The Sopranos, what season is the best one to start with? (Spoilers)

Because this show is 6 seasons long (7 because Season 6 is considered a 2 parter)

But I feel the show reached its apex at a later season which I think was Season 5 because that introduced us to the characters of Tony Blundetto and Phil Leotardo, and the overall New York/Jersey Mob War plot that permeates the whole series from that point on.

Unless its important for me to watch the earlier seasons to understand the whole plot of the show? I am almost finishing the first Season but I feel a good amount of it felt like stand alone episodes or filler.

I am looking for more of a long term plot type of seasons.

Why would anybody start anywhere other than season 1?

Johnny Novgorod:

Lack of Patience of watching 7 seasons of like 12 hours worth of episodes each. My subscription on HBO Now expires next Wednesday and I won't come back until Watchmen.

And because I already spoiled myself watching so many clips of this show on Youtube before I made an account to HBO NOW.

So I know of big events like Pussy getting killed at the end of Season 2 and Junior getting arrested by the FBI and on House Arrest, and Tony killing Chris.

But to me the show got WAY more interesting when Phil Leotardo came into the picture and I want to know what season did he first started appearing.

Phil is my 2nd favorite character in the show behind Junior Soprano.

Samtemdo8:

Johnny Novgorod:

Lack of Patience of watching 7 seasons of like 12 hours worth of episodes each. My subscription on HBO Now expires next Wednesday and I won't come back until Watchmen.

And because I already spoiled myself watching so many clips of this show on Youtube before I made an account to HBO NOW.

So I know of big events like Pussy getting killed at the end of Season 2 and Junior getting arrested by the FBI and on House Arrest, and Tony killing Chris.

But to me the show got WAY more interesting when Phil Leotardo came into the picture and I want to know what season did he first started appearing.

For what it's worth, Phil (and Tony B) starts appearing early in season 5.
But if you don't have the patience for watching the show then don't watch the show. Or just keep watching clips on Youtube. Otherwise what's the point.

Johnny Novgorod:

Samtemdo8:

Johnny Novgorod:

For what it's worth, Phil (and Tony B) starts appearing early in season 5.
But if you don't have the patience for watching the show then don't watch the show. Or just keep watching clips on Youtube. Otherwise what's the point.

Well I already finished Season 1 just now. And my sub won't expire until next Wednesday. So perhaps I will try to watch it all.

But goddamn I just know the show gets WAY better when Phil and Tony B appears and the long term plot that plays out for the last 3 Seasons.

Samtemdo8:
But goddamn I just know the show gets WAY better when Phil and Tony B appears and the long term plot that plays out for the last 3 Seasons.

The Sopranos was never about some overarching plot. It's all about the characters. You have to watch it all. Season 2 is especially awesome. The finale of season 2 is one of the best episodes of any TV show ever made. Season 3 and 4 have their own awesome new characters. But I won't go into spoilers.

Adam Jensen:

Samtemdo8:

The Sopranos was never about some overarching plot. It's all about the characters. You have to watch it all. Season 2 is especially awesome. The finale of season 2 is one of the best episodes of any TV show ever made. Season 3 and 4 have their own awesome new characters. But I won't go into spoilers.

Already at Episode 2 of Season 2. But sadly I already know the conclusion of this season years ago.

So now I am only watching it to know the full context because a lot of the puzzle pieces of the stories and character developments are still missing for me.

Start with season 6 episode 21 and work backwards from there.

Du you also ask which chapter to start with when you're reading a book?

PsychedelicDiamond:
Du you also ask which chapter to start with when you're reading a book?

If the book has to be returned in 3 days yes.

Drathnoxis:
Start with season 6 episode 21 and work backwards from there.

Feeeling that to on hold, belieeeeeeeeeeevin' stop don't...

What a weird question. You HAVE to start with season 1 so you understand what's going on and the character dynamics. They are all amazing seasons anyway. Don't skip any.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here