Robert Pattinson is now the new Live Action Batman.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Casual Shinji:

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:
Okay, seriously, did the definition of grimdark shift in the last decade? Because apart from BvS, no DCEU has even come close to being grimdark.

Superman saved the day in Man of Steel in the end. It was either have Zod's necked snap or have him ravage the entire world. And it would be grim dark if it was the latter.

And all of it was accompanied by excessive amounts of death, destruction, and military bravado, because Zack Snyder can't take superheroes seriously unless they're killing and screwing eachother. Didn't he also want Batman to have been raped in prison? That dude is just perpetually trapped in the 90's.

If the 2010s-2020s Superhero movies are gonna be more like Shazam!! then fuck that shit.

And I don't mind that he wants Batman raped in Prison. That would be a very interesting character development for him.

But still I just wish DC movies were more like Alex Ross' comic books in terms of tone at the very least.

PsychedelicDiamond:
I can see it. Not the most obvious choice but not a bad one at all for a younger Batman So, are they gonna have him fight Joaquin Phoenix's Joker somewhere along the line? I mean, I know Warner Bros is claiming the Joker movie is gonna be a standalone thing but with how universally unpopular Jared Leto's Joker is I find it hard to believe that they aren't at least considering to run with Phoenix if the movie does well.

Probably not. Joker takes place in the '80s and you also see a child Bruce Wayne in the trailer. With Joker already being in his mid forties in the film by the time Batman comes of age Joker will be chasing him with a walker. Pretty sure this is going to be it's own thing.

Don't think I've ever seen a movie with Pattinson and if he fits in a Batman movie or not also depends on the direction they are going to take. Definitely can't see him in a Nolan Batman but there are different variations they can try and with Joker DC appears not afraid to experiment. Movies that need to fit in a continuity always suck so I hope it's not going to be another 'cinematic universe' to milk the franchise for all it's worth like a shitty Marvel movie. Preferably this Batman film is going to be it's own thing as well. I also hope it's not going to be a retread of the Nolan movies or a soulless Snyder-esque spectacle flick. Similarly like Joker, Batman Elseworld would be amazing as well. I think a movie adaptation of Gotham by Gaslight or something similar would be so awesome and it's never done before.

No need to judge the fella for work he's admitted to hating already, a lot of talented actors have done early roles they're ashamed of, it's to be expected. He's done a lot of good since. And Affleck, as much I don't wanna harp negatively on the guy going through personal stuff lately, he is the same character in pretty much everything, he's just Ben Affleck playing Ben Affleck, albeit effectively (Afflecktively?) but you always know what to expect. Anyway, a recent film review for Pattinson may help alleviate worries maybe?

Hawki:

Casual Shinji:
And all of it was accompanied by excessive amounts of death, destruction, and military bravado,

What's that? Aliens invade Earth, people die, and the military gets involved? Why, it's almost like that's exactly what WOULD happen if the kryptonians invaded in real life.

Yeah, and that's why Man of Steel is so fondly remembered, and why the DCEU hasn't been course correcting ever since. Because of Snyder's well-loved "realistic" portrayal of Superman (and Batman, because if you don't think superheroes should kill then fuck you, grow up).

Also note that I said 'excessive'. The core tenet of Man of Steel (and BvS) isn't 'what would happen' it's 'how can we make this go *RAAARR*SMASH*KABOOM*' preferably while having the hero be super mopey. Zack Snyder can only express himself on film through (edgy) excess, which might work for something like 300, but is a bit of an ill fit for Superman (not to mention Watchmen).

Samtemdo8:
If the 2010s-2020s Superhero movies are gonna be more like Shazam!! then fuck that shit.

And what shit is that; having teeth and guts? Knowing how to properly handle moments of darkness and levity? Not wasting time trying set-up/add to an expanded universe? Actually being.. a movie? Yeah no, sorry.

And I don't mind that he wants Batman raped in Prison. That would be a very interesting character development for him.

I.... nevermind.

Casual Shinji:

Hawki:

Casual Shinji:
And all of it was accompanied by excessive amounts of death, destruction, and military bravado,

What's that? Aliens invade Earth, people die, and the military gets involved? Why, it's almost like that's exactly what WOULD happen if the kryptonians invaded in real life.

Yeah, and that's why Man of Steel is so fondly remembered, and why the DCEU hasn't been course correcting ever since. Because of Snyder's well-loved "realistic" portrayal of Superman (and Batman, because if you don't think superheroes should kill then fuck you, grow up).

Also note that I said 'excessive'. The core tenet of Man of Steel (and BvS) isn't 'what would happen' it's 'how can we make this go *RAAARR*SMASH*KABOOM*' preferably while having the hero be super mopey. Zack Snyder can only express himself on film through (edgy) excess, which might work for something like 300, but is a bit of an ill fit for Superman (not to mention Watchmen).

I still feel Man of Steel gets way too much hate from "film critics" and certain YT personalities on the Internet. The movie is great aside from the color palette and some pacing problems. I know the old guard and certain parts of the Superman fandom hold the Christopher Reeves films in high regards, but none of them are flawless movies and have problems. Not to mention only two of them are good, depending on the cut. III is a waste of time, and IV is so bad, it's good. Nobody even remembers Superman Returns. Not even my father, and he's a Superman/Batman nut.

Samtemdo8:

Casual Shinji:

Samtemdo8:

Superman saved the day in Man of Steel in the end. It was either have Zod's necked snap or have him ravage the entire world. And it would be grim dark if it was the latter.

And all of it was accompanied by excessive amounts of death, destruction, and military bravado, because Zack Snyder can't take superheroes seriously unless they're killing and screwing eachother. Didn't he also want Batman to have been raped in prison? That dude is just perpetually trapped in the 90's.

But still I just wish DC movies were more like Alex Ross' comic books in terms of tone at the very least.

Sam, go home, your.....I don't know what the fuck you are on with that middle statement, but whatever. Whatever future films comes out, nobody cares or loses sleep, if you don't bother to see them.

CoCage:
I still feel Man of Steel gets way too much hate from "film critics" and certain YT personalities on the Internet. The movie is great aside from the color palette and some pacing problems. I know the old guard and certain parts of the Superman fandom hold the Christopher Reeves films in high regards, but none of them are flawless movies and have problems. Not to mention only two of them are good, depending on the cut. III is a waste of time, and IV is so bad, it's good. Nobody even remembers Superman Returns. Not even my father, and he's a Superman/Batman nut.

I don't think there's a single good Superman movie, live-action anyway. So I'm not really coming at it as a Reeves fanboy. (To be clear, I think Reeves is an excellent Superman, I just don't think the movies are really any good. Same with Henry Cavill.)

Man of Steel would've been fine if it had simply withheld on the destruction boner, and not having that destruction framed as Superman being heroic and saving the Earth. There's nothing horribly wrong with the script, it's just Snyder having some weird distain for superheroes who don't express their power through violence. I haven't seen Justice League, but I did catch the end credits scene, and it was shocking to see Cavill's Superman be a chill friendly guy who seemed to have some joy... like he's a big blue boyscout.

Samtemdo8:

And I don't mind that he wants Batman raped in Prison. That would be a very interesting character development for him..

Batman getting raped in prison would be good character development for batman?

Gordon_4:

Is Willem Defoe's pipe upside down or is it just me?

It's so it doesn't get wet from rain. Old-timey smoking method.

Asita:

Hawki:

What I'd actually like to know is if the film is set before the events of BvS or after the events of Justice League. Because if it's the latter, we'd have to ask how Batman apparently became younger.

*shrug* Maybe he's playing Terry McGinnis and we'll see Batman and Bruce Wayne bicker on the silver screen.

That'd be GREAT. Live Action Batman Beyond is long overdue IMHO, but at the same time, doubt it's the case.

Samtemdo8:

More independent in tone and spirit, and standing on their own legs, instead of being streamlined to fit "cinematic universe" frames?
I'd be down for that.

1. Why would Batman, of all people, get raped in prison?
2. What kind of a "character development" would that provide?

MrCalavera:

Asita:

Hawki:

What I'd actually like to know is if the film is set before the events of BvS or after the events of Justice League. Because if it's the latter, we'd have to ask how Batman apparently became younger.

*shrug* Maybe he's playing Terry McGinnis and we'll see Batman and Bruce Wayne bicker on the silver screen.

That'd be GREAT. Live Action Batman Beyond is long overdue IMHO, but at the same time, doubt it's the case.

Samtemdo8:

More independent in tone and spirit, and standing on their own legs, instead of being streamlined to fit "cinematic universe" frames?
I'd be down for that.

I never said it was good character development. I just said it was interesting. Because how the fuck would they pull this off at all?

To Quote Linkara on the whole rape thing:

Rape is not a subject to be treated lightly, and certainly not something to be used in the way it?s used here [the coming he was reviewing at the time]. Rape is often employed by writers, not because they have a story they want to tell about rape, but because rape is something that ?happens to women.? Not in the real world sense, of course, rape is something that can and does happen to people from all genders, ages, and walks of life. But in the hands of a lesser-skilled writer, rape is generally employed as a ?thing that happens to women.? And it is no less evident than in this book.
This story is not about Sue Dibny?s rape. Sue is essentially a prop, and we only see the rape in how it affects everybody else. The rape is used only as a catalyst for other characters. We don?t know how she recovers from the incident. Where is HER story? For that matter, WHY did this have to be a rape? It could have been anything else. A kidnapping. An attempted murder. Instead, it goes for rape for two reasons: One, the assumption that rape is something that ?happens to women,? and two, to give the veneer that this is a ?mature? story, edgy and more adult. But the story is not handled in an adult way. A mature story would?ve focused on the rape itself and show how it affected Sue as a character. Instead, it?s nothing more than a red herring, added for shock value. You can?t just throw adult elements into the story and ignore them. You have to deal with the consequences of it.
Oh, and by the way, this story has about four or five narrators sprinkled throughout the book. None of them are women. Just saying.

As is when rape happens to men in film its usually played for humor, so if done poorly this could be one of those films.

Casual Shinji:

Samtemdo8:

And what shit is that; having teeth and guts? Knowing how to properly handle moments of darkness and levity? Not wasting time trying set-up/add to an expanded universe? Actually being.. a movie? Yeah no, sorry.

Shazam!? Funny? I know that's what they advertised but it wasn't really. Or do you mean levity as in wasting the audience with nonsense that didn't add anything and spent way too much time on Origin stories and understanding his power. Because it felt like I was watching a TV show. In fact, Titans did it better.

Shazam! Was only good when they decided to start the story at the start of the third act. Don't get me wrong, one of the best third acts I've ever seen. But it's an hour before something happens.

And I'm not even asking for dark and gritty. That's not how Shazam! I want it to be fun, smart, tells a story and has some conflict that pushes the character forward

Samtemdo8:

MrCalavera:

Asita:

Samtemdo8:

I'd be down for that.

I never said it was good character development. I just said it was interesting. Because how the fuck would they pull this off at all?

It would give a whole new meaning to 'Boy Wonder'. Maybe have Batman drop the soap?

Samtemdo8:

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:
And my beef with Robbie is that he's too young and thin.

Because no-one has ever bulked up for a role before? As for young, he's 33, probably not too far off the age comic-Batman is theoretically supposed to be

Is he gonna bulk up to Ben Affleck's Level?

And I don't know, Robbie always this eternal 18 year old look of his face.

Affleck was fucking overweight in Justice League you can tell.

Casual Shinji:

More since Justice League as far as "course correction" goes.

Also, while I'm not fond of superhero characters who kill indiscriminately (e.g. Punisher), I'm not fond of those who are 100% "no kill" either. Arrow is an example of this.

trunkage:

Shazam!? Funny? I know that's what they advertised but it wasn't really. Or do you mean levity as in wasting the audience with nonsense that didn't add anything and spent way too much time on Origin stories and understanding his power. Because it felt like I was watching a TV show. In fact, Titans did it better.

Shazam! Was only good when they decided to start the story at the start of the third act. Don't get me wrong, one of the best third acts I've ever seen. But it's an hour before something happens.

Well, I found it funny. I also found the third act to be the weakest part, because not only does it drag, it isn't even visually entertaining.

trunkage:

And I'm not even asking for dark and gritty. That's not how Shazam! I want it to be fun, smart, tells a story and has some conflict that pushes the character forward

I didn't say 'funny', also that's very subjective. And I mean levity as in not taking itself so bloody seriously, and just having fun with the concept of superpowers. The movie was advertized as 'kid gets superpowers, and he and his best friend dick around with it', and that's what people got. You might not have liked it, but it wasn't wasting the audience's time.

Casual Shinji:

trunkage:

I didn't say 'funny', also that's very subjective. And I mean levity as in not taking itself so bloody seriously, and just having fun with the concept of superpowers. The movie was advertized as 'kid gets superpowers, and he and his best friend dick around with it', and that's what people got. You might not have liked it, but it wasn't wasting the audience's time.

Instead of serious, we got a whole bunch of short vignettes that could be unrelated to each other if not all lumped together. Its like watching Teen Titans Go. Except the later did some comedy at least sometimes. The new Titans show was funnier. All the fake teenage drama felt like I was watching 90210

And my claim was that it was also advertised as funny. Yes people did get the advertised teenager with powers routine. No, I didn't get much laughs out of this dicking around schtick.

trunkage:
Instead of serious, we got a whole bunch of short vignettes that could be unrelated to each other if not all lumped together. Its like watching Teen Titans Go. Except the later did some comedy at least sometimes. The new Titans show was funnier. All the fake teenage drama felt like I was watching 90210

Yes, because there was so much teenage drama, like.. what exactly? Two teenage boys having an argument with eachother, one looking for his birth mother? Maybe I have a very high tolerance for fake teenage drama, but I can't say I caught any of it.

And a whole bunch of short vignettes that could be unrelated to eachother if not lumped together? You mean, scenes? Scenes that flow into other scenes with the same characters as we see them progress through the movie? If you found these scenes unrelated to eachother, I don't know what kind of strict plot structure you had in mind. Again, the movie is a lighthearted superhero comedy focused primarily on two kids having fun with superpowers.

And my claim was that it was also advertised as funny. Yes people did get the advertised teenager with powers routine. No, I didn't get much laughs out of this dicking around schtick.

So what's your point; you didn't find a comedy funny? Okay..

Hawki:

Also, while I'm not fond of superhero characters who kill indiscriminately (e.g. Punisher), I'm not fond of those who are 100% "no kill" either. Arrow is an example of this.

I wouldn't really say that the Punisher kills indiscriminately. His targets criminals exclusively, and a big part of his character is, if I recall correctly, that he is very systematic when he kills his targets. He might be horrifically violent, merciless, uncompromising, possibly psychotic, definitely mentally unhinged and obsessive in his self-appointed task, but I would not say he is indiscriminate.

Samtemdo8:

Yeah, see, you keep saying that but then the things you say would make a good movie are things that Ross would never have included in a thousand years

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

Yeah, see, you keep saying that but then the things you say would make a good movie are things that Ross would never have included in a thousand years

I never said it was good, I said it was only interesting. How would they pull of Batman getting Raped in Prison?

And yes in the end I would still prefer the Ross tone for DC then batman getting raped.

Even though he deserves it for usurping Superman as the face of DC and making everything grimdark

Samtemdo8:

Palindromemordnilap:

Samtemdo8:

I never said it was good, I said it was only interesting. How would they pull of Batman getting Raped in Prison?

And yes in the end I would still prefer the Ross tone for DC then batman getting raped.

Even though he deserves it for usurping Superman as the face of DC and making everything grimdark

You're the one who seems to want everything to be grimdark homie.

Oh well, it's not like we have ever actually had someone who could do a non-terrible live-action Batman before..... well not since Adam West so have at it.

It's the DCU (he said just after a disappointing 3 hours of watching Avengers:Endgame) so he can't do any real damage.

Kenbo Slice:

Samtemdo8:

Palindromemordnilap:

IF the option is only Grimdark Seriousness or Goofy Quips and Lighthearted Irreverence, I choose the former. Because I take the idea of being a Superhero seriously. The whole with Great Power Comes Great Responsibility. It mabye be Grimdark but I can stomach grimdark stupidity better then what I saw in Shazam.

I just want the first half of Superman 1978 again. I want sweeping epic Orchestral Scores. I want it to FEEL heroic. I want this again:

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

Samtemdo8:

IF the option is only Grimdark Seriousness or Goofy Quips and Lighthearted Irreverence, I choose the former. Because I take the idea of being a Superhero seriously. The whole with Great Power Comes Great Responsibility. It mabye be Grimdark but I can stomach grimdark stupidity better then what I saw in Shazam.

I just want the first half of Superman 1978 again. I want sweeping epic Orchestral Scores. I want it to FEEL heroic. I want this again:

interesting that you say that then post the theme from Justice League/Unlimited. A series of shows that swings wider on the "Goofy Quips and Lighthearted Irreverence" circle than the grimdark serious side.

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

Kenbo Slice:

interesting that you say that then post the theme from Justice League/Unlimited. A series of shows that swings wider on the "Goofy Quips and Lighthearted Irreverence" circle than the grimdark serious side.

Its dry humor and interactions. And as far as I remember, I didn't see Justice League having someone dance in front of a badguy to distract him. I mean yeah we had the Flash, but I had characters like Superman and Jjonn Jonzz to balance the goofy characters.

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

Its dry humor and interactions. And as far as I remember, I didn't see Justice League having someone dance in front of a badguy to distract him. I mean yeah we had the Flash, but I had characters like Superman and Jjonn Jonzz to balance the goofy characters.

Justice League the animated series has an episode where Wonder Woman gets turned into a pig and Batman has to sing in a jazz club to save her.

The episode is called "This Little Piggy."

you know he's not a bad actor. Twilight sucked and it'll mark his career forever, but I've seen him in other things and he was acceptable. Harry Potter and the whatever of who cares he was good and the city of lost alphabets was neat.
And if its a tale from year-1 Batman, you cant tell me seeing him get the shit kicked out of him wouldn't quell some of those twilight hate-boners.

Dirty Hipsters:

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

Justice League the animated series has an episode where Wonder Woman gets turned into a pig and Batman has to sing in a jazz club to save her.

Justice League also had an episode of them in World War 2 fighting Nazis.

Samtemdo8:

undeadsuitor:

Samtemdo8:

Yes, and the fact that it had everything balanced out is why it's the best show. BUT, your black-and-white have-or-have-not all-or-nothing grimdark-vs-jokes views on this wouldn't let this show exist.

Samtemdo8:

Dirty Hipsters:

Samtemdo8:

Exactly, it balanced out its darker moments with moments of levity, and that's why the show was so good.

The entire reason that people hate the Zach Snyer movies is because they don't do that.

Samtemdo8:

Dirty Hipsters:

In which they don't really get into any of the atrocities the Nazis committed, instead simply having them as generic mooks riding giant armoured ferris wheels and being led by an immortal caveman. Don't think that really makes the point you were hoping it would make

Casual Shinji:

Samtemdo8:

Hawki:
Okay, seriously, did the definition of grimdark shift in the last decade? Because apart from BvS, no DCEU has even come close to being grimdark.

The amount of destruction that occurs in MoS is not that much larger than most superhero films and is about on par with what we see in the Avengers movies.

And the "military bravado" amounts to nothing more than the soldiers helping Superman and not being useless canon fodder. You'll see actually military bravado in the Captain America films.

Silentpony:
you know he's not a bad actor.

I think he's actually a very good actor.

Twilight has only determined his public fame because he's eschewed major movies since, so too few people have seen him do anything else. That would change if he took up some other big box office films.

Dirty Hipsters:

Exactly, it balanced out its darker moments with moments of levity, and that's why the show was so good.

The entire reason that people hate the Zach Snyer movies is because they don't do that.

I think DCEU was born out of Nolan's Batman series, and thought that would be the right vibe to continue after it had worked for Nolan. I can also get it if it were a way of perhaps differentiating from Marvel's more comedic tone.

It could have worked: but unfortunately for them, I think the main problem boiled down to the fact that Zac Snyder is no Christopher Nolan.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here