Poll: Based on this pic, are you Gen X, Millennial, or Zoomer?

Pages PREV 1 2

Herking:

CoCage:
Brother and I are late GenX. I was born in 89 and he was in 84. In your face former Marine who was a classmate of mine!

Smithnikov:
1976, so early X.

Both of you guys are completely misreading the pic lol. The culture popularity eras are different from the birth years; look closer.

Okay, I count as an early millennial too; nothing wrong with that.

McElroy:
The Finnish version of this would form around the 90s Moomin anime -- everyone has seen it, but it's a matter of when.

Everyone has seen it and most of us have been creeped the fuck out by it. Especially by Little My.

We late 20th/21st century kids had no idea how much of a paradise we live in right now in the modern developed 1st world.

Born right at the start of '81 so technically Late Gen X, but grew up with a lot of Mid Gen X influences due to my older sister.

Also the definitions 'Gen Y' and 'Gen Z' can piss right off - Gen X was a stand-alone determination (like Baby Boomer or The Lost Generation) , it did not follow on from 'Gen W'. Get your own darn generational descriptor and stop appropriating ours, you jumped up whippersnappers!

Borned in 1987 so I'm late Gen X althought I can kinda identify Early Gen Y cultures.

I mean I don't remember watching He-Man or Voltron which my brother insist I did watched them.

I hit the deck in '86 so that's either late Gen X or early Gen Y. Australia was a bit behind on stuff like pop culture though, back in the day it took a while for all but the biggest phenomenons to reach our shores.

Baffle2:

McElroy:
The Finnish version of this would form around the 90s Moomin anime -- everyone has seen it, but it's a matter of when.

Everyone has seen it and most of us have been creeped the fuck out by it. Especially by Little My.

Some kids are just so sensitive. Stick with the Teletubbies, I guess.

Palindromemordnilap:
Mostly Core Millennial but with a dash of both Early and Late

What he said.

Early-to-core Millennial.

Herking:

CoCage:
Brother and I are late GenX. I was born in 89 and he was in 84. In your face former Marine who was a classmate of mine!

Smithnikov:
1976, so early X.

Both of you guys are completely misreading the pic lol. The culture popularity eras are different from the birth years; look closer.

Oh okay, I see what you mean.

Late Gen X in that case.

I suppose late gen X.

Grouchy Imp:
Born right at the start of '81 so technically Late Gen X, but grew up with a lot of Mid Gen X influences due to my older sister.

Also the definitions 'Gen Y' and 'Gen Z' can piss right off - Gen X was a stand-alone determination (like Baby Boomer or The Lost Generation) , it did not follow on from 'Gen W'. Get your own darn generational descriptor and stop appropriating ours, you jumped up whippersnappers!

Speaking for the post-X generations, as far as I know we were never consulted on what we wanted to be called but rather labeled by the previous generations. I would love the chance to choose generational label as opposed to being labeled by previous generations, particularly because boomers have begun using 'zoomer' as a derogatory term in retaliation to their label becoming a slur, something they have only themselves to blame for

The lack of Pokemon and Power Rangers in the Millenial bracket does NOT line up with my childhood. That stuff was obscenely popular when I was young.

CyanCat47:

Grouchy Imp:

Speaking for the post-X generations, as far as I know we were never consulted on what we wanted to be called but rather labeled by the previous generations. I would love the chance to choose generational label as opposed to being labeled by previous generations, particularly because boomers have begun using 'zoomer' as a derogatory term in retaliation to their label becoming a slur, something they have only themselves to blame for

Well to be fair I think 'Millennial' is the accepted term in place of 'Gen Y', and although 'Gen Z' seems to be sticking around for the moment if you can think of something else I'm open to ideas. 'Gen Z' is frequently called the 'iGeneration' in British media - I must admit I hadn't even heard the term 'Zoomer' until I read this thread, so ...

Baffle2:
Late Gen X/Early Gen Y, though with some Early Gen X (Scooby Doo was shown for many many years in the UK)

So we're probably about the same age. Born at the start of the 80s.

To be fair, I'm pretty sure Scooby Doo was shown well into the 90s in the US, but it wasn't a huge or new thing, usually just filler for Saturday morning cartoon blocks that were running thin.

Though my first console was an Atari 2600 (and I loved the hell out of Adventure and played more Dark Chambers than I should ever admit to), and I had a thing for several older sitcoms.

I'm a bit disappointed that they included the Dark Crystal up there under core Gen X but not the Labyrinth under Late Gen X - there's a pretty obvious comparison to be made and there's something awesome about a Jim Henson fantasy movie with David Bowie playing the villain and getting several songs.

Late Gen X as far as kids stuff goes but a lot of that stuff in Gen Y/millenial was still applicable to teenage years

Herking:

CoCage:

Smithnikov:
1976, so early X.

The pic isn't self-explanatory enough to match your question. Like, the generation we are is based on the primary audience, or on the culture we enjoy the most? Or maybe the culture that had much more impact in our way of thinking?

Herking:

Can't blame them too much. Those letters should be bigger.

In any case, late milenial according to the picture.

Core/Late Millennial. It's pretty accurate although understandably a bit America-centric. British examples for my demographic would include TV shows like Grange Hill, My Parents are Aliens and the Queen's Nose and the Demon Headmaster.

Was Club Penguin not a thing in America? It was hugely popular around 10 years ago with early Generation Z kids.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here