James Gunn is back to direct GOTG Vol 3!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

9 months after firing James Gunn because of some incredibly tasteless jokes about pedophilia and rape made a decade ago, The House of Mouse has rehired James Gunn. Production on GOTG Vol 3 will begin after Gunn is finished with Suicide Squad.

Deadline: Mike Flemming Jr.:
The decision to rehire Gunn -he was fired last July by Disney after alt-right journalists made public a fusillade of decade old social media missives that made light of pedophilia and rape - was one that was mulled and actually made months ago, following conversations with Disney studio leadership and the team at Marvel Studios. Why the change of heart? After the firing, Walt Disney Studios chairman Alan Horn met with Gunn on multiple occasions to discuss the situation. Persuaded by Gunn's public apology and his handling of the situation after, Horn decided to reverse course and reinstate Gunn.

Source

Gunn posted on Twitter for the first time in months after the announcement.

I was concerned about the direction of GOTG after Disney fired Gunn. GOTG vol 2 is without a doubt my favorite of Marvel's movies. As far as I'm concerned we're getting the best of both worlds here. Suicide Squad was a complete mess and Gunn's presence can only make things better. Needless to say, I'm glad he's back to finish what he started.

So we're getting a James Gunn suicide squad *and* a new guardians of the galaxy?

Maybe this was a good thing after all

undeadsuitor:
So we're getting a James Gunn suicide squad *and* a new guardians of the galaxy?

2 of the same movie then?

With more poop jokes and gags?

Didn't care when he got fired, don't care that he's rehired.

Johnny Novgorod:

Yes we all know how much you dislike marvel movies

trunkage:

Johnny Novgorod:

Yes we all know how much you dislike marvel movies

Every time somebody recognizes me here and I have no idea who they are I feel like I dropped in for dinner and didn't bring anything. Sorry.

Y'know, I can't speak for Gunn, but if I were in the position, I'd like to think I'd have the itegrity to tell Disney to go screw themselves after the debacle.

It's pretty obvious that Disney fired Gunn for criticizing the American government, not for a bunch of jokes he made well before he even worked for Disney. I mean, they keep dragging out that worthless piece of shit James Woods from his retirement home to play Hades from Hercules whenever he appears in a video game despite spreading actually dangerous propaganda on his Twitter account practically every day.

Still, them deciding to rehire James Gunn is just about the first good decision they've made in a pretty long while. I don't care for the movies but Gunn seems like a decent guy who lost his contract for illegitimate reasons. So, good on Disney but even better on everyone calling them out and keeping up the pressure.

Hawki:
Y'know, I can't speak for Gunn, but if I were in the position, I'd like to think I'd have the itegrity to tell Disney to go screw themselves after the debacle.

I can't imagine he got an apology either.

But then he was so nice when he got dumped. Like he understood there was a reason why they acted the way they did. He possibly understands why they are acting like they are now

trunkage:

Hawki:

I can't imagine he got an apology either.

But then he was so nice when he got dumped. Like he understood there was a reason why they acted the way they did. He possibly understands why they are acting like they are now

The decision was most likely made months ago. They were just waiting for the dust to settle.

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

just say you haven't seen either guardians of the galaxy and move on

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

That is where you are wrong, for I have seen the first one, in theaters mind you, and I hated it, and I never bought James Gunn as this visionary director that everyone on the internet is hyping up as.

And this is all I have to see of the second movie:

Never seen Suicide Squad though. Never cared for it.

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

That is where you are wrong, for I have seen the first one, in theaters mind you, and I hated it, and I never bought James Gunn as this visionary director that everyone on the internet is hyping up as.

And this is all I have to see of the second movie:

Never seen Suicide Squad though. Never cared for it.

I agree with you that Rotten Tomatoes is trash but that video could be used in university debate classes as an example of cherry picking.

Never thought that was gonna happen, and dispite me not really caring about Marvel and the Guardians movies not even being my favourite films, I'm kinda over the moon about this. Maybe because he's the best director they had, maybe because he's a good guy who got seriously screwed over, I'm just really glad.

Still kinda wanna know how exactly this went down.

PsychedelicDiamond:
Still, them deciding to rehire James Gunn is just about the first good decision they've made in a pretty long while. I don't care for the movies but Gunn seems like a decent guy who lost his contract for illegitimate reasons. So, good on Disney but even better on everyone calling them out and keeping up the pressure.

One wonders if perhaps this wasn't planned. Kick him out when people are making a fuss, bring him back when people have gotten distracted by something else.

Apparently they never really looked for a replacement, realizing they would rehire him pretty soon and just looking for an opportune moment to announce it.

I'm all against firing people for things they say on the internet on principle as long as they're legal things. It's good this man has his job back. Hopefully the movie is gonna be good.

While I'm glad its official, did anyone think this wasn't going to happen?! Lets be honest, Disney or the PR department just told them 'Wait until after Captain Marvel drops, we'll get the female Twitter demo on our side, drop an Infinity War trailer and then bring his dumb ass back'

It never even occurred to me that they'd go ahead with Guardians 3 without him. They were just waiting.

Silentpony:
While I'm glad its official, did anyone think this wasn't going to happen?!

Um, yes?

Gunn should never have been let go in the first place, but I figured that since Disney did it, they'd stick to it, if only because going back on it would result in bad PR (apparently not).

Silentpony:
While I'm glad its official, did anyone think this wasn't going to happen?! Lets be honest, Disney or the PR department just told them 'Wait until after Captain Marvel drops, we'll get the female Twitter demo on our side, drop an Infinity War trailer and then bring his dumb ass back'

What's the correlation between the two? He wasn't fired over sexist tweets.

Why would they fire him and allow him to go over to DC and make a movie for them if they were just biding their time? The fact that Gunn was focussing on other projects - directing, writing, and producing - meant he wasn't expecting to to come back either. Him getting fired was a kneejerk reaction, and either Disney wised up or Kevin Feige put in a lot of effort to change their minds.

Casual Shinji:

Silentpony:

Why would they fire him and allow him to go over to DC and make a movie for them if they were just biding their time? The fact that Gunn was focussing on other projects - directing, writing, and producing - meant he wasn't expecting to to come back either. Him getting fired was a kneejerk reaction, and either Disney wised up or Kevin Feige put in a lot of effort to change their minds.

Gunn was fired over sexually explicit jokes about pedophilia and rape. And in the era of MeToo he had to go until Marvel had a buffer movie.

Hawki:

Silentpony:
While I'm glad its official, did anyone think this wasn't going to happen?!

Um, yes?

Gunn should never have been let go in the first place, but I figured that since Disney did it, they'd stick to it, if only because going back on it would result in bad PR (apparently not).

I guess I just assumed we all knew it was a PR stunt to fire him, and that'd he'd be back when enough fires had died down.
Companies do it all the time. Microtransactions gone! Until people are no longer paying attention, then bring them back in. That product looks offensive, pull it from shelves...now quietly put it back on shelves when no one is looking.

Silentpony:
Gunn was fired over sexually explicit jokes about pedophilia and rape. And in the era of MeToo he had to go until Marvel had a buffer movie.

Women weren't the ones complaining though, it mostly came from the alt-right camp. And what guarantee did they have that Gunn would even return? Again, he went over to DC. You think they'd let that happen if they planned all along to bring him back? They didn't fire him with the plan to rehire him later. If the wanted a buffer period they would've just done what they did with John Lasseter (not that the two are comparable since Lasseter was accused of actual sexual harrasment).

Casual Shinji:

Silentpony:

Women weren't the ones complaining though, it mostly came from the alt-right camp. And what guarantee did they have that Gunn would even return? Again, he went over to DC. You think they'd let that happen if they planned all along to bring him back? They didn't fire him with the plan to rehire him later. If the wanted a buffer period they would've just done what they did with John Lasseter (not that the two are comparable since Lasseter was accused of actual sexual harrasment).

Remind me- what did they do with John Lasseter?

Squilookle:

I think they forced him to go to some therapy thing or whatever, for the sake of public appearance, and so that he could then later resume his role as head of Pixar. Maybe Disney just took that time to make it very clear to him to stop the handsiness with female employees otherwise they'd actually kick him to the curb.

Casual Shinji:

Squilookle:

I think they forced him to go to some therapy thing or whatever, for the sake of public appearance, and so that he could then later resume his role as head of Pixar. Maybe Disney just took that time to make it very clear to him to stop the handsiness with female employees otherwise they'd actually kick him to the curb.

I thought he was removed now. He's starting another thing

Yay consumerist populism!

Oh well, sarcasm aside, I'll still pay to see it.

trunkage:

That may be right. He is still working in animation though, because I heard Emma Thompson refused to voice a character in an upcoming animated movie because Lasseter was heading the project.

Suicide Squad? Gunn could do that justice if he brings his A game that gave us Super. Twice the good news for no effort, today has gone up a rank.

Johnny Novgorod:
Every time somebody recognizes me here and I have no idea who they are I feel like I dropped in for dinner and didn't bring anything. Sorry.

PsychedelicDiamond:
It's pretty obvious that Disney fired Gunn for criticizing the American government, not for a bunch of jokes he made well before he even worked for Disney. I mean, they keep dragging out that worthless piece of shit James Woods from his retirement home to play Hades from Hercules whenever he appears in a video game despite spreading actually dangerous propaganda on his Twitter account practically every day.

They're hypocritical shits either way.

Casual Shinji:

Silentpony:

This. The plan sounds way too stupid, convoluted, and waste of everyone's time.

Korey put up a video calling out the bullshit from high strung conservatives, people with "high morals", and the Hollywood industry's double standard. I love it.

Casual Shinji:

trunkage:

That may be right. He is still working in animation though, because I heard Emma Thompson refused to voice a character in an upcoming animated movie because Lasseter was heading the project.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2019/01/09/pixar-ousted-chief-john-lasseter-finds-new-animation-studio/2529587002/

Majestic Manatee:
Suicide Squad? Gunn could do that justice if he brings his A game that gave us Super. Twice the good news for no effort, today has gone up a rank.

Johnny Novgorod:

You, I like the manatee.

Casual Shinji:

Silentpony:

I think the complaints were disingenuous and at the same time the people who'd be outraged if Roseanne had made these comments were indeed bizarrely silent about his comments.

I'm always for jokes being treated as fundamentally unserious and not something to fire people over but I think pointing out the disparate treatment, the higher level of tolerance afforded to people with the "right opinions", is a valid thing.

I don't like this "you took down one of ours so we'll take out one of yours" mentality one bit, I just want this climate of reversal to keep flowing and undo all such occurrences.

Dreiko:

Casual Shinji:

Silentpony:

I think the complaints were disingenuous and at the same time the people who'd be outraged if Roseanne had made these comments were indeed bizarrely silent about his comments.

I'm always for jokes being treated as fundamentally unserious and not something to fire people over but I think pointing out the disparate treatment, the higher level of tolerance afforded to people with the "right opinions", is a valid thing.

I don't like this "you took down one of ours so we'll take out one of yours" mentality one bit, I just want this climate of reversal to keep flowing and undo all such occurrences.

you're intentionally leaving out key details like, Gunns comments were almost a decade ago with him learning his lesson since

while Roseannes were were that month

then that week

and some again

and again

If your opinion was even close to correct you wouldn't have to fudge details and manipulate the narrative to make a point

undeadsuitor:

Dreiko:

Casual Shinji:

you're intentionally leaving out key details like, Gunns comments were almost a decade ago with him learning his lesson since

while Roseannes were were that month

then that week

and some again

and again

If your opinion was even close to correct you wouldn't have to fudge details and manipulate the narrative to make a point

I think you're forgetting the key factor. No one is ever forgiven

Especially when it's politically convenient

I'm glad to hear it. I like a lot of the MCU movies, but beyond Black Panther and Infinity War, none of them reached the level of the Guardians movies for me. Maybe i'm biased because Guardians 1 was the movie that got me into the whole MCU thing, but I'd say he is one of the best directors Marvel has used for these movies

Dreiko:

Except Gunn was obviously going for shock humor, and Roseanne was actually being racist. But even then I'd say Gunn shouldn't be surprised if he got fired if he had said that last week or last month, but this was almost 10 years ago. Gunn was hired well after he made those jokes and Disney should've been well aware of his history in trashy, shock movies. He was probably hired by Kevin Feige specifically for Guardians because of that.

If Roseanne had made that comment 10 years ago, got hired for a show afterward, showed a better side of herself for the following 6 years, and then got fired because of those old comments, it'd be similarly unfair.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here