Saddest TV or Movie Scenes Ever

Pages PREV 1 2

The end of the Black Mirror episode Men Against Fire.

Gorfias:
Fleabag! I don't know anyone else that has watched that magnificent show.

I'd expect a sizeable chunk of the British population - although it will be much harder to find Americans.

Terrific show. I love when she speaks with a man that is going through a group thing with men. He speaks of how he wants to be better and let his wife know how much he adores her. Gotta stop typing. Getting vaklempt.

Not just him - I liked that that (including the second season) Fleabag lets nearly most of the characters have some depth, strength and sympathy. Fleabag's drippy boyfriend at the start; the guy she mucks around and who finally lets fly with his frustration, even her sister's odious husband. Major and minor, the characters are not just comedic grotesques, you're invited to see their pain and struggle, and feel for them too.

CyanCat47:
The end of the Black Mirror episode Men Against Fire.

15 Million Credits and selling out

The whole ending montage in "The assassination of Jesse James...", elevated by excellent Nick Cave soundtrack.

Blade Runner... 2049

The bittersweet ending to "Life is Beautiful". Putting a movie about holocaust here feels like cheating, but this one in particular hits hard because for the greater run time it's almost a (tragic)comedy.

The ending to "Leon(The Proffesional)".

In a more sappy way; an old, tired dog on a verge of death is a tearjerker that is guaranteed to work. Others already mentioned 'Jurrasic Bark', but im talking here about "My friend Hachiko" or whatever was it called. The one with Richard Gere.

Cowboy Bebop, "Hard Luck Woman" session. Bebop crew splitting, and Faye lying on the outline of her past. (And "The real folk blues pt.2" of course, but that's obvious... "Bang!")

twistedmic:
Logan had quite a few emotionally brutal moments-

Seconded.

Kyrian007:
Until it got retconned by "Bender's Big Score" the ending to Futurama's "Jurassic Bark" was the saddest ending to a television episode I had ever seen. What is most annoying, is by retconning the ending... yes it is less sad but the emotional impact of that ending was ripped away. It is less than it was and that is not a good thing. The other one that gets me is Trigun's "Paradise." Not because of the major character death that takes place in that episode, that is sad... but the scene that get to me is Milly's reaction later. She is always so optimistic, upbeat, happy... seeing her devastated and weeping just destroys me.

Edit: Seconded. I tried covering my ears to drown out her pain, it did not work.

This scene is the first time I ever cried at an anime that had tear jerking ending.

Here Comes Tomorrow:
The endings of Now And Then, Here And There and Saikano aka She: The Ultimate Weapon. As far as anime goes those are some peak fucking sadness and as far as I'm aware no one really knows about them. Possibly because they're 20 years old holy shit I'm old.

While looking up NaTHaT I also found out its been compared to Grave Of The Fireflies, so hey, if proof be needed.

I saw both NaTHaT and Grave of the Fireflies within a couple of weeks of each other. I was 14 at the time (saw them both in 2003). What the hell was I doing watching those??!! Though I can't watch GotF, it feels way too guilt trippy. Which it is to its Japanese delinquent youth during the 80s.

Just thought of a few more:

Futurama: "Luck of the Fryish" - the ending, which is both sad and heartwarming.

Avatar: The Last Airbender : "Tales Ba Sing Se" (Specifically Iroh's part) - Not only does it end on a somber note, but the memorial to the late Mako really adds to the sadness.

Gravity Falls: "Weirdmageddon 3: Take Back the Falls"

CoCage:

Kyrian007:
Until it got retconned by "Bender's Big Score" the ending to Futurama's "Jurassic Bark" was the saddest ending to a television episode I had ever seen. What is most annoying, is by retconning the ending... yes it is less sad but the emotional impact of that ending was ripped away. It is less than it was and that is not a good thing. The other one that gets me is Trigun's "Paradise." Not because of the major character death that takes place in that episode, that is sad... but the scene that get to me is Milly's reaction later. She is always so optimistic, upbeat, happy... seeing her devastated and weeping just destroys me.

Seconded. I tried covering my teaars to drown out her pain, it did not work.

This scene is the first time I ever cried at an anime that had tear jerking ending.

I just wish Jurassic Bark still had that kind of impact. I see it now and think "eventually Seymour's fate will get changed by time travel and he will spend most of the rest of his life in the company of time travel duplicate Fry who doesn't even realize he's a copy yet." Its a lot less sad.

I didn't cry at the end of Cowboy Bebop, and that surprises me. I think its because there was no other logical way Spike's journey could come to an end. I could always kind of see the "ever after" endings for the other characters.

The anime that actually brought me to tears was Kaze no Stigma. Not the ending, there's a 4-parter in the middle of that series that really gets me.

There's a callback to it with a music cue and a very abstract scene reminiscent of something that happened in the previous arc. They spell it out with a flashback seconds later... but did not need to, I was already fighting back tears. And that was in the middle of a "sorry about all that sadness... here's a comedy episode at an amusement park" episode.

the deaths of Jiraha and Asuna in Shipoden

The end of Blackadder Goes Forth

Or, in a very different way, the end of Six Feet Under.

Thaluikhain:
The end of Blackadder Goes Forth

Again, the December King likes this.

Well, I mean, it was heart rending, but great TV.

Also, the death of James Bellamy in Upstairs Downstairs (1971-75). Tragic.

Agema:

Gorfias:
Fleabag! I don't know anyone else that has watched that magnificent show.

I'd expect a sizeable chunk of the British population - although it will be much harder to find Americans.

Terrific show. I love when she speaks with a man that is going through a group thing with men. He speaks of how he wants to be better and let his wife know how much he adores her. Gotta stop typing. Getting vaklempt.

Not just him - I liked that that (including the second season) Fleabag lets nearly most of the characters have some depth, strength and sympathy. Fleabag's drippy boyfriend at the start; the guy she mucks around and who finally lets fly with his frustration, even her sister's odious husband. Major and minor, the characters are not just comedic grotesques, you're invited to see their pain and struggle, and feel for them too.

Season 2 drops on Amazon in the US tomorrow! May 17. Just watched the trailer and it looks terrific!

Interesting how universal some of those scenes are. (I second/third/whatever Jurassic Bark ind Luck of the Fryish in Futurama, Fay laying down realizing that her past is gone / Spike realizing he has no future in Cowboy Bebop)

Hm, last thing which made my cry was in Bee and Puppycat... just the whole shift and in that "series" is just weirdly compelling and deeply sad. (But you know a "freeing" kind of sad)

But when suddenly this started, when we see that Cardamon is alone with his mom in a coma and him desperately trying to understand or getting her out... Ouch.

I mean, just picture a 38 year old, six foot, bearded man crying at a youtube show called Bee and Puppycat in a scene where it is about where Jellyfish come from...

Genuinely surprised no-one's mentioned the Iron Giant yet. There's two moments that really stick out to me:

Obligatory "Spoilers for a 20 year-old film".

This entire bit of a ten year-old discussing mortality and spirituality with the giant is quite possibly the deepest moment I've ever seen in a children's film. Hogarth and the giant's innocence when confronted with death is just heartbreaking. Plus it help reinforce the anti-violence message of the film as a whole.

And then of course:

I mean, I don't have my sound on right now and I'm still tearing up just watching it. Yes, they reveal that he's actually alive at the end, but that doesn't make this bit any less distressing.

This is the saddest thing ever once you know the full context.

Would it be cheating to mention at least five minute of any given Disney Movie?

I can think of excamples.

1. Bambie's Mom.
2. What happened to Mufassa in the 1994 version of the Lion King.
3. What will inevitably cause a new generation of childhood traumas with the new Lion King.
4. When Todd has to be released into the wild in the Fox and the Hound.
5. The First ten minutes of Up!.

Rangaman:
Genuinely surprised no-one's mentioned the Iron Giant yet. There's two moments that really stick out to me:

Obligatory "Spoilers for a 20 year-old film".

This entire bit of a ten year-old discussing mortality and spirituality with the giant is quite possibly the deepest moment I've ever seen in a children's film. Hogarth and the giant's innocence when confronted with death is just heartbreaking. Plus it help reinforce the anti-violence message of the film as a whole.

And then of course:

I mean, I don't have my sound on right now and I'm still tearing up just watching it. Yes, they reveal that he's actually alive at the end, but that doesn't make this bit any less distressing.

Brad Bird: he did the Incredibles movies too. An amazing talent. Yeah, this made me vaklempt.

Samtemdo8:
This is the saddest thing ever once you know the full context.

Got this on Bluray when Bluray was still pretty pricey! One of Nolan's best. Arguably in my all time top 100 movies. Just fantastic. EDIT: The line about being sorry about Sarah. In context, devastating.

Futurama "Game of Tones": Fry trying to reconnect with his family and how the episode ends.

Ducktales 2017 "Last Flight of the Sun Chaser!": Those last few minutes, man...

Violet Evergarden, episode 10: the reveal of who the letters were for and what was in them...

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here