Pacific Rim Anime Coming To Netflix

Returning to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jeagers, this original anime series will expand upon the story of the first two live action movies and follow two siblings - an idealistic teenage boy and his na?ve younger sister - who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents. Co-showrunners: Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution). Production Company: Legendary Entertainment (Kong: Skull Island; Pokemon: Detective Pikachu).

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/pacific-rim-altered-carbon-anime-projects-netflixs-new-slate-asian-originals-1159238

A bit of a surprise but I do like some of the works the people behind have done.

So, the live-action movie that was a love letter to giant robot anime gets an anime itself. Guess that's now full circle.

Don't know anything about Altered Carbon, but it's got Dai Sato as screenwriter. He's written for quite a few anime I like, among others Cowboy Bebop, GitS Stand Alone Complex and Samurai Champloo. That's kind of interesting.

I wonder if the robots and monsters are going to be cgi

undeadsuitor:
I wonder if the robots and monsters are going to be

cgi

Most likely. I don't mind to CGI unless it's done really poorly and obvious. I highly doubt it but I do wish the mechs were hand-drawn. and of anyting the series will definitely be better than the second movie. I didn't think it was bad it was just painfully average and a bit underwhelming. The studio was sequel baiting which didn't help matters either. I really wish people would stop trying copy Marvel on everything.

As long as they don't make the mistake the second movie did, ie become an Anime, they'll be fine. We don't need another high school anime of young boys with squeaky voices being giant Gundam pilot prodigies racing to stop the MegaArachnid, but its on PROM NIGHT! OH the drama!

This sounds completely unappealing to me. It's like if you took a burger and based a pizza out of it's ingredients and then took the pizza and made a burger out of it's ingredients. The resulting burger won't be the same as the one that you started with but I think it will be a similar-and-inferior variant. It's always gonna be better to just not go through the process and just eat the original burger.

Pacific rim is a movie that's a lot like an anime while still being fundamentally a live action movie which makes it interesting so making an anime out of it doesn't really add anything and is kinda weird. It feels like they're just trying to milk the franchise's popularity.

Don't have high hopes.

Something that PR had that many mech medias don't is that it conveyed the actual weight of the Jaegers - the slow fighting reflected this. Far as I can tell, Uprising threw this out the window. And anime being what it is, I bet they'll go in an even more OTT direction.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here