Avengers' Endgame

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The hype machine hath begun. So, umm... Seems kind of underwhelming? They're really going for the talky and kinda depressing vibe. Featuring Cap, Widow, Hawkeye, and Antman it almost seems like it might as well have been a Captain America movie, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8

Didn't we just have one of those?

Kinda a dull trailer...just like a little fart of nothing. Compare that to the first Infinity War trailer. I guess everyone at Awesome Trailers with Big Tits LLC was playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and forgot to make the trailer, so they had Billy the coffee boy throw one together on his lunch break.

Silentpony:
Kinda a dull trailer...just like a little fart of nothing. Compare that to the first Infinity War trailer. I guess everyone at Awesome Trailers with Big Tits LLC was playing Red Dead Redemption 2 and forgot to make the trailer, so they had Billy the coffee boy throw one together on his lunch break.

I'd guess they're just trying not to reveal to much, other than "hey a spaceman wiped out half the population including these guys you might be familiar with" which even people who've never seen the last one probably know anyway thanks to cultural osmosis. Given that kind of cliffhanger anything they show probably counts as a spoiler so the less they show in the early trailers the better

Palindromemordnilap:

Silentpony:

I'd guess they're just trying not to reveal to much, other than "hey a spaceman wiped out half the population including these guys you might be familiar with" which even people who've never seen the last one probably know anyway thanks to cultural osmosis. Given that kind of cliffhanger anything they show probably counts as a spoiler so the less they show in the early trailers the better

well its important to remember how much they blatantly lied in the first Infinity war trailer, with entire scenes shot to misdirect. So for all we know nothing in that trailer is actually in the movie.

Pyrian:
The hype machine hath begun. So, umm... Seems kind of underwhelming? They're really going for the talky and kinda depressing vibe. Featuring Cap, Widow, Hawkeye, and Antman it almost seems like it might as well have been a Captain America movie, lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA6hldpSTF8

Silentpony:

They're just trying to play it down, what with the last movie ending with half the universe getting vaporized. And remember, this needs to come out after Captain Marvel, who is obviously set up to save the day, so they really can't show too much. Not saying it's a good trailer though, but it is what it is, and what it is is a 'see look, we're working on it' kind of trailer.

And afterall, this is going to be the sequel that starts out dour and end with everyone that ate it in the previous movie getting resurrected, ready for new solo and shared adventures.

So, like, what's with the music? Everything in the trailer is slow and dour, but the music itself is fast-paced and dramatic; the type of music you'd put over an action scene.

Also, what's with "Avenger's" Endgame? Drop the apostrophe. :P

Looks like Marvel took a page from DC for this one.

Hawki:
Also, what's with "Avenger's" Endgame? Drop the apostrophe. :P

Hmm. Seems like a possessive to me. It's a plural possessive, though, so it needs to be after the s, dangit...

I don't get what the big deal is, I can understand why the trailer is so dour, considering the last Avengers film ended on a real gut punch. Thanks goodness for Scott at the end...

I was really hoping the time skip rumors were true, but with Scott showing up in the present it doesn't seem to be the case (unless they're misdirecting by showing us fake scenes which I approve of)

Palindromemordnilap:

Silentpony:

Honestly, didn't take much osmosis. I know I pieced together what happened (not the 'who died' part, but the 'what happened) when I started seeing "Thanos did nothing wrong" quips.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Didn't we just have one of those?

We did. As I recall, you did not care for it. Save yourself the aggravation and $20 and don't bother this time.

Trailer looks good, looking forward to the movie.

As far as i'm concerned infinity wars ending was perfect and nothing else comes after that. I'm legitimately not going to see "endgame" and act like infinity war is the end of the series.

I hope it's more depressing than the last one. Am fed up of all their happiness, mocking me with their success, quips and pretty eyeballs. Super depressing for all the children at Christmas! Or whenever it's out. It doesn't matter. As long as the children cry and existential despair is spread across the globe through something other than my telepathic propaganda machine.

..Wow, y'all are a bunch of negative nancies aren't ya?

I'm hoping for an action-packed fight and a happy ending. I dunno, after the "Empire Strikes Back" feel of the last film, I'm ready for their "Return of the Jedi" if you catch my drift. Who's with me?

(For some reason I'm remembering the opening to "Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Anyone recall that show? Really wish it hadn't been cancelled...)

CrazyGirl17:

I'm hoping for an action-packed fight and a happy ending. I dunno, after the "Empire Strikes Back" feel of the last film, I'm ready for their "Return of the Jedi" if you catch my drift. Who's with me?

Dude everybody knows they're gonna retcon the "dark" ending of the previous movie. It's a Disney movie AND a supehero movie AND even if these weren't superheroes (ie. resurrection's never a big deal) just about every "dead" character has an upcoming movie or show lined up on IMDB anyway. Thanos' win is meaningless, just a contrived way to sell you two movies instead of one.

Johnny Novgorod:

CrazyGirl17:

Dude everybody knows they're gonna retcon the "dark" ending of the previous movie. It's a Disney movie AND a supehero movie AND even if these weren't superheroes (ie. resurrection's never a big deal) just about every "dead" character has an upcoming movie or show lined up on IMDB anyway. Thanos' win is meaningless, just a contrived way to sell you two movies instead of one.

...Okay, fair point. Though in this case I'm not complaining.. but that's just me. I'm looking forward to seeing Thanos get curbstomped, how about anyone else?

Lufia Erim:
As far as i'm concerned infinity wars ending was perfect and nothing else comes after that. I'm legitimately not going to see "endgame" and act like infinity war is the end of the series.

I'm kinda inclined to agree.

If I was under the impression that Infinity War was a series ender, or at least wouldn't be undone, I'd probably be more charitable to it. It would be a genuine subversion of tropes, superhero or otherwise, where the "bad guy" wins, despite all the efforts of the protagonists. But nup - the snap's going to be undone, and Marvel hasn't even tried to hide this. Oh sure, some characters may end up permenantly dead, but it's kinda small fry in the larger context.

CrazyGirl17:

Johnny Novgorod:

CrazyGirl17:

...Okay, fair point. Though in this case I'm not complaining.. but that's just me. I'm looking forward to seeing Thanos get curbstomped, how about anyone else?

Sure, Brolin was good being hateful. The problem is that in the interest of keeping things PG every MCU villain always dies either by their own hand or that of another villain. I knew Thanos wasn't dying as soon as Thor swung that axe at him. So it's going to be something super unsatisfying as per usual. They already tried punching him, what's left?

My curiosity is purely morbid and hinges on speculating what kind of hoops the writers are gonna jump through in order to A) revive everybody with franchise potential, B) write out all the actors who are sick of an easy paycheck and C) contrive a happy ending that paves the road to 22 other movies. Either way it's just a corporate hack job.

Johnny Novgorod:

CrazyGirl17:

Johnny Novgorod:

Sure, Brolin was good being hateful. The problem is that in the interest of keeping things PG every MCU villain always dies either by their own hand or that of another villain. I knew Thanos wasn't dying as soon as Thor swung that axe at him. So it's going to be something super unsatisfying as per usual. They already tried punching him, what's left?

My curiosity is purely morbid and hinges on speculating what kind of hoops the writers are gonna jump through in order to A) revive everybody with franchise potential, B) write out all the actors who are sick of an easy paycheck and C) contrive a happy ending that paves the road to 22 other movies. Either way it's just a corporate hack job.

I think most people will prefer a happy ending. I can see how it could be considered "cheap", I'm not denying that... but I guess I just prefer that kind of ending. Also, it's kind of a given with comic book movies.

(I am willing to concede your points at least)

Personally, I feel like this movie should be the grand finale... but we all know that's never gonna happen.

Hawki:

Lufia Erim:

I'm kinda inclined to agree.

If I was under the impression that Infinity War was a series ender, or at least wouldn't be undone, I'd probably be more charitable to it. It would be a genuine subversion of tropes, superhero or otherwise, where the "bad guy" wins, despite all the efforts of the protagonists. But nup - the snap's going to be undone, and Marvel hasn't even tried to hide this. Oh sure, some characters may end up permenantly dead, but it's kinda small fry in the larger context.

Not only that, but, in my opinion, it makes sense. Thanos isn't some Evil villain out for destruction for the sake of it. His reasoning makes sense from a logical standpoint. He himself has made sacrifices for " the greater good". His methods are unbiased and "fair". The foreshadowing of the ending when Tony stark asks Thanos " And the what?" and he replies that he is going to sit and watch the sunset. The fact that Dr. Strange forsees one unlikely scenario for the avengers victory.

All of that seems cheapened by the mere existence of " Endgame".

Endgame turns a stellar movie series ( and fantastic ending) to another generic super hero film. And to me that's tragic.

Lufia Erim:
Not only that, but, in my opinion, it makes sense. Thanos isn't some Evil villain out for destruction for the sake of it. His reasoning makes sense from a logical standpoint.

But it doesn't make sense, not in the least. Even if you grant Thanos' point, that life inevitably and catastrophically overwhelms resources -- and frankly there's no in-universe evidence we've seen to support that -- all his 'solution' does is kick the can down the road a generation or two.

At absolute best.

At least his comicbook justification -- to impress Lady Death, the love of his life -- made a certain twisted sense. In an attempt, I presume, to simplify the story and toss in a rather sick and twisted environmental message in the process, the movie version of Thanos has nothing but a well-delivered stream of unjustifiable mental diarrhea. He's brutally murdered millions before the gauntlet, now trillions after, and for what? A meaningless blip, on any real timescale, in the universes' population?

GG, Thanos, GG.

I'm tired of trailers showing all the good bits. They make going to the movie pointless.

I don't know if this would have sold me on Engame. But, at this point in the MCU, if you weren't already invested, your never going to be

CrazyGirl17:

My ears are burning!

I don't know, though. It's quite possible after the last movie, nothing wass going to match that hype. I'm still not all that impressed, though.

Johnny Novgorod:

I'm fine with them coming back because I'm an adult with pattern recognition. What amazed me is the number of people who were pumping their fists in the air because finally there were stakes and death was real in the MCU and...how the hell does anyone actually believe that to be the case?

They gave us a solid ending with some good deliveries, and it was cool. Just amazes me that anyone thought this was for realsies.

I'm also really annoyed by creative trying to PT Barnum us. "Oh, they're dead for real," they said as Spider-Man 2 and BP 2 and GotG 3 were being confirmed. "Oh, the title for 4 wasn't spoken in 3, they said while half the internet guessed it was Endgame. I don't get the point, since these aren't interviews kids were going to watch.

trunkage:
I don't know if this would have sold me on Engame. But, at this point in the MCU, if you weren't already invested, your never going to be

This much a least is true. I doubt anyone's going to give a miss to the movie that was going to watch it before.

CrazyGirl17:
(For some reason I'm remembering the opening to"Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Anyone recall that show? Really wish it hadn't been cancelled...)

Forgot I was gonna add this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qli9QYTp344

Something Amyss:
I'm fine with them coming back because I'm an adult with pattern recognition. What amazed me is the number of people who were pumping their fists in the air because finally there were stakes and death was real in the MCU and...how the hell does anyone actually believe that to be the case?

They gave us a solid ending with some good deliveries, and it was cool. Just amazes me that anyone thought this was for realsies.

I'm also really annoyed by creative trying to PT Barnum us. "Oh, they're dead for real," they said as Spider-Man 2 and BP 2 and GotG 3 were being confirmed. "Oh, the title for 4 wasn't spoken in 3, they said while half the internet guessed it was Endgame. I don't get the point, since these aren't interviews kids were going to watch.

Methinks the mistake they made, myself included, is that they assumed people were already aware of the comicbooks' storyline direction and how easily everything can, and often is, undone. And that they intend to adapt these very comic books all the way through. It's surprising how many people aren't aware of this, as I have never read any them at all yet have absorbed enough through classic cultural osmosis to understand how it generally plays out and where it's sort of heading. Yet people treat this infinity war saga as if the source material doesn't exist or marvel is just supposed to give up a fraction of the way through the original plot direction cause a specific ending felt better than the rest.

Xsjadoblayde:

Something Amyss:

Methinks the mistake they made, myself included, is that they assumed people were already aware of the comicbooks' storyline direction and how easily everything can, and often is, undone. And that they intend to adapt these very comic books all the way through. It's surprising how many people aren't aware of this, as I have never read any them at all yet have absorbed enough through classic cultural osmosis to understand how it generally plays out and where it's sort of heading. Yet people treat this infinity war saga as if the source material doesn't exist or marvel is just supposed to give up a fraction of the way through the original plot direction cause a specific ending felt better than the rest.

Huh, never though it of it that way. I'm personally not complaining if it's undone. Just seeing characters I know and love disappear into dust hurts... especially Spider-Man's death. Props to his actor for making the moment both memorable and heart-breaking.

A recent video that kinda fits the chat:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UZzttEsGNnk

Something Amyss:

CrazyGirl17:
(For some reason I'm remembering the opening to"Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Anyone recall that show? Really wish it hadn't been cancelled...)

Forgot I was gonna add this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qli9QYTp344

Thanks, I really needed that.

Someone tell me this is the last superhero movie.

Wintermute:

Oh no they're doing a Captain Marvel movie, another Spider-Man, another Black Panther, a third Guardians, the Chinese equivalent of Black Panther (forget the character's name), a Black Widow movie, an Eternals movie and possibly a Blade reboot. Also Fox's making a Dark Phoenix movie (again) and DCEU has 7 or so projects lined up. Superheroes are here to outlive herpes.

Myria:
He's brutally murdered millions before the gauntlet, now trillions after, and for what? A meaningless blip, on any real timescale, in the universes' population?

GG, Thanos, GG.

No probs. Just fire up the genocide machine again once the universe has repopulated.

Although frankly, given population increase trends, it's going to require another dose of random death in, ooh, maybe 50 years or so. And so on until, perhaps, everyone learns the lesson and stops reproducing.

Although let's face it, there's obviously going to be some kind of temporal or dimensional fiddle where everyone gets brought back to life anyway. Obvious is, after all, obvious.

Myria:
SNIP

Don't forget the Russo brothers confirmed he killed half of ALL life. ALL life, including plants, non-sentient animals and bacteria.
So in order to reduce starvation from over population, he halved the population. Then halved their food sources, thus not fixing anything.

Also killing half of all bacteria kills life. Straight up, that's the end of all life as we know it everyone, full stop. Thanos ended life completely, and its just lazy writing that no one noticed.

Silentpony:

Also killing half of all bacteria kills life. Straight up, that's the end of all life as we know it everyone, full stop. Thanos ended life completely, and its just lazy writing that no one noticed.

Bacterial growth is so fast that if half of it is wiped out, it'd get back to the initial value before anyone even really noticed. You remove or kill large percentages of your skin bacteria every time you take a shower, and most of it is back by the end of the day. You kill huge amounts of your mouth's bacteria with a good mouthwash gargle, and a few hours later it's like not much ever happened.

Like for instance if you killed half the plankton in the sea (and nothing else), at worst a few fish and whales and so on will go a bit hungrier for a day or two.

Agema:

No probs. Just fire up the genocide machine again once the universe has repopulated.

Isn't the Infinity Gauntlet kinda busted now? IIRC, after he does the snap, it's left broken, or smoking, or something like that.

Agema:

Like for instance if you killed half the plankton in the sea (and nothing else), at worst a few fish and whales and so on will go a bit hungrier for a day or two.

Given the effects of climate change on the world's oceans, that's actually a terrifying, more permanant possibility. And if plankton go, a whole lot of sealife is going to go with it.

Wintermute:

lol no

Expect at least another decade of this. I think by now Marvel/Disney is at halfway with this project.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here