from the games. Reason being is that the structure of the games isn't condusive towards a traditional three act structure. You might be able to get it to work as a cartoon series, but I'm kind of left asking what the point would be. Figure if there's going to be a LoZ movie, make it its own thing that can exist in the timeline(s) - allows it to keep in canon (making fans happy), which also allows it to have a traditional movie structure (which makes filmgoers happy). Everyone wins.

In theory.

Link gets told its dangerous to go out alone, take the magic sword. Go through a few caves and dungeons, fight pig gannon, get the princess or start off with the princess leading a war against Gannon adn gets both defeated and captured. Link, say the son of one of her best warriors, hears that his father has been killed and the princess has been captured. THe old man he was studying under gives him the sword and he goes out to and ends up rescuring the girl and finding the triforce. All three take a part of it, with Gannon being defeated. All three then are linked and all sequals can take whatever style they want.

That or they could adapt it from one of the mangas.

trunkage:
I heard Wheel of Time is being made too.
That makes me happy.

I hope whoever does that basically rips it to shreds and remakes it.

The Wheel of Time is just about the worst example of flabby, overwritten (under-edited?) fantasy epics imaginable. Although I fear Brandon Sanderson's Stormlight Archive is trying to outdo it. Book after book after book rolls on with basically nothing happening. I think I read the first and second okay, got steadily more bored 3-5, and only read 6 because I'd run out of anything else to read and my flatmate had it. Think of everything the Lord of the Rings got done in 3 books and ~300 pages each, and weep at the idea WoT is 13 or so books, each at around twice the length. It's not particularly original, and the characters mostly appear to be a set of ever-recycled traits that rapidly collapse into repetitive cliche. One book I think I recall opens with this huge amount of time portaying the view from a tower. Or some scene where some people are meeting in a field, and Jordan seems to think what matters is a minute description of what everyone looks like and the way the wind ruffles the grass, as if the task is describing a photograph rather than telling a story. Who. The. Fuck. Cares. Nor is it fun trying to oversee an increasingly vast cast of under-drawn characters, who are increasingly granted their own POV sections - it's just tedious and overcomplicated.

In a way, I can see an attraction - Jordan clearly invested a lot of time realising his world and had a lot of passion to get that across to the reader. To people who love the idea of a heavily realised world where everything is explained in minute detail (because some fans have a desire to understand and categorise everything a fictional world rather than let their imagination fill the gaps) it's probably great. As a piece of storytelling, it's a bust - plain and simple. I can very much see why he handed over to Sanderson - Sanderson has many of the same instincts. He wants to tell you about the world he's designed, and the nifty magic systems he's designed and tried to make rational that the heroes have to puzzle out to saev the world... and somewhere along the way the story and its characters all dwindle into the background.

GoT was great as an adaptation for tossing a load of the tropes on the bonfire, and giving us a perhaps realistic-ish style approach to medieval power and interesting characters. WoT and most fantasy, however, are really just handing us much more simplistic narratives and characters which I suspect won't get much traction outside the fantasy community. They can just watch basic soaps, police dramas etc. for much the same character and plot value without engaging in the fantasy nonsense tht many of them actually like less than realism.

Well, someone beat me to Animorphs, but everything previously said fits, it's a great series that could look really deep into the psychology of a fighters mindset, considering the group shows everything from someone who gets a little too into fighting, to the person who thinks they should forget it all, the leader's burden of responsibility and their slow numbing and breaking under the pressure, and that animal rights tree hugger girl getting to learn pacifism doesn't really work, and nature is freaking brutal.

For another series I suggest the Temeriare books. Make it an animated show, and they can use the whole series to explore racism, especially as something learned but never really "confronted" until it's right there, respecting other cultures, and that there are more fronts in a war than the good guys and bad guys. It would have to branch out from the books some, but who doesn't want to see Napoleon led France riding dragons against British dragonriders?

Adapting The Black Company would perfectly fit the conversation in this thread about studios finding less popular IPs to chase success. Glen Cook was writing "dark" and "realistic" fantasy in the 80s way before RR Martin's first GoT book. The Black Company is about a band of mercenaries caught up in the machinations of powers bigger than themselves. Fantasy from the soldiers' perspective. I highly recommend the books and seeing an adaption would be pretty neat.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here