Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer dropped.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

All the speculation on this as a focused tested movie online discombobulates me. No focus test group would allow that Sonic design to slip through.

I was without question in the Nintendo camp in the classic console wars. I've never played a Sonic game, have 0 investment in the franchise as a whole... and somehow that trailer is so bad it offends me. That is a pretty impressive feat.

Why does Hollywood seem determined to ruin my childhood. Just why...

It's good to see that Sonic and Super Mario are continuing their rivalry even to this day... in this case for the worst video game adaptation to ever hit the cinemas.

TopazFusion:

That's how I felt when Michael Bay made the first Transformers film.

OK Escapist, this is the most Clickbaiting article and thumbnail you've ever made. And I hate Clickbait. Delete it:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/30/sonic-the-hedgehog-trailer-is-an-inescapable-nightmare/

Jim Carrey's acting bothers me. The "nobody cares!" joke is more a Jim Carrey past characters' attitude (or internet troll's) than Dr. Eggman's. "I don't care!" would had been better, because it reinforces the character's self-centered sense of superiority (just like when he talks down the Mayor with technical words in fast manner). It's frustrating how in a single sketch he ping-pongs between Dr. Smarter-than-you and childish jerk with authority.

Samtemdo8:
OK Escapist, this is the most Clickbaiting article and thumbnail you've ever made. And I hate Clickbait. Delete it:

https://www.escapistmagazine.com/v2/2019/04/30/sonic-the-hedgehog-trailer-is-an-inescapable-nightmare/

Sonic The Hedgehog Trailer Is an Inescapable Nightmare

That sounds pretty factual.

Besides, "Chocobo: Mascot, Friend, Sexy Showgirl" is far more clickbaity.

Yikes.

I guess Sonic is a really good example of a character that doesn't translate well from a cartoon art style to a 3d cgi model.

CaitSeith:
Jim Carrey?s acting bothers me. The "nobody cares!" joke is more a Jim Carrey past characters' attitude (or internet troll's) than Dr. Eggman's. "I don't care!" would had been better, because it reinforces the character's self-centered sense of superiority (just like when he talks down the Mayor with technical words in fast manner). It's frustrating how in a single sketch he ping-pongs between Dr. Smarter-than-you and childish jerk with authority.

Eggman is a fantastic villain, From Jim Cummings menacing performance , Long John Baldry meme pumping power, Deem Bristow surprisingly threatening demeanor, and of course the great performance by Mike Pollock. No matter how bad the games/show are Eggman stands out as great. Now we have this professional actor who probably gets paid more in a week then those people do in a year just portrays him as Jim Carrey but a scientist.

The more I examine this trailer the more I hated

IceForce:
Yikes.

I guess Sonic is a really good example of a character that doesn't translate well from a cartoon art style to a 3d cgi model.

Someone needs to have Princess Elise kiss CGI movie Sonic:

TopazFusion:

Because capitalism

Marik2:

TopazFusion:

Because capitalism

Perfect proof of the failure of capitalism.

Bring on the music comrade

Not gonna lie, this could actually be entertaining if they went full-on, balls to the wall, no-fucks-given OG camp. Sadly, that's a virtue that seems to have been long forgotten.

It looks interesting so far, buGHHHHTTTTTT is Jim Carry suppose to be Robotnic? They couldn't find a fat guy in all of entertainment to play him?

TopazFusion:

You're supposed to buy a ticket and go see just how much it ruined your childhood. That's what got me into a seat for the first Bayformers movie (but not a single one after that).

On one hand, this looks bad.

On the other hand, it looks far better than a character/franchise deserves who was never a great platformer, was playable at the best of times, never had a cohesive story cannon and was just a cringey 90's alternative to another console's mascot.

So go head, Coolio needs royalties.

jademunky:
On one hand, this looks bad.s

On the other hand, it looks far better than a character/franchise deserves who was never a great platformer, was playable at the best of times, never had a cohesive story cannon and was just a cringey 90's alternative to another console's mascot.

I'm gonna stop you with the "IGN history revisionist" bullshit. You may have not like the Sonic games, but overall most of the games are great platformers. Some of the 3D ones had major slip ups, but a majority of the games are worthy of their positive praise and reception. Some parts in some games may have not aged well, but the same could be said for a lot of platformers in the 90s. Including the plumber.

Christ, Sonic can't catch a freaking break can be? Such a shame...

CoCage:

jademunky:

I'm gonna stop you with the "IGN history revisionist" bullshit. You may have not like the Sonic games, but overall most of the games are great platformers. Some of the 3D ones had major slip ups, but a majority of the games are worthy of their positive praise and reception. Some parts in some games may have not aged well, but the same could be said for a lot of platformers in the 90s. Including the plumber.

No, most of the games are not great platformers.

About half the 2D Sonic games are good to great, and ALL of the 3D sonic games are hot garbage. The people who remember liking Sonic Adventure haven't actually seen or played that game recently. It's only marginally better than Sonic 06.

I can't think of a Mario game that is truly bad. At worst they can be mediocre or uninspired.

Dirty Hipsters:

About half the 2D Sonic games are good to great, and ALL of the 3D sonic games are hot garbage. The people who remember liking Sonic Adventure haven't actually seen or played that game recently. It's only marginally better than Sonic 06.

Fine, okay - I haven't played SA1/2 in ages. What I have played recently is Colours and Generations. They certainly don't meet the definition of "hot garbage."

Dirty Hipsters:

Probably because Sega and Nintendo were happy to lazily flog their most recognisable characters to prop up mediocrity.

It dropped alright, like a turd into the toilet bowl.

Although I suppose there's something gratifying in that while the Mario Brothers movie (the one with two utter talents and a master ham) was crap, it's still a better, more interesting pile of crap than this. Sega has managed to beat Nintendo. At making a shittier movie about their most iconic property. Victory at last, Sega. Hope it was worth it.

Fuck this movie.

Dirty Hipsters:

CoCage:

jademunky:

I can't think of a Mario game that is truly bad. At worst they can be mediocre or uninspired.

There is Hotel Mario if you're wondering, but most people don't count that. And Mario Crash on virtual boy. But that's the thing, that is your opinion on Sonic games. why am I such a poor person's opinion doesn't count for the entire population.

SA1 did not age well. That I can agree on. Most of the 3D games are good, or great, with some being average. The ain't all perfection 10/10.

SA2 - A great game overall with some minor gameplay problems. Whatever flaws it does have in the game play it has aged better than the first Sonic Adventure.

SH - I always found that one decent. I was having a biggest fan, but it was a fun game. I admit I did not like playing that chaotix story.

Sonic 06 - we all know the story to this one. What is there to be said at this point? Moving on.

Sonic Unleashed - depending on the version. The 360/PS3 version had good ideas but it drags too long the werehog sections. I seen a comparison video of all the versions in the Wii version is actually better despite it being on inferior hardware. There's nowhere as many of the bull crap quick time events and the werehog sections aren't as long, and there's lot less padding to go all around. Is good and the 360/PS3 version is decent.
The PS2 port is a worst version of the Wii.

The storybook games I never really cared much for and I know there's a lot of hate it with both of them.

Sonic Colors - I return to form. it's a good game. My only problem with it is that it relies too much on the wisp power ups. The wisp also seem to be letting her head affairs in the Colors game.

Sonic Generations - Best 3D Sonic game. Moving on.

Sonic Lost World - Decent. I'm admit to only really completing this once and not going back to him much.

Sonic Boom - Somehow, it's worse than Sonic 06. How the hell did this happen? I know there is a patch that fix most of the glitches, but I skipped out on Boom.

Sonic Forces - a weaker Sonic generations. It's not bad, just fairly mediocre. I remember after completing it I played it a couple more times, and then I traded it in. If I ever decide to pick it up again, I'll wait till about $10 or less.

It could work if Sonic didn't look like that. I'd give it a 10% chance of working, but now it's at solid 0.1%

Marik2:
I wonder what epyc wynn would think about this.

Moreover, could somebody please find Ja Rule? I need to make sense of all this.

OOF

Its going to be so bad, I want to see it now

jademunky:
was never a great platformer

Never?

I've had more fun with Sonic 3 & Knuckles than I've ever had with ANY mario title. The only one of which I found remotely interesting was Galaxy. Let alone throwing in Sonic 2, Mania, Advance 3, Colors and Generation (And I'll admit to having a soft spot for Shadow's game).

Some of us happen to enjoy a more "flow-based" game where it's less about precision and more about learning to optimize your flow through a level at high speed. Where getting through a level isn't all that hard, but going through the level WELL requires mastery.

It's also why I'm not all that big a fan of the DK games either. Too much precision to just get through a damn level.

Saying Sonic was NEVER good is way too broad of a generalization.

The Gangsta Paradise playing and just everything about everything in this just has me stun. Its not even dumpster fire just fire with a dumpster next to it. I don't know what to expect maybe Jim Carrey will at least make not a worst slogg ever that is his talent for better or worse.

Samtemdo8:
The movie people behind this movie responds and takes in criticism:

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832?s=19

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1124073486400544768?s=19

I do wonder what his redesign will look like.

CoCage:

Not a usual visitor to IGN so I don't entirely follow you there.

I do totally admit that my own perceptions are biased as hell towards the mustachio'd stereotype in overalls but lets just look at it from the perspective of gameplay: Compare Sonic 1 to Mario 3 which came out a year prior. I played the hell out of both as a kid and Mario was just a joy to play with well designed levels that rewarded your skill with the game rather than rote memorization.

Sonic was badly designed from the start, had some of the worst controls I have ever seen, allowed and encouraged you to constantly go faster and faster yet did not give you any possible way of knowing what was ahead in time. It was still a fun and colourful game with great music (and I do think that it does win out in visuals and music) but does not hold up as well today and was inferior to it's competitor in it's own day.

You could also say the same thing WRT Sonic 2 and 3 compared to Mario World (which once again, they came out way after)

Gotta go fast

jademunky:

CoCage:

I do totally admit that my own perceptions are biased as hell towards the mustachio'd stereotype in overalls but lets just look at it from the perspective of gameplay: Compare Sonic 1 to Mario 3 which came out a year prior. I played the hell out of both as a kid and Mario was just a joy to play with well designed levels that rewarded your skill with the game rather than rote memorization.

Sonic was badly designed from the start, had some of the worst controls I have ever seen, allowed and encouraged you to constantly go faster and faster yet did not give you any possible way of knowing what was ahead in time. It was still a fun and colourful game with great music (and I do think that it does win out in visuals and music) but does not hold up as well today and was inferior to it's competitor in it's own day.

You could also say the same thing WRT Sonic 2 and 3 compared to Mario World (which once again, they came out way after)

Once again, your opinion. Sonic was always about route memorization and Sega Hard arcade style action. This isespecially true with the 3D games that did letter Ranks. Sega got big in the arcades, and that is where a lot of their philosophy comes from. There are flaws, but they don't make the games terrible. I say this as a fan of games like Mario, Sonic, Vectorman, DKC (I hate the Wii version of Returns though), Rayman, and Crash Bandicoot.

jademunky:

There's a statement in an IGN roundtable that "this [Sonic] was never a good series." It didn't go over well with a lot of people.

Thing is, I've actually seen this philosophy applied by others (including Yahtzee) least with the 3D games, namely:

Sonic Colours: "This is the first good 3D Sonic game." (forgetting about Adventure 1/2)

Sonic Generations: "This is the first good 3D Sonic game." (forgetting about Colours)

Sonic Forces: "There were never any good 3D Sonic games. (forgetting about Generations)

Geek Critique explained it best when he said that the shadow 06 cast over the series became retroactive, where it's tainted not just future titles, but past ones as well.

Okay, I'm going to step in here.

I won't comment on the NES/SNES Mario games, because I haven't played them since around the time they came out, and apart from Super Mario 64, have never been invested in Mario in any form. But STH 1 is hardly a case of "rote memorization" - none of the Genesis Sonic games are. Memorization will certainly help you get through a stage, but it's not the be all and end all. If anything, STH 1 is the least rewarding of memorization because of its six zones, three don't allow any real speed at all (Marble, Labyrinth, Scrap Brain). When you're in these three zones, you're basically playing a traditional platformer. It's actually part of the reason why STH 1 is held below the subsequent Genesis games. But when it does encourage you to go faster, it's never without sufficient warning if your reflexes are fast enough.

There's certainly Sonic games that have put too much emphasis over speed in comparison to the platforming, but I never had a problem with the early Genesis games in this regard.

aegix drakan:

jademunky:
was never a great platformer

Never?

I've had more fun with Sonic 3 & Knuckles than I've ever had with ANY mario title. The only one of which I found remotely interesting was Galaxy. Let alone throwing in Sonic 2, Mania, Advance 3, Colors and Generation (And I'll admit to having a soft spot for Shadow's game).

Some of us happen to enjoy a more "flow-based" game where it's less about precision and more about learning to optimize your flow through a level at high speed. Where getting through a level isn't all that hard, but going through the level WELL requires mastery.

It's also why I'm not all that big a fan of the DK games either. Too much precision to just get through a damn level.

Saying Sonic was NEVER good is way too broad of a generalization.

Well........ I never played the Sonic & Knuckles expansion and I totally admit that I am fanboying hard about this and having fun just remembering my 10-year-old-self getting worked up about the console wars which were totally real and important and not at all just an exercise in consumerist wankery.

CoCage:

Once again, your opinion. Sonic was always about route memorization and Sega Hard arcade style action. This isespecially true with the 3D games that did letter Ranks. Sega got big in the arcades, and that is where a lot of their philosophy comes from. There are flaws, but they don't make the games terrible.

No, far from terrible. As I said (in an edit that might've been after you replied) that I do consider 2D sonic to be totally playable and as far as it's visual aesthetics and music go, top tier for it's time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here