So Aquaman....its everything I expected it would be.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

To sum it up, everything about this movie was done precisely to make itself more like Marvel in tone, visuals, and action. They worked HARD to make this movie look and feel NOTHING like the tone and visuals of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

This movie was complete and utter fucking facepalming cheese and cringe....yet also fucking awesome and badass at the same time.

Basically I have a like it/hate it disposition of this movie.

The stuff I liked was HOLY SHIT, THIS IS AWESOME AND PUTS MARVEL MOVIES LIKE BLACK PANTHER TO SHAME!!!

But the stuff I didn't like made me fucking depressed that this is the direction DC is now taking post Batman v Superman and later Snyder. Stuff that at some point I feel like "I am too old for this stupid/kiddy bullshit"

But in the end I worry about the future of DC movies still because of the vague news that Henry Cavill dropped the role of Superman and Ben Afflick as Batman. (And even more crazier rumors that Michael B. Jordan (Killmonger) will be recast as Superman) So I don't know what's gonna happen in later movies. You lost the best possible actors that has the perfect look to be Superman and Batman I don't know any actor at the moment that can match their physique let alone acting skills.

So, it was amazing. But because it wasn't up it's own pretentious ass crying about dead parents you hated it?

sounds like it was just amazing then

Well, you can't exactly blame it for wanting to distance itself from the complete dumpster fire that is the DC Snyder-verse. And while I won't claim the MCU is fantastic, it at the very least has a solid track record.

But I'm not really interested in Aquaman anyway. I mean, it doesn't look like they're going the 'badass Khal Drogo Aquaman' route I feared they would, and actually have Jason Mamoa goof off a bit, but from what I've seen of it it still reminds of one of the later (Brendan Fraser) Mummy movies.

undeadsuitor:
So, it was amazing. But because it wasn't up it's own pretentious ass crying about dead parents you hated it?

sounds like it was just amazing then

Yes, I want it to have more depth then having a badguy stick his head in a toilet.

And I personally preferred if Aquaman was more like how he is characterized in the Justice League Cartoon and the Injustice Games.

This sounds like Batman: The Brave and the Bold was an influence in some way. I find that encouraging personally, their Aquaman was a champ.

Gordon_4:
This sounds like Batman: The Brave and the Bold was an influence in some way. I find that encouraging personally, their Aquaman was a champ.

Ehh not that that extreme no.

That's what the franchise has been doing since Suicide Squad, which was exactly the point where I gave up on it. Once you portray the Joker as an effeminate methhead you're not gonna recover.

I'm sorry it wasn't edgy enough for you.

Samtemdo8:
They worked HARD to make this movie look and feel NOTHING like the tone and visuals of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

Perfect, all I needed to see.

JUMBO PALACE:

Samtemdo8:
They worked HARD to make this movie look and feel NOTHING like the tone and visuals of Man of Steel and Batman v Superman.

What was your avatar before your current one?

I recognize your name but...

Kenbo Slice:

I just want it to be Kingdom Come, Superman Peace on Earth, and Justice in tone.

This is too, "2010s" for me.

Can we bring DC back to the 20th century please?

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

I just want it to be Kingdom Come, Superman Peace on Earth, and Justice in tone.

How do you mean too 2010s? We're in the 2010s! We've still got a year to go until we hit those dazzling futures the 2020s promise us

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

Nobody wants 90's edge back.

Kenbo Slice:

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

Coming from someone who's avatar is from the Death of Superman/Superman: Doomsday. The start of the 90s edge.

But I am mostly thinking of this when I say bring DC back to the 20th Century. Not the Silver Age, The Golden Age, or at least the look and feel of the Golden Age.

Wasn't particularly interested ever since I saw the trailers.

Looked too overstuffed, CGI looks a mixed bag and Mamoa doesn't look like leading man material.

I would love a good Aquaman movie, but this doesn't even look it. Not even if its on a cheesy, goofy level.

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

Samtemdo8:

Coming from someone who's avatar is from the Death of Superman/Superman: Doomsday. The start of the 90s edge.

But I am mostly thinking of this when I say bring DC back to the 20th Century. Not the Silver Age, The Golden Age, or at least the look and feel of the Golden Age.

Wow, now I know you don't read comics. It's from a more recent Red Hood & The Outlaws arc involving Bizarro (that's why the 'S' is backwards)

Kenbo Slice:

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

Wow, now I know you don't read comics. It's from a more recent Red Hood & The Outlaws arc involving Bizarro (that's why the 'S' is backwards)

Well Superman Doomsday also had a bloody S logo. I was wondering why the S was reveresed.

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

Samtemdo8:

Well Superman Doomsday also had a bloody S logo.

But not a backwards one, and it doesn't take a genius to figure out it's a reference to that arc.

Samtemdo8:

JUMBO PALACE:

Samtemdo8:

What was your avatar before your current one?

I recognize your name but...

It was a batman avatar

Samtemdo8:

See, you always bring up these same examples when you try to describe what you want...but those examples are always grand and bombastic affairs that absolutely accept the silliness of the medium and just run with it. It turns a band of heroes fighting a telepathic gorilla armed with a magic ring that makes shapes of light into an epic clash written the same as you would the Olympians against the Titans. And that sounds like exactly like what Aquaman is going for so why are you not a fan?

I think Aquaman has enough trouble being treated fairly as a lead by the general public without painting- almost introducing- his character as being brooding and serious.

I'll hold off on offering an opinion on the movie itself until I get to see the it next week, though.

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

See, you always bring up these same examples when you try to describe what you want...but those examples are always grand and bombastic affairs that absolutely accept the silliness of the medium and just run with it. It turns a band of heroes fighting a telepathic gorilla armed with a magic ring that makes shapes of light into an epic clash written the same as you would the Olympians against the Titans. And that sounds like exactly like what Aquaman is going for so why are you not a fan?

I actually want that, but taken far more seriously, and without the campyness.

I said it before and I will say it again, I just want something akin to Kingdom Come and Superman: Peace on Earth.

I take Superheroes seriously, I take the whole idea of "With Great Power comes Great Responsibility" seriously and apply it to Superman in particular.

To sum it up, I don't want Brave and the Bold Aquaman basically. I want Great Warrior King of Atlantis Aquaman.

Will probably watch The Hunky Merman when it's out on DVD and am high. That's not meant to be an insult towards the movie, it's just usually how I consume superhero films or action flicks in general. It's nice when things turn out alright and are liked by people, gives a more positive vibe in an often negative space. More people should like things!

(Unless it's David Cage)

*Frowns disapprovingly*

Samtemdo8:

*Frowns even more disapprovingly*

Jeebus! That is gaudy as hell, people honestly find that aesthetically pleasing??

Xsjadoblayde:
Will probably watch The Hunky Merman when it's out on DVD and am high. That's not meant to be an insult towards the movie, it's just usually how I consume superhero films or action flicks in general. It's nice when things turn out alright and are liked by people, gives a more positive vibe in an often negative space. More people should like things!

(Unless it's David Cage)

*Frowns disapprovingly*

Samtemdo8:

*Frowns even more disapprovingly*

Jeebus! That is gaudy as hell, people honestly find that aesthetically pleasing??

Yeah to be honest though I like it for its "classicalness" I am more of a Jim Lee/Ed Benes type of Art Style for Comic Book Superheroes, at least more modern depictions of them.

Samtemdo8:
Yeah to be honest though I like it for its "classicalness" I am more of a Jim Lee/Ed Benes type of Art Style for Comic Book Superheroes, at least more modern depictions of them.

A quick sneaky google on that does show more harmonious artstyles with attractive use of colour and shading. It seems that those translations to real life examples are probably contributing most to the gaudy look there. :)

Samtemdo8:

I said it before and I will say it again, I just want something akin to Kingdom Come and Superman: Peace on Earth.

The same Kingdom Come that features Batman commenting "So thats what thats like" when Superman pulls a stealth exit on him? The same Kingdom Come that has the Spectre, the Wrath of God himself, complaining about how the menu option named after him in a superhero restaurant is a spinach and cheese salad? The same Kingdom Come that is a savage deconstruction of the kind of grim grittyness that Waid and Ross disliked the rise of in comics?
Kingdom Come doesn't hide its campyness dude, it wears it like a badge

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

The same Kingdom Come that features Batman commenting "So thats what thats like"

That joke along with the others was done with far more class and subtlety, then a guy literally sticking his head in a toilet to breath the toilet water.

Samtemdo8:

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

The same Kingdom Come that features Batman commenting "So thats what thats like"

That joke along with the others was done with far more class and subtlety, then a guy literally sticking his head in a toilet to breath the toilet water.

Then what you're asking for isn't lack of camp, its higher quality camp

Oh, praise Beebo it's not up its own ass.

Something Amyss:

Okay but can we talk about legends of meow meow and how perfect it was

undeadsuitor:

Something Amyss:

Beebo is glorious

Natemans:

undeadsuitor:

Something Amyss:

Beebo is glorious

The Beebo fight was great but this took the cake

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

How can they do kingdom come before they do all the legwork of setting up the heroes in the first place? That'd be like if they did the Death of Superman before giving us one that would sadden us if he died in the first place (thankfully we Don't live in that kind of world).

jademunky:

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

How can they do kingdom come before they do all the legwork of setting up the heroes in the first place? That'd be like if they did the Death of Superman before giving us one that would sadden us if he died in the first place (thankfully we Don't live in that kind of world).

I didn't say "Do a Kingdom Come movie" I said "make your DC movies like Kingdom Come in look and tone"

Seriously though, if we all want the true DC universe in film.

WB only needs to look to Alex Ross' work.

Superman: Peace on Earth
Batman: War on Crime
Wonder Woman: Spirit of Truth
Shazam: The Power of Hope
JLA: Liberty and Justice.
Justice (2005)
And of course Kingdom Come.

I wish Alex Ross was working on the movies.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here