Resident Evil Series From Netflix In The Works

https://deadline.com/2019/01/resident-evil-tv-series-in-works-netflix-1202541277/

https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-wants-to-bring-resident-evil-to-tv-1831909998

So yeah, Resident Evil will be coming to Netflix it seems. We've been getting better adaptations of video games in recent years (Castlevania, Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist) so there's a decent chance of this being good.

Good. I've always said what this world needs to more zombies.

How is thing going to be any different than Walking Dead?

A more scary and action packed Walking Dead I assume?

I would think it be a great idea to have it be all about Raccoon City at the height of the Outbreak.

Apparently the production company that's behind the movies is doing this, so ew.

I mean, if this was sort of a Gotham-esque series, but about Raccoon City and Umbrella before the outbreak, that'd actually be an intriguing premise.

Silentpony:

Stupid comes in many flavors.

Silentpony:

Sci-Fi Action show about zombies instead of a drama with zombies in the background.

For those saying it will be a walking dead clone, i think Resident Evil actually has the potential for a pretty cool scenario. Die Hard with zombies. Need i say more?

Silentpony:

Well, aside from tone and story and characters?

I mean, I'd agree that zombies are overdone, but that's a very poor illustration, given how hugely different the two series are.

Silvanus:

Silentpony:

Well, aside from tone and story and characters?

I mean, I'd agree that zombies are overdone, but that's a very poor illustration, given how hugely different the two series are.

Its set in the Movie verse. That means its a post-apoc zombie drama centered around a few characters as they travel around the US scavenging for supplies and trying to outrun bandits and a nebulous Government.
Oh and probably magic powers.

CyanCat47:
For those saying it will be a walking dead clone, i think Resident Evil actually has the potential for a pretty cool scenario. Die Hard with zombies. Need i say more?

But its the RE movie team doing it...

Agent_Z:
https://deadline.com/2019/01/resident-evil-tv-series-in-works-netflix-1202541277/

https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-wants-to-bring-resident-evil-to-tv-1831909998

So yeah, Resident Evil will be coming to Netflix it seems. We've been getting better adaptations of video games in recent years (Castlevania, Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist) so there's a decent chance of this being good.

I loved the RE movies! And netflix has been making some pretty good exclusives lately. Let's hope this one pays off!

Silentpony:

Walking Dead: 90% talking, 10% action.
Resident Evil: 10% talking, 90% action. +magical sci fi powers, +monsters

Can someone explain the appeal of Zombies to me?

Silentpony:
Its set in the Movie verse. That means its a post-apoc zombie drama centered around a few characters as they travel around the US scavenging for supplies and trying to outrun bandits and a nebulous Government.

Ah, I knew the movie people were involved, but I thought it was just in a production capacity.

Still, as awful as the RE films are, they're drastically different in tone and most other respects from The Walking Dead.

Is there even any scavenging or bandits in them? Last one I saw involved clones doing backflips with shades and gunning down black ops. About as far from Walking Dead as I can imagine.

Silentpony:

CyanCat47:

But its the RE movie team doing it...

I don't really subscribe much to the idea that there are "bad" and "good" studios that are guaranteed to make movies according to their label. There are many instances of people who made good stuff at one point, then makes a major flop a few years down the line, and there are examples of people who make bad or mediocore stuff for a long time, then suddenly positively surprise

Silvanus:

Silentpony:

Ah, I knew the movie people were involved, but I thought it was just in a production capacity.

Still, as awful as the RE films are, they're drastically different in tone and most other respects from The Walking Dead.

Is there even any scavenging or bandits in them? Last one I saw involved clones doing backflips with shades and gunning down black ops. About as far from Walking Dead as I can imagine.

If i remember correctly the 2nd movie, when they're in Nevada, had bandits trying to kidnap people

PsychedelicDiamond:

Can someone explain the hate of Zombies to me?

Saelune:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Its mostly just overused. Especially in video games, when its just lazy programming. Its just a normal human model with red on them, no weapons, and programmed to just walk towards the player.

All those zombie/crafting/survival games flooded onto Steam were simply cheap and easy to make.

PsychedelicDiamond:

I think it taps into the average person's murderous fantasies. Zombies are people you can kill without fearing any consequence.

PsychedelicDiamond:

George Romero.

Saelune:

PsychedelicDiamond:

They're severely overused, compared to how much mileage you actually get out of them. I'd be saying the same if it was Vampires or Werewolves instead and as far as monsters go, those are a lot more interesting. At least they still have some agency on their own.

I'm interested. I don't have particularly high hopes, but it could be ok or even good. I don't read too much into "the RE movie people are in charge" because that doesn't guarantee they will go the same way with it they did in the movies. They could. They likely will... but it is at least possible they've had another way they wanted to go with some aspect and this is their outlet for that idea.

And I don't discount it for "oh, zombies are so overused now" reasons because Pontypool. To everyone who slams on zombies for being cliche and "everything has been done with Zombies..." I say, "Pontypool. You are provably wrong. Go see Pontypool. There are obviously still brand new ways to tell a zombie story." Cliche might mean it isn't EASY to come up with an original zombie story... but it is obviously still possible.

Do I really think that Netflix Resident Evil will be good. No. Netflix is scrambling right now because Disney took their toys away and are making their own sandbox. Netflix has lost Marvel and Star Wars and will be greenlighting all sorts of crap to try and retain audience. And when you open up the floodgates you increase costs (which you unpopularly pass on to consumers) and decrease your standards. I think ANYTHING Netflix made or makes after Disney made their cancelation announcements stands a better chance of being bad than anything made before. And if Resident Evil on Netflix sucks, that will be the primary reason. So that's why my hopes aren't high for the series, but that mirrors expectations of anything Netflix is making now. But they are still going to have their successes. And RE could be one.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Zombies are tied with Vampires and Werewolves and Ghosts for most iconic Undead/Classical Horror monsters.

They are synonymous to popular culture.

Swear I heard about this a whiles back, except they mentioned having the same director/actor wife/husband combo as all the other films. But it says there it's just the producer now. Not sure if change happening or being unnecessarily coy with details. Enthusiasm is at minimum.

W...what's this fascinating announcement in the first link?

In a new Instagram video, Sylvester Stallone reveals he's determined to finish writing the Edgar Allen Poe movie he's been working on the last "45 years-50 years."

Oh lawd have mercy.

Silentpony:

There's no word on it being set in the movie verse.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here