Star Wars Episode 9.....The Rise of Skywalker.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Oh dear....this one is gonna be a doozey for the internet with the stuff they showed off here.

Yay! Billy Dee's back!

Here's the real question though: is that Snoke or Sideous laughing at the end?

Its sad that the Prequels are now not the worst star wars trilogy

Silentpony:

They never were:

Silentpony:

Yes they are. Let's not be dramatic. New trilogy isn't particularly bad. It's just not great either. First movie was more than OK, second one was boring, but not technically bad and we still haven't seen the third one. The name sucks, but that's all we know about it so far.

I'm still not on board with them bringing Abrams back to direct and I sure hope he doesn't retcon Last Jedi, just because it was collateral damage in a blatantly political and blatantly antisemitic propaganda campaing.

Adam Jensen:

Silentpony:

Yes they are. Let's not be dramatic. New trilogy isn't particularly bad. It's just not great either. First movie was more than OK, second one was boring, but not technically bad and we still haven't seen the third one. The name sucks, but that's all we know about it so far.

I disagree entirely. The Force Awakens was the laziest star wars movie done, and Last Jedi was the worst.
For all the bullshit in the prequels, they were at least trying to do something. I haven't felt one scene in the new movies had any effort put into it. The whole thing feels like a very lazy cash-grab, not like the writers/producers had an interesting story they wanted to tell.

PsychedelicDiamond:
I'm still not on board with them bringing Abrams back to direct and I sure hope he doesn't retcon Last Jedi, just because it was collateral damage in a blatantly political and blatantly antisemitic propaganda campaing.

Antisemitic? What was the campaign?

Man this trilogy is really Bipolar. They threw the baby out with the bath water in The Last Jedi just to be different. Now it seems like they are diving head first in to nostalgia pandering to try and reel it all back in for this film. Trying to please everybody and nobody at the same time. This is all letting me down like the SW prequels again. But to the prequels credit, least it was consistent in its awfulness.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Anti-Semitic?

Silentpony:
I disagree entirely. The Force Awakens was the laziest star wars movie done, and Last Jedi was the worst.
For all the bullshit in the prequels, they were at least trying to do something. I haven't felt one scene in the new movies had any effort put into it. The whole thing feels like a very lazy cash-grab, not like the writers/producers had an interesting story they wanted to tell.

You can disagree and there's some merit to the argument that TFA is lazy (though I disagree personally). However, the prequels are not just lazy, their storytelling is actively bad. From the fact that the finale of TPM has the jedis fight an adversary we know nothing about and treats it as this incredibly poignant moment, while the space fight comes down to "boy who never touched flight controls before scores a gazillion lucky coincidences to win all on his own" to the incredibly poorly thought out idea of letting the unspecified but somewhere in her late teens Queen Amidala build a romantic rapport with a 10 year old. How about the disastrously handled arc for Anakin in AotC? How Sidious right hand is once again not properly introduced (I even forget his name) but once again played up as if he's this important rival we ought to care about? The nonsensical plot about Camino and the Clone troopers (so Sidious orders the clones, then tries to hide the fact for some reason, but his plan hinges on the clones to help prosecute the war so he can become Emperor. Alternatively, he started a losing war against the trade federation without any way to win it, lucks out on the clone troopers being ready so that he isn't murderdeathkilled by the TF when they win the war so that he can assume emergency powers).

Dislike the new movies all you like, but at least they are consistent narratively, they don't screw up important characterization or introduce weird sidekick characters for comic relief that end up universally despised. The prequels are terrible stories, the worst you can say about TFA and TLJ is that they are lazy and too eager to deconstruct the franchise respectively.

This is the literal opposite of what I wanted. The best part of TLJ was that we had potential for anything. But now we are going back to the same old stuff

Sees Lando. Yay, Lando! Sees desert planet. Booo, desert planet! Sees actual title. Boooooooo, so lame!

I have no strong feelings one way or the other about the rest of it.

THE SAGA COMES TO AN END

Thank fucking God. Awakens was a cockblock, Last Jedi was the murder of this franchise, and this looks like the defilement of the corpse. Disney, just stop. It's already dead.

PsychedelicDiamond:

...What?

Samtemdo8:

They never were

I give the prequels points just for giving us this track.

Silentpony:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Samtemdo8:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Anti-Semitic?

To reactionaries Disney has become the centerpiece of a conspiracy theory about the "Jewish subversion of American media", which is what's at the heart of the recent backlash against the new Star Wars movies and Episode 8 especially, as well as that against Captain Marvel. Usually citing mostly imagined attempts at political "virtue signalling", like the casting of female or minority actors in lead roles or the depiction of white, male characters as anything other than flawless as their proof. Believing that there is a deliberate attempt to subvert what they think of as objective western morals by control of the media. A narrative, of course, that goes back all the way to the days of the Weimar Republic and we all know how that ended.

Disney's getting the most of that, though Netflix is also a popular target. Of course it's quite comical to think of Disney, a conservative company since the days Walt himself was still alive, as an instrument of subversion, seeing how especially the MCU always had a not very subtle American conservative subtext. But the actual content of the movies matters very little, what does matter is Disney currently having a Jewish CEO and employing a number of Jewish creators which is why it's constantly under attack. And I guess they're just the biggest target.

And, you know, I hate to be the guy having to defend Disney, I don't like them, even if I do like some movies made under them. I'd be glad if they never made another Marvel movie. I resent them as a company, but obviously they are the target of a antisemitic propaganda campaign and obviously that could potentially harm a lot more people than a bunch of filthy rich movie producers.

Gethsemani:
Dislike the new movies all you like, but at least they are consistent narratively, they don't screw up important characterization or introduce weird sidekick characters for comic relief that end up universally despised. The prequels are terrible stories, the worst you can say about TFA and TLJ is that they are lazy and too eager to deconstruct the franchise respectively.

No, I think the worst you can (and should) say about this new trilogy is that they apparently had no idea where it was going. The Last Jedi threw such a wrench into every character's developement that the trailer for this new movie just feels really awkward, because it comes after the last movie which was nothing but just wheel spinning. Had TLJ actually stuck to its guns, with Rey and Kylo ditching both the Empire and the Rebelion to go off and do their own thing, I would've been genuinely interested this sequel. But now I'm sorta left with this feeling of 'eh'. Not that I'm big on Star Wars anyway, but the third movie in a trilogy (this type of trilogy anyway) should feel like this culmination of character arcs and the main conflict.

I guess that's why the Prequels seem almost more competent, because at the very least they had a proper sense of progression from beginning to end.

trunkage:
This is the literal opposite of what I wanted. The best part of TLJ was that we had potential for anything. But now we are going back to the same old stuff

TLJ already did that itself, where the most interesting thing to have ever have happened in a Star Wars movie was teased, only for the movie to revert back to the typical good guy vs. bad guy shit at the end.

PsychedelicDiamond:

To reactionaries Disney has become the centerpiece of a conspiracy theory about the "Jewish subversion of American media", which is what's at the heart of the recent backlash against the new Star Wars movies and Episode 8 especially

...That's a outlier of people that are pushing Da Jooz narrative. Mainstream backlash stems from the new trilogy just having a mountain of issues, much of which are visible even from a non-fan's perspective.

Believing that there is a deliberate attempt to subvert what they think of as objective western morals by control of the media.

I think there's certainly a deliberate attempt to subvert good storytelling, but that's unrelated.

And, you know, I hate to be the guy having to defend Disney, I don't like them, even if I do like some movies made under them. I'd be glad if they never made another Marvel movie. I resent them as a company, but obviously they are the target of a antisemitic propaganda campaign and obviously that could potentially harm a lot more people than a bunch of filthy rich movie producers.

I think you're putting too much credit on the antisemitism crowd for the negative perception of the new films.

So couple of things. So are they getting rid pf Jedis and Siths (totally on board with) and combining them and calling them Skywalkers?

Also, the laugh... Kylo Ren has been possessed by the Emperor. And this movie is actual the Exorcism of Ren to turn back into a Skywalker.

The first idea does interest me. I don't know about the second. I might wait for reviews then instead of completely dismissing it

THE SAGA COMES TO AN END

And with it this disjointed mess of a trilogy.

Who sets out to create a trilogy and then says to directors; basically do what you want, don't be bothered by what the previous movie did, just do your own thing.

trunkage:
So couple of things. So are they getting rid pf Jedis and Siths (totally on board with) and combining them and calling them Skywalkers?

Are Force Grays not canon anymore? Because I'd like for those to be brought to the forefront and just stick a saber up the asses of both.

Leg End:

trunkage:

Are Force Grays not canon anymore? Because I'd like for those to be brought to the forefront and just stick a saber up the asses of both.

Isn't that all EU. So it's been abandoned.

But perhaps not. Also did like the name Force Vray. Leave Force, Jedi and Sith at the door

Tireseas:
Yay! Billy Dee's back!

Here's the real question though: is that Snoke or Sideous laughing at the end?

Likely Sideous - or at least some character voiced by Ian McDiarmid. On the panel where this trailer was revealed, Ian came on stage. So yeah, my money is on Palpatine.

As for the film itself: eh. Im interested to see how it ends, but more out of morbid curiosity than actual excitement. I have no real love or attachment for and to any of these characters, and Disney's handling of this trilogy has been too Marvel-y for me.

I will probably watch it, but im certainly not itching to do so.

I find it kind of funny that people were so happy to see that a new trilogy was being made, and it was hard to find someone who was miserable about the whole thing, pre-release. Now news has come out that Star Wars movies are being put on ice again, and everyone simultaneously let out a sigh of relief.

I think, honestly, the only thing that I would say has been unanimously well received about this trilogy so far, The Last Jedi in particular, is just how good these films look - cinematography wise. So I guess I am looking forward to more of that.

trunkage:

Leg End:

Isn't that all EU. So it's been abandoned.

But perhaps not. Also did like the name Force Vray. Leave Force, Jedi and Sith at the door

It certainly existed in Legends, but I am pretty sure that the concept still exists in Canon.

The term Gray Jedi, or Gray, had two meanings. First, it was used by Jedi and Sith to describe Force-users who walked the line between the light and dark sides of the Force without surrendering to the dark side, and second, it described Jedi who distanced themselves from the Jedi High Council and operated outside the strictures of the Jedi Code.

-- Wookiepedia

I'd say this pretty accurately describes the character of Ahsoka Tano - a character from The Clone Wars and Rebels TV shows, who leaves the Jedi Order at the end of The Clone Wars, and then reappears in Rebels with white-coloured lightsabers. During her time in Rebels, she often criticises the Jedi order for not listening, and goes against the Jedi teachings, such as when she decides to duel Darth Vader in an attempt to avenge Anakin's death.

"The saga comes to an end"

I don't believe you.

Lets see how they will manage to piss off people this time.

Johnny Novgorod:

I don't believe you.

This

I'm a sucker for Star Wars and enjoyed the other two. I'll probably see this one in theaters too.

I do wish zontar would be here and talk about his conspiracies of star wars and disney.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Last Jedi will probably get retconed in some way. I have a feeling that this movie will be made very safe like the force awakens.

PsychedelicDiamond:

Me too. I never really liked JJ works. He's known for copying stuff more so than, doing some things original. That said, I liked Force Awakens. Last Jedi I thought was good, and at least tries something different. The only thing I hated about Last Jedi was Admiral Holdo. I did not like her at all. Fuck this character! At least we will never have to see her again. Otherwise, TLJ is a solid B.

The Rise of Skywalker is looking great and I am excited for December. After this, I'm done with most things Star Wars. I was always more of a casual fan. I played a few of the games, watched both of the Clone Wars cartoons, and never bothered with the novels. I found the books boring, and I don't care what anyone's response is on the matter. There is nothing left for me, and it's been a fun ride.

Johnny Novgorod:

I don't believe you.

True. See above your quote.

Silentpony:

The prequel trilogy gets way too much hate. The PRQ trilogy as a whole is okay. Episode I is mediocre, Episode II is a snore fest, and Episode III is good and entertaining. My score for each one would be like this:

Episode I - 6/10
Episode II - 5/10
Episode III - 7/10

Silentpony:

PsychedelicDiamond:

Something about Galacticism probably.

I'm a long time player of SWTOR. Earlier today I logged in, heard that the Teaser had "JUST BEEN RELEASED!!!" and promptly checked it out.

I loved it and shared a few comments w/ my guildmates whom range everywhere from Pro to Con as far as the new trilogy is concern. In the meantime the General Chat was going effing bonkers with every kind of response you could imagine.

KEY: The response from thw Escapist's (small) select representation of STAR WARS: The Rise of Skywalker Teaser Trailer has been overwhelmingly far more antagonistic than even that of the reactions made by SWTOR players who vulgarly laud their infinite hatred towards the new Trilogy. In. The. General. Chat.

Yeah, to my mind that says so much about...

Suffice to say that the response to the Teaser Trailer---away from The Escapist---has been notably (even staggeringly) far more positive than what is This site's seeminginly-reflexive: "New Stars Wars Film"? Damn it w/out hesitation!!!"

Not impressed by this site's comments so far. Don't expect to be.

They really ought to make it illegal to put the word 'Rise' in a movie title.

As for the trailer- I'm just waiting for the Goldmember spoof of it

Man... After the last 2 movies, honestly, fuck this thing. Also, what a seriously bleh title. Rise of Skywalker? He's DEAD, he's not rising from anywhere but the grave! Unless it's some other person named Skywalker. In which case, I can't wait to see what kind of madness they come up with. This whole trilogy was such a waste of potential.

Leg End:

I give the prequels points just for giving us this track.

God this song is fucking amazing, easily my favourite part of the whole prequel trilogy. I don't even care the fight was choreographed nonsense. It was neat and this song made it even better. Really wish I could use it in my D&D campaign somewhere without it being super obvious where its from, it's a little too iconic I feel.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here