Notre Dame Cathedral is Burning Badly right now.

Pages PREV 1 2

At least it seem the most iconic parts of the building (To me at any rate) the west side towers, are still standing.

CrazyGirl17:
You know what sucks? Some people are blaming politics for this whole mess. God, I hate people sometimes...

Even if it was a total accident with nothing to do with politics, it'd be no surprise if someone didn't try scoring political points by blaming someone or other for this.

Specter Von Baren:
At least it seem the most iconic parts of the building (To me at any rate) the west side towers, are still standing.

Thus far. The Iconic tower that fell was relatively recent, mid 1800's I think. But this was the first Gothic Cathedral made, and those buildings had good strong stone for most of it. The roof was wood, so that went up. I wonder how the glass stood up against the heat? 400 foot flames has to produce something.

Thaluikhain:

CrazyGirl17:
You know what sucks? Some people are blaming politics for this whole mess. God, I hate people sometimes...

Even if it was a total accident with nothing to do with politics, it'd be no surprise if someone didn't try scoring political points by blaming someone or other for this.

The conspiracy machine was running rampant from the usual culture warriors, so easy bet.

They're trying to tie it into a handful of robberies/vandalisms and a single arson committed by thieves/bored teens/satanists/bored-teens-playing-at-satanists going after largely abandoned churches.

'Course, instead of thieves/bored teens/satanists/bored-teens-playing-at-satanists, they're trying to pin it on you-know-who, despite synagogues and mosques being subject to similar attacks.

Leg End:
Bit of good news, at least. The paintings, crown of thorns, holy sacraments, all good. Though one or two news sources are now saying "some" of the paintings were saved, so I suppose we'll see.

What? The literal, actual crown of thorns from Jesus's crucifixion?

Kwak:

Leg End:
Bit of good news, at least. The paintings, crown of thorns, holy sacraments, all good. Though one or two news sources are now saying "some" of the paintings were saved, so I suppose we'll see.

What? The literal, actual crown of thorns from Jesus's crucifiction?

It's like the Shroud of Turin - very 'real'.

trunkage:
Yeah, this is about as bad as Westboro blaming cyclones in Austrlaia for the people voting for same sex marriage or Trump blaming job destruction and crime on immigrants or the Pope blaming sex abuse in the Catholic Church on the sexual revolution.

While I can't see that Tweet (it's gone), I'd say that someone on Twitter saying something (I'm guessing about how Catholics are bad), isn't even close to the previous head of the Church saying 'It's not our fault so many priests are child abusers, it's a side effect of women wearing short skirts'.

trunkage:

Kwak:

Leg End:

What? The literal, actual crown of thorns from Jesus's crucifiction?

It's like the Shroud of Turin - very 'real'.

I'm possibly being too naive here.
I also learned my spelling is not very good. ( it's crucifixion apparently, though cruci-fiction has a certain unintended anti-establishment ring to it.)

Baffle2:

trunkage:
Yeah, this is about as bad as Westboro blaming cyclones in Austrlaia for the people voting for same sex marriage or Trump blaming job destruction and crime on immigrants or the Pope blaming sex abuse in the Catholic Church on the sexual revolution.

While I can't see that Tweet (it's gone), I'd say that someone on Twitter saying something (I'm guessing about how Catholics are bad), isn't even close to the previous head of the Church saying 'It's not our fault so many priests are child abusers, it's a side effect of women wearing short skirts'.

It's a lot easier for him than to say; Hey priests, you can have wives now, celibacy isn't that fun anyway, live it up.

As for the Notre Dame, it's a bit sad to see that old architecture go up in flames, but I'm sure they'll renovate the destroyed parts so I'm not too fuzzed about it.

At least it seems to mainly just be the roof that burned. Thats pretty easy to replace, even if the original beams are gone it was never really the interior people think about when they think of Notre Dame. They made old buildings to last thankfully. Though I dread to think what the tunnels below it look like now with all that water.

It's weird witnessing stuff like this because it's one of those moments where it feels like you're witnessing history but at the same time it'll just be a minor fact about a building. 80 years from now when bored kids are being taught about the 2010-2020 period they'll be bored being taught about how God Emperor Trump saved the pandas and won the Middle Eastern Sand War and no one will care about a fire in a church, but we'll all probably remember it for the rest of our lives.

Also fuck the people celebrating it. I don't understand how people can't separate art from the artist or what a monument to human endeavour is. Christians can still admire the Great Mosque of Djenne, Muslims can still admire Notre Dame. People who can't appreciate that certain places and works of art transcend politics and religion and become a part of humanities collective culture are literal brainlets and need to be slapped up sharp because its people like that that hold everyone back.

And also fuck the people who only care because it's European and they could actually see it burning. I don't remember this amount of sadness when ISIS were going around bulldozing and blowing up Iraqi and Syrian monuments.

Kwak:

What? The literal, actual crown of thorns from Jesus's crucifixion?

Alleged components and such, yes. There's no way in hell that it could ever be verified as genuine, but they value it nonetheless. I can only imagine that the dude who rushed that out felt quite special, real or not.

Kwak:

I'm possibly being too naive here.

I mean, who knows? It's not impossible that such a thing could have been preserved, just highly unlikely.

Really awful. I was watching the news like mad Dter I heard and it was so bad when the news seemed entirely grim at first. At one point they even said they thought they could lose it all. Thankfully that didn't turn out to be the case

Here Comes Tomorrow:
At least it seems to mainly just be the roof that burned. Thats pretty easy to replace, even if the original beams are gone it was never really the interior people think about when they think of Notre Dame. They made old buildings to last thankfully. Though I dread to think what the tunnels below it look like now with all that water.

Everything that got soaked from the fire fighting effort, which looking at interior shots post-fire looks like most of the building, will probably still need to be either replaced or have extensive work done to it to prevent long-term problems from water damage. Not to diminish the firemen's efforts of course. Water damage is a reality of fire fighting, and preferable to burning to the ground.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Also fuck the people celebrating it. I don't understand how people can't separate art from the artist or what a monument to human endeavour is. Christians can still admire the Great Mosque of Djenne, Muslims can still admire Notre Dame. People who can't appreciate that certain places and works of art transcend politics and religion and become a part of humanities collective culture are literal brainlets and need to be slapped up sharp because its people like that that hold everyone back.

When The Church of Satan is sending out condolences, on what level of pigheaded twattery must be people who celebrate it?

I don't remember this amount of sadness when ISIS were going around bulldozing and blowing up Iraqi and Syrian monuments.

Eh, depends where you were around i guess. I remember plenty of outrage over what ISIS did to Palmyra.

trunkage:

RaikuFA:

CrazyGirl17:

Others are saying it?s deserved because it?s a Catholic Church.

People are disgusting monsters.

Edit: or saying it doesn?t matter cause other things are happening in the world.

https://twitter.com/jessbhdz/status/1117867072438988800?s=21

Even if some people in the Catholic Church did the wrong thing, not all of them have. The Notre Dame literally did nothing. It's a building.

On top of that it's just as important for the amount of art it contains. It's a important part of France. It'd be just as bad as if someone destroyed the Pyramids or if you built stuff over the Nazca lines.

Baffle2:

trunkage:

She was saying "don't feel bad because worse things are happening in this world".

RaikuFA:

She was saying "don't feel bad because worse things are happening in this world".

In that, she's technically correct, there are worse things happening. OTOH, it's possible to care about multiple things at once and so to feel bad about the fire as well as other things that are, by most standards, worse. Any loss of life in the fire would've made it a significantly greater tragedy than having to repair the building, but people die unnecessarily all the time and we don't, by and large, care that much.

What the ex-Pope said was definitely worse than that Tweet though.

MrCalavera:

Eh, depends where you were around i guess. I remember plenty of outrage over what ISIS did to Palmyra.

I think here people were angry about it rather than sad. It felt not that people were losing something themselves, but that they didn't like what the people they hated were doing to someone else. Or, I suppose, it's the difference between a deliberate act and what, so far, I think is being considered an accident.

Coincidently, this happened at the same time

Thaluikhain:

In France such things rarely happen, in Jerusalem you're describing a Tuesday.

Okay, maybe not that frequently. The 3rd of a month.

Thaluikhain:

CrazyGirl17:

That didn't take long...
https://www.theepochtimes.com/isis-propaganda-group-celebrates-notre-dame-fire-as-retribution_2881770.html

Gorfias:

Thaluikhain:

CrazyGirl17:

That didn't take long...
https://www.theepochtimes.com/isis-propaganda-group-celebrates-notre-dame-fire-as-retribution_2881770.html

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/janelytvynenko/notre-dame-hoax-timeline

A lot of it going round.

Good news, and I suspect will be an article on this site's main page soon enough: Assassin Creed: Unit will be used to help recreate the Cathedral!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-video-game-assassins-creed-could-help-in-its-restoration/

saint of m:
Good news, and I suspect will be an article on this site's main page soon enough: Assassin Creed: Unit will be used to help recreate the Cathedral!

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/notre-dame-cathedral-fire-video-game-assassins-creed-could-help-in-its-restoration/

Related to this, Ubisoft has pledged upwards of 500,000 Euros ($564,000) to the restoration and is offering Assassin's Creed Unity for free (via their website or Uplay) until April 25, "to give everyone the chance to experience the majesty and beauty of Notre-Dame the best way we know how". And to give them credit, Unity was a hot mess, but the architecture is something to behold, with Notre Dame being very nearly at a 1:1 ratio.

Asita:

saint of m:

Related to this, Ubisoft has pledged upwards of 500,000 Euros ($564,000) to the restoration and is offering Assassin's Creed Unity for free (via their website or Uplay) until April 25, "to give everyone the chance to experience the majesty and beauty of Notre-Dame the best way we know how". And to give them credit, Unity was a hot mess, but the architecture is something to behold, with Notre Dame being very nearly at a 1:1 ratio.

It's interesting that we consider it good level design when the "designer" literally takes a blueprint and copies it. Possibly one of the easier level design jobs one could have.

Abomination:

Asita:

saint of m:

It's interesting that we consider it good level design when the "designer" literally takes a blueprint and copies it. Possibly one of the easier level design jobs one could have.

I'm...uncertain what you're responding to, as my point was about the beauty of the architecture it recreated, not the quality of its level design or creativity.

Asita:
I'm...uncertain what you're responding to, as my point was about the beauty of the architecture it recreated, not the quality of its level design or creativity.

Sorry, was just providing context to my musing. Not a criticism or an attempt to discredit your preferences in any way. I too like that such things are recreated in "historical" games, just do not consider them an incredible feat of design.

topkek... I'm sad the monument is gone, happy I got to see it as a child. I'm mostly laughing now because it just shows to me the natural decline of churches in France. There's a national architectural competition for replacing the spire, and I for one would love it if they built a minaret there. The Hagia Sofia weeps, and Notre Dam could very well be next.

Abomination:

Asita:

Sorry, was just providing context to my musing. Not a criticism or an attempt to discredit your preferences in any way. I too like that such things are recreated in "historical" games, just do not consider them an incredible feat of design.

Ah, I think I see the nature of the confusion. I was not attempting to describe it as a feat of design (at least not one attributable to the game), just that the games included faithful representations of beautiful buildings. Ie, "quality of the game itself notwithstanding, it recreates some very pretty landmarks".

Gorfias:

Thaluikhain:

CrazyGirl17:

That didn't take long...

Dude, ISIS claimed a fire cause by lightning as one of their terrorists acts. Of course those chodes would claim that this was part of their greater plan.

Thaluikhain:

Yeah, saw that the other day. Luckily, just as in Notre Dame's case, the damage might not be as bad as expected.

Abomination:

Asita:

More importantly, realistic, real life structures will not always lend to good gameplay. Still, it might be simple, but i don't know if scanning and translating that data into game engine is easy.

TheIronRuler:
topkek... I'm sad the monument is gone, happy I got to see it as a child.

Gone? The cathedral is still standing, and seems to be structurally sound. Only the roof and some stained windows got completely destroyed.

I'm mostly laughing now because it just shows to me the natural decline of churches in France.

What part of catching fire during the renovation is "natural" decline?

There's a national architectural competition for replacing the spire, and I for one would love it if they built a minaret there. The Hagia Sofia weeps, and Notre Dam could very well be next.

Oh... Right.
Next time instead of trying to be clever, just say that "muslems are to blame".

MrCalavera:

TheIronRuler:
topkek... I'm sad the monument is gone, happy I got to see it as a child.

Gone? The cathedral is still standing, and seems to be structurally sound. Only the roof and some stained windows got completely destroyed.

I'm mostly laughing now because it just shows to me the natural decline of churches in France.

What part of catching fire during the renovation is "natural" decline?

There's a national architectural competition for replacing the spire, and I for one would love it if they built a minaret there. The Hagia Sofia weeps, and Notre Dam could very well be next.

Oh... Right.
Next time instead of trying to be clever, just say that "muslems are to blame".

To be fair, Erdogan is thumbing his nose at the express wishes of the founder of Modern Turkey in doing that and destroying one of the great pillars of Turkey's once proud secularism. If he'd tried it a decade ago he'd have been fucking lynched in the street because one did not contradict Ataturk within the borders of the country.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here