Star Wars Episode 9.....The Rise of Skywalker.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

So, if nothing else, I like the trailer. Good tease, doesn't give away too much.

But of course, that's not what we're really here for are we?

Tireseas:

Here's the real question though: is that Snoke or Sideous laughing at the end?

Sideous.

That isn't a guess, Ian McDermid's confirmed to have a role in the film. Andy Serkis hasn't.

Gethsemani:
somewhere in her late teens Queen Amidala build a romantic rapport with a 10 year old.

Anakin's 9, Padme's 14 in the first film.

Also, the rapport doesn't really begin until Ep. 2. That said, I can certainly understand why Anakin's attracted to Padme, but not so much the other way round.

trunkage:

Also, the laugh... Kylo Ren has been possessed by the Emperor. And this movie is actual the Exorcism of Ren to turn back into a Skywalker.

God no.

I'm mixed on the idea of Palpatine coming back, but him possessing Ben? No. Just no.

Marik2:
I do wish zontar would be here and talk about his conspiracies of star wars and disney.

I actually miss Zontar too sometimes. The debates could be fun. Plus, always good to have an alternate opinion.

On the other hand, if I have to read one more "Star Wars is SJWz!" thread, then screw it. I'm fine with people disliking Last Jedi. Just have some ground to stand on while doing so.

CoCage:

Episode I - 6/10
Episode II - 5/10
Episode III - 7/10

Agree. Heck, I'd make Ep. 3 an 8/10.

I can't say which trilogy is better so far, because while TFA/TLJ are above Ep. 1/2, no Disney film has so far reached RotS.

Tanis:

I HOPE they don't recon Rey into a Skywalker.

Oh don't worry, she'll be retconned into being a Kenobi. :P

But seriously, don't alter Rey's parentage. PLEASE. Not everyone needs to be related to everyone.

Marik2:
I think Star Wars would work better if it was a high budget live action tv show.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Mandalorian

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Untitled_Cassian_Andor_television_series

Agema:

I recommend anyone checks out Spaced, S2E1, to reflect how a lot of us felt about Phantom Menace: e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkCJDkG3fg

TBH, you could use that same scene and address it to people who were introduced to the series with the sequel trilogy as well.

Wintermute:
That's a really uninspired trailer. I liked the part where the dude was fixing Darth Whatever's helmet for some reason,

I think it's Kylo Ren fixing his own helmet.

No one's ever really gone.

Kwak:

CoCage:

Kwak:

Never seen that. Where did that happen?

Look at any of their recent Star War reviews of Rouge One and TLJ and you'll see what I'm talking about. They also have contempt for nerd culture as a whole. Especially the Star Wars fandom. In their videos, they act smug as fuck without having to back up much. I don't keep with their content, because I have no respect for anyone on the staff and I won't support people who go out of their way to insult other fandoms; regardless if they "deserved" it or not. It's one thing to not like something, it's another where you think you're better than certain groups due liking/disliking whatever the opposite opinion is. RLM is the friend annoyance no ones likes, and nobody want to be within 50 ft of. Well for me anyway.

I dont know, just sounds like you're not into their particular brand of cynical schtick. I've never seen them try to pass off anything as other than just their opinion.

Anyway, speaking of, their trailer response.

I usually don't mind cynical humor most of the time, but they suck at it. I apologize, but I am not watching their response video. Not interested. I do thank you for your response, though.

Gethsemani:

Asita:

Respectfully, you're stretching to make that claim. Empire Strikes Back had a chase scene from Hoth to hiding in the Asteroid field, at which point the chase was interrupted and the Falcon got a reprieve to make repairs. The chase ended in full with the Star Destroyers going to hyperspace and the Falcon flying off to Bespin.

The chase, technically, ends when Darth Vader shows up in the Bespin dining room and the protagonists realize that they've been caught. There's a lull in the chase at some points (the asteroid, the trick to fool the star destroyers), but the Empire always picks up the trail and continues the chase. The fact that the Star Destroyers end up chasing the Falcon again after the asteroid field and has Han resorting to docking on the side of one of the SDs to throw them off shows that the chase was still on. Then we see Boba Fett fly after the Falcon when it leaves the Star Destroyer and it is a clear implication that the chase wasn't over. It just isn't a high octane outrunning big guns chase anymore.

Technically true, but in the same sense that Catch Me If You Can can be described as such. In both cases it's less a singular chase and more a cat and mouse setup. Chase, escape, chase, escape, chase, escape. Contrast with the Last Jedi wherein the fact that it's an uninterrupted sequence wherein escape is not possible is what sets Poe, Finn, and Rose's subplots in action. I suppose you might call it a chase siege.

Hawki:

CoCage:

Episode I - 6/10
Episode II - 5/10
Episode III - 7/10

Agree. Heck, I'd make Ep. 3 an 8/10.

I can't say which trilogy is better so far, because while TFA/TLJ are above Ep. 1/2, no Disney film has so far reached RotS.

TFA more or less has the same score as ROTS. TFA has the slight advantage due to going back to practical effects, and bringing back the fight choreography of the older Star Wars films. TLJ does the light saber fighting even better. TLJ is an 8/10 for me by the way.

The prequel trilogy while having entertaining lightstaber scenses felt way too flashy and didn't invest me as much. ROTS though while still having the overly flashy problem, I found more invested in than the fights from Episode I & II.

This guy explains a bit more thorough.

will see this, will probably enjoy it. but will only keep discussion with people in real life meatspace and no internet with the eternally toxic cycles of baffling vitriol

Neurotic Void Melody:
will see this, will probably enjoy it. but will only keep discussion with people in real life meatspace and no internet with the eternally toxic cycles of baffling vitriol

I'm with you there. You won't believe how many "Rey/SJWs/'forced diversity' ruined Star Wars", or the "Last Jedi is the worse thing ever" video pops up in my YouTube recommendation list. I swear, I never even touch these videos, yet YT keeps putting them in there. And what sucks is some of these videos get a view count in the 500k-1M+ mark. How sad and pathetic are these haters? Just earlier, there was a video titled "How Disney does not get Lightsabers". This is partially why I've always been a casual SW fan.

CoCage:
I'm with you there. You won't believe how many "Rey/SJWs/'forced diversity' ruined Star Wars", or the "Last Jedi is the worse thing ever" video pops up in my YouTube recommendation list. I swear, I never even touch these videos, yet YT keeps putting them in their. And what sucks is some of these videos get a view count in the 500k-1M+ mark. How sad and pathetic are these haters. Just earlier, there was a video titled "How Disney does not get Lightsabers". This is partially why I've always been a casual SW fan.

luckily have managed to avoid most of those appearing in the recommends, but have been rather cautious with what I choose to watch. they do slip through occasionally. I wonder if those views are that high purely due to controversy, where half the watching are there only to learn what stupidity is fueling it, another quarter being rewatches from the particularly obsessive and the rest being whatever else (fractions may vary). have always preferred to remain a casual appreciator of anything really, no matter how brilliant, can't get into a fan mindset, maybe due to a chronic fear of commitment, maybe not

CoCage:

Neurotic Void Melody:

I'm with you there. You won't believe how many "Rey/SJWs/'forced diversity' ruined Star Wars", or the "Last Jedi is the worse thing ever" video pops up in my YouTube recommendation list. I swear, I never even touch these videos, yet YT keeps putting them in there. And what sucks is some of these videos get a view count in the 500k-1M+ mark. How sad and pathetic are these haters. Just earlier, there was a video titled "How Disney does not get Lightsabers". This is partially why I've always been a casual SW fan.

TFA made a billion dollars. Thats probably 50 million views. 1 million views, even if they are all anti-SJW, is such a small portion of the total viewership

If JJ decides to make Rey a Skywalker i will laugh and laugh and laugh...

Adam Jensen:

Silentpony:
Its sad that the Prequels are now not the worst star wars trilogy

Yes they are. Let's not be dramatic. New trilogy isn't particularly bad. It's just not great either. First movie was more than OK, second one was boring, but not technically bad and we still haven't seen the third one. The name sucks, but that's all we know about it so far.

Exactly. Feel like prequels are lately granted weird nostalgia cover paint, by not being as fresh wound as the new trilogy in the minds of fanboys.
And wanna talk lazy? Look at behind-the-scenes materials and Lucas work on the set.

MrCalavera:

Adam Jensen:

Silentpony:
Its sad that the Prequels are now not the worst star wars trilogy

Yes they are. Let's not be dramatic. New trilogy isn't particularly bad. It's just not great either. First movie was more than OK, second one was boring, but not technically bad and we still haven't seen the third one. The name sucks, but that's all we know about it so far.

Exactly. Feel like prequels are lately granted weird nostalgia cover paint, by not being as fresh wound as the new trilogy in the minds of fanboys.
And wanna talk lazy? Look at behind-the-scenes materials and Lucas work on the set.

Pretty much this.

I mean, I basically hated The Last Jedi but it's still better than Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace. Phantom Menace literally has 1 good scene in it, and it's a really good scene, but the rest of the movie is just crap, and the people who claim otherwise are all wearing nostalgia blinders.

The Force Awakens is fine. It's safe, it's a little boring, it's a complete retread of A New Hope, but I don't really see much wrong with it other than it being too safe and unoriginal. Visually it's great spectacle, and the writing and acting is fine. Overall an above average movie.

CoCage:

TFA more or less has the same score as ROTS. TFA has the slight advantage due to going back to practical effects, and bringing back the fight choreography of the older Star Wars films. TLJ does the light saber fighting even better. TLJ is an 8/10 for me by the way.

The prequel trilogy while having entertaining lightstaber scenses felt way too flashy and didn't invest me as much. ROTS though while still having the overly flashy problem, I found more invested in than the fights from Episode I & II.

I'm mixed on this.

If someone says that the lightsaber duels in Ep. 1/2 lack emotional investment, I get where they're coming from, even if they're a marvel to look at (well, the Ep. 1 one is at least). However, TFA has the opposite problem for me in that while there's certainly emotional investment there, it's terrible to watch. This isn't calm and collected like the OT, or flashy like the PT, it's simply Rey and Kylo flailing around. It reminded me of the type of swordfights I'd have as a kid. It's made even worse that Rey beats Kylo - you can explain how it happened (if you stretch things), but from a writing perspective, I can't justify why it happened. It undercuts any potential tension between the two at this point, because Rey's faced Kylo twice, and won each time. Imagine if in the OT, Luke beat Vader in a lightsaber duel as soon as Obi-Wan disappeared.

TLJ is a bit better, but the throne room duel is still too clunky for me. Again, good emotional moment, but I'm really not a fan of the 'heaviness' aspect the video you posted describes. Lightsabers are near weightless. They're a hilt projecting energy, which has no weight, because it has no mass. Now obviously lightsabers have some mass somehow because of space magic, but it's disconcerting to see them wielded like actual swords.

"The saga comes to an end"

30 seconds later.

"No one is ever really gone"

Gaaaaaah.

Johnny Novgorod:

30 seconds later.

Gaaaaaah.

Same energy.

Dirty Hipsters:

MrCalavera:

Adam Jensen:

Pretty much this.

I mean, I basically hated The Last Jedi but it's still better than Attack of the Clones and Phantom Menace. Phantom Menace literally has 1 good scene in it, and it's a really good scene, but the rest of the movie is just crap, and the people who claim otherwise are all wearing nostalgia blinders.

The Force Awakens is fine. It's safe, it's a little boring, it's a complete retread of A New Hope, but I don't really see much wrong with it other than it being too safe and unoriginal. Visually it's great spectacle, and the writing and acting is fine. Overall an above average movie.

The only scene I remember from AotC was Yoda's lightsaber fight. They finally made Yoda look badass and then promptly forgot about that for the rest of the trilogy. I remember pod racing (I played the game a lot so I might be biased) and the final light sabre fight. Everything else was just forgettable. I didn't even see RotS at the cinemas, the first two were that bad.

Hawki:

CoCage:

I'm mixed on this.

If someone says that the lightsaber duels in Ep. 1/2 lack emotional investment, I get where they're coming from, even if they're a marvel to look at (well, the Ep. 1 one is at least). However, TFA has the opposite problem for me in that while there's certainly emotional investment there, it's terrible to watch. This isn't calm and collected like the OT, or flashy like the PT, it's simply Rey and Kylo flailing around. It reminded me of the type of swordfights I'd have as a kid. It's made even worse that Rey beats Kylo - you can explain how it happened (if you stretch things), but from a writing perspective, I can't justify why it happened. It undercuts any potential tension between the two at this point, because Rey's faced Kylo twice, and won each time. Imagine if in the OT, Luke beat Vader in a lightsaber duel as soon as Obi-Wan disappeared.

TLJ is a bit better, but the throne room duel is still too clunky for me. Again, good emotional moment, but I'm really not a fan of the 'heaviness' aspect the video you posted describes. Lightsabers are near weightless. They're a hilt projecting energy, which has no weight, because it has no mass. Now obviously lightsabers have some mass somehow because of space magic, but it's disconcerting to see them wielded like actual swords.

Granted, that was the entire point for the final fight in TFA; both Rey and Kylo were inexperienced. More so the former, but that's why their hits and strikes come off as more brutal than the other trilogies. Not to mention, Kylo is near constantly filled with rage. For me, it works. Plus, Kylo took some punishment before fighting either Finn and Rey. He did get shot by Chewie. TLJ's final fight in the guard room is great and well choreographed. You see how Rey and Kylo improve in their combat, but they're not masters yet. ROS will take that concept to its logical conclusion.

CoCage:
TLJ's final fight in the guard room is great and well choreographed. You see how Rey and Kylo improve in their combat, but they're not masters yet. ROS will take that concept to its logical conclusion.

Apparently they got better in just a few days.

Yeah, y'know when people call Rey a Mary Sue? This is part of the reason why. And in this specific scene, it's not like Kylo is exempt from Sueness/Stuness either. Like, what, he can't beat Rey one on one, but he can now take on Imperial guards? Like, what, did they not train hard enough themselves?

The throne room scene doesn't bother me nearly as much as TFA, but it bothers me all the same.

trunkage:

Dirty Hipsters:

MrCalavera:

Pretty much this.

The only scene I remember from AotC was Yoda's lightsaber fight. They finally made Yoda look badass and then promptly forgot about that for the rest of the trilogy. I remember pod racing (I played the game a lot so I might be biased) and the final light sabre fight. Everything else was just forgettable. I didn't even see RotS at the cinemas, the first two were that bad.

I actually absolutely hate the scene in Attack of the Clones where Yoda fights Duku. It makes no sense for Yoda or Sidius to use a lightsaber. They're both so old and so force powerful that they should be able to win with pure force powers without ever having to touch a lightsaber. Seeing Yoda jump around like a ninja doesn't look cool to me, it looks silly.

I would have much preferred if Yoda walked into the room, saw Anakin and Obi-Wan wounded on the ground, a couple of lightsabers floated out from his robe and automatically started attacking Duku and forced him back while Yoda just casually strolled over to Anakin and Obi-Wan to see if they're ok. Don't make the most powerful force-wielders expects in lightsaber combat, make them forces of nature who don't actually need a weapon.

So... that's it?

The trailer shows nothing. What is there to be excited for?

Johnny Novgorod:

30 seconds later.

Gaaaaaah.

Merchandising > Death

Hawki:
Like, what, he can't beat Rey one on one, but he can now take on Imperial guards? Like, what, did they not train hard enough themselves?

I'm pretty sure that Kylo was not trying to beat Rey in TFA. I thought that he was trying to convince her to leave with him.

twistedmic:

Hawki:
Like, what, he can't beat Rey one on one, but he can now take on Imperial guards? Like, what, did they not train hard enough themselves?

I'm pretty sure that Kylo was not trying to beat Rey in TFA. I thought that he was trying to convince her to leave with him.

Well no, but he was shot in the stomach by Chewie's laser crossbow, the one that Han Solo earlier in the movie shot a stormtrooper with knocking the guy ten feet away. People calling Rey a Mary Sue always seem to conveniently forget this. Also that she grew up in a harsh environment where she needed to be able to fight to survive.

I don't even like this character, but whenever someone throws out a 'Mary Sue' I have to unfortunately defend her.

twistedmic:

Hawki:

That and he had a fresh wound from a weapon that regularly toss ordinary stormtroopers 10 feet back on hit. That he wasn't operating at his peak, like he later does in the throne room, was sort of a given.

Gethsemani:

twistedmic:

Hawki:

That and he had a fresh wound from a weapon that regularly toss ordinary stormtroopers 10 feet back on hit. That he wasn't operating at his peak, like he later does in the throne room, was sort of a given.

Heck, Kylo took lightsaber hit from Finn "only guy to lose a lightsaber melee with a Stormtrooper in the history of Star Wars" NoLastName.

That Rey ended up being competent in the throne room fight was probably her trusting way too much in the Force. She was a hair's breadth away from going Dark Side.

Casual Shinji:

twistedmic:

Hawki:

Well no, but he was shot in the stomach by Chewie's laser crossbow, the one that Han Solo earlier in the movie shot a stormtrooper with knocking the guy ten feet away. People calling Rey a Mary Sue always seem to conveniently forget this. Also that she grew up in a harsh environment where she needed to be able to fight to survive.

I don't even like this character, but whenever someone throws out a 'Mary Sue' I have to unfortunately defend her.

Thank you. Mary Sue is a term that has been way overused for the past decade so much its lost all meaning.

Gethsemani:

twistedmic:

Hawki:

Yep, what I mentioned to Hawki earlier.

CoCage:
Thank you. Mary Sue is a term that has been way overused for the past decade so much its lost all meaning.

The meaning hasn't been lost it's just been weirdly shifted. It used to be a character who has no flaws and is admired by everyone, meaning they experience little to no struggle. Now it's just someone (usually a girl) who is deemed too physically competent. And to pull Rey back into this, even if she was that good just cuz she still has plenty of emotional issues.

Casual Shinji:

CoCage:

The meaning hasn't been lost it's just been weirdly shifted. It used to be a character who has no flaws and is admired by everyone, meaning they experience little to no struggle. Now it's just someone (usually a girl) who is deemed too physically competent. And to pull Rey back into this, even if she was that good just cuz she still has plenty of emotional issues.

For me at least, it's lost all meaning. I've seen so many people misuse or throw the term around not meaning its original meaning. If the definition shifts gears then that might as well be the case. Unless the majority start using the correct term, as far as I'm concerned, the term has been lost.

Thank you for pointing out Rey has flaws. I know you don't like the character and I don't have a problem with that. It's just nice to see a person who dislikes the character, but doesn't come off as an asshole.

Agema:

I recommend anyone checks out Spaced, S2E1, to reflect how a lot of us felt about Phantom Menace: e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUkCJDkG3fg

OMG... it's like they were filming me yelling at my nephews and nieces. Damn you Alexa. Who knew you had a camera.

Seriously though: Razorfist warned us that when Disney was done wringing the cash out of us, we'd be begging for the quality of the prequels.

I liked Revenge of the Sith. They came THIS close to getting it reasonably correct: making me care that a conflicted Anakin could turn to the dark side.

The sequels? A disgusting mess. Even I MIGHT have liked the Last Jedi had they stuck to their guns: end the light/dark dichotomy. Rae should have run off with Kylo but they chickened out. We were left wondering, WTF do we even want to see next?

The idea of Last Jedi, at its best, was about doing away with the past. 9 is saying screw you 8. We're bringing back Darth Sidious! A complete cop out. Will it come to Netflix or the new Disney Streaming service?

Just tossing out another theory; 'Skywalker' is now what Kylo Ren is calling himself, since he's going back into his 'emulate Vader' phase and the Rise of Skywalker is a bad thing, because its Kylo taking some power for himself

Palindromemordnilap:
Just tossing out another theory; 'Skywalker' is now what Kylo Ren is calling himself, since he's going back into his 'emulate Vader' phase and the Rise of Skywalker is a bad thing, because its Kylo taking some power for himself

That could work. "The Rise of Skywalker" need not be a good thing. Rather than the end of the saga, give us a reason to care. Give us a reason to want to see the story continued.

Gorfias:

Seriously though: Razorfist warned us that when Disney was done wringing the cash out of us, we'd be begging for the quality of the prequels.

I was an undergrad when the prequels came out. I was in the SF&Fantasy society, and there was disquiet even before Phantom Menace that they'd never live up to the originals. That's the problem, really. Loving the idea of new content, but fearing all it will mostly do is run a legend into mediocrity.

When I heard it'd been sold to Disney I sort of knew the only likely direction in the end would be downwards. One of the nice things about Lucas in charge was his emotional connection (even if we might wish he'd written the scripts and then let another director make the films). Disney is just a soulless megacorp interested mostly in gouging IP for all it's worth. Even Lucas was I think suffering seller's remorse: he found his opinion completely ignored and cut out when he had suggestions for the sequels. He should have done what the Broccolis did with James Bond and kept it more in-house with people who really cherished it.

Agema:

Gorfias:

I was an undergrad when the prequels came out. I was in the SF&Fantasy society, and there was disquiet even before Phantom Menace that they'd never live up to the originals. That's the problem, really. Loving the idea of new content, but fearing all it will mostly do is run a legend into mediocrity.

When I heard it'd been sold to Disney I sort of knew the only likely direction in the end would be downwards. One of the nice things about Lucas in charge was his emotional connection (even if we might wish he'd written the scripts and then let another director make the films). Disney is just a soulless megacorp interested mostly in gouging IP for all it's worth. Even Lucas was I think suffering seller's remorse: he found his opinion completely ignored and cut out when he had suggestions for the sequels. He should have done what the Broccolis did with James Bond and kept it more in-house with people who really cherished it.

Now you have me fantasizing about the Broccolis taking over Star Wars. "The name's Solo. Han Solo."

skywolfblue:
What is there to be excited for?

Sheev, baby!

I'm only half-joking here. I think i will see the movie. Mostly, because i am morbidly curious what are JJs plans, for what TLJ left him with. But Ian McDiarmid was one of the few good things about the prequels, so i'm hoping he'll be as hammy here as he was in ROTS.

MrCalavera:
Sheev, baby!

I'm only half-joking here. I think i will see the movie. Mostly, because i am morbidly curious what are JJs plans, for what TLJ left him with. But Ian McDiarmid was one of the few good things about the prequels, so i'm hoping he'll be as hammy here as he was in ROTS.

Hell yeah, I'm also totally on board with the Emperor returning. I want Ian McDiarmid to voraciously chew every bit of scenery he's in. Every square centimeter of set that doesn't have teethmarks on it, is one centimeter too much.

Marik2:
https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/15/rise-of-sigh-walker/

He seems sarcastic about the idea that Kathleen Kennedy et. al. went about making these movies with no road map but that seems likely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ceb37npZCEk

I do like his noting that plot guessing is a waste of time. Pirates of the Caribbean 3 convinced me of that. 2 made me guess so much, trying to figure out logical explanations for things I thought 3 would be explaining. Nope.

So, who knows what this is going to be about.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here