Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So, this movie came out, and it's great (and I'm surprised there isn't already a thread about it here). I watched it on Saturday and I loved every moment. It's heartfelt, and funny, it pokes appropriate fun at the spider-man franchise, and it's really the anti-thesis of everything I think of with regards to big studio movies.

This brings me to HOW THE FUCK did this thing get made? It's absolutely shocking to me that this movie not only exists but went into wide release in theaters. I wish I could have seen the pitch meeting.

I'm not going to spoil anything about the movie or try to talk around the plot. Suffice to say this movie is goddamn insane and everyone should go see it. This is exactly what a comic book movie should be, completely embracing how silly comic books are rather than being embarrassed and trying to distance themselves from their source material.

Which one is it, be yourself or power of friendship?

Well, I was going to put my review in the other thread where two others have already gushed about it. But I'll do it here instead. Having a joke character is pretty standard in these sort of movies. But 3? That's overkill. They had as much development as the stinger at the end (which, by far, was the funniest bit.). Spider-Gwen had no development and was overpowered from the start, making her head into Mary Sue territory. Pretty much nothing from the villains, except Livi (I think her name was) but she had a side story with Kingpin that was just dropped.. There was no explaination of Prowler and I think that was sorely missing. The badass character was Aunt May and she did nothing. When are we getting Spider-May?

The art style was beautiful, until is moved and then there were missed results. The last fight was an absolute mess, even more than Venom. The kept trying to point to the target but it literally doesn't matter where it is when Space and Time are breaking down. I actually found this less funny than Venom but I don't get that much out of cringe or slapstick humour.m

Still, better than Homecoming or Venom. 8/10

Johnny Novgorod:

Be yourself through the power of friendship

Dirty Hipsters:
So, this movie came out, and it's great (and I'm surprised there isn't already a thread about it here). I watched it on Saturday and I loved every moment. It's heartfelt, and funny, it pokes appropriate fun at the spider-man franchise, and it's really the anti-thesis of everything I think of with regards to big studio movies.

This brings me to HOW THE FUCK did this thing get made? It's absolutely shocking to me that this movie not only exists but went into wide release in theaters. I wish I could have seen the pitch meeting.

I'm not going to spoil anything about the movie or try to talk around the plot. Suffice to say this movie is goddamn insane and everyone should go see it. This is exactly what a comic book movie should be, completely embracing how silly comic books are rather than being embarrassed and trying to distance themselves from their source material.

Agreed. This the most a comic book has ever come to life in film that I have seen, and no other movie, animated or live-action, has never gotten his close. Video games have are closer than most movies at this point (you can thank cel-shading in the early 2000s and Comix Zone for that one).

Saw it early this morning, and is my favorite Spider-Man movie. I put it above Spider-Man 2, which was a personal favorite of mine at one point, but that film has pacing issues I cannot deny.

Spiderverse
Spider Man 2
Spider Man
Venom
Homecoming
Spider Man 3

For the record, I refused and still have no interests in the Amazing Spider Man films. That's why they're not on the list.

If you're an animation fan, you owe it to yourself to see this, now!

It was...ok. But it is not MCU, and it is about Miles and multi-verses which are things I dislike.

Also the other Spider-People after Miles, B Parker and Gwen really...were unimportant. Also deriding Miles for 'being just a kid' while ignoring that one of them is a even younger kid is absurd.

I also dont care for the style of it, it was over-stylized.

I dont expect most people to agree with me though, I am nit-pickier than most will be.

trunkage:
Well, I was going to put my review in the other thread where two others have already gushed about it. But I'll do it here instead. Having a joke character is pretty standard in these sort of movies. But 3? That's overkill. They had as much development as the stinger at the end (which, by far, was the funniest bit.). Spider-Gwen had no development and was overpowered from the start, making her head into Mary Sue territory. Pretty much nothing from the villains, except Livi (I think her name was) but she had a side story with Kingpin that was just dropped.. There was no explaination of Prowler and I think that was sorely missing. The badass character was Aunt May and she did nothing. When are we getting Spider-May?

The art style was beautiful, until is moved and then there were missed results. The last fight was an absolute mess, even more than Venom. The kept trying to point to the target but it literally doesn't matter where it is when Space and Time are breaking down. I actually found this less funny than Venom but I don't get that much out of cringe or slapstick humour.m

Still, better than Homecoming or Venom. 8/10

Funny thing is, I like both Venom and Homecoming. The former is decent fun (that was a huge box office surprise), and latter is good, but could have used improvement in a few areas. Gwen never felt over powered to me anyway. They were technically 4 comic reliefs, if we're counting Spider-Noir (with the hammy acting from good ole Nic Cage). Every Spider Person had their own comedic moments, and I never felt they went overboard or overstayed their welcome.

trunkage:

Johnny Novgorod:

Not power of friendship by being yourself?

Johnny Novgorod:

trunkage:

Johnny Novgorod:

Eh, its more just 'be yourself'. There wasn't really much 'power of friendship'. Or really more 'Be the best you'.

trunkage:
Well, I was going to put my review in the other thread where two others have already gushed about it. But I'll do it here instead. Having a joke character is pretty standard in these sort of movies. But 3? That's overkill.

I would't call Peni or Noir joke characters, they had funny lines sure but like the other posters said everyone had comedic moments

trunkage:
They had as much development as the stinger at the end (which, by far, was the funniest bit.). Spider-Gwen had no development and was overpowered from the start, making her head into Mary Sue territory.

I feel as if she only had one overpowered moment.

trunkage:
Pretty much nothing from the villains, except Livi (I think her name was) but she had a side story with Kingpin that was just dropped.. There was no explaination of Prowler and I think that was sorely missing. The badass character was Aunt May and she did nothing. When are we getting Spider-May?

What do you mean by explanation for Prowler, also May knocked out Tombstone.

Dirty Hipsters:
So, this movie came out, and it's great (and I'm surprised there isn't already a thread about it here).

It's already been discussed in the movie thread.

Also why I say I'll agree, but I've already said my piece on the film in said thread - don't need to say much more.

CoCage:

Saw it early this morning, and is my favorite Spider-Man movie. I put it above Spider-Man 2, which was a personal favorite of mine at one point, but that film has pacing issues I cannot deny.

Spiderverse
Spider Man 2
Spider Man
Venom
Homecoming
Spider Man 3

For the record, I refused and still have no interests in the Amazing Spider Man films. That's why they're not on the list.

If we're playing the ranking game:

8) The Amazing Spider-Man
7) Spider-Man 3
6) Venom
5) The Amazing Spider-Man 2
4) Homecoming
3) Spider-Man
2) Spider-Man 2
1) Into the Spider-Verse

1) Spider-Man Homecoming
2) Avengers Captain America: Civil War
3) Spider-Man 1
4) Spider-Man 2
5) Spider-Man 3
6) Spiderverse
7) Venom

Johnny Novgorod:

trunkage:

Johnny Novgorod:

That's Venom. The yourself here is the two entities joining in friendship to become more powerful

PapaGreg096:

trunkage:
Pretty much nothing from the villains, except Livi (I think her name was) but she had a side story with Kingpin that was just dropped.. There was no explaination of Prowler and I think that was sorely missing. The badass character was Aunt May and she did nothing. When are we getting Spider-May?

Yep, she's badass. Time for her to be bit by a spider.

Without spoiling, why did Prowler deviate from his brother? This could be a foil or even motivation to kick Miles further forward in his journey.

I think that was a missed opportunity

Excellent movie, one of my fave movies of the year and my second fave animated film of this year with Wreck it Ralph 2 being number 1 and Incredibles 2 being number 3 and so on.

1. Spider-Man 2
2. Into the Spider-Verse
3. Spider-Man
4. Spider-Man 3
5. Homecoming
6. Amazing Spider-Man
7. Venom
8. Amazing Spider-Man 2

I enjoy 3 at some points despite it being a complete mess. Might be a bit biased with #1, but choosing between the top 2 is harder for me especially since I love them both a lot.

trunkage:

PapaGreg096:

trunkage:

Yep, she's badass. Time for her to be bit by a spider.

Without spoiling, why did Prowler deviate from his brother? This could be a foil or even motivation to kick Miles further forward in his journey.

I think that was a missed opportunity

Well its not that Prowler deviated from his brother but Davis deviated from Aaron. Its said that both of them were graffiti artist and while Davis decided to better himself and joined the force Aaron went even deeper and joined Kingpin

The best theatrical comic book animated adaptation in a long time since Batman Mask of the Phantasm, damn good film and one of my faves of 2018.

So I finally saw the movie. And it was fun, but... I don't get where people are seeing the genius. Everybody's been raving about Spider-Verse like it's the second coming and I can't for the life of me see it. I like the clash of styles and the humor and the action and villain re-imaginings but what makes it so much more life-changing than a 2 hour Saturday Morning Cartoon?

Johnny Novgorod:
So I finally saw the movie. And it was fun, but... I don't get where people are seeing the genius. Everybody's been raving about Spider-Verse like it's the second coming and I can't for the life of me see it. I like the clash of styles and the humor and the action and villain re-imaginings but what makes it so much more life-changing than a 2 hour Saturday Morning Cartoon?

Well, first of all it's something fresh in the world of western animation, which has been taken over by the Pixar style for at least the last 15 years. That alone is pretty remarkable.

Equally important, it has fun with its superheroes and superhero universe in a way that you rarely see in big budget movies. Movie franchises like Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man specifically are so affraid to scare off general audiences with anything too outside the norm that we end up with typical stuff everytime. Not that Spider-Verse doesn't have a familiar plot and character arcs, but the fact that it's done with a main character that isn't Peter Parker, that the Peter Parker we do get is a flabby 40-year old, and that one character is a talking pig.. in a big budget Spider-Man movie, that's something we haven't seen before.

I'm not going to say it's the best superhero/animated/Spider-Man movie, it's just extremely refreshing in the bland assembly line production of current superhero movies.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:

Well, first of all it's something fresh in the world of western animation, which has been taken over by the Pixar style for at least the last 15 years. That alone is pretty remarkable.

Equally important, it has fun with its superheroes and superhero universe in a way that you rarely see in big budget movies. Movie franchises like Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man specifically are so affraid to scare off general audiences with anything too outside the norm that we end up with typical stuff everytime. Not that Spider-Verse doesn't have a familiar plot and character arcs, but the fact that it's done with a main character that isn't Peter Parker, that the Peter Parker we do get is a flabby 40-year old, and that one character is a talking pig.. in a big budget Spider-Man movie, that's something we haven't seen before.

I'm not going to say it's the best superhero/animated/Spider-Man movie, it's just extremely refreshing in the bland assembly line production of current superhero movies.

That's fine, I agree that it's a good animated movie, and why. I thought superhero movies were already doing the meta amirite yuck-yucks for some time now, but whatever. It's the weirdly obsequious reaction on social media that I'm completely confused by. You know that feeling when you're halfway through a movie and already you've decided it's brilliant and you HAVE to watch it again? I never got that from Spider-Verse. I sort of waited for that gut-punch the whole movie and it never came.

Johnny Novgorod:

I love Marvel, but I agree. Like, it was good, but I dunno, people act like animated Marvel is a new thing, as if The X-Men cartoon never existed, as if those Disney cartoons with Spider-Man and The Avengers didn't exist.

It was fine, but its not going to make the MCU suddenly go animated, infact I prefer the Live Action, seeing Marvel brought to life with people still amazes me.

Saelune:

Johnny Novgorod:

I love Marvel, but I agree. Like, it was good, but I dunno, people act like animated Marvel is a new thing, as if The X-Men cartoon never existed, as if those Disney cartoons with Spider-Man and The Avengers didn't exist.

It was fine, but its not going to make the MCU suddenly go animated, infact I prefer the Live Action, seeing Marvel brought to life with people still amazes me.

One of the rare occasions where we divide in opinion.

I loved this more than any of the live action Marvel films. I can always notice CGI which does nothing but take me out of the moment. And they hire people for their looks, and not their fighting ability. And even if they did, no one can actually move like Spiderman does in real life.

I feel the medium perfectly lent to the visual representation of how manic the world seems when you're going through that time. Now to that, add super powers and the fate of millions of people depending on a teenaged boy.

Live Action is so... Flat. Very rarely does the medium really display how powerful these people are. The one time I can think of is when Hulk and Thor finished their fight on board the Chitauri ship. But the rest... Hell, Thor Ragnarok on the Bifrost bridge. We're talking about a man who can lift the World Serpent. And how powerful did he look? He was mainly punching guys and pushing them back as much as Captain America. His one real feat of strength was throwing a guy in the air.

Juxtapose that to Miles getting frustrated and lightly tapping his fist against a giant rock and splitting it without any effort. That displays power.

Knowing the feats I do for these characters, everything in Live Action looks so... muted. This was vibrant. And Vibrancy is something that has been lost to Marvel for a bit. That's half the reason Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther are my favorite marvel movies... Even though Drax is NO WHERE NEAR as powerful as he should be...

Johnny Novgorod:
That's fine, I agree that it's a good animated movie, and why. I thought superhero movies were already doing the meta amirite yuck-yucks for some time now, but whatever. It's the weirdly obsequious reaction on social media that I'm completely confused by. You know that feeling when you're halfway through a movie and already you've decided it's brilliant and you HAVE to watch it again? I never got that from Spider-Verse. I sort of waited for that gut-punch the whole movie and it never came.

I think it's just the combination of unique art style, Lord/Miller type humor, and Spider-Man fun that causes people to go a bit crazy over it. There's a reason we haven't seen Miles Morales and the multi-verse in a superhero movie yet, and that's because studios are too scared to risk it. But this movie is the first to take the plunge, and a lot of people appreciate it. It's the first big screen renditions of Miles and Spider-Gwen, the latter especially being a fan favorite. And getting Spider-Ham in a movie is something I'm sure nobody ever expected. It also uses its medium wonderfully to play around with its superheroes/villains in a way live-action won't and can't.

It also just felt like a nice stand-alone movie, instead of sequel #862 where 40 percent is setting up the big event for the next sequel. And if you're already not that in love with how Marvel movies look, and how generic the villains usually are, Spider-Verse is kinda like seeing Spider-Man 2 or The Incredibles again for the first time.

Casual Shinji:
I think it's just the combination of unique art style, Lord/Miller type humor, and Spider-Man fun that causes people to go a bit crazy over it. There's a reason we haven't seen Miles Morales and the multi-verse in a superhero movie yet, and that's because studios are too scared to risk it.

And that reason was on for about half a second in the movie. Gotta love some shout outs

Saelune:

I think they know that very well, and that's exactly why they love it so much. X-Men: The Animated Series could delve into some of the crazier aspects of the superhero genre, like all the space stuff, because it was animated. Spider-Verse is the same, in that it can play around with things live-action wouldn't or couldn't, like a pig in a Spider-Man suit.

It's the same reason people hold Batman: The Animated Series in such high regard. Animation (if handled with talent) can do things with superheroes that make their live-action counter parts look like amateur cosplayers bangling from wires.

ObsidianJones:

Saelune:

Johnny Novgorod:

One of the rare occasions where we divide in opinion.

I loved this more than any of the live action Marvel films. I can always notice CGI which does nothing but take me out of the moment. And they hire people for their looks, and not their fighting ability. And even if they did, no one can actually move like Spiderman does in real life.

I feel the medium perfectly lent to the visual representation of how manic the world seems when you're going through that time. Now to that, add super powers and the fate of millions of people depending on a teenaged boy.

Live Action is so... Flat. Very rarely does the medium really display how powerful these people are. The one time I can think of is when Hulk and Thor finished their fight on board the Chitauri ship. But the rest... Hell, Thor Ragnarok on the Bifrost bridge. We're talking about a man who can lift the World Serpent. And how powerful did he look? He was mainly punching guys and pushing them back as much as Captain America. His one real feat of strength was throwing a guy in the air.

Juxtapose that to Miles getting frustrated and lightly tapping his fist against a giant rock and splitting it without any effort. That displays power.

Knowing the feats I do for these characters, everything in Live Action looks so... muted. This was vibrant. And Vibrancy is something that has been lost to Marvel for a bit. That's half the reason Guardians of the Galaxy and Black Panther are my favorite marvel movies... Even though Drax is NO WHERE NEAR as powerful as he should be...

Have you even watched Tom Holland's Spider-Man? He is a kid! A scrawny one at that and he can deflect Winter Soldier and Thanos's attacks, lift himself out of a collapsed building, and hold on against the vacuum of space while lifting people!

Just because you aren't paying attention, doesn't mean they aren't showing his strength or flexibility.

People are just overhyped. I remember when people said the recent Star Wars movies were good and telling me I was wrong. Then time passed and now popular opinion mostly agrees with me.

Also, according to all right-wingers here, I now think you're a Nazi, cause you disagree with me, sorry Obsidian, that's just how it works apparently. ;P

Casual Shinji:

Saelune:

I think they know that very well, and that's exactly why they love it so much. X-Men: The Animated Series could delve into some of the crazier aspects of the superhero genre, like all the space stuff, because it was animated. Spider-Verse is the same, in that it can play around with things live-action wouldn't or couldn't, like a pig in a Spider-Man suit.

It's the same reason people hold Batman: The Animated Series in such high regard. Animation (if handled with talent) can do things with superheroes that make their live-action counter parts look like amateur cosplayers bangling from wires.

If they got rid of the other characters, Noir, Porker and the anime girl, I think Spider-Verse could have been a regular Marvel movie.

I mean, what about Big Hero 6? That happened, and people didn't get this hyped.

Saelune:
If they got rid of the other characters, Noir, Porker and the anime girl, I think Spider-Verse could have been a regular Marvel movie.

Maybe, I'd have to see that version first. But even then, just its way of presenting itself (not just visually) would still make it stand out among the MCU. The creative team behind it also gives it a more unique voice than most of the Marvel movies, or just all of the Marvel movies except for Guardians and Homecoming.

I mean, what about Big Hero 6? That happened, and people didn't get this hyped.

Well, ignoring the fact that that movie probably made more money then Spider-Verse ever will, it was just kind of the same old Disney fare. Also, it's not Spider-Man - The fans tend to be more vocal about that.

Saelune:
Have you even watched Tom Holland's Spider-Man? He is a kid! A scrawny one at that and he can deflect Winter Soldier and Thanos's attacks, lift himself out of a collapsed building, and hold on against the vacuum of space while lifting people!

Just because you aren't paying attention, doesn't mean they aren't showing his strength or flexibility.

People are just overhyped. I remember when people said the recent Star Wars movies were good and telling me I was wrong. Then time passed and now popular opinion mostly agrees with me.

Also, according to all right-wingers here, I now think you're a Nazi, cause you disagree with me, sorry Obsidian, that's just how it works apparently. ;P

CGI!!!

"The airport is a hundred percent digital," ILM visual effects supervisor Russell Earl tells me over the phone. "Spider-Man, Giant-Man, and Black Panther are always one-hundred percent CG. Iron Man, War Machine, and then we've got Vision." The exceptions were characters like Black Widow, Captain America, or Winter Soldier - basically, the few people not wearing a mask of some sort. But while directors Joe and Anthony Russo did shoot at an airport in Germany, only a handful of principal cast members were there - with the majority of the live-action footage shot against a giant green screen in Atlanta, Georgia and assembled by the visual effects team later."

I hate CGI. I can't ever parse it into the real world, so in turn all I think is "Oh, Movie".

And seriously? Those are the rules?

Can I at least be a repentant Nazi and join up with the Inglourious Basterds?

ObsidianJones:
I hate CGI. I can't ever parse it into the real world, so in turn all I think is "Oh, Movie".

I don't mind CGI, but in these kinds of movies my brain will always notice that switch from 'real actor person' to 'CGI guy', and back to 'real actor person'. Funny enough I don't have this problem as much with pre-Iron Man 1 superhero movies. It's like current CGI has a gloss to it that instantly catches my eye.

ObsidianJones:

Saelune:

CGI!!!

"The airport is a hundred percent digital," ILM visual effects supervisor Russell Earl tells me over the phone. "Spider-Man, Giant-Man, and Black Panther are always one-hundred percent CG. Iron Man, War Machine, and then we?ve got Vision." The exceptions were characters like Black Widow, Captain America, or Winter Soldier ? basically, the few people not wearing a mask of some sort. But while directors Joe and Anthony Russo did shoot at an airport in Germany, only a handful of principal cast members were there ? with the majority of the live-action footage shot against a giant green screen in Atlanta, Georgia and assembled by the visual effects team later."

And seriously? Those are the rules?

I was too busy having everything I ever wanted for the MCU happening right in front of my eyes.

I don't have this problem until it is Superman's 'not mustache' mouth.

Saelune:

Casual Shinji:

Saelune:

I actually wanted more of those characters. Felt like they showed up too late and did too little. Most of the movie is a duo between Miles and Peter. Felt like they didn't squeeze the multiverse angle for all that it's worth.

Johnny Novgorod:
I actually wanted more of those characters. Felt like they showed up too late and did too little. Most of the movie is a duo between Miles and Peter. Felt like they didn't squeeze the multiverse angle for all that it's worth.

I don't think they showed up too late, but they were introduced as sort of 'oh yeah, here's the rest'. With as little screen time as they got I think they could've felt more satisfying if they each had their one moment to shine. If you compare it to The Lego Movie, which Spider-Verse has a lot of similarities to, each team member has that one scene where it's all about them, like 70's Space Man finally being allowed to make a spaceship, and Princess Uni-Kitty going berserk. Spider-Verse needed something like that. Spider-Ham sorta gets a moment like that, when he beats Scorpian's ass with a wooden mallet, but Noir and Peni just kinda hang around.

Casual Shinji:

Johnny Novgorod:

I don't think they showed up too late, but they were introduced as sort of 'oh yeah, here's the rest'. With as little screen time as they got I think they could've felt more satisfying if they each had their one moment to shine. If you compare it to The Lego Movie, which Spider-Verse has a lot of similarities to, each team member has that one scene where it's all about them, like 70's Space Man finally being allowed to make a spaceship, and Princess Uni-Kitty going berserk. Spider-Verse needed something like that. Spider-Ham sorta gets a moment like that, when he beats Scorpian's ass with a wooden mallet, but Noir and Peni just kinda hang around.

Right, everybody gets their quick little moment to shine in the final battle but the plot never really needed any of them like it needed Miles or Peter or Gwen. Wish they'd been actually involved in the plot. As it is none of them ever really outdo their introductions, which take up most of their dialogue.

I guess that's my biggest frustration with the movie - the waste of the stuff that could've made it brilliant. Like how the Spider-Verse itself (the diversity of Spideys) doesn't factor into the plot. You could've told the same story without inventing other dimensions, feels like. Silly underdog, down-and-out mentor and no-nonsense friendzone chick, which is every Marvel chick btw. And for that matter, if there's an infinity of Spider-People, why should I give a shit when one of them dies? Why care about anything when the universe factors in every single possibility and outcome ever? You don't have to go full nihilist Rick & Morty style but at least acknowledge the potential intricacies of the plot. Let Miles have an emo moment with that.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here