James Gunn is back to direct GOTG Vol 3!

Pages PREV 1 2

Eat shit Cernovich, you lispy fuckwad!

This is great news, glad to know that both of the high profile this far-right grifter got fired ended up getting re-hired.

undeadsuitor:

Dreiko:

Casual Shinji:
Women weren't the ones complaining though, it mostly came from the alt-right camp. And what guarantee did they have that Gunn would even return? Again, he went over to DC. You think they'd let that happen if they planned all along to bring him back? They didn't fire him with the plan to rehire him later. If the wanted a buffer period they would've just done what they did with John Lasseter (not that the two are comparable since Lasseter was accused of actual sexual harrasment).

I think the complaints were disingenuous and at the same time the people who'd be outraged if Roseanne had made these comments were indeed bizarrely silent about his comments.

I'm always for jokes being treated as fundamentally unserious and not something to fire people over but I think pointing out the disparate treatment, the higher level of tolerance afforded to people with the "right opinions", is a valid thing.

I don't like this "you took down one of ours so we'll take out one of yours" mentality one bit, I just want this climate of reversal to keep flowing and undo all such occurrences.

you're intentionally leaving out key details like, Gunns comments were almost a decade ago with him learning his lesson since

while Roseannes were were that month

then that week

and some again

and again

If your opinion was even close to correct you wouldn't have to fudge details and manipulate the narrative to make a point

I don't think when the comment was made has any relevance actually (and think those who do are wrong) so I had no reason to bring it up. It's good that we got to clarify that though.

A joke is a joke, if it was made yesterday or 10 years ago doesn't change a thing about it.

I don't care for people arbitrarily coming up with time-frames for when jokes are just jokes and not something more than that. People don't have the authority to determine that hence they don't get to act as though it's expected to treat their fallacious determination as anything more than that.

You can think it's different if the joke was made a while back, you just don't get to expect others to agree.

Casual Shinji:

Dreiko:
I think the complaints were disingenuous and at the same time the people who'd be outraged if Roseanne had made these comments were indeed bizarrely silent about his comments.

Except Gunn was obviously going for shock humor, and Roseanne was actually being racist. But even then I'd say Gunn shouldn't be surprised if he got fired if he had said that last week or last month, but this was almost 10 years ago. Gunn was hired well after he made those jokes and Disney should've been well aware of his history in trashy, shock movies. He was probably hired by Kevin Feige specifically for Guardians because of that.

If Roseanne had made that comment 10 years ago, got hired for a show afterward, showed a better side of herself for the following 6 years, and then got fired because of those old comments, it'd be similarly unfair.

They were jokes. You may wanna go watch her appearance on Rogan's podcast. You can say they were not perceived as jokes or were even bad jokes due to needing too much context to comprehend (the monkey balls one especially so) but they were still just jokes.

Dreiko:
They were jokes. You may wanna go watch her appearance on Rogan's podcast. You can say they were not perceived as jokes or were even bad jokes due to needing too much context to comprehend (the monkey balls one especially so) but they were still just jokes.

Yeah, I gotta disagree.

Getting flak for a racist joke you've just written is not the same as getting flak for edgy jokes that you've written several years ago, that you've already apologized for in the past, and that were dug up by a well-known disingenuous grifter looking to take you down for political reasons (and Cernovich was open about that).

Sonmi:

Dreiko:

Yeah, I gotta disagree.

Getting flak for a racist joke you've just written is not the same as getting flak for edgy jokes that you've written several years ago, that you've already apologized for in the past, and that were dug up by a well-known disingenuous grifter looking to take you down for political reasons (and Cernovich was open about that).

Actually, they weren't racist. That's part of the context I mention. When you hear the full context it's not racist but if you lack it it comes off as such which is why I allowed for their interpretation as bad jokes.

Still, in context they were fine.

Anyhow, this is kinda off topic, just go watch her Rogan podcast on youtube for more details~

Dreiko:
Actually, they weren't racist. That's part of the context I mention. When you hear the full context it's not racist but if you lack it it comes off as such which is why I allowed for their interpretation as bad jokes.

Anyhow, this is kinda off topic, just go watch her Rogan podcast on youtube for more details~

I did watch her on Rogan, I don't buy her excuses.

Also, it would be important to compare the public reaction to the jokes in question. People were genuinely shocked by Roseann's comments, enough for her own castmates to refuse to defend her publicly, the controversy was organic. On the other hand, no one but the politically motivated cared about the Gunn thing, which was, I'll remind you, a directed ideological attempt at causing a fuss.

Sonmi:

Dreiko:

I did watch her on Rogan, I don't buy her excuses.

Also, it would be important to compare the public reaction to the jokes in question. People were genuinely shocked by Roseann's comments, enough for her own castmates to refuse to defend her publicly, the controversy was organic. On the other hand, no one but the politically motivated cared about the Gunn thing, which was, I'll remind you, a directed ideological attempt at causing a fuss.

I have no reason not to buy her excuses since she's kinda done it sounded like and kinda took the blame without fighting to protect the jobs of the people working on her show. Also she's just kinda nuts (if you saw the podcast you know) so I don't expect too much coherence out of her.

I just don't see hatred anywhere, jokes being edgy is a normal thing for comedians to do.

If you think hating on Roseanne who was tweeting about trump and who knows what else for years wasn't done by people already politically primed against her I dunno what to tell you lol.

People were shocked cause they're easy to shock and cause it was convenient to be shocked in that timing cause she gave them the excuse they were seeking to get rid of her with and cause some just lacked the context and were tricked by the mass hysteria. They fired her so reflexively that they didn't even have time to get that context. If we use twitter outrage as a measure of offense we're screwed lol. I'd rather use normal logic instead.

So these articles are now being reported:
https://www.nme.com/news/film/disney-never-looked-for-a-replacement-after-james-gunn-was-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-2463448

To be fair Disney has not confirmed them yet, but come on. It was all just a PR ploy. They had to look like they were going along with the outrage, and then waited a few months and just brought him back.
I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't ever actually 'fired', they just let that story be told, he was never off the project, and now they're just announcing he's been 'rehired'

Silentpony:
https://www.nme.com/news/film/disney-never-looked-for-a-replacement-after-james-gunn-was-fired-from-guardians-of-the-galaxy-3-2463448

To be fair Disney has not confirmed them yet, but come on. It was all just a PR ploy. They had to look like they were going along with the outrage, and then waited a few months and just brought him back.
I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't ever actually 'fired', they just let that story be told, he was never off the project, and now they're just announcing he's been 'rehired'

So the PR ploy was to piss off a majority of the fanbase by firing a well loved director and letting him go make a movie for DC while still apparently being on their payroll? That is either the stupidest PR move Disney ever made, or more likely it's BS. It would be Jussie Smollet levels of idiocy if not.

If they weren't actively looking for a director in the eight months following, it was likely because his termination caused a lot of confusion on what even to do with the next Guardians, on top of being busy with other projects like Captain Marvel, Endgame, and the next Spider-Man. I mean, they weren't even sure initially whether they would still use his script, so likely they were prepared to put Guardians 3 on the back burner till they had things figured out.

Silentpony:

Did Disney plan Gunn directing The Suicide Squad, too?

MrCalavera:

Silentpony:

Why would they care? Its DC's cinematic universe, its what, 1/5? Maybe 1.5 if you include Aquaman? DC and Marvel may have been comic book publishing rivals 30 years ago, but these are movies we're talking about. DC is nothing compared to Marvel. Disney could give DC James Gunn, Chris Evans, RDJ and Chris Pratt for Suicide Squad, it's make a cool $500Million, meanwhile Marvel is set to get over a billion for their next 5 movies.
James Gunn didn't go work for the enemy, he was tutoring that mentally challenged kid after school.

Silentpony:
Why would they care? Its DC's cinematic universe, its what, 1/5? Maybe 1.5 if you include Aquaman? DC and Marvel may have been comic book publishing rivals 30 years ago, but these are movies we're talking about. DC is nothing compared to Marvel. Disney could give DC James Gunn, Chris Evans, RDJ and Chris Pratt for Suicide Squad, it's make a cool $500Million, meanwhile Marvel is set to get over a billion for their next 5 movies.
James Gunn didn't go work for the enemy, he was tutoring that mentally challenged kid after school.

Spin it however you want, Disney/Marvel would never let one of their most important directors, the one who was (is) in charge of the cosmic side of the MCU, just take a break and go make a movie and produce another for a different company. Unless ofcourse he was actually fired and was never meant to return.

And to bring Smollet in this again, you know how baffling dumb that trick he pulled was, and how he instantly became ostracized once people found out? How fast do you think goodwill and enthusiasm for the next Guardians would dry up once people found out Gunn getting fired and then rehired was all staged by Disney and Gunn? Disney might by a souless conglomerate, but they wouldn't be stupid enough to do that.

Silentpony:

MrCalavera:

Silentpony:

4.5 actually if you actually look at the money these movies pulled in (which is more than the MCU when they started out) and DVD sales. Hell, Suicide Squad pulled in around 750 million without a China release and stayed number one for three weeks in a row.

The only thing I'd agree is Gunn wasn't working for the enemy and that's because the directors and cast members aren't as petty about these things as fans are. Hell, Gunn's actually stated he likes MoS.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here