Sonic The Hedgehog movie trailer dropped.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Hawki:
https://screenrant.com/sonic-hedgehog-movie-release-delay-why-good/

Been delayed until 2020.

Why this movie wasn't an animated movie in the vein of the recent Ratchet and Clank movie I have no idea.

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:

Been delayed until 2020.

Why this movie wasn't an animated movie in the vein of the recent Ratchet and Clank movie I have no idea.

You're not the only one.

Hawki:

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:

Been delayed until 2020.

You're not the only one.

I mean they have done the impossible, they made the Warcraft movie being live action make even more sense.

Samtemdo8:

I mean they have done the impossible, they made the Warcraft movie being live action make even more sense.

Warcraft being live action wasn't an issue (for me at least). For all its flaws, I think it did a great job of capturing the aesthetics, not just with the orcs, but the humans as well, along with the 'Warcraft style', so to speak.

Having finally gotten around to seeing the trailer, I have to ask...

Is it weird I'm more offended by the use of "Gangstas' Paradise" instead of the design? I could take it or leave it to be honest...

CrazyGirl17:

Is it weird I'm more offended by the use of "Gangstas' Paradise" instead of the design? I could take it or leave it to be honest...

No, you are not weird for thinking that.

CoCage:

CrazyGirl17:

Something to do with the theme of the song being irrelevant to the film itself?

Hawki:

CoCage:

CrazyGirl17:

Yes. The only relevance Sonic and Gangster Paradise share are they both from the 90s; nothing else.

CoCage:

Hawki:

CoCage:

Yes. The only relevance Sonic and Gangster Paradise share are they both from the 90s; nothing else.

I'm trying to think of a more fitting song, but the best I got is Blue (Ba ba Dee) by Eiffel 65. Or maybe that one song Right Said Fred did for an old commercial.

You think I'm joking?

The 90s were friggin' weird, man...

CrazyGirl17:

CoCage:

Hawki:

I'm trying to think of a more fitting song, but the best I got is Blue (Ba ba Dee) by Eiffel 65. Or maybe that one song Right Said Fred did for an old commercial.

You think I'm joking?

The 90s were friggin' weird, man...

The song you posted fits better by comparison and actually makes some sense. And trust me, every decade has its weird moments. Though the 90s standsdout the most on trying be cool and hip compared to other decades.

This remix of Green Hill would have made more sense for the trailer:

CrazyGirl17:

CoCage:

Hawki:

Why not pull from one of the franchise's more successful adaptations, like SatAM?

Asita:

Why not pull from one of the franchise's more successful adaptations, like SatAM?

Hears theme...

God damn it, I'm not crying, you are!

That said, as bizzare as it is that they went with a Sonic on Earth angle here, I've noticed that SatAM appears to have fallen out of favour within the fanbase in recent times. Now, it might just be me, but if people are asked to rank Sonic cartoons, SatAM tends to be near the middle or bottom nowadays, whereas it used to rank near the top. I mean, there's always been some that dislike SatAM for its darker tone, and there's always been some who are 'game purists' who dislike SatAM for not having more of the game characters/settings in it, but now...yeah. That's not even touching on Sega's apparent disdain for the series (yet they don't have much oversight over the film, so, go figure).

That said, I doubt we'll ever see SatAM in some form, any more than any other Sonic spin-off media returning. An article summarized it well when it pointed out that SatAM was created when there was a dearth of Sonic characters to choose from, whereas now, a lot of people argue that there's too many. So, while I'd love the IDW series to give proper closure to the Archie comic series (in both timelines), and heck, even conclude Sonic Underground as well (which is actually my least favourite Sonic cartoon), I doubt it will happen. :(

CrazyGirl17:

Coolio had a shit-fit when "Weird Al" Yankovic got rights to do a parody (apparently his record label didn't consult him). Did he actually greenlight this?

this popped out of the algorithm

CoCage:

The entire movie seems to have been mashed together with a "Popular 90s Things" algorithm.

This game uses the Sonic licence, it was released in the 90s.
What song was popular in the 90s? Gangster's Paradise
What actor was really famous in the 90s? Jim Carey
What kind of humour was prevalent in the 90s? Slapstick

Then the marketing department, which seems to run most companies now, believes a film that uses those elements will be the most successful. If it isn't then it'll be the algorithm's fault if it flops, and not theirs. The solution to solving the algorithm's problem is for marketing funding to increase by 25%. None of which will actually go towards a new algorithm but a higher salary for the director of marketing, who will "resign" two years after the increase when it's suspected that the algorithm has not been improved on at all -- no I'm not bitter damnit.

Hawki:

Asita:

Hears theme...

God damn it, I'm not crying, you are!

That said, as bizzare as it is that they went with a Sonic on Earth angle here, I've noticed that SatAM appears to have fallen out of favour within the fanbase in recent times. Now, it might just be me, but if people are asked to rank Sonic cartoons, SatAM tends to be near the middle or bottom nowadays, whereas it used to rank near the top. I mean, there's always been some that dislike SatAM for its darker tone, and there's always been some who are 'game purists' who dislike SatAM for not having more of the game characters/settings in it, but now...yeah. That's not even touching on Sega's apparent disdain for the series (yet they don't have much oversight over the film, so, go figure).

That said, I doubt we'll ever see SatAM in some form, any more than any other Sonic spin-off media returning. An article summarized it well when it pointed out that SatAM was created when there was a dearth of Sonic characters to choose from, whereas now, a lot of people argue that there's too many. So, while I'd love the IDW series to give proper closure to the Archie comic series (in both timelines), and heck, even conclude Sonic Underground as well (which is actually my least favourite Sonic cartoon), I doubt it will happen. :(

To clarify: when I suggested that they draw from SatAM, I meant in the sense of using the music for the trailer. If absolutely nothing else, it's a better fit, more energetic, and is a better hook for fans of the franchise than Gangster Paradise is.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here