Larsen and Gregg

Alright, people who dislike Brie Larsen for her twitter post. (And I'll remind you that she apologized and said she never meant to ostracize people.)

What offended you so much about Larsen? Why was here apology not good enough. Why is what she said not cool, but this gets a pass:

Because it doesn't make sense to me.

(Well, it does make sense if you take into account genders of the speakers which I highly suspect that it does for some people. Show me otherwise.)

trunkage:
Alright, people who dislike Brie Larsen for her twitter post. (And I'll remind you that she apologized and said she never meant to ostracize people.)

I don't even know what this controversy is. Another pointless Twitter molehill, I assume? When are people going to learn that there's a real world out there that's more important to get on with.

Is it so hard for people to explain what the hell they're on about in their thread OPs? You'll get so much more traffic if people know what you're actually babbling about.

It's a bit foggy for me, because trying to find out what was said leads you to retards like The Quartering and Yellowflash, which I'll avoid like the fucking plague. It's does seem like Brie Larsen might have some egg shells around her, but then even before she had said anything people where already gunning for her. Her comment was simply the starting shot to go all out for these people.

In a nutshell I'd say I don't see Brie Larsen any different from other maybe somewhat condescending Hollywood actors. I enjoyed her previous roles well enough, but I didn't watch Captain Marvel because I just didn't care.

the title was confusing, at first I thought it was a buddy cop movie title, then possibly a lawyer firm, then moved on to the idea that maybe the food chains Gregg's teamed up with Larson's for some super food chain adventures. the actual topic was a complete surprise

would imagine there's still some twats giving the guy hassle, as that does seem like the kinda collection of words that usually trigger such responses, and males like Jim Sterling attract vitriol for their outspoken views anyway, but it does appear vastly muted in comparison. to be expected, but not accepted

I would also put my name down as thinking it'd be useful if the OP explained what the thread was about better. Googling her brings up something about body language, a feud with some other actor, and an entire 9,000 out of the 20 zillion people who saw her film/s want Captain Marvel to be the other Captain Marvel they like better.

Mate.

By asking this you're already giving them more credit than they deserve. This isn't an actual discourse, it's a one sided trench war where one side picks statements and freely recontextualizes them to weaponize them. If someone throws a grenade your way, you don't stand around it, trying to figure out what it's made of, you try to be as far away from it as possible. We should treat propaganda like this the same way. If we engage with it we inadvertently help spreading it.

Why are people angry at Larson? Because to them Larson represents Disney and Disney represents an evil jewish conspiracy to subvert western culture. That's all there is to it. It's a conspiracy theory older than film itself. Reactionaries have been digging it out whenever they fear that society is becoming too accepting of progressive values. Don't validate it.

trunkage:

What offended you so much about Larsen? Why was here apology not good enough. Why is what she said not cool, but this gets a pass

Pretty sure he hasn't gotten a pass on it. He's a smug asshole. And you might want to link this for info on what she said, since it seems the whole thread is just confused.

Squilookle:
Just

Casual Shinji:
for

Thaluikhain:
the

Agema:
poke

TL;DR she said the following(lazily taken from USA Today) and got shit on for it.

"I don't need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn't work about A Wrinkle in Time," said Larson. "It wasn't made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color."

Larson clarified: "Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie."

And OP says that because Gregg is a dude, nobody is shitting on him for what he's saying. Pretty sure he's gotten shit on with her, but there isn't really a pie chart for the shit ratio.

Leg End:
TL;DR she said the following(lazily taken from USA Today) and got shit on for it.

"I don?t need a 40-year-old white dude to tell me what didn?t work about A Wrinkle in Time," said Larson. "It wasn?t made for him! I want to know what it meant to women of color, biracial women, to teen women of color."

Larson clarified: "Am I saying I hate white dudes? No, I am not. What I am saying is if you make a movie that is a love letter to women of color, there is an insanely low chance a woman of color will have a chance to see your movie, and review your movie."

And OP says that because Gregg is a dude, nobody is shitting on him for what he's saying. Pretty sure he's gotten shit on with her, but there isn't really a pie chart for the shit ratio.

If that's true, I can't say I've seen much "coverage" of it. Meanwhile I'm still tripping over Brie Larson hitpieces left and right on YouTube.

Leg End:

So, basically, the usual suspect, whiny, YouTube/Twitter etc. peanut gallery blew their heads over a nothingburger, as usual. As if the world really needed detailed analysis of and raging offence over random comments from actors.

Any chance people will likely ignore Clark Gregg and talk about Brie Larson more because she's 98349 times more famous than Clark Gregg?

I'll point to a video I just watched earlier.

I don't think it has all the answers, but I can say that not seeing the interviews and seeing how she responded... There was a bit of it that rubbed me the wrong way.

I personally have issues with Captain Marvel being declared the strongest MCU hero when other characters like Thor and Hulk were significantly depowered for "Believability". Captain Marvel isn't even the strongest character on her team. Arguably that would be either Blue Marvel or Ms America.

Sidebar... Ms America would have been THE BEST choice for the Female One Shotter. And I like Spectrum a hell of a lot better.

In short, It's a mixture of Larson's handling of certain things (I don't know her, but the snippets of her interviews didn't leave the best of impressions), Her dismissing others, Her becoming the uber badass when... Hell, has anyone ever really seen the stats for Thor?

Anyway, I really have no skin in the fight. I heard she did an okay job as a character I liked a lot better before. Let her do what she's going to do.

Only thing that'd offend me about Brie Larson is that she isn't my girlfriend... 🤔

Wintermute:
Any chance people will likely ignore Clark Gregg and talk about Brie Larson more because she's 98349 times more famous than Clark Gregg?

I must confess, I only know ClarK Gregg as "Agent Coulson".

Brie Larson has a larger following and it's somewhat more difficult to have a "battle" involving Gregg when he does not have the sheer number of combatants on either side or the coverage thereof too.

Brie's issue is she is course and outspoken in a world that expects women in the spotlight to be comforting and kind.

undeadsuitor:
Brie's issue is she is course and outspoken in a world that expects women in the spotlight to be comforting and kind.

Bullies hate when people stand up to them.

undeadsuitor:

Brie's issue is that she's bought into the Great White Saviour idea a bit too hard. Shes a rich white woman from California who thinks shes personally crushing the patriarchy.

Her recent comment about breaking glass ceilings because she was the "first" woman to star in a film that made over a billion dollars is just objectively wrong and incredibly dismissive of other female actresses who've both done it before and managed to do it without minimising the efforts of others before her.

Here Comes Tomorrow:
Her recent comment about breaking glass ceilings because she was the "first" woman to star in a film that made over a billion dollars is just objectively wrong and incredibly dismissive of other female actresses who've both done it before and managed to do it without minimising the efforts of others before her.

On the one hand I want to give credit to a female lead superhero movie making this much money, on the other the fact that it's Marvel meant it was probably going to sell regardless. That and it being marketed as the movie you needed to see before Endgame.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

The actual quote being "I'm grateful to have helped to break the glass ceiling by normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars. I don't know why that was so hard to comprehend in the first place". There's nothing 'objectively wrong' or dismissive about that, rather a statement about the state of Hollywood.

Though I won't pass up the chance to point out the irony of you calling Larson objectively wrong while you yourself are objectively wrong about what she said. The irony is delicious, but more importantly it also highlights the problem Larson has right now: That guys on the internet will accept any mangled or out of context quote from Larson as gospel if it makes it seem as if she's an unreasonable, bigoted radical feminist. There's ample irony in the "trust but verify"-crowd being so incredibly gullible and unconcerned with the verify part.

Gethsemani:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

The actual quote being "I'm grateful to have helped to break the glass ceiling by normalizing the concept that women can also make a billion dollars. I don't know why that was so hard to comprehend in the first place". There's nothing 'objectively wrong' or dismissive about that, rather a statement about the state of Hollywood.

Though I won't pass up the chance to point out the irony of you calling Larson objectively wrong while you yourself are objectively wrong about what she said. The irony is delicious, but more importantly it also highlights the problem Larson has right now: That guys on the internet will accept any mangled or out of context quote from Larson as gospel if it makes it seem as if she's an unreasonable, bigoted radical feminist. There's ample irony in the "trust but verify"-crowd being so incredibly gullible and unconcerned with the verify part.

My being wrong about the quote doesn't mean I was wrong about her statement. She didn't break any ceilings or normalise anything.

Casual Shinji:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

On the one hand I want to give credit to a female lead superhero movie making this much money, on the other the fact that it's Marvel meant it was probably going to sell regardless. That and it being marketed as the movie you needed to see before Endgame.

I don't know if I would say marvel is a sure thing or advertising that you need to see something before the next team up movie is a sure thing

Cap America first avenger: the movie you needed to see before the avengers: only made like a few hundred million dollars

And even movies directly following team up movies still didn't break a billion

Captain marvel (and also black panther) made a significant amount of money for having leads that fanboys said would never sell. No matter how much people want to downplay and bury their accomplishments

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Gethsemani:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

My being wrong about the quote doesn't mean I was wrong about her statement. She didn't break any ceilings or normalise anything.

Yeah it does actually. You were wrong and your entire point was hinged on that misinformation. You're moving goalposts. Any movie that makes over a billion dollars is a big deal, and that it stared a woman lead is also a big deal. Tons of women and girls have been inspired and encouraged by seeing a hero like them. Representation matters. It may not seem like it to straight white men who have their pick of representation, but for the rest of us who are more limited, it matters a lot.

undeadsuitor:
I don't know if I would say marvel is a sure thing or advertising that you need to see something before the next team up movie is a sure thing

Cap America first avenger: the movie you needed to see before the avengers: only made like a few hundred million dollars

And even movies directly following team up movies still didn't break a billion

Captain marvel (and also black panther) made a significant amount of money for having leads that fanboys said would never sell. No matter how much people want to downplay and bury their accomplishments

The first Captain America was still during the "shaky" period of the MCU though. Back then people were still questioning whether The Avengers was even going to work. Even after that succes there were still doubts about Guardians of the Galaxy. As it is now Marvel has cemented itself as pretty much a sure thing, and granted their movies overall are adequate.

But there's definitely a grip on fans that they need to watch the following movie (and end credit scene) in order to be up to date for the next big event (this is my problem in general with these movies), and I'm sure Captain Marvel received a significant boost from it being the last movie before the "final" Avengers. And again, it was heavily built up as 'this character is going to play a big part in Endgame', which ultimately ended up being false.

With something like Wonder Woman it feels a bit more genuine, because at that point the DC movies probably couldn't have a more pathetic image if they tried, and Wonder Woman wasn't exactly the hottest commodity, yet it totally made bank at the box office. Meanwhile Shazam (a male lead superhero movie) didn't do that big in the numbers.

Marvel can screw up, but I feel they've come up with a formula of a steady trail of candy that has geeks by the balls, and they're going watch the next movie regardless. Now in a way it's still pretty surprising seeing this movie do this well seeing as Captain Marvel as a character didn't have that much goodwill, from what I've heard, proir to the movie even being announced.

Casual Shinji:
And again, it was heavily built up as 'this character is going to play a big part in Endgame', which ultimately ended up being false.

This did actually bug me. I thought she was going to be a main character in End Game, but she just book-ended the movie.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Saelune:

Here Comes Tomorrow:

Yeah it does actually. You were wrong and your entire point was hinged on that misinformation. You're moving goalposts. Any movie that makes over a billion dollars is a big deal, and that it stared a woman lead is also a big deal. Tons of women and girls have been inspired and encouraged by seeing a hero like them. Representation matters. It may not seem like it to straight white men who have their pick of representation, but for the rest of us who are more limited, it matters a lot.

No. My point was that shes taken on the role of Great White Saviour and shes acting like she's a trailblazer when in fact she's done nothing except be cast in a Marvel movie. Women leading billion dollar movies isn't new or even uncommon. Adjusted for inflation 3 of the top 5 highest grossing films of all time are all lead by women, Gone With The Wind being THE highest grossing film of all time. Even recently Force Awakens broke the billion mark as well.

But yes, please tell me how Brie Larson in an very average movie that was advertised as a key film in the culmination of one of the most ambitious cinematic endeavours ever is the saviour of women because she did something others have done several times before but better.

Also Saelune I had a big rant here about how representation is more than just skin colour and genetalia but to be honest I'm not going to bother because it would fall on deaf ears. I'm trying to find a way to explain why I find your responses so infuriating but it's very difficult because I know you view everything through a lens of "WHITE MAN BAD". Or at least things appear that way from your posts.

But if you ever suggest that Brad Pitt represents me again? Then you can go fuck yourself with a fire hydrant.

And how many of those movies are the women bad-asses? How many of those movies are women not tied to a man? Cause frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn.

White men aren't bad. Just the white men who think that anyone who supports progressive values are automatically hating all white men. Plenty of straight white men who aren't afraid to admit that straight white men have most of the power. Who aren't afraid to support and encourage diverse representation. Who aren't afraid to respect women, cause they know that they probably wont be accused of rape just for saying hi to a woman.

I didn't say Brad Pitt represented you, infact that was my point. Cause you also have Chris Pratt, Vin Diesel, Jason Stathom, Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth, Keanu Reaves, Mark Hamill, Paul Rudd, Steve Carell, Sean Bean, Sean Connery, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kit Harrington, Harrison Ford, etc

Also make up your mind, since YOU cant seem to decide if hating white people is good or bad. You criticize some fictional 'White Savior' complex with Brie while also accusing me of hating white people.

Saelune:

Casual Shinji:
And again, it was heavily built up as 'this character is going to play a big part in Endgame', which ultimately ended up being false.

This did actually bug me. I thought she was going to be a main character in End Game, but she just book-ended the movie.

There was a lot of set-up for the Hulk as well (Thor 3, Infinity War) and the movie wasted that too. Carol Danvers could've been used to share a new perspective, or new information, shown what the Snap caused in the rest of the universe, but all of that is just left to the wayside.

Here Comes Tomorrow:

No. My point was that shes taken on the role of Great White Saviour and shes acting like she's a trailblazer when in fact she's done nothing except be cast in a Marvel movie. Women leading billion dollar movies isn't new or even uncommon. Adjusted for inflation 3 of the top 5 highest grossing films of all time are all lead by women, Gone With The Wind being THE highest grossing film of all time. Even recently Force Awakens broke the billion mark as well.

Yeah and we all know how uncontroversial Rey is, right?

It doesn't matter that this was your point though, because you banked it all on misquoting Larson in the grossest way possible to show her "Great White Saviour Complex". This makes you objectively wrong, as the facts do not support the argument you are making. If anything, the actual quote is pretty humble and the subtext is not "I AM SPEZHULSH, ADORE ME MOAR!" but rather "Hollywood should have seen this sooner". So you continue to be objectively wrong, since you are making a character assessment based on the (imaginary) tone of a bogus quote.

Saelune:

Casual Shinji:

So, take this with a grain of salt as I've definitely not seen it confirmed as anything beyond a grapevine rumor, but I 'd heard that it was largely due to Marvel execs being unsure about how popular she was going to be. Filming for Endgame finished before Captain Marvel was even released; they didn't want to bet on an "unknown" figure.

Also with Captain Marvel still in theaters when Endgame released (I personally saw CM on Saturday followed by EG on Sunday), there's a good chance that fewer people than usual would have seen her movie and know who she is. In contrast, all of the other major characters had either been in Infinity War and/or have had their movies out long enough they've been accessible on places like Hulu, HBO, and Netflix.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here