Eurovision 2019

So, Eurovision is here again. This year held in Tel Aviv, Israel. So, what I'm asking here is

-Is your country participating and if so, what do you think of your song of choice?
As an aside note, our (Finland's) song is bad, which is already something of a tradition.

-Which country do you think has the best song? Or worst, if they're exceptional in that regard.
-Are you even going to watch it?
-Any thoughts about the Eurovision in general? It sucks? It's rigged? It's the best thing ever?

Moderators! I'm not sure if this is going to be a political topic or not.

-Is your country participating and if so, what do you think of your song of choice?
As an aside note, our (Finland's) song is bad, which is already something of a tradition.

Yes, my country is participating with this:

First time I heard it. It wouldn't be my choice. Then again, I suspect none of the candidates would be.

-Which country do you think has the best song? Or worst, if they're exceptional in that regard.

Aside from our own song, which I just heard for the first time, I don't know any. I could go listen to them all, but I'm pretty sure I'll have forgotten the first song by the time I get to the last. It's not even been five minutes and I can barely remember ours. Pretty much par for the course. Abba's Waterloo and that one Dschinghis Khan song are the only exception.

No.

-Any thoughts about the Eurovision in general? It sucks? It's rigged? It's the best thing ever?

No, pretty much, don't care and no.

EDIT: scratch that, the Dschinghis Khan song I remember is Moskou, which they afaik never participated with.

Jute88:
So, Eurovision is here again. This year held in Tel Aviv, Israel. So, what I'm asking here is

Apparently my country is participating this year, who knew... Having listened to the song for the first time now, it's not bad, but not something I'd listen to if it weren't for this topic.

Jute88:

Come on now, 2006's Lordi was pretty sweet, I remember it being quite the talking point back in high school as it was a non traditional Eurovision song.

Jute88:

Haven't listened to any of the songs.

Jute88:

If I'm at home that night, don't forget about it and I'm not using the TV then I might turn it on as background noise.

Jute88:

I think it's a pretty cool idea, even if I sometimes don't agree with the winners or high ranking songs.

Even if it were to be rigged, it doesn't matter much to me, I like how all these countries "get together" and have a little musical cultural exchange, regardless of the winner.

I think we could use more events like it, I like the idea of bringing countries together and celebrating differences.

Jute88:
Moderators! I'm not sure if this is going to be a political topic or not.

This better not turn into another politics topic, this place stinks enough as it is.

I honestly have no idea what the UK's song even is, guess I'll have to find out when I watch the show

Just think, if there's a problem with the fireworks they can always bomb Gaza as a backup spectacle.

Palindromemordnilap:
I honestly have no idea what the UK's song even is, guess I'll have to find out when I watch the show

Shit, as usual. The British have been constitutionally incapable of picking a competitive Eurovision song for about two decades (which is sort of odd as it's so good at pop music generally). On the odd occasion a good one's in the running to be sent off, the public vote ends up backing some bland nonsense instead.

Actually, maybe last year's was pretty decent, except there was that twat who gatecrashed and ruined her performance.

dudududuDU dududududu du dudududu fuck you europe dududuudududu

With that out of the way... San Marino? Thank goodness Poland didn't go through and great that Iceland did! But that San Marino what the hell? The quality of the songs was so bad even Finland should've been in the top 10.

Netta has apparently doubled down on that 'super weird pls bully me' -look. Edit: About Netta, her song last year was total crap, but I *get* that there was a personal, thought out message in the performance: she was that weird kid who clucked about and played pokemon in school and got bullied for it. And of course she was then publicly bullied for performing in a kimono (along with other cultural appropriation), which has now led to her wearing an incomprehensibly ridiculous outfit, and that says more about everybody else than about Netta.

Jute88:

I have one word for that sneak peek from France's song that they showed: bilal. It's bilal.

Palindromemordnilap:

Here you go.

As you can tell, it is utter pants. I only know what it is due to being an avid Radio 2 listener. There was a song being offered as a potential UK entry that I really liked but I have no idea what it was called.

Anyway other than that, the last time I was interested in the Eurovision Song Contest was when Lordi won it, that might of been 2006.

bluegate:

Jute88:

Come on now, 2006's Lordi was pretty sweet, I remember it being quite the talking point back in high school as it was a non traditional Eurovision song.

Hard Rock Hallelujah was the exception to the rule. After that we're back on track and sent only 2 okay-ish songs.

Jute88:

I think it's a pretty cool idea, even if I sometimes don't agree with the winners or high ranking songs.

Even if it were to be rigged, it doesn't matter much to me, I like how all these countries "get together" and have a little musical cultural exchange, regardless of the winner.

I think we could use more events like it, I like the idea of bringing countries together and celebrating differences.

I agree with all of the above. I've also come to accept the fact that I have NO IDEA how Europeans vote each year. Every now and then songs made from the manifestation of boredom and apathy get top votes.

Also, in '06 I betted with my school friend that Lordi wouldn't win (because Finland never wins). So now I've decided never to bet again in Eurovision.

But regardless of all my complaints, it's still a fun idea. I enjoy the different performances, the overall positive atmosphere it tries to create despite some political dilemmas *cough* Crimea! *cough*.

Best of all, it's better when watched with friends.

You know what my favorite part of this years Eurovision is? Not the songs. Don't remember those. Didn't watch the show at all.

No, it's all the dumb fucks online going "wtf is this stupid gay agenda pushing bullshit?" afterwards.

Eh, which planet are they from? Being fabulously flamboyant is pretty much what the entire show is about.

Agema:

Palindromemordnilap:

Shit, as usual. The British have been constitutionally incapable of picking a competitive Eurovision song for about two decades (which is sort of odd as it's so good at pop music generally). On the odd occasion a good one's in the running to be sent off, the public vote ends up backing some bland nonsense instead.

Yeah I've never been entirely sure why, when the rest of Europe is sending in acts with previously established fans and fame, we insist on sending in some complete newbie voted on by a tv show; meaning not even all of the UK want them to win Eurovision

Palindromemordnilap:

Agema:

Palindromemordnilap:

Yeah I've never been entirely sure why, when the rest of Europe is sending in acts with previously established fans and fame, we insist on sending in some complete newbie voted on by a tv show; meaning not even all of the UK want them to win Eurovision

It's likely because whenever an artist tanks, so does their career. So artists with fans and fame aren't going to touch it with a ten foot pole less they also tank with it

Palindromemordnilap:

It's not just the UK. Belgium tends to send unknown artists too. I suspect we are not the only ones. Don't know why they'd even want to participate to begin with. Few ever manage to launch a career after, even the ones that did well. Maybe the're hoping to be exceptions and enjoy a boost to international fame like ABBA or Celine Dion? Ironically, several acts that lost the preselection became far more successful than the participants.

undeadsuitor:

It's likely because whenever an artist tanks, so does their career. So artists with fans and fame aren't going to touch it with a ten foot pole less they also tank with it

Indeed, though there are some exceptions. Iirc Cliff Richard, Katrina & The Waves, Bonnie Tyler, Blue and Engelberg Humperdinck all participated at one point and were already established acts. Coincidentally all from the UK.

Chimpzy:
Indeed, though there are some exceptions. Iirc Cliff Richard, Katrina & The Waves, Bonnie Tyler, Blue and Engelberg Humperdinck all participated at one point and were already established acts. Coincidentally all from the UK.

The UK used to send regular pop chart musicians back in the day like Cliff Richard and Sandie Shaw, but I think the perception eventually grew in the UK in the 80s that Eurovision was terminally uncool, and for an artist to turn up was tantamount to saying they weren't a serious musical act. You're right that in recent years a few established names such as those above have turned up, but those were all acts effectively coming out of retirement without the same sort of reputation to protect. With this as it is, we're therefore stuck with retirees and 15 minutes of fame wannabes.

That said, some groups have floated the idea: The Pet Shop Boys, for instance, seriously considered it (and they've got the humour and irony to get away with it) although when they were well past their chart peak. There are rumours others such as Morrissey or Radiohead (a joke, surely?) might have been at some level of discussion or negotiations to send an entry.

Agema:
Just think, if there's a problem with the fireworks they can always bomb Gaza as a backup spectacle.

Don't let something trivial like facts get in the way of your casual prejudice. Islamic terrorists launched over 600 rockets at innocent civilians, you might want to check the news before posting such a disgusting comment.

McElroy:
Netta has apparently doubled down on that 'super weird pls bully me' -look. Edit: About Netta, her song last year was total crap, but I *get* that there was a personal, thought out message in the performance: she was that weird kid who clucked about and played pokemon in school and got bullied for it. And of course she was then publicly bullied for performing in a kimono (along with other cultural appropriation),

You what? Performing in a kimono is an issue? Are you in charge of womens' fashion now?

McElroy:
Not forgetting that this performance had to be done today because it has two people who practice sabbath on Saturday. Fucking losers.

Yeah, you tell those folks what you really think. Two people who practice sabbath!! How dare they have a faith and culture different than yours!? It's commendable that you're so tolerant of other peoples' beliefs and cultures.

I've reported both your posts, tho I know nothing will be done about it. For whatever reason, these prejudices seem to be tolerated here.

Edit: Nevermind, this isn't the place for this discussion, sorry.

KingsGambit:
Don't let something trivial like facts get in the way of your casual prejudice.

I'm certainly not going to let facts get in the way of my sense of humour: exaggeration or other forms of truth distortion are pretty useful for satire.

KingsGambit:

McElroy:
Netta has apparently doubled down on that 'super weird pls bully me' -look. Edit: About Netta, her song last year was total crap, but I *get* that there was a personal, thought out message in the performance: she was that weird kid who clucked about and played pokemon in school and got bullied for it. And of course she was then publicly bullied for performing in a kimono (along with other cultural appropriation),

You what? Performing in a kimono is an issue? Are you in charge of womens' fashion now?

It was. You must know there is a type of people who are upset at cultural appropriation. I'm afraid you interpreted my text a bit wrong. I would indeed defend Netta's orient-inspired show despite Toy being rather terrible.

McElroy:
Not forgetting that this performance had to be done today because it has two people who practice sabbath on Saturday. Fucking losers.

Yeah, you tell those folks what you really think. Two people who practice sabbath!! How dare they have a faith and culture different than yours!? It's commendable that you're so tolerant of other peoples' beliefs and cultures.

I've reported both your posts, tho I know nothing will be done about it. For whatever reason, these prejudices seem to be tolerated here.

I find it absurd the sabbath-bros were part of a special performance by differently handicapped performers only to be too handicapped to perform on a Saturday. And yes, I will call people who take rules from the heavens seriously fucking losers. Because honestly it's not just that, but they simply HAD to bring it up in the broadcast "oh this would've been really nice in the final but too bad because these two guys aren't allowed to work then". The whole thing has been on the calendar since a year ago, had they really wanted it on Saturday they would've got those guys replacements or sort it out in another way instead of this obvious bullshit.

It looks like the Netherlands' song won last night, who'd have known?

As for the show itself, I missed the first hour or so because I was duking it out with DS2's Fume Knight, then I decided to watch a couple of songs ( ha! watch a song ) and I ended up just going to bed when some weird would-be S&M dungeon act came on.

From what I saw I liked Norway's song a lot, even if I didn't understand one third of the lyrics, it gave it a nice touch.

McElroy:

McElroy:

I find it absurd the sabbath-bros were part of a special performance by differently handicapped performers only to be too handicapped to perform on a Saturday. And yes, I will call people who take rules from the heavens seriously fucking losers. Because honestly it's not just that, but they simply HAD to bring it up in the broadcast "oh this would've been really nice in the final but too bad because these two guys aren't allowed to work then". The whole thing has been on the calendar since a year ago, had they really wanted it on Saturday they would've got those guys replacements or sort it out in another way instead of this obvious bullshit.

Yeah, that's a pretty dumb cry for attention, well at least it gave them an easy out; "Well, we could have won, if only it weren't for that darned sabbath...!".

bluegate:

As for the show itself, I missed the first hour or so because I was duking it out with DS2's Fume Knight, then I decided to watch a couple of songs ( ha! watch a song ) and I ended up just going to bed when some weird would-be S&M dungeon act came on.

From what I saw I liked Norway's song a lot, even if I didn't understand one third of the lyrics, it gave it a nice touch.

I couldn't watch it live either until Madonna's performance, and I didn't stay up for the point count.

Anyway, the best song won. The vocalist for Italy was actually really good too in the final, but the song itself was weird. Norway would've won with the televote and apparently they had technical problems during the jury performance. The moral victors for sure.

The interval acts were easily the best part of the show, Eleni Foureira, Verka Serduchka (memories from Helsinki and an actual Ukranian performer after they withdrew. Also now that I'm watching Fuego again I can't help but see that Cyprus sent a super similar act this year as well. The old Israeli singers they thawed from the cryochambers were a nice touch too. And Netta should start a diet for her health's sake. I wish the German cutie would've performed better, but after hearing the song I must retract the statement -- they got 0 points in the televote. Finland was last in our Semi-Final, geez (that song though, imagine having the shittiest chorus ever and the verses still sound worse).

And... As evidenced in this thread too, you shouldn't mix politics into Eurovision.

Okay, so Netherlands won. Yay?

Anyways, this year's contest was pretty boring. One positive suprise was that UK had a pretty okay song. Only negative thing about it were the backup singers.

bluegate:

I somewhat liked Norway as well. Where are you from, if you could understand 1/3 of their lyrics?

The priceless moment in the whole show was the hosts' faces when they saw Icelands's Free Palestine sign. And the whole audience just exploded from that.

Apparently there was also a Palestine flag in Madonna's show, but I didn't see it.

But yeah, next year we'll be in the Netherlands. Hopefully the amount of visitors and fans doesn't sink the country.

McElroy:
And... As evidenced in this thread too, you shouldn't mix politics into Eurovision.

You can't avoid politics. Even not explicitly mentioning politics is political: the elephant in the room cannot be avoided. Eurovision is an opportunity for a country to show itself off, and if a country is busy doing things like invading its neighbours, repressing its citizens, gagging free speech or running the world's largest open air prison camp, what we really mean by not mentioning politics is implicitly excusing all that political shit it's doing. That's why places like Russia have rubbed their hands with glee at things like the football world cup, because it helps them conceal all the shady stuff that's going on with a flashy spectacle.

Jute88:
Apparently there was also a Palestine flag in Madonna's show, but I didn't see it.

When she did her duet with the other guy (Quavo? Quavi?) they turned their backs at some point: one had an Israeli flag stitched on the back of their outfit, the other a Palestinian flag.

I don't like this relatively new voting system with the jury votes, and then the public votes summed up on top. I think it's really unkind to the performers to be flying high, and then suddenly find they're actually miles away from winning because someone suddenly got 250 points added and they only got 35. I'd rather they went back to the national presenters giving a combined country score of the jury and public.

I accept that in this system you can sometimes tell the winner a mile off, and the new one ratchets up the tension to the end, but to me it starts to feel like a lottery. I am also so utterly bored sick of stupid, absurdly extended, "dramatic" pauses until they reveal the result, now tediously ubiquitous. It doesn't make me feel more suspense, it makes me irritated and fed up. I also feel unhappy for some of the performers, especially the young ones, who must have a huge amount of their hopes and dreams tied up in the process, being screwed with for entertainment.

Jute88:
I somewhat liked Norway as well. Where are you from, if you could understand 1/3 of their lyrics?

But yeah, next year we'll be in the Netherlands. Hopefully the amount of visitors and fans doesn't sink the country.

I think I either expressed myself incorrectly or you misread, I'm from the Netherlands so I understood the English portion of Norway's lyrics, but I didn't understand the Joik chanting(?) portions of the song. It sounded pretty cool, I do wonder what it was that he was singing though.

I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of show my country is going to put up next year.

Agema:

McElroy:

You can't avoid politics. Even not explicitly mentioning politics is political: the elephant in the room cannot be avoided. Eurovision is an opportunity for a country to show itself off, and if a country is busy doing things like invading its neighbours, repressing its citizens, gagging free speech or running the world's largest open air prison camp, what we really mean by not mentioning politics is implicitly excusing all that political shit it's doing. That's why places like Russia have rubbed their hands with glee at things like the football world cup, because it helps them conceal all the shady stuff that's going on with a flashy spectacle.

I go in expecting a fun show and somebody manages to undermine it often enough. Then again Iceland's Hatari told in an interview soon after that if Eurovision is promoting that people shouldn't give up being who they are because of bullying or other pressure, then that's something where a Palestine flag deserves to be shown. I can get behind that logic, but for the whole ordeal I'll rather take a week of not giving a shit.

McElroy:
I go in expecting a fun show and somebody manages to undermine it often enough. Then again Iceland's Hatari told in an interview soon after that if Eurovision is promoting that people shouldn't give up being who they are because of bullying or other pressure, then that's something where a Palestine flag deserves to be shown. I can get behind that logic, but for the whole ordeal I'll rather take a week of not giving a shit.

There's no need to make a statement that goes all the way to wrecking people's fun. Standing up and giving a hectoring speech about "Free Palestine", yeah, that's kind of annoyingly intrusive. But if someone wants to just wave a Palestinian flag, point made and fair enough.

McElroy:

There was a contest for the musicians that would represent Israel in the Eurovision. The band which played in the special performance played until the finals and was slated to win and represent Israel, until the issue of technical difficulties - the aforementioned rehearsals on Sabbath - forced their hand in quitting the contest. This was a tribute to them, since they've made all the way to the finals but had to quit out of respect for their band-members. I understand the term respect may seem foreign and alien to you, which is shy you couldn't figure out what had happened there, and went on a little rant... It's when you don't call people losers because they practice a religion, for example.

Agema:

McElroy:

I can always count on you being your old English self and talking total nonsense about non-English matters, as per usual.
We've had a very good production in Tel-Aviv, few hiccups... I'm proud our public broadcasting corporation pulled this off so well. It's a shame how Madonna had a bad day, live on stage, even after a donation payed over half a million for her to show up and it was kind-of a big deal...

bluegate:

Jute88:

I think I either expressed myself incorrectly or you misread, I'm from the Netherlands so I understood the English portion of Norway's lyrics, but I didn't understand the Joik chanting(?) portions of the song. It sounded pretty cool, I do wonder what it was that he was singing though.

Yeah, I apparently misread. Sorry about that :)

Apparently after a quick search, "Cajet dan cuovgga" means "See the light"

Don't know what "He lo e loi la" means though.

TheIronRuler:
I can always count on you being your old English self and talking total nonsense about non-English matters, as per usual.

When you say "talking nonsense", I think you mean "hold a different viewpoint from my own".

And it's British, not English, thanks.

TheIronRuler:
I understand the term respect may seem foreign and alien to you, which is shy you couldn't figure out what had happened there, and went on a little rant... It's when you don't call people losers because they practice a religion, for example.

Absolutely no respect, but I shall shed a sprinkle of pity on their way.

McElroy:
I wish the German cutie would've performed better, but after hearing the song I must retract the statement -- they got 0 points in the televote.

After having listened to the song a couple of times, it managed to get under my skin.

I can't file the blonde girl under "cutie" though, her face looks a bit too vertically squashed. On the other hand, the other girl is a cutie.

For people who aren't familiar with it and don't feel like looking it up on YouTube;

bluegate:
After having listened to the song a couple of times, it managed to get under my skin.

It was a painfully weak Eurovision entry: I'm not surprised it took a beating in the public vote. Although credit to it for tackling the tricky issue of thinking about murdering your sibling.

bluegate:
I can't file the blonde girl under "cutie" though, her face looks a bit too vertically squashed. On the other hand, the other girl is a cutie.

Too old and "exotic".

Edit: okayokay, "exotic" is the wrong word, Laura's nose is too wide and her gaze is too narrow. Also too old (a whole week older than me xD).

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here