What the hell is this hairstyle called?!

I am going completely out of my mind trying to describe the hairstyle of a character in my story and can't because nothing I use to describe it returns any results that are the actual hairstyle.

The hairstyle I'm trying to find the name of is one where long hair is pulled up and allowed to fall in a loop that is then clipped to the back of the head so that the end of the loop spikes up. I was finally able to remember a specific example of this from media so here's an example of it from an anime.


Please someone end my frustration! What in the world do you call this?!

"Hair pinned up in a claw clip"?

I Googled this exact phrase and it returned a bunch of pics that look pretty similar to that drawing so...

EDIT: I guess those clips are actually called jaw clips or something? I dunno. I've had a hipster fade for like the past five years. I think the hairstyle is also a kind of updo?

You're looking for "topknot" I believe.

Its a ponytail pinned up

Not sure if there's a specific term for it. The example I thought of when I saw the image was Riza Hawkeye from FMA, and looking that up, her standard hairstyle is described as follows: "fastened up in the back with a clip barrette in a style that resembles a bird tail". I think that's a sufficient description (though I think it would have been sufficient if it ended at "barrette"), don't you?

I don't think there's a way you could describe it to make me think of that. I'm just gonna imagine the character completely different from you anyway so I don't think it really matters. Unless you include an illustration, I guess.

Ask 4chan, they might know the answer.

I found how to do it on wiki how but they just say its securied in a jaw clip


Reply to Thread

Log in or Register to Comment
Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
Register for a free account here