Young Justice Outsiders: First thoughts?

I actually don't have much to say. The three eps were surprisingly short, which is I guess why they release them in threes? (why not just make the three one episode then)

But yeah, from the little we've seen, it looks like the writing and characters we all know and love are back, and can I say damn it feels good. Its almost been a decade since the first season! All these old cancelled shows making comebacks, what a time to be alive.

I do have one large problem though, and its with the animation quality. First, the art style. Personally, I fucking hate it. They look exactly like their DCAU versions, and I despise the DCAU's art style. Its just too overly complicated and overdesigned that it looks terrible. I miss the sleek figures and bold color schemes of the first and second seasons. The weird thing is that they seem to have a lower budget, so why go with these more complex designs? Are they somehow cheaper to animate? If anyone with knowledge about animation could chip in their thoughts that would be great.

Second, the animation itself. Its just plain not as good as the first two seasons. Even if you didn't like the story and characters of the previous seasons, you can't deny that most of the actions scenes are superbly animated. So fluid and dynamic. Here... they commit the ultimate sins of static camera angles and fucking shakey cam in an animated show. It's probably the lower budget again, this is DC after all and not Cartoon Network. But it is still disappointing, what got me into Young Justice back in high school was the impressive animation.

In the end while I do have my gripes I'm just glad we can get a continuation. I really do want to see Wally come back so I can have so goddamn closure.

Anyway, to the I assume few of you who watched it, what are your thoughts?

I liked it. The two year timeline push forward wasn't as jarring and I like how they're handling the characters. The meta human plot is very well told.

Well its only on DC's own-brand streaming service which isn't available in my country, so I'll let you know once I get my eyepatch and pegleg on

The first 3 episodes has established the setting well but nothing else. I was wondering why it didn't grip me and it's because the action has been more clandestine than superhero.

A lot of pieces moving about the board but no real action yet.

Palindromemordnilap:
Well its only on DC's own-brand streaming service which isn't available in my country, so I'll let you know once I get my eyepatch and pegleg on

its on dailymotion as well

as long as you dont mind reading flipped text

undeadsuitor:

Palindromemordnilap:

its on dailymotion as well

as long as you dont mind reading flipped text

Yes, managed to track it down and watch the six episodes that have been released. Flipped text isn't too bad for me, thankfully only had to pause it when they had some longer conversations between Bryon and Gregor

I personally don't like how dark it's getting, partly because I'm getting annoyed by the fans who think being "dark" is a signifier of quality. I get that they're not under the thumb of Cartoon Network anymore and they want to take advantage of their new freedom but holy hell, there is some crazy messed up stuff that happens. I'm expecting a certain consistency with the previous seasons but they really cranked the dial up.

Gatx:
I personally don't like how dark it's getting, partly because I'm getting annoyed by the fans who think being "dark" is a signifier of quality. I get that they're not under the thumb of Cartoon Network anymore and they want to take advantage of their new freedom but holy hell, there is some crazy messed up stuff that happens. I'm expecting a certain consistency with the previous seasons but they really cranked the dial up.

This season is about the team(s) stopping a meta-human trafficking ring/syndicate, so it was always going to be dark. And, to be fair, the first two seasons had some pretty messed up stuff as well (Secret, The Reach, mass kidnappings, torture and murder etc.), they just couldn't be as blatant about it.
Also, while Outsiders is pretty dark I don't feel that it's gone to obnoxious, edgy and grimdark levels just yet.

Bob_McMillan:
I do have one large problem though, and its with the animation quality. First, the art style. Personally, I fucking hate it. They look exactly like their DCAU versions, and I despise the DCAU's art style.

Young Justice Outsiders is not in the DCAU art style tho. The DCAU is Timmverse stuff like Batman TAS, Superman TAS and Justice League. You know ...

There are design differences, but I'd say old Young Justice looks more like the image above than new Young Justice. Outsiders looks like the newer animated movies. Interestingly, both the old art and the new were done by the same lead designer, Phil Bourassa, who is also the lead for those new movies. Thing is, old Young Justice came right after the DCAU ended, so I'm thinking perhaps DC wanted designs more or less in line with the latter to keep some visual continuity. Just conjecture tho.

That said, I'm not overly fond of the new art style either.

Chimpzy:
That said, I'm not overly fond of the new art style either.

Yeah, thats something I'm finding a bit off as well. Maybe I'm just used to the story dealing with younger characters whereas now most of the recurring cast are pretty well into adulthood but everyone seems...chunky. Like there's a touch of the Liefeld about them

Palindromemordnilap:
Yeah, thats something I'm finding a bit off as well. Maybe I'm just used to the story dealing with younger characters whereas now most of the recurring cast are pretty well into adulthood but everyone seems...chunky. Like there's a touch of the Liefeld about them

They have feet tho, didn't see many pouches, and guns don't seem to be bendy.

All jokes aside, there was a point in the second episode where I plain couldn't tell Superboy apart from Nightwing until Black Lightning called him by name.

Chimpzy:

Palindromemordnilap:

All jokes aside, there was a point in the second episode where I plain couldn't tell Superboy apart from Nightwing until Black Lightning called him by name.

Yeah, Nightwing and Superboy look like clones.

Marik2:

Chimpzy:

Palindromemordnilap:

Yeah, Nightwing and Superboy look like clones.

Phil Bourassa has same face syndrome bad and I personally think it has gotten worse. The dude is a good artist but I'm very sick of seeing his art in almost every DC animated media in the past six years

Chimpzy:
Young Justice Outsiders is not in the DCAU art style tho. The DCAU is Timmverse stuff like Batman TAS, Superman TAS and Justice League. You know ...

Well a lot of people call the recent slate (post Flashpoint) of DC movies the DCAU. Especially since the Timmverse isn't exactly being expanded anymore. I personally call the Timmverse the Timmverse, and the new DC Animated movies the DCAU, since unlike previous DC animated films, they all take place in the same universe.

Palindromemordnilap:

I wouldn't exactly call it chunky, but yeah all the shadowing and proportions make their slender bodies look stupidly muscular, which is what I think you're seeing.

PapaGreg096:

Phil Bourassa has same face syndrome bad and I personally think it has gotten worse. The dude is a good artist but I'm very sick of seeing his art in almost every DC animated media in the past six years

Its sad because he call this art style an "evolution" from the previous, when from pretty much everyone's standpoint this art style is worse.

There was however a very nice moment in Episode 4 where the old art style seemed to have come back, albeit in a static image. I liked it enough though to make it my desktop wallpaper.

OT: Speaking of the newer episodes, Eps 4-6 really brought back my confidence in this show. Ep 4 was funny and had all the great character moments and interactions I had been missing from the first season. Ep 5 had some decent worldbuilding and action. Ep 6 dropped a fucking BOMB (or two!) in its ending. Really excited now for the end of the week so I can catch up with Episodes 7 to 9.

Bob_McMillan:

Chimpzy:
Sniptimus Prime

Well a lot of people call the recent slate (post Flashpoint) of DC movies the DCAU. Especially since the Timmverse isn't exactly being expanded anymore. I personally call the Timmverse the Timmverse, and the new DC Animated movies the DCAU, since unlike previous DC animated films, they all take place in the same universe.

Apparently the new animated movies are officialy called the DCAMU.

Between this, DCAU and DCEU, I guess DC loves its sort of confusingly similar acronyms.

Bob_McMillan:

Palindromemordnilap:

I wouldn't exactly call it chunky, but yeah all the shadowing and proportions make their slender bodies look stupidly muscular, which is what I think you're seeing.

Probably something like. I just remember when the new design for Kaldur showed up thinking "Blimey, did he eat the old design for Kaldur?" I know S2 design was bigger than S1 design, but I'm still not sure this one should look that huge. Though with what you say maybe its the gold touches on his costume warping how I see him

Speaking of time skips turning characters chunks here is Tommy Terror

PapaGreg096:
Speaking of time skips turning characters chunks here is Tommy Terror

Jesus CHRIST, now that's some Liefeld shit right there.

It's pretty crash.

Marik2:
It's pretty crash.

The last few eps have been pretty great, altho I can't say any of them have reached the heights of the last seasons yet.

Enjoying it, especially given how trash Marvel's animated lineup has been getting. Especially love the subtle name drops early on ex:

The only thing that bothers me (albeit inconsistently) is something that really shouldn't: Foreknowledge of characters informing their role on the show. Like, the second they named Brion's sister, all pretense of urgency regarding what was going on with her just kind of disappeared for me, and that "revelation" at the end of the last batch of episodes was more of a "duh". Ditto for Goode Industries.
I mean, maybe bother isn't the right word? It just feels... off, knowing enough about stuff that your response to all of the intrigue that the plot focuses on is, "sounds about right". For whatever reason, that wasn't something I experienced in the previous seasons.
The banter with Icicle Jr. was great though.

I'm feeling the aster but I have a few problems with it.

-Too much characters and easter eggs, this was kinda of a problem in season 2 but I think he got worse in 3. It feels like Greg wants to show how expansive and big the DC universe is without expanding the characters just a little bit. Take Wonder Girl or Tim Drake for example both are very deep characters in the DC universe but sometimes I forget they exist in Young Justice, you can take the two of them out and not a lot would change. When I look at a character from the DC universe I don't see a fun Easter egg I see cheap fanservice. Also I'm going to nettled if I find out Static is going to have a miniscule of screen time

-Important plot points between time skips, funny enough this isn't AS bad as season 2 but its still not good. When I notice that Barbara became Oracle I was kinda miffed that the most important event in her character was just skipped also it feels weird seeing Roy Harper willing work with private security, last time I saw him the dude was a mess but now he seems more composed.

-I'm so tired of Phil Bourassa artwork, dude has sameface syndrome bad(who else thought Traci 13 was Mgaan) and the characters are soooooooooooooo static, remember how Victor was pissed of with his father not spending time with him, the voice actor nailed the delivery but the art and animation was so lifeless.

PapaGreg096:

-Too much characters and easter eggs, this was kinda of a problem in season 2 but I think he got worse in 3. It feels like Greg wants to show how expansive and big the DC universe is without expanding the characters just a little bit. Take Wonder Girl or Tim Drake for example both are very deep characters in the DC universe but sometimes I forget they exist in Young Justice, you can take the two of them out and not a lot would change. When I look at a character from the DC universe I don't see a fun Easter egg I see cheap fanservice. Also I'm going to nettled if I find out Static is going to have a miniscule of screen time

-I'm so tired of Phil Bourassa artwork, dude has sameface syndrome bad(who else thought Traci 13 was Mgaan) and the characters are soooooooooooooo static, remember how Victor was pissed of with his father not spending time with him, the voice actor nailed the delivery but the art and animation was so lifeless.

The too many characters thing, I agree on some level. I think its perfectly okay to have a gigantic roster of heroes as long as we stick to a core group of interesting characters, ala Justice League Unlimited. However that we haven't even really met the main team yet in the show is a sign of just how many "main" characters there are. They're trying to focus on so many different characters they all come off as half baked.

And with the artwork, yup, hard same. My family has just recently rewatched the first two seasons and characters are just so much more expressive. I still can't tell if its the new art style, a lower budget, or what. I'd sure like to know what's going on behind the scenes.

ccggenius12:

The only thing that bothers me (albeit inconsistently) is something that really shouldn't: Foreknowledge of characters informing their role on the show. Like, the second they named Brion's sister, all pretense of urgency regarding what was going on with her just kind of disappeared for me, and that "revelation" at the end of the last batch of episodes was more of a "duh". Ditto for Goode Industries.
I mean, maybe bother isn't the right word? It just feels... off, knowing enough about stuff that your response to all of the intrigue that the plot focuses on is, "sounds about right". For whatever reason, that wasn't something I experienced in the previous seasons.

Yeah I have to agree. Any of the surprises in the show come from revelations and easter eggs that don't really add to the main plot. Although I wonder if this is due to my familiarity with DC and the show in general, my sisters who watch it as well don't immediately pick up on things like I do.

Bob_McMillan:

The too many characters thing, I agree on some level. I think its perfectly okay to have a gigantic roster of heroes as long as we stick to a core group of interesting characters, ala Justice League Unlimited. However that we haven't even really met the main team yet in the show is a sign of just how many "main" characters there are. They're trying to focus on so many different characters they all come off as half baked.

I was under the impression that Brion/Geo-Force, Violet/Halo Fred Bugg(with two G's)/Forager and Black Lightning are the main team, in addition to Artemis and Dick.

Fred Bugg with two Gs is annoying. He's a character that should have only been made if Young Justice was still with Cartoon Network.

twistedmic:

Bob_McMillan:

I was under the impression that Brion/Geo-Force, Violet/Halo Fred Bugg(with two G's)/Forager and Black Lightning are the main team, in addition to Artemis and Dick.

I consider them the Outsiders, and the team led by Miss M Young Justice (or the main team). I dunno, its all rather confusing! But I think its a little sad that we aren't developing any of the new characters we got last season, especially considering many of them were actual founding members of Young Justice.

Marik2:
Fred Bugg with two Gs is annoying. He's a character that should have only been made if Young Justice was still with Cartoon Network.

True. He's not particularly a very interesting character, both in personality and abilities. I've never even heard of him before, so I wonder what the motivation was to have him in the team.

Bob_McMillan:

Marik2:

True. He's not particularly a very interesting character, both in personality and abilities. I've never even heard of him before, so I wonder what the motivation was to have him in the team.

The science lady also annoyed me. She wouldn't shut up about the kids and kept saying sorry for everything.

Bob_McMillan:

twistedmic:

Bob_McMillan:

I consider them the Outsiders, and the team led by Miss M Young Justice (or the main team). I dunno, its all rather confusing! But I think its a little sad that we aren't developing any of the new characters we got last season, especially considering many of them were actual founding members of Young Justice.

Marik2:

He's a character from the New Gods which are involved in the plot for this season. It makes sense to include him.

Agent_Z:

He's a character from the New Gods which are involved in the plot for this season. It makes sense to include him.

Yeah I just realized it was him. He looks completely different from his comic version, so I didn't recognize him.

Bob_McMillan:

Agent_Z:

Yeah I just realized it was him. He looks completely different from his comic version, so I didn't recognize him.

Given that Forager normally looks basically just like a dude I can see why they switched it up a bit to make him more insect-like given that he is supposed to be a bug (with one G). Just adds a bit of variety to the line up

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here