Let's try to determine if Harry Potter was actually ever any good.

Pages PREV 1 2

PsychedelicDiamond:

Yes, I have seen OG Dragonball. Not in a long time, to be honest, but I have seen it and I remember some of it quite fondly, unlike Dragonball Z, which I think is really awful. Now, Dragon Ball established rather early that Goku was from an alien race that's physically superior to humans and that, when pitted against normal human enemies, Goku would probably wipe the floor with them, even before he trained with Muten Roshi. That was, of course, before Dragonball Z came along and turned a lighthearted story about a goofy kid travelling the world to recover magical wishgranting balls into endless, repetetive wankery about which alien superhero can wipe out more planets with their farts.

I wouldn't call the start of Dragon Ball Z 'early', because that was the first mention of Goku being an alien. Before that he was just a monkey boy in a world full of animal people.

Goku was stronger than most people because he loved challenging himself and always pushed to try his best to become stronger. There was some natural talent that played a part in it, but the biggest influence in his growth was that whenever he was faced with a new opponent or challenge he would dive into it with enthusiasm. And he was a martial artist. Martial artist trumps anything else in the world of Dragon Ball.

Drathnoxis:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Yes, I have seen OG Dragonball. Not in a long time, to be honest, but I have seen it and I remember some of it quite fondly, unlike Dragonball Z, which I think is really awful. Now, Dragon Ball established rather early that Goku was from an alien race that's physically superior to humans and that, when pitted against normal human enemies, Goku would probably wipe the floor with them, even before he trained with Muten Roshi. That was, of course, before Dragonball Z came along and turned a lighthearted story about a goofy kid travelling the world to recover magical wishgranting balls into endless, repetetive wankery about which alien superhero can wipe out more planets with their farts.

I wouldn't call the start of Dragon Ball Z 'early', because that was the first mention of Goku being an alien. Before that he was just a monkey boy in a world full of animal people.

Funny how he retconned his own memories of Dragon Ball to include a piece of information only added to the mythos in Dragon Ball Z, which apparently is really awful.

bluegate:

Drathnoxis:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Funny how he retconned his own memories of Dragon Ball to include a piece of information only added to the mythos in Dragon Ball Z, which apparently is really awful.

Gimme a break, it was a really long time ago that I saw either. I could have sworn Goku having been found in a space capsule was at some point mentioned in original Dragon Ball.

Pseudonym:

On this specifically. Have you seen dragon ball? If so, do you remember that time when Goku defeated the red ribbon army. All of them. In pretty much one fell swoop. Well, I took it that something like that was going on.

I remember DB. It wasn't uncommon that Goku faced an enemy that out-skilled him, then trained hard after the defeat (or searched for some McGuffin that made him stronger) and defeated his enemy in the rematch.

bluegate:

Drathnoxis:

To be fair, DBZ is pretty awful for the most part.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Gimme a break, it was a really long time ago that I saw either. I could have sworn Goku having been found in a space capsule was at some point mentioned in original Dragon Ball.

In Dragon Ball he was just found and adopted by Grandpa Gohan, it was retconned in the second episode of DBZ, and the corresponding manga chapter, to be in a spacepod.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here