Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer dropped.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

For realsies, it doesn't seem to be awful. Ok, no, can't say that with a straight face.

It does look all kinds of awful, but they got Jim Carrey to play Robotnik, and he's doing his silly faces. Dude's seriously good at those. Movies have basically been carried entirely on the merits of his plasticine visage before.

Anyway, now opening the floor for you to heap on the praise and/or vitriol. Go!

That looks like a fucking car crash, I can't wait.

This looks exactly like something that would have been made 10 years ago an been forgotten about 9 years and 11 months ago.

Why? Sonic hasn't had a good game for over a decade, the stories are cartoonish and don't lend themselves to live action, and the mascot is dropping out of popular culture. And doesn't he have various anthropomorphic animal friends?

I am convinced that Jim Carrey alone will save this movie, because I miss funny Jim Carrey.

Even if Sonic himself didn't look like an overly organic CGI monstrosity, this would still be the most boardroom approved garbage.

Ugh, I can't get Sonic's shapely, furry legs out of my mind. It's seared into my brain now.

Way to make the Detective Pikachu movie look 10 times better than it actually does.

Casual Shinji:
Even if Sonic himself didn't look like an overly organic CGI monstrosity, this would still be the most boardroom approved garbage.

Ugh, I can't get Sonic's shapely, furry legs out of my mind. It's seared into my brain now.

Way to make the Detective Pikachu movie look 10 times better than it actually does.

And people thought CGI No-Mustache Superman looked creepy.

This was better than I ever could have imagined. In a bad way. I wonder what Chris Chan will think of it?

Forgot to mention how sorry I feel for James Marsden. Dude always plays second fiddle in every movie he's in, and now he's doing it opposite to.. Sonic the Hedgehog. Poor guy.

I didn't know they still made direct to Blockbuster bargain bin movies. I always thought Netflix just bought them up and recast Adam Sandler

Also, I'll never get over how much Tika Sumpter looks like a girl I had a crush on in 10th grade. It's what made watching Gotham such a painful experience. Well, to be fair, not only that.

So, are the smurfs and chipmunks gonna show up also? Cause this totally looks like one of those shit live action movies based on old cartoons, which was only done decently with Scooby Doo.

Also, where the fuck are Tails and Rogue the bat? I really want to see what their interpretation of dual tails and bat boobs would be.

Jim, Jim, Jim. Are you really this hard up for money? Or just this bored? Why are you legitimizing this atrocity?

warmachine:
Why? Sonic hasn't had a good game for over a decade, the stories are cartoonish and don't lend themselves to live action, and the mascot is dropping out of popular culture. And doesn't he have various anthropomorphic animal friends?

That's a common stereotype but not really an accurate one. Sonic Colors and Generations are generally considered to be pretty good and Forces wasn't quite a trainwreck ala Sonic boom and 06 either. The dark age of Sonic is pretty much over and now its just your average mid tier franchise, albeit with a lot of name recognition and bagage.

The Rogue Wolf:
Jim, Jim, Jim. Are you really this hard up for money?

He spent it all buying up vaccines to make sure no one could use them.

I went it expecting the worst and it delivered less. Sonic looks so weird. Why did they make this live action instead of animated? Trying to appeal to that adult market that will avoid this like the plague? My god. The only thing I vaguely enjoyed was seeing that they make Jim Carrey look like classic Robotnik, at least in the face, before the end. James Marsden deserves better

I just saw the trailer and it just looks okay. The action sequences look fun at least. I never expected Jim Carrey as Eggman. With that said, this really did not need to be live action. A Sonic movie could have been to 2D or 3D animated and I would have been satisfied with either.

Honestly a big-budget version of this ain't that hard.

Can we stop with the whole the cartoon characters are in the real world thing?Sonic already did that once before in Sonic X. That one didn't exactly pan out too well either. Rocky and Bullwinkle, Smurfs, and Alvin and the Chipmunks. Some others I'm probably forgetting. I think the detective Pikachu movie is going to be better than the Sonic movie. For whatever flaws detective Pikachu might have, it looks like there is more effort put into that than there is a Sonic movie. Likewise I don't think it's going to be the worst thing Sonic franchise has ever encountered. I'd still say that goes to Sonic 2006 and Sonic boom the video game, not the cartoon series.

P.S - Coolio's gangster's Paradise does not belong in a Sonic trailer. I don't care if they're both from the 90s. They could have picked literally any other song from the pantheon of Sonic osts.

Everyone involved in making this film should be fired from everything forever.

warmachine:

Except Colors, Generations, Lost World, Forces and Mania all exist, but whatever.

Casual Shinji:
Forgot to mention how sorry I feel for James Marsden. Dude always plays second fiddle in every movie he's in, and now he's doing it opposite to.. Sonic the Hedgehog. Poor guy.

It's entirely on him, he keeps playing second banana to anthro CG rodents. Either he's a furry or his agent is.

The Rogue Wolf:
Jim, Jim, Jim. Are you really this hard up for money? Or just this bored? Why are you legitimizing this atrocity?

Jim is the best part of this movie.

Been awhile since I have seen Funny Jim Carrey and he still got it.

Ah yes, my favourite Crush 40 song is used in the trailer...
Gangsters Paradise
What a perfect track for a blue hedgehog that runs fast and fights robots.

I am fully prepared to chuck this in whatever bin the Angry Birds movie currently resides in.

If it's awkward and cringey and way past its time that means it's a good adaptation, right?

Ok, didn't see the trailer with sound before because I was still on the job, but man, it's so much worse/better with sound. Also, where's my buttrock. It's not Sonic without annoyingly catchy buttrock. Either that or a Green Hill remix in whatever EDM genre is popular right now.

TrulyBritish:
Ah yes, my favourite Crush 40 song is used in the trailer...

Agreed, trailer needs more buttrock.

Nope. Nope nope nope not feeling it.

Everything about this is off. Except that last second frame of eggman looking eggmanny, which I'm convinced will be the post-credits scene and have no bearing on the movie.

I'm not sure what has me scrunching my face up more. Sonic's design, the fact that the US military is important to the plot, the unfunny humor, the fact that sonic apparently has lightning powers, Power Rings being warp portals now for some reason, Gangsta's Paradise being the main track for the movie, or the fact that Sonic is so fast that even when he's standing still tapping his feet he's still so fast that time literally stops.

...Well, still looks better than whatever Monster Hunter The movie is shaping up to be. It's got that going for it at least.

I'm gonna go rewatch that animated "Sonic Racing" thing that SEGA put out to market their kart racer, just to cleanse my palette. At least that one feels faithful to the source material.

I really hope this is an enjoyable train wreck rather than a boring one. Sonic deserves at least a fun pile of shit adaptation.

I wonder what epyc wynn would think about this.

This looks awesome, I love the Sonic design.

gangsters paradise will forever be associated with sonic

Can we just stop with the whole "Fictional Character Comes To Our World-The Movie" because this crap was bad since the 80s and no one did this premise correctly ever since.

I do wonder if the movie will reference Chris. And I just found this.

This thoroughly perplexes me. I wanted to say that Sonic's design was doomed to fail simply because the character's made with chibi proportions, but then I see things like this

And honestly...the version on the right is easier to accept than the one on the left.

Asita:
This thoroughly perplexes me. I wanted to say that Sonic's design was doomed to fail simply because the character's made with chibi proportions, but then I see things like this

And honestly...the version on the right is easier to accept than the one on the left.

Pretty much.

When you have something completely alien to our expected perception, trying to stretch it to match our world just makes it look freaky, uncanny, and otherwise messed up.

If Sonic is us usual stocky, oddly proportioned self, we see it and go "Oh, that's some kinda creature that's not from 'round here". It's suitable "other" so we don't have that weird reaction. When we see movie sonic, our brain goes "What the hell is this?! It looks like a child in a fursuit, but not really? Gah, it's weird and freaky, but it's trying to look like us! Not ok!"

.....I think I just reiterated the uncanny valley, but worse than usual. Bah.

Samtemdo8:
I am convinced that Jim Carrey alone will save this movie, because I miss funny Jim Carrey.

I don't think he will save the movie, but he'll certainly be the best thing about out. Just like Jeremy Irons and the Dungeons and Dragons movie.

This is going to be the same thing.

There comes a time when you look at a trailer and say to yourself "That's going to bomb hard." And then you wonder why no one in the film's production managed to come to the same conclusion and got out when they still could.

At least we're getting that Emoji Movie sequel

Marik2:
I do wonder if the movie will reference Chris.

Beat you to it.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/12993587/1/Boys-in-Blue

Shameless plugging aside, I actually would like that. Practically every incarnation of Sonic has done alternate universe stories, so Chris being present in the setting is something I wouldn't mind, like a cameo or a reference to "Thorndyke Industries" or whatnot. I mean, the cop guy says "SSPD" (Station Square Police Department?), and we've already got the town of Green Hills so...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here