Poll: Which era of Cartoon Network shows was better?

Pages PREV 1 2

Adam Jensen:
I'm a 90's kid. What else am I going to pick but the 90's and early 2000's? Those shows were dope!

2010s were the animation silver age, tho.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Adam Jensen:
I'm a 90's kid. What else am I going to pick but the 90's and early 2000's? Those shows were dope!

2010s were the animation silver age, tho.

"SILVER" Age compared to our "GOLDEN" Age.

And we had the animated movie renaissance in theaters thanks to Disney and the then booming Dreamworks, and the works of Don Bluth.

And arguably SUPERIOR Anime.

Even One Piece counts, cuz it started in 1999.

Where's the option for Warner Bros Merry Melodies/Looney Tunes?! -_-

Meh, there's show I like on both sides of the fence.

Hawki:
Do stuff like Sailor Moon and DBZ belong? I mean, CN definitely didn't produce them (but I'm not sure about others - how much does CN produce under its banner versus acquiring?)

Depends, I guess. I associate them with the early 90's and the variety show Club Dorothee on TF1. French tv channels meant we got DBZ, Sailor Moon, Ranma 1/2, Saint Seiya and Super Sentai about half a decade before the rest of the non-Japan world. On the flipside, we got shafted in pretty much every other way. Good times.

Clone wars was pretty good. Otherwise i barely remember anything from CN. I more or less stopped watching daytime television at the age of 13 and ever since i've mostly watched anime and Netflix. In terms of cartoons these lists are pointless because Last Airbender blows everything else out of the water

SckizoBoy:
Where's the option for Warner Bros Merry Melodies/Looney Tunes?! -_-

^This. The oldies will always be the best. The pub I frequent is filled with a bunch of middle-aged, world-weary folks bitching about their day and drowning cynicism in booze. One evening, one of the TVs got switched to Cartoon Network, and "Tommy & Jerry" was on. Normally, someone complains and wants sports or the news turned on, but no one said anything. After about 10 minutes, the bartender finally saw T&J and switched it to a sports show, and there was a collectively "HEEEEEEY!" You haven't lived until you see a dozen drunk, grizzled +50-year-old Texas men throw a hissy fit because someone turned off their Tom & Jerry. It's now a staple in the bar, so much so, that whenever new people come in and request to have Tom & Jerry changed to something else, the bartenders tell them they can't.

Samtemdo8:

"SILVER" Age compared to our "GOLDEN" Age.

And we had the animated movie renaissance in theaters thanks to Disney and the then booming Dreamworks, and the works of Don Bluth.

And arguably SUPERIOR Anime.

Even One Piece counts, cuz it started in 1999.

Ehhh? I mean I was born in 1984. So I loosely remember The Maxx, Rocko's Modern Life, Aeon Flux, X-Men.

But not really on topic.

Back in my day, we didn't need a plethora of fancy animated programs to entertain us in the face of our growing realizations of fevered consumerism of high-capitalist global society and its frightening implications on the state of our intellectual freedom that would inevitably lead us to begin transforming beardy-men in caves into an acceptable precursor for creating yet more multi-trillion dollar global military budgets to 'fight' perpetuating a cycle of global conflict through arms trafficking and manufactured hostilities...

We just had to watch the news and see how much Yeltsin had to drink today.

On actual topic a lot of the people who wrote and animated the shows of the 90s under the fairly dismal working conditions, tight schedules, and reduced funding are now the showrunners of today. So that better reflects the attitudes of post-Cold War Reaganomics of tv shows as toy commercials, and post-80s cynicism of what we considered the dystopian, technocratic cyberpunkery we all thought we'd be suffering by today.

Which we are, just less neon and cool shit like consumer-grade neuroprosthetic devices and microsurgery clinics on every cityblock.

So in saying that the 90s were kind of cool in a collective cynicism way. They will never come back again.

So for example...

Lauren Faust made the layout design and initially pitched the idea of The Maxx: TAS.

So a lot of people resposible for the animation 'Silver Age' were the people that built the Golden Age.

If you're interested...

https://vimeo.com/61849938

Hawki:

Frankly, I'd rather go back to the Y2K scare than have the insanity of the modern world. :(

Really? I mean there was some tremendously fucked up shit going on when I was a real young'un. Like the Soviet Union imploding and speculated missing nukes in the process, and Yeltsin was drunk at the wheel.

Fortunately I had that mix of not knowing the nuclear weapon terror-phase, as what 7 year old could, and sufficiently 90s enough to remember that it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Really? I mean there was some tremendously fucked up shit going on when I was a real young'un. Like the Soviet Union imploding and speculated missing nukes in the process, and Yeltsin was drunk at the wheel.

Fortunately I had that mix of not knowing the nuclear weapon terror-phase, as what 7 year old could, and sufficiently 90s enough to remember that it's the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fine.

The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. Maybe there was fears about Y2K way back then, but they're separate issues, and I only remember Y2K being a "thing" in 1999. And even at the time, I never got the sense that anyone was really taking it seriously. It was like people discussing that the world might end in 2012 - it was a "thing," but no-one took it seriously.

Now, I can imagine that the Cold War and the aftermath would have been scary to those living during that time, but being born in 89, the Soviet Union was just a thing I learnt about in school, and even then in secondary school.

Hawki:

The Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. Maybe there was fears about Y2K way back then, but they're separate issues, and I only remember Y2K being a "thing" in 1999. And even at the time, I never got the sense that anyone was really taking it seriously. It was like people discussing that the world might end in 2012 - it was a "thing," but no-one took it seriously.

Now, I can imagine that the Cold War and the aftermath would have been scary to those living during that time, but being born in 89, the Soviet Union was just a thing I learnt about in school, and even then in secondary school.

Oh, no not back in 1991. You're right. Sorry, I made the assumption you were as old as me. The thought process was; "Well, if you're like me you also went through this stuff before the Y2K as well." TBH I only have fragments due to a massive motorcycle accident. Like death's door, medically-induced coma to control brain swelling. It was awful.

Y2K was a bit of a thing, even advertized software 'fixes' by some sketchy IT firms on tv... even had a series of Dilbert comics dedicated to it about how the world (the company) wasn't preparing suitably. To people's credit, Y2k at least has some semblance of reason to it as opposed to Mayan doomsday clock. And people weren't as tech savvy.

That being said, I was also only 7 when parts of the Eastern Bloc were tearing the shit out of eachother like Romania, hence why people were a bit worried about nukes and where they were, and maybe this is why Yeltsin is constantly trying to replace his blood with vodka. Plus you had his pseudo-coup against Gorbachev. And because of my aforemetioned TBI I'm probably suffering a severe case of false memory phenomena, whereby stuff I have learnt elsewhere is being retroactively applied as to my own perceived memory as if a passive observer.

After all, when you were 7 did you give a shit about the end of the Sarajevo Siege? Probably not. And if you did you're either a better person than I, or lived through it.

Ugh, each one has 7 shows that were really good sooo... Its a tie.

A bit of both...

Can't stand most of the 'flash cartoons'.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here