I just watched Ghost in the Shell 2017

Pages PREV 1 2

ObsidianJones:

JUMBO PALACE:

Casual Shinji:
It's just one of those movies where it's clear from the outset that it's going to pale in comparison to the original, so why the hell even bother. It's like remaking Ben-Hur, or The Shinning, or Robocop.

Isn't it sad that two of these have already happened? I'm sure they'll get around to The Shining at some point.

Not sure if Sarcasm, but The Shining was the one who was remade the first.

Starting the Irresponsible Brother from 'Wings'.

I had no idea that Shining existed. There is probably a reason why

trunkage:
And what was exactly wrong?

According to a lot of critics, the skin color of the lead actress.

I refused to see it due to how boring, average, run-of-the-mill it looked. Not mention, it was just taking bits and pieces from different parts of the franchise without understanding why they worked. The only robot girl movie I look forward to seeing is Battle Angel Alita. And that's next year unfortunately, but two months down the line. If the Japanese like movie, more power to them, but Scarlett can barely hold a lead role, and I find her uninteresting as an actress. See the movie Lucy to know what I am talking about.

twistedmic:

Let's flip the scenario around for a bit, should we expect the Japanese film industry to cast an America/European actor in a movie that calls for a non-Japanese role? Should we get mad if they rarely, if ever, cast American/European actors in lead roles?
Should we expect the British/French/Chinese/etc. film industries to cast non-(insert country here) actors for the sole purpose of having that particular nationality on screen?

It's not quite the same thing for two reasons. The first is that there are PLENTY of movies with white actors in lead roles. Yes, these are Hollywood movies and other countries have their own film industries, but that leads into point two, Hollywood movies dominate the film landscape around the world. Remember when there was that controversy with Matt Damon being the headliner of a Chinese movie? That was because Chinese filmmakers felt like to have a real, Hollywood-style blockbuster movie you needed a white actor in the lead role. Which is all to say that white people have enough representation in the media already, even in Asia.

Gatx:

That was because Chinese filmmakers felt like to have a real, Hollywood-style blockbuster movie you needed a white actor in the lead role. Which is all to say that white people have enough representation in the media already, even in Asia.

First of all, did you watch the movie? Damon was not the lead character, the Chinese actress Tian Jing was the lead character. Damon was at best a secondary character.
Secondly, after watching the Chinese trailers I barely saw a glimpse of Matt Damon. The Chinese trailers mainly featured the Chinese characters and their combat units.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here