Poll: Which era of Cartoon Network shows was better?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Cartoon Network died to me the day Camp Lazlo began to air. Toonami died to me the day Naruto aired. Adult Swim died to me when their stopped airing their cooler shows like Boondocks, Metalocalypse, and Venture Bros.

Sure some decent cartoons came and went afterward like Ben 10 and Total Drama, but the quality was not the same.

And don't get me STARTED on animation quality. And I am still sad that Sym Bionic Titan got cancelled.

But in the end, I think its more to do with the fact that well, I grew up that I stop caring about whatever new cartoons come out, of course unless they actually have something going for them that appeals to me despite my age. Steven Universe does not appeal to me. Adventure Time does not appeal to me. Rick and Morty does not appeal to me.

Those two options are honestly the same so idk

Like, I think there's two shows from each I give a crap about.

And now I feel old. Get off my lawn, you punk kids!

Do stuff like Sailor Moon and DBZ belong? I mean, CN definitely didn't produce them (but I'm not sure about others - how much does CN produce under its banner versus acquiring?)

Y'know, it's funny - I started off writing that I couldn't give a fair response because I'd barely seen any of the Gen Z stuff, but then I started counting, and...yeah.

Anyway, I can't really say. There's good and bad in each. I can't be bothered to count or tally them, so, I dunno - call it a tie.

Y clearly. How is this even a question?

Silentpony:

Because people would dare claim that Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Rick and Morty are far superior to Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Because people would dare claim that Adventure Time, Steven Universe, and Rick and Morty are far superior to Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Ed, Edd, n Eddy.

To them I say this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67JpMyrOVE

Samtemdo8:

Detest Adventure Time. However, I have little love for EEE - I'd put the likes of Gumball and Clone Wars above everything on that list.

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

While Rick and morty has a dubious place on that list, I dare say AT and SU are much more memorable in their characters and content that their earlier counterparts.

Like outside of that one movie did Dexter have an arc? Did the powerful girls ever fight anything that wasn't defeated in a 15 minute episode? No, because that wasn't really the point of those shows. They were just clever vehicles for clever jokes and nothing more.

Personally it's like comparing apples to oranges. Though I will say that I enjoyed and cared about the characters in Steven universe more than I ever did Dexters lab. And I loved Dexters lab.

But, I can definitely say that AT and SU are leagues better than anything in dexters laboratory where dexters lab coat has one button.

I can't wait to regale the young'uns about the simpler, halcyon days of people screaming about the 'Y2K bug'.

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

While Rick and morty has a dubious place on that list, I dare say AT and SU are much more memorable in their characters and content that their earlier counterparts.

Like outside of that one movie did Dexter have an arc? Did the powerful girls ever fight anything that wasn't defeated in a 15 minute episode? No, because that wasn't really the point of those shows. They were just clever vehicles for clever jokes and nothing more.

Personally it's like comparing apples to oranges. Though I will say that I enjoyed and cared about the characters in Steven universe more than I ever did Dexters lab. And I loved Dexters lab.

But, I can definitely say that AT and SU are leagues better than anything in dexters laboratory where dexters lab coat has one button.

We never speak of Dexter's Lab seasons 3 and 4...

Dexter's Lab ended with Ego Trip.

Look guys its simple. Any list that has Courage the Cowardly Dog, Justice League, Teen Titans, Gundam Wing and Samurai fucking Jack wins. The other list could be God, blowjobs, eternal life and infinite money and it'd still lose.

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Adventure Time craps on PPG and Dexters Lab.

Y has more good shows, but Z has more shows that are really good. Adventure Time and Steven Universe are amazing and show that cartoons can have plot advancement. Y definitely has better 'episodic' cartoons though. Z has a lot more great 'meta-humor' stuff though, with shows like Chowder and Gumball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuK53N0z5Nc

I think the real lesson here is...Cartoon Network is way better than Nickelodeon.

Saelune:
Y has more good shows, but Z has more shows that are really good. Adventure Time and Steven Universe are amazing and show that cartoons can have plot advancement. Y definitely has better 'episodic' cartoons though. Z has a lot more great 'meta-humor' stuff though, with shows like Chowder and Gumball.

I think the real lesson here is...Cartoon Network is way better than Nickelodeon.

See I saw the So This is Basically Adventure Time before I watched the show, and I just couldn't take it seriously. All the flaws pointed out were just so glaring I had to stop

I think there is a total of five or six shows I recognize on that list and even less that I've actually watched but I gotta say, Gez Z has the better posters. They're so....colorful and lovely.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

See I saw the So This is Basically Adventure Time before I watched the show, and I just couldn't take it seriously. All the flaws pointed out were just so glaring I had to stop

I feel like some of the mentioned flaws get addressed after season 6(which was the worst season)

If we cross out any show that appeared on Toonami or Adult Swim (I know Adult Swim is a separate entity from Cartoon Network, but I'm not too sure if Toonami was separate) because they were different programming blocks, I'd have to go with Gen Y edging out Gen Z by a slim margin.
I like roughly the same number of shows for each generation but the mere existence of Teen Titans Go poisons Gen Z for me.

I can say safely say that 4chan memes were better before they were all Wojak variations, that's for sure. Not too sure about cartoons. In terms of visuals they certainly peaked in the 90s, it's a trite phrase but looking at the animation on shows like Animaniacs, Batman, various Disney properties or Tiny Toons... man, they don't make them like this anymore.

In terms of writing and overall creativity cartoons are pretty good these days, though. I'm not quite the target audience for shows like Steven Universe or Adventure Time but I think kids are quite lucky to grow up with them. I think Over the Garden Wall is one of the best cartoons ever made.

Of course there's also a whole bunch of crap but it's not like there wasn't when I was a kid. I had to suffer through Angela Anaconda and the Texas Avery Show. Also, there was this really awful show named XDuckx back then which I find so little about online that I am half convinced it was a bad dream.

Silentpony:

Saelune:

Your loss not mine.

Addendum_Forthcoming:
I can't wait to regale the young'uns about the simpler, halcyon days of people screaming about the 'Y2K bug'.

Frankly, I'd rather go back to the Y2K scare than have the insanity of the modern world. :(

Silentpony:

Watches video...

...yep, pretty much.

Said it before, I'll say it again, if Adventure Time is as good as everyone says, it's a level of quality that isn't in the first two seasons. And if I need to wait three seasons for a show to get tolerable (not good, TOLERABLE)...yeah, not buying it.

PapaGreg096:

Samtemdo8:

Silentpony:

Name me one episode in Adventure Time that can rival Last But Not Beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WLU-WlPUug

Hawki:

Watches video...

...yep, pretty much.

Said it before, I'll say it again, if Adventure Time is as good as everyone says, it's a level of quality that isn't in the first two seasons. And if I need to wait three seasons for a show to get tolerable (not good, TOLERABLE)...yeah, not buying it.

Reminds me of, what was it, FF13 that gets really good, 40hours in?
Or at least for me, Game of Thrones. I watched the first season, stopped, and picked it up in the most recent one. Didn't care about anything in between. It was all filler until the dragons and zombies finally do something.

Left column, though I don't recognize half the stuff on the right column.

Okay, let's give this a rundown:

Y:
I watched every show on that list except Space Ghost, Gundam and YuYuHakush-hashu-hakusho? I'd say they vary from good to great, except Cow & Chicken who revels in that certain, gross out, 90s edge, that might not be your cup of tea(i liked it back then).
Oh and, the "reboot" seasons of Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo. Avoid these.

Z:
Okay, here i can actually bother with a short list, about those i actually seen:

Chowder - meh
Flapjack - good, if you find certain weirdness to it enticing.
Total Drama (Island?) - pass
Clone Wars - It seemed alright for a SW cartoon.
Adventure Time - now, maybe because i'm crazy, but i actually liked AT more when it was about a pig riding a Twinkie, and having weird, non-sequitur adventures, instead of THE GREAT OVERARCHING PLOT in later seasons. Anyone else? No? Okay.
Regular Show - Good.
Teen Titans GO - eh
Over The Garden Wall - now this, this a masterpiece. Not being ironic here. Just go watch it. Big chef kiss *mwwah*.
Steven Universe - Only seen first season. It was cute.
Gumball - this show doesn't get enough recognition imho(or does it? maybe i'm not just hearing about it enough.). It's the best show a channel called Cartoon Network could offer, because it makes the best of "cartoony". Fun, efortessly quirky, eclectic animation.

So yeah, Y Gen wins for me(Represent!), but there are shows in Z definitely worth watching, if you still give a crap about toons.

Samtemdo8:
Cartoon Network died to me the day Camp Lazlo began to air. Toonami died to me the day Naruto aired. Adult Swim died to me when their stopped airing their cooler shows like Boondocks, Metalocalypse, and Venture Bros.

Sure some decent cartoons came and went afterward like Ben 10 and Total Drama, but the quality was not the same.

And don't get me STARTED on animation quality. And I am still sad that Sym Bionic Titan got cancelled.

But in the end, I think its more to do with the fact that well, I grew up that I stop caring about whatever new cartoons come out, of course unless they actually have something going for them that appeals to me despite my age. Steven Universe does not appeal to me. Adventure Time does not appeal to me. Rick and Morty does not appeal to me.

Venture Bros. is still airing though.

Honestly I've thought of both sides as equals.

Both sides have their great, good, meh or plain just awful. Happens from time to time. Many channels go from their ups or downs.

Y. Dexter's Laboratory, Powerpuff Girls, Cow and Chicken, Samurai Jack, and Johnny Bravo were all shows I grew up watching... but most of all, the king of them all, Courage the Cowardly Dog.

In the Z column, Adventure Time and Regular Show are both good, and Over the Garden Wall was great, though it was a limited run with only the one story-line so it doesn't quite compete.

Tough call. There are great shows on both sides... But the current Cartoon Network schedule is... lacking, to say the least. The channel is outright neglecting it's good shows for the same stuff over and over again.

Not to mention shilling out Teen Titans Go to a ludicrous degree. Yes, I know people seem to like that show and get touchy when people talk smack about it. I can't stand Teen Titans Go, but I probably wouldn't have so much of a problem with it if Cartoon Network wouldn't air the show so damn much!

(Can't wait for Teen Titans vs Teen Titans Go, though.)

Silentpony:
Reminds me of, what was it, FF13 that gets really good, 40hours in?

Samtemdo8:

PapaGreg096:

Samtemdo8:

Name me one episode in Adventure Time that can rival Last But Not Beast.

"The Jiggler", "Evicted!","What Is Life?", "Ocean of Fear", ""Dungeon", "His Hero", "It Came from the Nightosphere","Power Animal", "Guardians of Sunshine", "Death in Bloom","Susan Strong" and possibly many more[/Spoiler]

Considering each choice has but a single show each that I like, I'll just stick with Nickelodeon. Or better yet i'll stick with the cartoons from the UK, like Danger Mouse, Bananaman, and The Trap Door, thanks.

Got no idea what any of that is, all charming childhood memories I'm sure. But those two drawings of human at top are downright fucking awful. They would have been better not existing. And why does the one on the left seem to be suffering from radiation poisoning? Thats a conscious design choice someone made there as they were farting brains onto page.

I'm a 90's kid. What else am I going to pick but the 90's and early 2000's? Those shows were dope!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here