Favorite Historical Period and/or Event in whichever nation/culture?

Lets say if we treat world history like a work of fiction or story in general, which historical period and/or event in whichever culture you prefer is your favorite?

Me, I am a medievalist. Anything after the reign of Charlemagne up until the reign of Elizabeth I.

Same applies to Japan up to Tokugawa Shogunate, China up until the Ming Dynasty, and the Middle East until the rise of the Ottoman Empire.

The early medieval period is where it's at for me. Anything from the start of the Anglo-Saxon migration until the Normans arrived in 1066 to muck everything up.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Although I haven't done any 'research' on that for a decade and have spread my interest in history pretty wide

Since I am a geek, I like a lot of historical Japanese settings.

But if my avatar is any indication I have a soft spot for the American Revolution too.

CrazyGirl17:
Since I am a geek, I like a lot of historical Japanese settings.

But if my avatar is any indication I have a soft spot for the American Revolution too.

Is HBO John Adams a good series that is accurate to the events?

Three Kingdoms, Sengoku Japan, and ancient Greece, Rome, and the Norse.

Though US history, as an American is pretty neat, but I personally recommend everyone learn about your home country's history. How you got to where you are is very interesting, especially when you see how the past turned its future into your present. (Even if it then leads you to be bitter about how your government is ruining everything)

I love just about any piece of history but my favorite periods would be

The fall of the Roman Republic and the early Roman Empire

The Dutch golden age with a particular interest in Willian III and the Dutch leading role in fighting France and Louis XIV

The Japanese Sengoku Period

The Mongols

And some more that I'm probably forgetting.

As someone who is fascinated by firearms engineering I love the late 1800s and early 1900s as every government in the world was rushing to try and put semi-automatics into production. You get a lot of really interesting and weird designs from the period.

I'm a sucker for the Classical Antiquity. The Punic Wars, Alexander the Great, the conquests of Julius Caesar and Augustus, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Yup, that's my jam.

As for why? I blame all the Asterix comics I read as a kid.

Napoleonic War

Second Punic War

Fourth Crusade (because it was by-far the stupidest)

Mostly an ancient history guy, with a Masters Degree in Aegean Archaeology to back me up on that :D

British pop culture, 1960-1980, especially the early punk scene and the Mod/Rocker subcultures.

Dirty Hipsters:
As someone who is fascinated by firearms engineering I love the late 1800s and early 1900s as every government in the world was rushing to try and put semi-automatics into production. You get a lot of really interesting and weird designs from the period.

Borchardt... just the Borchardt.

Agreed and extended that to early aviation, it is amazing how quickly it went from the Wright flyer to pressurized high altitude aircraft. So many interesting concepts and weird forms of familiar technologies, it is more fun when technological progress is very visible rather than mostly internal.

On that note the development of the computer is also fun, to pin point an era I'd say Personal Computers from the 80's to the mid 2000's. The end of weirdness feels like it falls in between Apple starting to use Intel chips, and the release of Windows Vista.

Prime_Hunter_H01:

Dirty Hipsters:

Borchardt... just the Borchardt.

Agreed and extended that to early aviation, it is amazing how quickly it went from the Wright flyer to pressurized high altitude aircraft. So many interesting concepts and weird forms of familiar technologies, it is more fun when technological progress is very visible rather than mostly internal.

On that note the development of the computer is also fun, to pin point an era I'd say Personal Computers from the 80's to the mid 2000's. The end of weirdness feels like it falls in between Apple starting to use Intel chips, and the release of Windows Vista.

Yeah, I miss when toggle lock firearms were popular. They take so much precision construction and such tight tolerances.

Speaking of aircraft though, I'm always amazed by the fact that we had jets during the Korean war. It took less than 40 years between the first Wright Brothers flight and the first jet-engine airplane. How ridiculous is that?

Dirty Hipsters:

Speaking of aircraft though, I'm always amazed by the fact that we had jets during the Korean war. It took less than 40 years between the first Wright Brothers flight and the first jet-engine airplane. How ridiculous is that?

Consider that merely a decade after that in the Vietnam war, planes had guided missiles, and most of the modern weapons we associate with fighting aircraft. The Korean war was both the birth of the fighter jet and the death of classic dog fighting as a common occurrence. To someone not aware of aviation in the era, the idea of high speed jets engaging in WWII style dogfights would sound like fiction, yet that was reality.

Primarily the Neolithic to early Bronze Age, although that is oversimplifying things a bit (a lot). What actually interests me are the factors that brought about the shift from small, nomadic hunter-gatherer societies into what would eventually become known as Classical Civilisation. Not just the technological advances, but the social, environmental and spiritual changes as well.

I also have a long-standing interest in the First and Second World Wars, but I admit my interest in this area has waned over the years as I've become more and more enthralled in my Bronze Age studies.

I'm a sucker for Western history between 1912-1945.

If we're talking crime, 1930s all the way, though 1960s are pretty great, 70's/80s not too shabby either.

I don't mind the odd medieval story, but keep that dragons and magic shit well away thankyou (unless you're a whole fictional world like LOTR of Ice & Fire, then it's OK).

Oh, and pirates. Not the stupid Kraaken summoning undead skeleton kind- the actual, brass-balled raiders of the Spanish Main.

I don't really care about the Cold War, but the whole Space Race part of it is pretty rad. As is Berlin, but way more Man from UNCLE, way less Bridge of Spies, thanks.

Also still waiting for a film about Bushnell's Turtle, too.

I am personally very intrigued about what was going on around 13.8 billion years ago and beyond, give or take 21 mill. Unfortunately, nobody thought to hold on to their diaries for future archiving.

Dirty Hipsters:

When you think about vehicular technology in general, the evolution from a power output perspective from the first car to the first supersonic plane (in less than 70 years AFAIK) is indeed crazy when max horsepower up until this point (for some thousands of years) was about 6...!

jademunky:
Napoleonic War

Second Punic War

Yah, hi fivez...!

OT: Broadly speaking, all of it... the second I come across a tidbit of trivia that takes my interest (which could genuinely be anything, like I just watched the trailer for Mary Queen of Scots (2018) (YouTube ad...), I went off to read about the Rising in the North, James VI/I, life of Henry II (of France) etc. etc. even though ostensibly, I'm not that into this period of history in northern Europe, and then before that, can't remember how I ended up reading about Alfred Dreyfus).

And hey, I play the Total War series for a multitude of reasons, wanting to the learn about the periods in question (and subsequently pointing out all the crap you can get up to in-game plus all the inaccuracies) is one of the biggest.

Those periods and places I consider myself as knowing a little more than nothing though are: Graeco-Persian Wars; campaigns of Alexander the Great; Wars of the Diadochi/Pyrrhic Wars; Chronicles of the Three Kingdoms; mid/late Roman Republic & Early Roman Empire; Sengoku Jidai (which is funny, because I know next to nothing about Zhanguo Shidai!); Enlightenment Era Europe (military history); the Revolutions of 1848/Spring of Nations; & World War I/II.

And those I consider myself as knowing enough to teach kindergarten kids the basics of are: Second Punic War (basically the life & times of Publius Cornelius Scipio Africanus... or better yet, the life & times of Gaius Laelius, lulz); the rise & fall of the Duchy & Kingdom of Prussia (particularly the Wars of Unification); & French Revolutionary/Napoleonic Wars (particularly the Peninsular War, 6th & 7th Coalitions).

And those I think I should learn more about: classical histories of Vietnam, India & Korea; Steppe history in general.

I rather look into the future; but if I had to choose a romanticized version of the past, I like the Victorian era.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here