Just another glorious day here in Off-Topic

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

When the site relaunched, the newly-returned and since-departed EiC Russ Pitts pledged "We're leaving politics at the door." Despite that pledge, this site has become a political discussion forum with occasional game news. Used to be a site to come to discuss and share a love of games and geekdom, now it's been taken over by the left and is a place for progressive/leftist political ideology. The Escapist is no longer a place for escapism. The writing is on the wall, I feel it now deep down in my bones.

Despite the bustle of V2, the sense of community is gone, replaced with toxicity and divisive politics. It wouldn't even be as bad if open and honest discussion were permitted, but it isn't. Far from being welcoming, only one ideology is tolerated and anything else gets branded [something]-phobic. There is an identity crisis on this site and has been from before R&P and even Wild West existed. It wants to be a family-friendly site, yet the audience are adults, not teens. It wants to be a games site, but allows political discussions. It permits discussion of political and religious issues, then warns and bans people for taking part. Site members are mature adults who are policed like kids, discussions of the most divisive topics are permitted but people are suspended and warned for joining them and the fun of games is fallen by the wayside.

Here is the site's own mission statement: "Escapist Magazine is an evolution in online media and community, where geeks of all kinds can watch, read, share, and contribute to everything fun - our guiding reason for being."

But despite that, the *least* fun, most boring, most controversial, most divisive and toxic posts have overtaken it. I don't blame the mods, those who have sincerely done their best and kept this site alive voluntarily, but a lack of a direction or vision has turned this site into an unwelcoming political forum new members don't want to join. What happened to Lizzie Finnegan and her award winning reporting? The Unskippable videos that made us laugh and poked fun at absurd cutscenes? The badges and quizzes, even the red button...maybe it's just wider culture overtaking the site, but it's a tragic shame that this is what it's become. This site was my place to come to indulge my love of games for a decade, I think it's just force of habit now years later that I still visit.

Dude, how are you surprised by this? The escapist forums have been the inbred child of tumblr and 4chan since at least 2010.

An update:

Can we PLEEEAAAASE bring back R&P? Off-topic isn't even usable anymore. At least when we lost Gaming Discussion to spam it was funny, this just makes me want to leave the site.

Drathnoxis:
An update:

Can we PLEEEAAAASE bring back R&P? Off-topic isn't even usable anymore. At least when we lost Gaming Discussion to spam it was funny, this just makes me want to leave the site.

Hah, yeah. As someone else said, they didn't close R&P, they closed Off-topic.

Drathnoxis:
An update:

We love polluting the place with politics.

Not caring about politics just means you have the privilege to not care.

Saelune:

Well that's a complete load... Nobody in these recent posts said they didn't care about politics. They only said they'd like it to be sectioned into its own place, like it used to be, so that we don't mix and merge types of discussion

Drathnoxis:

Then make more Off-Topic threads: fill the forum with non-R&P discussion.

Not directed at you personally, but...

Be the change you want to see in the world, take responsibility for the content of your forums, etc. This is user-generated material. Why do so many people seem to think everyone else should be creating debate, and are unhappy when they aren't generating the "right" sort of stuff?

Agema:

Drathnoxis:

Be the change you want to see in the world, take responsibility for the content of your forums, etc. This is user-generated material. Why do so many people seem to think everyone else should be creating debate, and are unhappy when they aren't generating the "right" sort of stuff?

Although, yes there are far more political discussions going on and more people participating in them at present, Our new editor let us know they were going to be focusing on games and movies, so it makes more sense with the theme of the site to make a film and television subforum than a R&P subforum taking what he said into consideration. Of course they could make a "real life" subforum to discuss all current events including R&P and whatever else is happening in the real world if they really want to "escape from reality" in Off Topic due to so many real events tying into politics as well due to the reality of the world we live in. But I dunno, it may just be easier for them to have less subforums to police overall, I am not sure what their planned layout is or whether it would be feasible in the first place.

Just to let everybody know, this month's feedback thread is over here:

https://v1.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/703.1057306-The-State-of-Escapist-Magazine-August-2019

So let your feedback be known.

Agema:

Drathnoxis:

R&P threads tend to move faster though, since people are caught up in more contentious arguments and keep coming back. Whereas other threads sink to the bottom because they don't generate as many arguments.

Saelune:

I can hardly imagine that there are many people who's lives depend on constantly arguing about politics on some forum on the internet that's fading into obscurity. Half the people you argue with here don't even live in your country.

And even if one does care about politics, why is it required that one be constantly engaged with the topic. Is it so bad to have a place where people can get along with one another and discuss entertainment, ignorant of the fact that they may be ideological enemies? The site is called 'the Escapist' after all.

Red Sentinel:

Drathnoxis:
An update:

Hah, yeah. As someone else said, they didn't close R&P, they closed Off-topic.

Who ever said this is right on the money

Drathnoxis:

Agema:

Drathnoxis:

R&P threads tend to move faster though, since people are caught up in more contentious arguments and keep coming back. Whereas other threads sink to the bottom because they don't generate as many arguments.

Saelune:

I can hardly imagine that there are many people who's lives depend on constantly arguing about politics on some forum on the internet that's fading into obscurity. Half the people you argue with here don't even live in your country.

And even if one does care about politics, why is it required that one be constantly engaged with the topic. Is it so bad to have a place where people can get along with one another and discuss entertainment, ignorant of the fact that they may be ideological enemies? The site is called 'the Escapist' after all.

I don't see many of the exchanges as being contentious. Honestly I've seen far more toxic, actually contentious and petty crap in the gaming section over the years than I have in R&P.

And I think the "gaming community" honestly does need to be aware of real world politics to some extent. A lot of what's happened over the years in the gaming community, including on this site, has been because of extremely reactionary politics fostered by ignorance and disdain. Escapism becomes a problem when it's all one seeks. I do think R&P needs to be brought back though. It also doesn't all have to be direct, real world politics either. We could easily have discussions about the politics of various games or movies or whatever, and how the time period they were made in reflects on that n' whatnot. That'd be fun.

Elvis Starburst:

Saelune:

Well that's a complete load... Nobody in these recent posts said they didn't care about politics. They only said they'd like it to be sectioned into its own place, like it used to be, so that we don't mix and merge types of discussion

There are a bunch of people who have made it quite clear the very existence of politics offends them.

Drathnoxis:

Agema:

Drathnoxis:

Saelune:

I don't give a fuck about Infinity Train. Instead of going in that topic and making a big deal of how I don't like it, I just am choosing to not post in it at all and let those who like it and want to discuss it do so in peace.

Its not complicated.

Saelune:

Drathnoxis:

Saelune:

I don't give a fuck about Infinity Train. Instead of going in that topic and making a big deal of how I don't like it, I just am choosing to not post in it at all and let those who like it and want to discuss it do so in peace.

Its not complicated.

Not caring about Infinity Train just means you have the privilege to not care.

I'm not really sure how what you're saying relates to the rest of our conversation. I'm not in a political thread complaining about political threads. I'm in a thread complaining about political threads complaining about political threads. If you don't like complaining about political threads you can let those who like it and want to discuss it do so in peace.

Edit: You know what, actually? That's such a load of crap. I remember how you were when the Wild West started.

Drathnoxis:

Saelune:

Drathnoxis:

Its not complicated.

Not caring about Infinity Train just means you have the privilege to not care.

I'm not really sure how what you're saying relates to the rest of our conversation. I'm not in a political thread complaining about political threads. I'm in a thread complaining about political threads complaining about political threads. If you don't like complaining about political threads you can let those who like it and want to discuss it do so in peace.

Edit: You know what, actually? That's such a load of crap. I remember how you were when the Wild West started.

I certainly wasn't physically forced to watch it, and that's a privilege I am proud to have.

Do you think I am blaming you personally?

The problem was the lack of rules at all and people saying Nazi shit.

It's a shame but I think they are just going to ban politics one day.

I love the escapist forums, you can say practically anything here, stuff that would get you banned in other places, as long as you know how to keep it civil and not insult people. You can talk about all the hot button issues like trans, sexuality and religion without getting banned as long as you don't just call somebody a dickhead. Those rules lead to some great conversations that I learned a lot from over the years.

I notice they've had one big sucess if it were their goal: they've entirely killed off religious discussion.....

Fieldy409:
You can talk about all the hot button issues like trans, sexuality and religion without getting banned

That policy came back to bite them in the end though. They decided to allow 'that' hot-button topic 5 years ago and welcomed all that came with it, and it took over the forum and basically destroyed the site.

If they had banned all mention of it like other sites did (like they've done now), I do wonder if this site would be in a healthier state.
It certainly would have a better reputation, - a lot of the internet still thinks that The Escapist is still a hub for advocates and supporters of that topic. Mentioning "The Escapist" on other sites will still get you a few scrunched up noses as a response, even today, because of those bad memories.

I'm with everyone else, bring back the R&P section. I'm so sick of having to wade through political topics to get the the stuff i want to comment on...

At least keep politics until November next year.

Marik2:

The majority of the site will either be in a much better mood overall or they'll be seething in rage and spiraling deeper into cynicism.

Either way

Shadowstar38:

Marik2:

The majority of the site will either be in a much better mood overall or they'll be seething in rage and spiraling deeper into cynicism.

Either way

It's the only reason why I'm here.

Red Sentinel:

Fieldy409:
You can talk about all the hot button issues like trans, sexuality and religion without getting banned

That policy came back to bite them in the end though. They decided to allow 'that' hot-button topic 5 years ago and welcomed all that came with it, and it took over the forum and basically destroyed the site.

If they had banned all mention of it like other sites did (like they've done now), I do wonder if this site would be in a healthier state.
It certainly would have a better reputation, - a lot of the internet still thinks that The Escapist is still a hub for advocates and supporters of that topic. Mentioning "The Escapist" on other sites will still get you a few scrunched up noses as a response, even today, because of those bad memories.

Well the Escapist had a lot of issues beyond that one so I don't know if its fair to just blame that. And they did move it into that megathread at first and then the old games industry forum. And the way other people react isn't their fault. But now we should probably be careful we don't get in trouble talking about that....

And at the end of the day I still think the forum had some great rules for conversation. It took me like a year to adjust to it when I joined that nearly saw me banned but I managed to figure it out.

A lot of people couldn't keep their cool and called the site biased when they exploded over having their ideas challenged, threw out insults and got banned I think, then went on to hold a grudge. But sometimes you need to seperate the wheat from the chaff to have a decent discussion. Depending on who you ask this site is either a conservative hellhole or a liberal cesspit lol.

Saelune:

Drathnoxis:

Saelune:

Its not complicated.

Don't. You. Even. DARE.

Saelune:
Daniel Craig sucked as Bond anyways and we are literally having people defend Concentration Camps in America.

This doesnt matter.

Going into other people's threads just to shit their bed is one thing. Being a massive hypocrite by pretending you're above doing so while showing by your actions that you're only too happy to sink to those depths? That's next level.

Squilookle:

Saelune:

Its not complicated.

Don't. You. Even. DARE.

Saelune:
Daniel Craig sucked as Bond anyways and we are literally having people defend Concentration Camps in America.

This doesnt matter.

Going into other people's threads just to shit their bed is one thing. Being a massive hypocrite by pretending you're above doing so while showing by your actions that you're only too happy to sink to those depths? That's next level.

For the love of... Come on. Like... Come. On. One has to stick to their own principles at least at little

Drathnoxis:
Off-topic isn't even usable anymore.

Why not? What's stopping you or anyone from posting stuff about My Little Pony or whirlpools or any of the stuff people would fill off-topic with in the good old days?

Yes, people are more interested in talking about politics (especially at the moment). So?

Elvis Starburst:

Squilookle:
Snip

Snip

So neither of you are going to assume that she learned from the mistake, that she's not going to do specifically because of the backlash she got last time? Just going to jump straight into accusations are we?

Palindromemordnilap:

Elvis Starburst:

Squilookle:
Snip

Snip

So neither of you are going to assume that she learned from the mistake, that she's not going to do specifically because of the backlash she got last time? Just going to jump straight into accusations are we?

I was prepared to let it slide right up to the part where she declared that "it's not complicated"

Clearly she found it more than a bit complicated when she utterly failed to walk the walk that she talks. Maybe she's grown, maybe she hasn't. But someone who fails an exam loses the right to say it's a cinch if they only manage to pass that same exam on a much later attempt.

Palindromemordnilap:

Alright, I'll acknowledge that much. Was it a fair assumption to make at the drop of a hat? Maybe not. Could she have learned from that past situation? Hope so. On the flip side though...

Squilookle:

I was prepared to let it slide right up to the part where she declared that "it's not complicated"

Clearly she found it more than a bit complicated when she utterly failed to walk the walk that she talks. Maybe she's grown, maybe she hasn't. But someone who fails an exam loses the right to say it's a cinch if they only manage to pass that same exam on a much later attempt.

... Yeah, that's the feeling I had when I read it. It shows an air of arrogance that is not in the least bit justified or earned

Squilookle:

Saelune:

Drathnoxis:

Its not complicated.

Don't. You. Even. DARE.

Saelune:

This doesnt matter.

It doesn't matter cause people want to complain about black people when white supremacy is alive and well, THATS why it doesn't matter, cause of the POLITICAL bullshit involved.

Its the same shit when people pretend a black person calling white people cracker is the same as a white person using the N word. Its not.

Elvis Starburst:

Palindromemordnilap:

Alright, I'll acknowledge that much. Was it a fair assumption to make at the drop of a hat? Maybe not. Could she have learned from that past situation? Hope so. On the flip side though...

Squilookle:

... Yeah, that's the feeling I had when I read it. It shows an air of arrogance that is not in the least bit justified or earned

Im not wrong.

Palindromemordnilap:

Elvis Starburst:

Squilookle:
Snip

Snip

I get backlash constantly. But usually the backlash just proves my point.

As for the Bond thing, clearly both of them missed that point entirely. It wasnt about how talking about interests is unimportant, and if that is what peopel took away, they took away the wrong thing. Or am I a hypocrite for recommending the indie game Barony?

Palindromemordnilap:

Elvis Starburst:

Squilookle:
Snip

Snip

Turns out, nothing was learned and the complaints panned out so \_(ツ)_/

Saelune:

Elvis Starburst:

Im not wrong.

Saelune:
usually the backlash just proves my point.

Well that's certainly answered the question of whether you've learned anything from your mistake or not

To comment on the R&P issue.

I admit that i frequented that forum at times and had some productive discussions.

That said, i feel the moderation could be better on some level in both moderating the conduct of people and moderating the dialectic to ensure that the debate is kept on track. I admit that I don't know fully how to reach that state of "better" but I would like the R&P forum to reach the point of the idealized Greek Forums: high end political and philosophic discussions done with strict adherence to the principles of debate with well done constructing and rebuttal arguments.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here