What Fictional Military, Order, or Fellowship would you Join... but only be an Average Member?

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

No, you will not be the Chosen One, although you do sometimes have Lunch with Her.

You will not rally the final rebellion that liberates the Nation. But you will fight in it.

You can not tame the ancient Magics that only the most intelligent can even perceive. But you do make a pretty mean fireball.

You are to pick an Military, Order, or Fellowship that you would join because you love the world, you love the setting, or you love their creed... But that's it. You'll win some battles, you'll lose some, but you will never be the heavy hitters. Just doing what you can as one of the average members.

You will not be John-117, You will not be Luke Skywalker, You will not be Harry Potter. You will be one of the masses they pass along the way to give an epic speech or to end the war with the final master stroke while you're on the outside fighting.

With all of that, I'd still be a Jedi Knight in a heartbeat. Just out there doing what I can for sake of doing it. I love that idea. I don't need to be the ultimate good guy that slays the emperor and what not. I like the personal, individual efforts of helping communities more than the Battle of Yavin conflicts.

... Telekinesis and the laser sword doesn't hurt either.

Despite knowing how terrible the warhammer 40k universe is, I'd still choose to join the imperial guard as either a sniper or pilot OR the space marines (no specific chapter) in pretty much either of the same roles.

The cheesy min-maxing munchkin in me badly wants to say the Adaptes Astartes (or the Grey Knights if you want to really, really draw Jones' ire). I mean, yeah, I would 'only' be a Tactical Marine, but I'd still be an absolute beast of a killing machine comparable to the elite troops or monsters of any other foe I'd face. Spend my days doing something I believe in with utter, unfailing conviction and being 'average' in an organization where 'average' is only being worth a company of regular human soldiers. I can live with that.

Less cheesy, a secret fantasy of mine has long been to be a part of the Adepta Sororitas, because Battle Nuns are cool AF. Burning heretics and being armed to the teeth with actual weapons as well as weaponized Faith. Sign me up for that, I'd also get to have cool/trashy fleur d'lys tattoos in my face without anyone thinking I'm white trash.

In Malazan Book of the Fallen even the average member of multiple armies/nations can do something amazingly heroic or legendary, the only downside is that a lot of very bad things can end up happening everyone from the lowliest peasants all the way up to the 'Chosen One', main characters and even gods. That being said, being a Malazan Marine or a Wickan horse warrior would, most likely, be a hell of a ride.

THE KNIGHTLY ORDER OF THE SILVER HAND!!!

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Knights_of_the_Silver_Hand

OH! A Custodian Guard of Terra. Even the most middle average of them is more than a match for most Chapter Masters and Daemon Princes.

Samtemdo8:

Wait... they literally called First, Second and Third War. That's real lazy naming practices there. At least put a world or some country name in there

Can I be a computer and network techie on the Starship Enterprise?

trunkage:

Samtemdo8:

Wait... they literally called First, Second and Third War. That's real lazy naming practices there. At least put a world or some country name in there

Because they were wars that had VERY BIG repercussions to the entire World of Azeroth.

Especially the Third one.

The names of Other Wars of importance are the War of the Ancients, the Winterskorn War, War of the Satyr, the Troll Wars, and War of the Three Hammers, and the War of the Shifting Sands.

Actually, you know what? Templars from Assassin's Creed. Well enough in to materially benefit, not high enough to get murdered... Probably Age of Exploration-ish or later.

Samos205:
Despite knowing how terrible the warhammer 40k universe is, I'd still choose to join the imperial guard as either a sniper or pilot OR the space marines (no specific chapter) in pretty much either of the same roles.

The Testicular Fortitude on you... It is amazing.

You would CHOOSE to be apart of the Astra Militarum?! The part of the God-Emperor's Military with the slogan "Shoot all you want, we'll make more". Respect.

Gethsemani:
The cheesy min-maxing munchkin in me badly wants to say the Adaptes Astartes (or the Grey Knights if you want to really, really draw Jones' ire).

Wait, Me Jones? I'd have Ire over that? I love the Grey Knights! How can you not respect a Faction whose final exam summons a Demon for you to either success or get shot in the head for failing?

I would have liked to have been a Gunslinger from the times before the Dark Tower setting- the Golden Age before the world moved on. One who wasn't the King's son, of course. Deadly and competent, but fallen and forgotten, somewhere in Mid-World...

I am personally averse to military but if I were to join something, I guess I would choose the Harpers from D&D if we're using the Forgotten Realms setting or a Red Robe Wizard of the Towers of High Sorcery if we're using the Dragonlance setting, I just don't care for war or politics but travelling the world to amass information for a great tower is something I could get behind, though I believe in sharing information freely so I'm not sure I exactly fit the archetype, I guess that means I'm more of a Bard than a Wizard but I dig it, I'm fine with not being the chosen one or anything though as I'd much prefer to be a grunt travelling the world to gather information that being someone that is busy delving in the politics of where to send people, plus even grunts of both organizations are pretty decent so it's fine, if I recall correctly you needed to be at least 4th level to be a member of the Towers of High Sorcery originally 3 Levels of base class wizard plus 1 of prestige class Red Robe Wizard to be the lowest rank possible, meaning that anything above a trainee can cast level 3 spells which is where all the good stuff is.

Gordon_4:

As long as I can be a medical and science officer on Discovery! I thought about Enterprise, or even Voyager, but then Discovery gets to do all the cool shat that will all likely become classified later when they go to tie it into the original series and that seemed more interesting to me since they get to break all the rules.:)

Kaleion:
I am personally averse to military but if I were to join something, I guess I would choose the Harpers from D&D if we're using the Forgotten Realms setting or a Red Robe Wizard of the Towers of High Sorcery if we're using the Dragonlance setting, I just don't care for war or politics but travelling the world to amass information for a great tower is something I could get behind, though I believe in sharing information freely so I'm not sure I exactly fit the archetype, I guess that means I'm more of a Bard than a Wizard but I dig it, I'm fine with not being the chosen one or anything though as I'd much prefer to be a grunt travelling the world to gather information that being someone that is busy delving in the politics of where to send people, plus even grunts of both organizations are pretty decent so it's fine, if I recall correctly you needed to be at least 4th level to be a member of the Towers of High Sorcery originally 3 Levels of base class wizard plus 1 of prestige class Red Robe Wizard to be the lowest rank possible, meaning that anything above a trainee can cast level 3 spells which is where all the good stuff is.

I was actually thinking Harper at one point, but then I remembered Volo will out you as an agent. Plus as a middling Harper who else is going to get lumped with the duty of protecting Volo from himself?

ObsidianJones:

Wait, Me Jones? I'd have Ire over that? I love the Grey Knights! How can you not respect a Faction whose final exam summons a Demon for you to either success or get shot in the head for failing?

I just figured it was slightly out of the spirit of the question to deliberately select a faction which is overpowered compared to the opposition.

ObsidianJones:

Samos205:

You would CHOOSE to be apart of the Astra Militarum?! The part of the God-Emperor's Military with the slogan "Shoot all you want, we'll make more". Respect.

There's no deep reason for that choice either. I just think some of the imperial guard units have some interesting history/lore (admittedly I'm not super up to date with current lore, but still) I think the imperial guard's deeds get forgotten/ignored for the most part, because space marines appear and claim glory (atleast in my opinion)

The post Jacen Solo Jedi Order. You're basically a Jedi who doesn't have to answer to anyone if you don't want to. And being a Jedi means you're inherently better than everyone else at pretty much everything. All the perks, none of the commitment.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Kaleion:

I was actually thinking Harper at one point, but then I remembered Volo will out you as an agent. Plus as a middling Harper who else is going to get lumped with the duty of protecting Volo from himself?

Eh.. A small price to pay, plus I'm very disloyal to organizations in general since I'm very individualistic, being realistic I shouldn't be on any organization, last time I joined the Harpers I was working for so many different factions that I don't remember all of them, since I kept being resurrected with the Reincarnation spell and per homebrew rules of the GM I also switched genders as well as race it was super easy to infiltrate an organization die and then be free because I no longer looked like anything else and was releived of all identification tattooes and marks, I even killed myself once to get out of the hands of Xentharim, but since I came back with all my knowledge I exploited the shit out of it.

Basically I'd likely die in an attempt to double cross them because even though I can be fiercely loyal to people I couldn't care less about organizations since they are always corrupted, still it would be fun for a while I think.

Well, I recently watched Knights of Sidonia, so I'd give being a Garde pilot a try. 50% attrition rate for pilots on their first sortie, and not much better after? I'd like to see how that whole being average thing ends up, and how quickly.

Kaleion:

Eh.. A small price to pay, plus I'm very disloyal to organizations in general since I'm very individualistic, being realistic I shouldn't be on any organization, last time I joined the Harpers I was working for so many different factions that I don't remember all of them, since I kept being resurrected with the Reincarnation spell and per homebrew rules of the GM I also switched genders as well as race it was super easy to infiltrate an organization die and then be free because I no longer looked like anything else and was releived of all identification tattooes and marks, I even killed myself once to get out of the hands of Xentharim, but since I came back with all my knowledge I exploited the shit out of it.

Basically I'd likely die in an attempt to double cross them because even though I can be fiercely loyal to people I couldn't care less about organizations since they are always corrupted, still it would be fun for a while I think.

I used to be a Harper agent like you, but then I reincarnated into a kobold? :3

3.x druids and bards easily rank as my equal first favourite PC classes. Basically there was a stretch of time where if we already had one, I'd simply play the other. Pre-written character sheets even before rolling to one sesh. Argh, I forget the name of the spell but there was one that allowed you to be reincarnated without level loss?

I'm fairly sure it was in the spell compendium... or it might have been 3.0 Masters of the Wild.

So Moonsea/Dalelands campaign? You know, what would you think of a middling Hathran if we're going all FR with it? Wychlaren always seemed lke a fun group to belong to.

Lil devils x:

Gordon_4:

As long as I can be a medical and science officer on Discovery! I thought about Enterprise, or even Voyager, but then Discovery gets to do all the cool shat that will all likely become classified later when they go to tie it into the original series and that seemed more interesting to me since they get to break all the rules.:)

You can have Discovery, as far as I'm concerned that shitshow doesn't exist.

Oh I thought of another one. Spectrum, one of the random lieutenants who works at ops for Colonel White.

Gordon_4:

Lil devils x:

Gordon_4:

You can have Discovery, as far as I?m concerned that shitshow doesn't exist.

Oh I thought of another one. Spectrum, one of the random lieutenants who works at ops for Colonel White.

!! Are you out of your Vulcan mind?! Discovery is awesome as far as I am concerned. I think I may even like it as much as the Borg fan collective, and I have watched every Star Trek ever made. Time will tell. I even think they did a great job casting Pike. What is it you don''t like about it? :o

'Cos I'm playing an RPG about it in a party of five (well, the DM's wife should be in it as well, but she's abroad atm): Mage Hunter... Retribution of Ios from Iron Kingdoms... I'm an average member but I'm kicking a bit of ass (got the highest kill count so far, and my character is rabidly racist... but sort of getting over it), so yeah, I'll go with that.

For something a bit more mainstream, I was going to go Jedi Knight 'cos Force and a lightsabre will never get old, but it seemed to easy. So instead, I'll say an Eldar Harlequin from 40K, and since I'm an 'average' member, I'll never be the Solitaire! For all she's a total badass, I do not envy her lot in life... -_-

A random crewman on a Federation ship wouldn't be so bad. Sure, every time you visit the holodeck there's a 50-50 chance of being killed by Genghis Khan or whatever, but avoid those and you'll probably be fine.

(I discount the war with the Dominion in DS9, because I don't watch DS9)

ObsidianJones:

Samos205:

Eh, you could end just as easily end up guarding some backwater place nobody bothers invading and do nothing your entire life. If you are a marine or a sister, you will end up in combat and most likely die there. Mind you, pick the right chapter and you've got a good chance of fighting morally just wars and making a difference.

Gethsemani:
I just figured it was slightly out of the spirit of the question to deliberately select a faction which is overpowered compared to the opposition.

Hey, it's completely in the spirit of the rules. Grey Knights are a faction, even if they are mighty. You're not saying "I'm going to be Supreme Grand Master Kaldor Draigo". You're saying you'd be one of the mighty grunts. They all don't survive. Go on and have all the psyker fun that you can have. :-p

Samos205:
There's no deep reason for that choice either. I just think some of the imperial guard units have some interesting history/lore (admittedly I'm not super up to date with current lore, but still) I think the imperial guard's deeds get forgotten/ignored for the most part, because space marines appear and claim glory (atleast in my opinion)

If that's the case, I think you want to be Cadian. Some... stuff has happened with them...

Thaluikhain:
Eh, you could end just as easily end up guarding some backwater place nobody bothers invading and do nothing your entire life. If you are a marine or a sister, you will end up in combat and most likely die there. Mind you, pick the right chapter and you've got a good chance of fighting morally just wars and making a difference.

Like Commissar Cain did? All of the Backwaters that house dormant Necrons, Genestealer Cults, Chaos Cults or the relics that drive entire worlds mad, Feral Orks, or Dark Eldar raiding parties?

Backwaters are dangerous as hell. Especially with the Splinter Fleets coming in.

SckizoBoy:
'Cos I'm playing an RPG about it in a party of five (well, the DM's wife should be in it as well, but she's abroad atm): Mage Hunter... Retribution of Ios from Iron Kingdoms... I'm an average member but I'm kicking a bit of ass (got the highest kill count so far, and my character is rabidly racist... but sort of getting over it), so yeah, I'll go with that.

For something a bit more mainstream, I was going to go Jedi Knight 'cos Force and a lightsabre will never get old, but it seemed to easy. So instead, I'll say an Eldar Harlequin from 40K, and since I'm an 'average' member, I'll never be the Solitaire! For all she's a total badass, I do not envy her lot in life... -_-

Hmm... you're bringing up a good point. Perhaps I should have also delved in my LARP days. My Avenger Hunter should be dusted off.

Rank-and-file Jedi Knight- oh, what? Multiple people said that already? I guess it's no surprise.

Rank-and-file Shinigami from Bleach. I'm almost impossible to kill unless we're fighting a certain expertly trained army of Quincies. I can hunt down evil ghosts, learn spells, get a sword whose spirit and special powers reflect my personality, and it gets stronger if I train harder, even if I will never be as strong or skilled as a Lieutenant or a Captain or that mouthy orange-haired substitute Shinigami everyone's always going on about. And there are 13 squads to chose from who accept new members based on character traits that they cherish!

Grey Wardens: Join to fight Dark Spawn and get away from old life, die a hero regardless of how big or in this case how small a role.

Jedi: I work in the Library

Colonial Marines: Face Huggered first page.

Addendum_Forthcoming:

Kaleion:

I used to be a Harper agent like you, but then I reincarnated into a kobold? :3

3.x druids and bards easily rank as my equal first favourite PC classes. Basically there was a stretch of time where if we already had one, I'd simply play the other. Pre-written character sheets even before rolling to one sesh. Argh, I forget the name of the spell but there was one that allowed you to be reincarnated without level loss?

I'm fairly sure it was in the spell compendium... or it might have been 3.0 Masters of the Wild.

So Moonsea/Dalelands campaign? You know, what would you think of a middling Hathran if we're going all FR with it? Wychlaren always seemed lke a fun group to belong to.

Well it I was never a Kobold but I was a male Half-Elf, then a Male Dwarf, then a Female Human, then a female Dryad, then a Male Drow Elf and finally I went back to my original form, it was kinda funny because my character was 15 years old by the end .

And while this character was a Rogue and I do favour Rogues over any other class I actually am one of those people that is willing to play any class so long as I have a good idea for a character, but since my party is always weak at subterfuge I almost always end up as a Rogue which can get tiring, Druids are very neat, I have one in the works, I'll see if I'm able to play it soon.

And yeah, a campaign in that region does sound kinda fun, though I"ll admit that I'm not welk versed on FR most of what I know is from what I've plaued and we mainly play on DragonLance.

...Point of order: What would an average Tenno (Warframe) entail? Because I can't for the life of me tell whether the player character is supposed to be the exception or the rule.

Gotta say, I expected a few N7's or Spectres.

Asita:
...Point of order: What would an average Tenno (Warframe) entail? Because I can't for the life of me tell whether the player character is supposed to be the exception or the rule.

Since I haven't really seen that much Lore, I'm going to rule that anything not Prime is average. So Tenno it up!

ObsidianJones:
Like Commissar Cain did? All of the Backwaters that house dormant Necrons, Genestealer Cults, Chaos Cults or the relics that drive entire worlds mad, Feral Orks, or Dark Eldar raiding parties?

No, one of the backwaters than nobody bothers invading. Most places do not contain webway portals, Necron tombs or ancient chaos relics.

Hell, even when some minor unimportant planet gets invaded, it's almost always the worst/only war there in centuries/ever. Even on the infamously war torn world of Armageddon, people have lived there for millennia, and there have been 3 recorded wars, with some 300 years between the First War for Armageddon and the Second War for Armageddon. You'd have many generations of Guardsmen not doing too much.

ObsidianJones:

Samos205:

If that's the case, I think you want to be Cadian. Some... stuff has happened with them...

Nah, I know their planet got blown up recently. If had to go between one of the two 'default' guard factions, I'd go catachan because they sound badass

ObsidianJones:

I would've said N7 if I'd remembered, but 40k was on my mind at the time

ObsidianJones:

Asita:

Since I haven't really seen that much Lore, I'm going to rule that anything not Prime is average. So Tenno it up!

...So you're telling me that I can have (or get) access to an armory with 38+ warframes, each with unique abilities, to say nothing of a weapon arsenal and the spoilery tricks learned in the Second Dream and especially the War Within?

Sold.

ObsidianJones:

Like Samos205, 40K was on my mind at the time (since previous comments mentioned Space Marines and Grey Knights, plus that weirdo for the IG...! =P Though I gotta say, being a highly tech'd and gene modded space warrior monk would presumably play havoc with your chances for smexy times... *snrk* *I'm so mature*) but I really should've remembered the Spectres given I'm about 1/4 way through ME2 again... -.-

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here