Is it weird/predatory for an 18 year old to date a 21 year old?

Pages PREV 1 2

CrazyDiamond:
Can 18/20 and 19/21 be predatory then

In theory, a 15 year old could prey on a 30 year old - it'd just be much less likely. Sexual predation (not including physical coercion) is really about exploiting psychological vulnerability. Obviously naivety is a very significant form of vulnerability the young are particularly prone to suffer, but there are plenty more.

Ages of consent basically reflect very general rules, sort of population trends. A random person of that age is sufficiently likely to be competent to consent under normal conditions that it may as well be the cutoff point.

Nope, not even remotely. Wouldn't even bat an eyelid at that. In fact I find it weirder that you'd even ask that question.

Silentpony:
No? 18 is considered legally...sexual, for lack of a better term.

16 is the age of consent in my country. :3

Samos205:

ebalosus:
Age of consent here in NZ is 16, but you'll only get the book thrown at you if you're like 25 and you sleep with a 13 year old. My former flatmate slept with a 15 year old when he was 30, and most people's reaction's around here were "that's pretty messed up" in a frowny way, not in a moralising way like sex offender christian politicians.

Wait, what? I thought it was 18 here? are you sure its 16?

it's 16 in both Australia and NZ. :3

Notably, it used to be 16 for different gender couples, but 18 for same gender couples in Queensland until fairly recently, and didn't the usual suspects make a fuss over getting it set on 16.

3 years of difference is nothing, if we're talking about adult people.

Yoshi178:

Samos205:

ebalosus:
Age of consent here in NZ is 16, but you'll only get the book thrown at you if you're like 25 and you sleep with a 13 year old. My former flatmate slept with a 15 year old when he was 30, and most people's reaction's around here were "that's pretty messed up" in a frowny way, not in a moralising way like sex offender christian politicians.

Wait, what? I thought it was 18 here? are you sure its 16?

it's 16 in both Australia and NZ. :3

Shows how much i know about my own country. I just assumed it was 18, since that was the alcohol age and i just assumed that was the consent age too.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here