Make your own DLC 'true' ending to your choice of entertainment.

Pages PREV 1 2

This might be cheating slightly since the sequel trilogy isn't finnished yet, but i would make an alternate ending to TLJ where Rey joins Kylo to try to create a new way of the force that breaks with the dualism of the Jedi and Sith. Feels like it would be a much better setup for episode IX than the ending we ended up with

Most of the examples I can think of aren't even DLC. It is an instance where I wish something had stopped, but instead continued and overstayed its welcome. Is that a thing, DLC that erases content? Like a DLC patch that quickly wraps up Bioshock after the Andrew Ryan scene? Because the last season of Babylon 5 needed that DLC. The last 4 seasons of the X-Files needed that DLC. Carnivale only needed to erase about 4 minutes of the final episode to be a perfectly self-contained story. What should we call that? Negative DLC, anti-DLC, stain-removal DLC?

Kyrian007:
Most of the examples I can think of aren't even DLC. It is an instance where I wish something had stopped, but instead continued and overstayed its welcome. Is that a thing, DLC that erases content? Like a DLC patch that quickly wraps up Bioshock after the Andrew Ryan scene? Because the last season of Babylon 5 needed that DLC. The last 4 seasons of the X-Files needed that DLC. Carnivale only needed to erase about 4 minutes of the final episode to be a perfectly self-contained story. What should we call that? Negative DLC, anti-DLC, stain-removal DLC?

I think the most appropriate name for such a DLC would be an "Editor's cut"

trunkage:
You know they copied that from New Vegas right? Just replace nuke for Hoover Dam fight? Also you enter the same place despite being on four different sides of the war. It doesn't matter which side you pick, roboarmy is not in your hands and you no longer control the Mojave destiny.

Why didn't I just take control of the robots and sat them on the dam and force each side to negotiate? Wouldn't have that been easier? Wasn't that their purpose?

I honestly did not know that. Never owned or completed it, only played about halfway through on a friend's copy a long time ago and remember the Vegas part of Vegas being so underwhelming that the desire to ever go back never materialised again. I assumed due to the amount of love it gets, surely the narrative side was spotless all the way through. That surely people don't maintain double standards when it comes to criticism of their darlings. Perhaps an incorrect assumption there, it would seem.

Edit: Would like to add another grievance a DLC would fix, and that is the recent Hitman titles and their bloody time-limited contracts where even if you buy the full game of the year edition all of them are still locked out cause 'oh diddums were you too poor to buy this shit as soon as it came out? Well fuck you, unwashed peasant!" (Ok, it's just my mind saying that, but no other game does this). They keep a whole menu dedicated to every one of the bastards purely so you can look over everything you'll never be able to access...see that cool looking Sean Bean assassination mission? Oopsie! Should've paid up sooner, fuckface...but we're still gonna dangle it here in the """complete""" version of the game as a reminder of your treacherous financial shortcomings.

Excuse the French. It's the only peaceful method of venting frustration whilst explaining.

Xsjadoblayde:

trunkage:
You know they copied that from New Vegas right? Just replace nuke for Hoover Dam fight? Also you enter the same place despite being on four different sides of the war. It doesn't matter which side you pick, roboarmy is not in your hands and you no longer control the Mojave destiny.

Why didn't I just take control of the robots and sat them on the dam and force each side to negotiate? Wouldn't have that been easier? Wasn't that their purpose?

I honestly did not know that. Never owned or completed it, only played about halfway through on a friend's copy a long time ago and remember the Vegas part of Vegas being so underwhelming that the desire to ever go back never materialised again. I assumed due to the amount of love it gets, surely the narrative side was spotless all the way through. That surely people don't maintain double standards when it comes to criticism of their darlings. Perhaps an incorrect assumption there, it would seem.

Not that it didn't have it's faults, I think that New Vegas gave the 3 different sides more believable motivations, goals and rivalries. You could understand what they wanted and why.

Trouble with 4 was that the main bad guy seemed both comically evil and incompetent. Yes, we have teleportation, advanced AI, we live in a complex that's basically fucking star trek, and what are we going to do with it? Fuck with a bunch of mud eating peasants and steal their rusty screws.
And everyone else was so deathly afraid of them that you could take over their home base, have all that knowledge and power and "nope, too dangerous, we gotta blow it up..."

Factions in NV were obstinate and unwilling to reason with each other. Factions in 4 were just straight up fuckwits.

Also robo army ending up in your hands and using them to take control of the dam was very specifically one of the endings. Not sure where Trunkage got that.

A little post epilogue to see how 2B, 9S, and A2 are doing after being resurrected.

An aleternate scenario in Legend of Korra where she actually has to gain back all of her bending elements instead of the ass pull in season 1.

Godzilla: Planet Eater:
Have our hero Haruo pull himself together and punch Metphies in the face and rip that thing out of his eye in the middle of his nihilistic pretentious monologue.

Skyrim: give us a third path for the civil war plot. Fuck the Stormcloaks, fuck the Empire, and take the fight straight to the Thalmor as the chosen of Talos. I'm the motherfucking Dragonborn, my Voice is death and I consumed the soul of the World-Eater Alduin. We should be talking full-on "Ensiferum song about this" in battle, not a glorified errand-runner for whichever group of assholes you hate least.

ME3: yeah, this one should be pretty obvious. Cut the whole Starchild shit and the "pick an unexplained red/blue/green ending" Deus Ex Machina thing and fight the Reapers with the tools we have. Hell, it was actually coming close to that during the finale on Earth, the stuff you see with the unified fleet and the mixed infantry on the ground is how I want it to work out. Clarify that past cycles have always turned into an "every man for yourself" shitshow with the various galactic powers fighting each other as much as the Reapers so the whole plot arc of Shepard uniting the galaxy actually pays off.

CoCage:

An aleternate scenario in Legend of Korra where she actually has to gain back all of her bending elements instead of the ass pull in season 1.

I'd second that.

I don't want to spoil it because it's still relatively new, but I would patch out the entire last season of Voltron Legendary Defender.

I'd also rewrite Harry Potter so Neville got the credit he deserved.

Something Amyss:
I don't want to spoil it because it's still relatively new, but I would patch out the entire last season of Voltron Legendary Defender.

This is a bit off-topic, but can you give some hints?

I ask because I'm currently watching the second season of VLD. Overall, the first two seasons are...fine, I guess, but I really don't get what the fuss is about. If the series is going to go downhill from here, might save me some time.

Hawki:

Something Amyss:

This is a bit off-topic, but can you give some hints?

I ask because I'm currently watching the second season of VLD. Overall, the first two seasons are...fine, I guess, but I really don't get what the fuss is about. If the series is going to go downhill from here, might save me some time.

If you found the first two seasons to be fine, you may be done by the end of season 3. I'm a fan of the show, but 3 seemed...meandering. I mostly liked the show, but felt 3 was weak and 7...well, it felt like a different show is the biggest non-spoiler.

I'm having trouble quantifying it beyond that without getting detailed.

Something Amyss:

If you found the first two seasons to be fine, you may be done by the end of season 3. I'm a fan of the show, but 3 seemed...meandering. I mostly liked the show, but felt 3 was weak and 7...well, it felt like a different show is the biggest non-spoiler.

I'm having trouble quantifying it beyond that without getting detailed.

Guess I'll put it this way.

On one hand, the characters themselves are quite enjoyable. However, if I had to boil down my gripes with the show, it would come down to:

-There's no real sense of scale or worldbuilding. Many shows are guilty of this as well (the whole "sci-fi writers have no sense of scale" trope), but when we have a setting where we have a multi-galaxy spanning empire, and where the characters can easily hop from one galaxy to the next (stating as much when Zarkon is tracking the Black Lion), it really makes it hard to get a grip on the setting. Like, apparently the Galra Empire spans galaxies, but one ship can pose a threat. Even with Voltron, this is really stretching things.

-The plot pacing is a bit weird. Season 1 had focus in that it was explicitly based on getting the paladins ready to fight Zarkon, and Shiro wisely states that they should start off small (which circumstance forces them to abandon). Comes season 2, they're already planning to take out Zarkon once and for all towards the end. Like, what happened to baby steps.

If season 3 is meandering I guess it doesn't solve the second problem, but if the first gets better, that could help. Like I said, I like the characters, but the lack of 'meat' in the worldbuilding is putting me off. When I think of stuff like Avatar or Dragon Prince, these are examples where we get a firm foundation for the setting in addition to interesting characters within it.

A true ending, huh?

That's simple, The Legacy of Kain. Call it The Legacy of Kain: Redemption, presumably as an add-on for Defiance.

General premise would be Kain determining who would be in line to take the positions of the guardians of the Pillars (using the time streaming device), arranging their protection and being turned vamp, finishing off the Elder God for good, then making one final trip to Avernus Cathedral to drop off the Soul Reaver after Defiance Kain picked it up but before Blood Omen Kain picked it up (thus preventing a massive paradox that undoes the entire series, and ensuring the whole Reaver containing an infinite number of Raziels bit which is why both it and he are unique). Then he can proceed to the Pillars and finally off himself, causing the new guardians to take the reigns, closing the door to the Hylden, and leaving some tiny ray of hope for that shithole of a world. End on a note of "things are still shitty, but there's now a route to fix them."

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here