R/P is shut down?!

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

I can't access it, its a 403:

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/index/528-Religion-and-Politics

Aw, all my favorite threads I made were there, I loved revisiting them :(

Hm.

This might explain NewClassic's shutdown of that one topic. I sent them a PM asking for clarification about it when it happened, but they havent responded. I just checked, they have seen the message though.

Uh-oh, did something significant go down in there? I didn't visit often, but I know it got tense in there at times (as one might expect in a forum focused solely on the arguably most divisive subjects...)

Information regarding the Religion & Politics subforum can be found here.

Kyle Gaddo:

'We closed it' is not really much in regards to information. I mean, it confirms it was intentional, but that's it.

Kyle Gaddo:

So, out of curiosity, does this mean threads of an R/P nature are now strictly taboo? Not trying to start a fire, just asking for knowledge purposes.

The Off-Topic subforum is available for these sorts of discussions, but we greatly encourage you to adhere to our updated code of conduct.

Kyle Gaddo:
The Off-Topic subforum is available for these sorts of discussions, but we greatly encourage you to adhere to our updated code of conduct.

Ya know people are going to complain about having political discussions in Off-Topic.

I do hope when looking for solutions, you realize you could just re-open R&P instead of shutting down any discussion.

Kyle Gaddo:

Really wish you guys would keep a changelog for that thing.

Ya know, for the 'fun' of it, I decided to see what my post count would be if it adjusted based on what is available. I am now at less than 8000 existing posts.

We were greatly aware that this decision would cause friction among our users. We did not do this on a whim. As I mentioned in the announcement post, it was a difficult decision. R&P's closure is one of the unfortunate growing pains involved with Escapist Magazine Volume Two.

I don't want to make any promises (because I am unable to), but we may implement a successor in the future. Please bear with us.

Kyle Gaddo:
We were greatly aware that this decision would cause friction among our users. We did not do this on a whim. As I mentioned in the announcement post, it was a difficult decision. R&P's closure is one of the unfortunate growing pains involved with Escapist Magazine Volume Two.

I don't want to make any promises (because I am unable to), but we may implement a successor in the future. Please bear with us.

Well, as long as political discussions are still allowed in Off-Topic, I am not going to flip out.

Honestly though, I do think keeping us, the users, more in the loop would be a good idea. I mean, supposedly things are going to get better, but most of what we see is things being taken away. I don't want to assume the worst, but we (the users) keep getting promises that are not kept.

Saelune:
Well, as long as political discussions are still allowed in Off-Topic, I am not going to flip out.

Honestly though, I do think keeping us, the users, more in the loop would be a good idea. I mean, supposedly things are going to get better, but most of what we see is things being taken away. I don't want to assume the worst, but we (the users) keep getting promises that are not kept.

They are. Please remember to adhere to our updated code of conduct.

I hear your concerns. I really do. I note and relay pretty much everything. Our users' happiness is a primary concern for everyone on the Escapist Magazine staff. There literally isn't a day that we're not discussing new things to implement or new ways to do so. Nearly everything we're doing with V2 is from the ground up. It is not a simple undertaking. I'll ask to see if there's a way we can be more transparent with some of our actions, but, as I mentioned earlier, I cannot make any promises.

rip R&P

you were the forum equivalent of a car crash

and died of a heart attack

undeadsuitor:
rip R&P

This post made R&P closing worth it.

undeadsuitor:
rip R&P

But I wish I can still see my history threads :(

So when are the locked subs gonna be removed from the drop-down list. I mean GID is still there and its been a least a few bans since that was closed.

Edited out.

Maybe this means they'll bring back the Wild West.

Probably for the best. A lot of the "Debate" was just worthless ad-hominid and personal attacks.

Moderation was pretty lax, and prone to bias due to the contention nature of the topics being discussed.

Overall, it seemed a bad fit for the current roster of Escapist Members.

This is a real shame. The R&P board here was one of the best on the internet, not just because it had a diverse range of opinions (ie: not an echo chamber), but also because you could have meaningful discussions there without other people calling you a poopy-head (unlike a lot of R&P forums elsewhere).

Saelune:
I mean, supposedly things are going to get better, but most of what we see is things being taken away.

You won't see me say this very often, but I agree with you 100%.

First it was the Wild West, and now this.

IceForce:
This is a real shame. The R&P board here was one of the best on the internet, not just because it had a diverse range of opinions (ie: not an echo chamber), but also because you could have meaningful discussions there without other people calling you a poopy-head (unlike a lot of R&P forums elsewhere).

Did we visit the same R&P? I look forward to Off Topic being swamped by multiple threads discussing whatever daft thing Trump and the Republicans did that day.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

IceForce:

Did we visit the same R&P? I look forward to Off Topic being swamped by multiple threads discussing whatever daft thing Trump and the Republicans did that day.

To be fair, we would have less threads if Trump and the republicans did less daft things.

I get it. I don't agree with it, but I get it.

I wouldn't worry. Once R&P threads start drowning out everything else in Off-Topic - and they will - people will be begging for it to be re-opened again and the staff will realize their mistake.

Users: "Hey um, there's a lot of threads about religion and politics in the Off-Topic forum, enough for them to have their own dedicated forum in fact."

Staff: "That's a great idea!"

Red Sentinel:
I wouldn't worry. Once R&P threads start drowning out everything else in Off-Topic - and they will - people will be begging for it to be re-opened again and the staff will realize their mistake.

Users: "Hey um, there's a lot of threads about religion and politics in the Off-Topic forum, enough for them to have their own dedicated forum in fact."

Staff: "That's a great idea!"

Everyone said the same thing about the wild west closing down and even faced with the forums halfing in activity the mods haven't budged on opening that back up.

In fact id say that closing down ww is what led to r&p being toxic enough for itself to be shit down.

If anything they're going to keep shutting down subforums till there's nothing left

Not really a fan of this decision. Then again there was plenty of toxic crap in there with the justification of it being political criticism or whatever. That much I'm fine with.

I still remember the days when R&P didnt exist, and off topic had a lot of threads on politics and god. This isnt going to go well, even if it is temporary.

The Wild West isnt coming back.

Lovely. The toxic waste pit is getting closed and it's only a matter of time before it all starts splashing all over everything else.

The Rogue Wolf:
Lovely. The toxic waste pit is getting closed and it's only a matter of time before it all starts splashing all over everything else.

Even 4chan knows enough to have containment boards.

Brace yourselves! Politics discussion is coming to Off-topic forums.

Can we at least have our threads rescued from oblivion and moved to Off-topic? I had a thread in R&P that I created very recently, and it was still active last I checked.

CaitSeith:
Brace yourselves! Politics discussion is coming to Off-topic forums.

It's already started

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.1056849-EU-passes-Article-13

Marik2:
The Wild West isnt coming back.

How about some positivity here.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

This thread is locked