Name of this movie

My girlfriend is trying to remember the name of a movie she watched a few years ago. It takes place long ago in ancient China or Japan, some guy goes off to war and has his legs and arms amputated (or lost them in battle), and his wife, basically a slave to him watches him drown in the end. Anyone know the name?

It's more than likely Caterpillar from 2010.

Thank you, Frezzato! You nailed it!

Ok, got another one (different from the film identified in this thread previously.) I believe this is a relatively recent film, i.e.: released within the past year or two, but not certain. I can only recall one scene and those details are very generic; obscene amount of ambiguity to follow:

Some guy has some military (spec ops/training) background (think Jason Bourne) and is [apparently] laying "civilian life" low in an apartment building where he's established one of those "close-but-distant" relationship with a neighbor kid/young adult. Anyways, as the movie progresses, the guy is pursued by some agency, and we discover he has a hidden room in his apartment; it's established once when he hides in it and again when, later in the film, the neighbor kid gets into the guy's apartment unawares that the guy's not there and that the "whatever" agency is on their way there for the guy. The guy sees the kid via remote camera, contacts him via phone (I think) at which time he instructs the kid on how to access the hidden room. He complies, and I think tension ensues as the "whatever" agency is combing the apartment, and the kid exits the hidden room too soon or one of the agency guys hears him inside the room and suspects the apartment is NOT empty and hangs around/pretends to leave and the kid comes out of the room too soon.

My apologies; that's a lot of words to say so very little; rest assured, I'm not proud of it. My hope is that someone in here might be able to piece the vagueness into a cogent premise and identify what I watched; you're a smart group. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The hidden room is behind a two-way mirror! I'm absolutely, positively pretty sure!!

Xprimentyl:
Ok, got another one (different from the film identified in this thread previously.) I believe this is a relatively recent film, i.e.: released within the past year or two, but not certain. I can only recall one scene and those details are very generic; obscene amount of ambiguity to follow:

Some guy has some military (spec ops/training) background (think Jason Bourne) and is [apparently] laying ?civilian life? low in an apartment building where he?s established one of those ?close-but-distant? relationship with a neighbor kid/young adult. Anyways, as the movie progresses, the guy is pursued by some agency, and we discover he has a hidden room in his apartment; it?s established once when he hides in it and again when, later in the film, the neighbor kid gets into the guy?s apartment unawares that the guy?s not there and that the ?whatever? agency is on their way there for the guy. The guy sees the kid via remote camera, contacts him via phone (I think) at which time he instructs the kid on how to access the hidden room. He complies, and I think tension ensues as the ?whatever? agency is combing the apartment, and the kid exits the hidden room too soon or one of the agency guys hears him inside the room and suspects the apartment is NOT empty and hangs around/pretends to leave and the kid comes out of the room too soon.

My apologies; that?s a lot of words to say so very little; rest assured, I?m not proud of it. My hope is that someone in here might be able to piece the vagueness into a cogent premise and identify what I watched; you?re a smart group. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: The hidden room is behind a two-way mirror! I?m absolutely, positively pretty sure!!

It sounds alot like Orphan X (2016), but I thought that was a novel, by Gregg Hurwitz.

It could have been made into a film?

the December King:

Xprimentyl:
SNIP

It sounds alot like Orphan X (2016), but I thought that was a novel, by Gregg Hurwitz.

It could have been made into a film?

Thanks for the response! But alas, that's not it. My girlfriend and I did figure it out last night, though; it was The Equalizer 2

huh, fair enough.

It totally did happen in Orphan X too, oddly enough (or maybe not, the "Bond/Bourne/Reacher" secret-agent/ spy genre probably has it's own tropy-tropes).

Xprimentyl:
Thanks for the response! But alas, that's not it. My girlfriend and I did figure it out last night, though; it was The Equalizer 2

Are those films alright, do you think? Have been interested but also hear quite mixed things about them. Denzel Washington is always great in whatever he's in, so there's at least a garuntee of enjoyment in that regard.

Neurotic Void Melody:

Xprimentyl:

Are those films alright, do you think? Have been interested but also hear quite mixed things about them. Denzel Washington is always great in whatever he's in, so there's at least a garuntee of enjoyment in that regard.

Both films are highly entertaining, but I've qualified myself in multiple threads about movies as someone who's standards for film are fairly... I don't want to say "low," so I'll say "not very high." They're basically what the title implies; Denzel plays a simple man who's clandestinely a righter of wrongs using an impeccable and ruthlessly lethal skill set; great action film with great acting (like you said, it IS Denzel; he doesn't waste his time often.) I'd offer you a more in depth analysis, but honestly I'm not qualified; maybe someone (Hawki?) can say more, but I'll simply offer I personally found them to be lots of fun, best consumed with copious amounts of popcorn.

Xprimentyl:
Both films are highly entertaining, but I've qualified myself in multiple threads about movies as someone who's standards for film are fairly... I don't want to say "low," so I'll say "not very high." They're basically what the title implies; Denzel plays a simple man who's clandestinely a righter of wrongs using an impeccable and ruthlessly lethal skill set; great action film with good acting. I wish I could offer you more in depth analysis, but honestly I'm not qualified; maybe someone (Hawki?) can say more, but I'll simply offer I personally found them to be lots of fun, best consumed with popcorn.

Oh, that's no problem at all, an in-depth analysis was in no way expected and I kinda prefer a more laid back style when it comes to hearing opinions anyway. Am just heading out for a movie shop 'n watch today so if they have any of these two in store, will definitely be giving them a go this evening as some popcorn fun is certainly appreciated when it's done well with talented peoples. Thankyou! XD

Neurotic Void Melody:

Xprimentyl:
Both films are highly entertaining, but I've qualified myself in multiple threads about movies as someone who's standards for film are fairly... I don't want to say "low," so I'll say "not very high." They're basically what the title implies; Denzel plays a simple man who's clandestinely a righter of wrongs using an impeccable and ruthlessly lethal skill set; great action film with good acting. I wish I could offer you more in depth analysis, but honestly I'm not qualified; maybe someone (Hawki?) can say more, but I'll simply offer I personally found them to be lots of fun, best consumed with popcorn.

Oh, that's no problem at all, an in-depth analysis was in no way expected and I kinda prefer a more laid back style when it comes to hearing opinions anyway. Am just heading out for a movie shop 'n watch today so if they have any of these two in store, will definitely be giving them a go this evening as some popcorn fun is certainly appreciated when it's done well with talented peoples. Thankyou! XD

Great! Hope you enjoy them as much as I did. I suggest you watch the first one, well, FIRST. It's the better of the two (imho) and it serves as the necessary build up to establishing who Denzel is in the second where the film basically hits the ground running.

If you can forgive a minor hijacking - I've been thinking of my "family movie nights" growing up that, due to the fact that there isn't a blockbuster every week, involved a lot of shit weird movies. I've been trying to remember the name of a movie where people have organic "ports" installed in them, and hook themselves up to weird pancreas looking organs which let them experience a full immersion game. At one point they go into a resturaunt in the game, a guy eats a pile of cooked frog whatevers, makes a gun out of the bones and blows half a guys face off with the fantastic one liner "there was something in my food".

I swear to god nobody has heard of this movie but I have to know if it was a weird preteen acid dream or what.

EvilRoy:
If you can forgive a minor hijacking - I've been thinking of my "family movie nights" growing up that, due to the fact that there isn't a blockbuster every week, involved a lot of shit weird movies. I've been trying to remember the name of a movie where people have organic "ports" installed in them, and hook themselves up to weird pancreas looking organs which let them experience a full immersion game. At one point they go into a resturaunt in the game, a guy eats a pile of cooked frog whatevers, makes a gun out of the bones and blows half a guys face off with the fantastic one liner "there was something in my food".

I swear to god nobody has heard of this movie but I have to know if it was a weird preteen acid dream or what.

I was thinking Gattaca because I knew Jude Law was in this scene you mentioned, but I knew that wasn't it, so after 30 seconds of google, Existenz

Here's the scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKkCMDaN54

Edit: boooo, that's just him building the gun, here's the shooting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssM67LXOwQw

Wintermute:

EvilRoy:

I was thinking Gattaca because I knew Jude Law was in this scene you mentioned, but I knew that wasn't it, so after 30 seconds of google, Existenz

Here's the scene in question:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQKkCMDaN54

Edit: boooo, that's just him building the gun, here's the shooting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssM67LXOwQw

Oh my god it was real. And it got a 7 out of ten. Wow. Thanks for helping me find that! I'm gonna watch this thing to try to remember why we turned it off.

I've decided to review every movie released from 1990 to 2007 to track down all the movies I watched this way. Picked 95 to gauge the time it'll take. More than 3000 films, and I can't skip any because so many of the movies we watched were such abject trash that assuming I only saw the highly rated ones guarantees I will miss the majority. I'll... be back in a bit.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here