Robert Pattinson is now the new Live Action Batman.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Samtemdo8:
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

.....We traded Ben Affleck for this.

We traded up, I suspect.

Pattinson might be most famous for the Twilight movies which may make some people wince, but his subsequent career has been a series of very well regarded (if low profile) films where he has received a great deal of praise. He's done blockbusters and quality acting in indy stuff effectively. Looks promising.

Affleck, let's face it, has a pretty terrible record. Who can remember Paycheck, Changing Lanes or The Sum Of All Fears? And who can forget Gigli, Daredevil and Pearl Harbor... for all the wrong reasons? Compare his career to his best buddy that he broke it big with, Matt Damon. He's actually a pretty good performer in mny ways. But he's either really unlucky or terrible at picking his big projects.

Agema:

Samtemdo8:
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/robert-pattinson-batman-matt-reeves-bruce-wayne-dc-comics-1203125473/

We traded up, I suspect.

Pattinson might be most famous for the Twilight movies which may make some people wince, but his subsequent career has been a series of very well regarded (if low profile) films where he has received a great deal of praise. He's done blockbusters and quality acting in indy stuff effectively. Looks promising.

Affleck, let's face it, has a pretty terrible record. Who can remember Paycheck, Changing Lanes or The Sum Of All Fears? And who can forget Gigli, Daredevil and Pearl Harbor... for all the wrong reasons? Compare his career to his best buddy that he broke it big with, Matt Damon. He's actually a pretty good performer in mny ways. But he's either really unlucky or terrible at picking his big projects.

Do you blame him really? I mean its Batman? How is that a terrible picking conceptually?

And my beef with Robbie is that he's too young and thin.

Samtemdo8:

Because no-one has ever bulked up for a role before? As for young, he's 33, probably not too far off the age comic-Batman is theoretically supposed to be

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

Because no-one has ever bulked up for a role before? As for young, he's 33, probably not too far off the age comic-Batman is theoretically supposed to be

Is he gonna bulk up to Ben Affleck's Level?

And I don't know, Robbie always this eternal 18 year old look of his face.

Pretty boy who seduces girls playing Batman?

Well, guess he'd make a perfect Bruce Wayne.

Samtemdo8:

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

Is he gonna bulk up to Ben Affleck's Level?

If they want a swole Batman, guess he will. And if you're admitting that previous Batmen beefed themselves up, why do you find it so hard to accept that Pattinson could?
And while he's not aged much in the last few years, I'd have never said he looked 18. He looked in his twenties when he played Cedric Diggory despite actually being a teenager then

As much as I hate Twilight, I have nothing against the guy. Hopefully he can surprise us... so I'm remaining optimistic.

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

Fun fact, Christian Bale was 31 when Batman Begins was released.

Samtemdo8:

Ben Affleck. Heath Ledger. Jared Leto.
2 out of 3, so i say Pattison still has a chance.

OR if we only count Batmen: Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale. That's 2 outta 4, depending how you rate Bale.

MrCalavera:

Samtemdo8:

Ben Affleck. Heath Ledger. Jared Leto.
2 out of 3, so i say Pattison still has a chance.

OR if we only count Batmen: Keaton, Kilmer, Clooney, Bale. That's 2 outta 4, depending how you rate Bale.

Ahem...You forgot West.

Anyway, he might be alright, I don't think I've seen him in anything other than Twilight. So long as no one casts Kristen Stewart as Cat Woman then I won't complain until after his first film.

Chimpzy:

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

Bale also bulked up for his role. In fact he was known from loosing/gaining weight to unhealthy degrees for filming.

Catfood220:

Ahem...You forgot West.

Focused on motion pictures(Yes, West also was in one, but he was primarly famous because of the tv show.), otherwise i'd have to add Cesar Romero or Kevin Conroy.

Robert Downey Jr was also considered a mistake being cast as iron man

"That guy who played the human torch in that shitty ff movie" was considered a horrible choice for captain america

Gal gadot was considered a mistake to be cast for wonder woman

"That guy who played the human torch in that shitty ff movie" was considered a horribke choice for killmonger

Generally, the more vocal nerds are in crying about a casting choice, the better it will be

CrazyGirl17:
As much as I hate Twilight, I have nothing against the guy. Hopefully he can surprise us... so I'm remaining optimistic.

My first instinct was to dismiss Pattinson, but then I remembered how much Heath Ledger surprised me as The Joker, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

He'll probably be fine.

The next Batman movie might be a terrible piece of shit, but it probably won't be because of Pattinson, just like Batman v Superman wasn't a piece of shit because of Affleck (it was just a piece of shit).

Samtemdo8:

Agema:

Samtemdo8:

We traded up, I suspect.

Do you blame him really? I mean its Batman? How is that a terrible picking conceptually?

Pattinson's 33.
Christian Bale was 31 and looked like this when he signed up for Batman.

I haven't seen much of Pattinson's work, but given his voice and body type I kinda figured that he'd be a more natural fit for Nightwing than Batman. Regardless, I know well enough by now to check my casting presumptions at the door. I don't know what to expect of Matt Reeves making a superhero movie though, so we'll see what happens.

Catfood220:
So long as no one casts Kristen Stewart as Cat Woman then I won't complain until after his first film.

Okay, then how bout Katie Leung? :p

Asita:
I haven't seen much of Pattinson's work, but given his voice and body type I kinda figured that he'd be a more natural fit for Nightwing than Batman. Regardless, I know well enough by now to check my casting presumptions at the door. I don't know what to expect of Matt Reeves making a superhero movie though, so we'll see what happens.

What I'd actually like to know is if the film is set before the events of BvS or after the events of Justice League. Because if it's the latter, we'd have to ask how Batman apparently became younger.

Hawki:

What I'd actually like to know is if the film is set before the events of BvS or after the events of Justice League. Because if it's the latter, we'd have to ask how Batman apparently became younger.

*shrug* Maybe he's playing Terry McGinnis and we'll see Batman and Bruce Wayne bicker on the silver screen.

Asita:

Hawki:

*shrug* Maybe he's playing Terry McGinnis and we'll see Batman and Bruce Wayne bicker on the silver screen.

Damn if that wouldn't be nice. I want to see Inque in full cgi.

But the logical answer is always prequel. Especially when the previous movies already established their Batman as being at the end of his career. And also the fact that the movie has already confirmed that catwoman and penguin are it's villains.

I can see it. Not the most obvious choice but not a bad one at all for a younger Batman So, are they gonna have him fight Joaquin Phoenix's Joker somewhere along the line? I mean, I know Warner Bros is claiming the Joker movie is gonna be a standalone thing but with how universally unpopular Jared Leto's Joker is I find it hard to believe that they aren't at least considering to run with Phoenix if the movie does well.

undeadsuitor:

"That guy who played the human torch in that shitty ff movie" was considered a horrible choice for captain america

"That guy who played the human torch in that shitty ff movie" was considered a horribke choice for killmonger

Generally, the more vocal nerds are in crying about a casting choice, the better it will be

So was Chris Hemsworth. 'An unknown surfie dude playing Thor? Please.

Gollum has also been the best villain of the MCU. Who knew Serkis could act without CGI

I was wondering how Phoenix would do with the Joker. Trailer leave me optimistic. But I'll still wait for review. Same with this new iteration.

Chimpzy:

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

Even more reasons that these complaints are ridiculous. Just another round of the same old "wah, I don't like change!" noise

When we all heard Ann Hathaway, who generally plays sweet natured characters and rom come roles, was one of the casting mistakes may of us thought was going to be a bad move. Then we saw a clip of her walking like she owned the place in the Catwoman costume and there was a collective "Oh, that's why" heard around the world.

Hopefully DC will continue down the current route as it realize the grimdark stuff only works if A. its not taken seriously, or B. with deft hands. See Warhammer 40k for how it can work. Tell me the setting is suppose to be taken a hundred percent seriously when Orks get luckier when they have alot of blue, and their machines go faster if red. Also, Papa Nurgle Wuvs you.

He's a good actor, and he's got a proper face for the cowl me thinks.

I've much less faith in the movie itself being any good, because you know.. DC.

undeadsuitor:

I was salty about Gadot for Wonder Woman because I'd seen her in Fast and the Furious and simply wasn't impressed with what she was doing. However I have never been so happy to be wrong.

Samtemdo8:

saint of m:

Hopefully DC will continue down the current route as it realize the grimdark stuff only works if A. its not taken seriously, or B. with deft hands. See Warhammer 40k for how it can work. Tell me the setting is suppose to be taken a hundred percent seriously when Orks get luckier when they have alot of blue, and their machines go faster if red. Also, Papa Nurgle Wuvs you.

Okay, seriously, did the definition of grimdark shift in the last decade? Because apart from BvS, no DCEU has even come close to being grimdark.

Hawki:

saint of m:

Okay, seriously, did the definition of grimdark shift in the last decade? Because apart from BvS, no DCEU has even come close to being grimdark.

Superman saved the day in Man of Steel in the end. It was either have Zod's necked snap or have him ravage the entire world. And it would be grim dark if it was the latter.

undeadsuitor:

I noticed the pattern too. I never listen to vocal buttfucks crying about casting choices. I like to form my own opinion instead of judging and parroting others. I am willing to give this guy a chance. If I remember correctly, nobody on the staff liked working on the Twilight films, so that's a bonus.

First I thought 'This is a terrible choice'.

Then I thought 'But I thought the same about Affleck and I actually think he did a good enough job'.

Then I thought 'But this is the Twilight guy and DC sucks at making choices'

But then, I also think the new Joker movie is going to be bad, even though for some reason I don't understand everyone seems to think it might be good?

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:

Superman saved the day in Man of Steel in the end. It was either have Zod's necked snap or have him ravage the entire world. And it would be grim dark if it was the latter.

And all of it was accompanied by excessive amounts of death, destruction, and military bravado, because Zack Snyder can't take superheroes seriously unless they're killing and screwing eachother. Didn't he also want Batman to have been raped in prison? That dude is just perpetually trapped in the 90's.

Kwak:

Samtemdo8:

Is Willem Defoe's pipe upside down or is it just me?

Casual Shinji:
And all of it was accompanied by excessive amounts of death, destruction, and military bravado,

What's that? Aliens invade Earth, people die, and the military gets involved? Why, it's almost like that's exactly what WOULD happen if the kryptonians invaded in real life.

Hawki:

It's like "Nazi", "SJW", "Mary Sue" and a zillion other terms. Misused to describe things far more trivial until rendered almost meaningless.

Gordon_4:

Is Willem Defoe's pipe upside down or is it just me?

It's just a trick of the shot - he's actually got a wooden coat hanger stuck in the back of his jacket, and you can see its arm extending past his mouth so it looks like a pipe.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here