Dardevil is also cancelled

http://collider.com/daredevil-cancelled-season-4/amp/

JJ is already far in production and Punisher has just finished filming. But they're probably on the chopping block too. Quite possibly the last Netflix Marvel shows

Well that's unfortunate. I thought they'd get another season out of DareDevil.

Jessica Jones season 2 was an abomination and it deserves to be cancelled. I'd say it was far worse than Iron Fist season 1, and that's really saying something.

That's a shame. Daredevil is IMO the overall best of the Netflix MCU shows with more than one season. Solid first season, the first half of season 2 was great, and season 3 was pretty decent too.

Funny to think that Agents of SHIELD, that other MCU show people barely ever talk about, may end up outliving all of Netflix' output.

This saddens me greatly. I loved Daredevil. Hopefully we'll see a movie or something that wraps up the whole plot.

Chimpzy:
That's a shame. Daredevil is IMO the overall best of the Netflix MCU shows with more than one season. Solid first season, the first half of season 2 was great, and season 3 was pretty decent too.

Funny to think that Agents of SHIELD, that other MCU show people barely ever talk about, may end up outliving all of Netflix' output.

Unfortunately, Netflix doesn't release how popular shows are on Netflix. For all we know, the could have been running at massive losses.

Seems like disney are trying to get back every property they own to put on the streaming service they're building.

Chimpzy:

I suspect it's more because it's Netflix/streaming, whereas Agents of Shield is a normal, syndicated/cable show. Out of curiosity, was Agent's of Shield in "continuity" with the Defenders shows?

I only watched a bit of these shows and didn't much care for them, but that aside, I don't think the issue is one of quality or success. It's strictly down to Disney wanting to have their own streaming service with their biggest brand content (ie. Marvel, Star Wars) exclusively on it to sell subs. Having their stuff on Netflix sells Netflix subscriptions, hence the parting of ways.

KingsGambit:

Chimpzy:

I suspect it's more because it's Netflix/streaming, whereas Agents of Shield is a normal, syndicated/cable show. Out of curiosity, was Agent's of Shield in "continuity" with the Defenders shows?

Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that all MCU tv shows ostensibly take place in the same universe as the movies. No, in that there are no in-show ties between Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows. I haven't watched all of either side, but I don't remember any character cameos between them or plot points from one affecting the other.

The Netflix shows barely feel like they're part of the MCU anyway, aside from one Stan Lee cameo, a few shots of Stark Tower in the New York skyline, and very sporadic mentions of major events from the Cap America and Avengers movies in early seasons. Nothing that happens in the Netflix shows affects the rest of the MCU in any way, and vice versa is basically also true. I can get why since the Defenders are street level superheroes, so the focus is on street level events, whereas the movies (save maybe Spidey) all operate on a far bigger scale (both in-universe and out).

Agents of SHIELD ties into the movies a lot more. Agents Phil Coulson is a main character. Cameos from Nick Fury, Agent Hill and Lady Sif. Frequent references to movie events and a lot of the early seasons dealt with the aftermath of Winter Soldier, Avengers and Age of Ultron. It also holds the distinction of being the only show to have an effect on the movies, if a minor one. The Avengers' attack on Hydra in the opening of Age Of Ultron? Direct result of intel obtained in the show.

Dirty Hipsters:
Well that's unfortunate. I thought they'd get another season out of DareDevil.

Jessica Jones season 2 was an abomination and it deserves to be cancelled. I'd say it was far worse than Iron Fist season 1, and that's really saying something.

I'm not convinced they are being cancelled due to quality issues.

It seems off to me that they are all going at the same time. Playing the odds, you'd expect at least one to survive. It looks to me more like Netflix and Marvel parting ways. This might be heavily connected to Disney opening a new streaming service. Either Netflix does not want to sell Disney IP as originals (and thus potentially via Marvel crossover encourage viewers to Disney) or Disney is pulling them to claim total control of the Marvel stable.

This is Grade A bullshit. Fucking Captain Planet, one of the most embarrassing parts of my childhood, gets a feature film while the best show about an actually GOOD hero gets the ax. NOBODY ASKED FOR THIS!!!

DarthCoercis:
Seems like disney are trying to get back every property they own to put on the streaming service they're building.

This is more and more seeming like the case. For Disney it makes sense to not let strong Marvel shows continue on other platforms, especially if they have their own plans on making a Disney Streaming Marvel Universe.

EDIT: Sorry the site is being weird again. This was supposed to be posted in the Hair style thread. Posts are all over the place for some reason...

Standard *oh my god who cares* Peter Griffin reaction. Doesn't Marvel have like ten shows running already?

Johnny Novgorod:
Standard *oh my god who cares* Peter Griffin reaction. Doesn't Marvel have like ten shows running already?

Yes, but unlike most of them, Daredevil is actually and consistently really good. It's more a dark crime drama and less "another superhero show." It's got excellent acting and writing and is one of few Marvel affairs that can be enjoyed by non-Marvel fans (i.e.: my girlfriend hates most hero movies/shows, but she loves Daredevil.) It's not strictly about Daredevil and doesn't serve purely as a vehicle to display his powers like most superhero fodder tends to be; hell, half the time, he's not even in his costume.

Johnny Novgorod:

If you don't care then why are you even on this thread

Chimpzy:

KingsGambit:

Chimpzy:

Yes and no.

Yes, in the sense that all MCU tv shows ostensibly take place in the same universe as the movies. No, in that there are no in-show ties between Agents of SHIELD and the Netflix shows. I haven't watched all of either side, but I don't remember any character cameos between them or plot points from one affecting the other.

The Netflix shows barely feel like they're part of the MCU anyway, aside from one Stan Lee cameo, a few shots of Stark Tower in the New York skyline, and very sporadic mentions of major events from the Cap America and Avengers movies in early seasons. Nothing that happens in the Netflix shows affects the rest of the MCU in any way, and vice versa is basically also true. I can get why since the Defenders are street level superheroes, so the focus is on street level events, whereas the movies (save maybe Spidey) all operate on a far bigger scale (both in-universe and out).

Agents of SHIELD ties into the movies a lot more. Agents Phil Coulson is a main character. Cameos from Nick Fury, Agent Hill and Lady Sif. Frequent references to movie events and a lot of the early seasons dealt with the aftermath of Winter Soldier, Avengers and Age of Ultron. It also holds the distinction of being the only show to have an effect on the movies, if a minor one. The Avengers' attack on Hydra in the opening of Age Of Ultron? Direct result of intel obtained in the show.

its quite clear that no one from Agents of Shield talked to the Russo brothers for the last season. Infinity War was released on the same day as the finale, I think. (I only watched AoS a month ago, I was trying to trace the timing. They specifically reference the Battle of Wakanda. But there is nothing about snappenings)

That's not surprising. Fiege and Loeb absolutely hate each other and now keep the film and TV arms pretty separate. I do wonder if its a power play by Fiege as Loeb's range of shows has increased over the last couple of year with Legion, Runaways and The Gifted

Chimpzy:

KingsGambit:

Chimpzy:

Yes and no.

There's no big crossovers, but there's a couple of little details that I noticed from Daredevil S1; Matt's dad fought in a boxing match against Carl "Crusher" Creel who first appeared in person in Agents where it is mentioned he used to be a boxer (he used his Absorbing Man powers to make his fists steel beneath the gloves). And both Matt and Daisy/Skye went to the same orphanage while they were growing up.

But on the downside this means that we won't get Agent's version of Ghost Rider popping up in the Netflix shows, which is disappointing

PapaGreg096:

Johnny Novgorod:

You need to make sure that everyone knows you don't care. Its the polite thing to do

PapaGreg096:

Johnny Novgorod:

Lunch took forever to microwave.

Chimpzy:

That's very interesting. It definitely seems like there's a clear distinction with the Netflix shows and Agents (as well as the short lived Peggy Carter spin off).

Based on these articles, Disney are already planning shows for Disney +, including a Rogue One prequel (a prequel prequel?), The Mandalorian and spin-off shows for Loki, Scarlett Witch, Winter Soldier and Falcon.

The Mouse House are clearly trying to just get back creative control over all their properties and will likely be relaunching a new set of shows with these Netflix lot being a learning exercise. I don't think they could get away with keeping the same cast so it would likely be a reboot.

It does raise interesting questions tho, since these shows were interlinked the way they were. What happens when *one* of the shows gets cancelled, but not the others? The MCU itself will have similar issues soon enough when the actors from phase 1 (cap, iron man, thor) will be moving on. The universe they inhabited still exists but those characters aren't in it anymore. Without Iron Fist and Luke Cage, could DD, JJ and Punisher have continued, after they linked them all together?

The CW network had that with the "Arrowverse" shows. Arrow and Flash were both on the same network, so existed in the same universe. Supergirl wasn't however, so they weren't linked despite all being DC heroes. I think Supergirl eventually got picked up by the same network, but because it's technically in a different universe, she has to use a dimension portal to meet the Flash. Legends of Tomorrow I think is also in-universe with them. Shame they're all so bad...I watched some of them at first but they're so amateurish and badly written I had to stop.

DarthCoercis:

Alternatively, Netflix has been killing shows from external production houses and is focusing on in-house productions. Which is probably why Millarworld has four series and a couple movies coming, or something to that effect.

KingsGambit:

The CW network had that with the "Arrowverse" shows. Arrow and Flash were both on the same network, so existed in the same universe. Supergirl wasn't however, so they weren't linked despite all being DC heroes.

Supergirl met Flash in "World's Finest," a season one episode that happened before CW picked up the show. It was on CBS at the time.

Bet he didn't see that one coming.

Grouchy Imp:
Bet he didn't see that one coming.

Insert Zoidberg Boo video here.

Something Amyss:
Supergirl met Flash in "World's Finest," a season one episode that happened before CW picked up the show. It was on CBS at the time.

But, the CW is an offshoot of CBS, so it's still the same sandbox.

Constantine didn't appear in the Arrowverse until after his NBC show was canceled.

I am hating Netflix and Disney right now. Well, they better release the rest of those box sets soon.

Well, crap. I didn't love everything about season 3, but it was still strong, and one hell of an improvement on season 2.

I suspect the author is correct that this has more to do with closed-door Disney shenanigans than the success or failure of the show itself.

I suspect we haven't hit it yet, but someone in an office somewhere needs to recognize that there actually is an upper limit on the number of $10/month services the typical consumer is willing to float. We aren't deconstructing cable TV just to rebuild a model just as obnoxious.

madwarper:

Something Amyss:

But, the CW is an offshoot of CBS, so it's still the same sandbox.

Constantine didn't appear in the Arrowverse until after his NBC show was canceled.

Still doesn't make KngsGambit correct, which is what I addressed.

Callate:
I suspect we haven't hit it yet, but someone in an office somewhere needs to recognize that there actually is an upper limit on the number of $10/month services the typical consumer is willing to float. We aren't deconstructing cable TV just to rebuild a model just as obnoxious.

Disney's probably safe, though. They have such a catalogue of kid-friendly material parents will buy it, and if hey're the home for superhero shows and Star Wars I'm betting nerds will buy it, too. I mean, I won't buy it, or if I do, it'll mean axing Netflix. There really is only so much I'm willing to pay and have time to actually watch.

KingsGambit:
It does raise interesting questions tho, since these shows were interlinked the way they were. What happens when *one* of the shows gets cancelled, but not the others? The MCU itself will have similar issues soon enough when the actors from phase 1 (cap, iron man, thor) will be moving on. The universe they inhabited still exists but those characters aren't in it anymore. Without Iron Fist and Luke Cage, could DD, JJ and Punisher have continued, after they linked them all together?

I believe we saw hints at how they would do this with Don Cheadle's replacing of Terrence Howard (small nod to change up but otherwise just keep trucking) and Mark Ruffalo's replacement of Edward Norton and kind of by extension, Norton's replacement of Eric Bana. Norton's movie kind of leaves off where Bana's does and doesn't even bother retelling the origin, and they just pretend like Ruffalo was Hulk the entire time.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is precedent for them just replace actors and reboot characters, and then hoping everything transitions smoothly.

Gatx:
I believe we saw hints at how they would do this with Don Cheadle's replacing of Terrence Howard (small nod to change up but otherwise just keep trucking) and Mark Ruffalo's replacement of Edward Norton and kind of by extension, Norton's replacement of Eric Bana. Norton's movie kind of leaves off where Bana's does and doesn't even bother retelling the origin, and they just pretend like Ruffalo was Hulk the entire time.

I guess what I'm saying is that there is precedent for them just replace actors and reboot characters, and then hoping everything transitions smoothly.

As I understand it, Bana's Hulk wasn't in continuity, since the character wasn't owned by Marvel then. But the rights reverted to Marvel after lying dormant for so long, so Norton's one technically was Marvel, although most people credit Iron Man for kicking off the MCU. That was the time when Disney bought Marvel so everything after the first Iron Man was Disney and in continuity. Ruffalo replacing Norton though is valid and so too is your point about Don Cheadle.

I would say tho in those examples, they're both "secondary" characters in the MCU. They're supporting heroes to the main headliners and so re-casting wasn't so much of an issue, and further, it happened early enough in phase 1 that it's been this way for far longer than it was the other way.

The issue will be with RDJ who kinda headlined and sent the MCU skyrocketing. The option would be to kill Tony Stark in-universe, and explain a replacement in the continuity. To recast without anyone acknowledging it in-universe, it's just Tony Stark with a new face. To retire the character and just leave them off-screen. Or just keep doing reboots. It's not an easy one since continuity is THE reason for the MCU's success; all movies are in continuity with each other, in one shared universe.

You may well be right and just recasting will be enough. It will be jarring but could work. It's gonna happen after this next Avengers, Infinity War P2, the original contracts with the phase 1 lot was 3 standalone and 3 Avengers (IW counts as one film in two parts, sneaky Disney). RDJ would probably be happy to do more but at an exorbitant salary that Kevin Feige isn't willing to pay. Chris Evans wants to move on and has said he wants to be a director. I don't know about Hemsworth's feelings, beyond his quip about "playing Thor after he's let himself go a bit", sitting in Asgard eating and drinking. :-)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here